ADVERTISEMENT

Salem vs Lake Taylor: The Game we've been waiting for

one man

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 8, 2002
Charlottesville, VA
All the hype is finally here. North vs South. Most of us in the North think this Salem team can at least keep this game competitive if not pull the upset. Lake Taylor is back in the title game after winning it two years ago. Both teams have had fantastic seasons to this point, they both got tested in the playoffs and showed championship qualities to win the games. LT appears to be pretty healthy while Salem looks to be limping in a bit. Keep Fox off of offense last week probably helped him but I'm sure he'll be in the backfield for his last hoooraaahhh. Let's look closely at the matchups.

When LT has the ball:
Split Veer vs Multiple D. LT wants to run the football and control the clock, wear you down and beat you into submission. They've moved the ball on everybody they've played, last week I think they shot themselves in the foot a few times but don't let the scoreboard fool you, they moved the ball well most of the night. Salem defense started slow against power run team Woodgrove but got it together 2nd half. They came out much stronger yesterday against Liberty's power run. They gave up some yards but the focus and intensity was much better and Liberty's line is just as big and physical as LT will be, the difference comes with the skill guys that LT have. They'll be more along the lines of GW Danville at the skill spots and as we saw two weeks ago, the GW offense moved the ball pretty well on the Spartans, the Eagles fell victim to some timely turnovers and inability to stop Salem offense. Salem is the most fundamentally sound football team you will find. Those coaches always have them well prepared for whatever style of offense they are facing. To me, Salem will give up a few big runs but for the most part I expect them to contain the veer better than most people have this year. For LT to keep Salem guessing, Johnson is going to have to make plays with his arm. For Salem to win this battle, they have to get pressure on Johnson and make him uncomfortable. The pressure has to be controlled though as Johnson can take off and make plays with his feet which as we've seen this playoffs, mobile QBs have done well against Spartans. Quinerly against Womack on the outside is important matchup, Clements did a number on the Salem Secondary and I think he's a better receiver than Quinerly but not by a whole lot, Quinerly is capable of making similar plays and having 3 or 4 catches for 60-80 yards.

When Salem has the ball:
pro style vs pressure/man. Salem is as balanced a team as you will find. LT has arguably the best defense in the state. Will be huge struggle here. For Salem to be successful, Coulling will have to be on his A-game and he'll have to make some big time throws. Salem rushes for over 200 a game, LT gives up 50. No way LT holds Salem to 50 and the only way Salem will reach 200 is if Coulling is keeping LT off balance and Fox is back to 100 % which may or may not be the case. I'm interested to see how the Salem OLine deals with all the pressure they will face. Coullling is dealing with an injury himself, it the Titans can rattle him early and get him off his game, it'll bode well for their chances. I predict Fox will need to have a big game as a receiver out of the backfield and in the slot for Salem to have a chance. LT has given up some deep balls to Kings Fork and Monacan, Salem will need to hit on 1 or 2 deep balls at some point. Can Salem sustain drives against LT, I'm not so sure so a big play here or there will be critical.

At the end of the day, the game is going to come down to which QB can make key throws at critical junctures. Which QB can convert on 3rd down. What goes hand and hand with the QBs making big plays, the secondary making big plays. LT clearly has the better DBs, whichever group can come up with an interception or critical break up. The other big factor in this game to me is special teams. LT kicking game was quite shaky the other night and almost cost them the game. Salem has a good kicker, if comes down to kicking, Salem has edge. If one team seizes control of the game, it all becomes mute. I just don't see this one being a runaway for some reason.

All in all this game looks to have the makings of a classic. No one really knows, we could end up with a blowout. My hope is that both teams bring their A-Game and we get a classic, may the best team win. Good Luck Devils to your Titans and Good Luck to Spartan Nation. Both teams have had special seasons and regardless of the outcome of the game, the memories and stories of these two teams will last a while. I'm still not sure if I'm going to be come see the game live or watch online, weather forecast will probably decide for me. If I do attend, there is a large lists of posters I'd like to meet, will post on that as the forecast becomes clear.

Excellent, excellent, post. There is nothing to add.

Plenty of places to stay out of the rain at the stadium. I hope you will come.

I'll wait for you to start the thead on a meeting place and time, because like you, I'm looking forward to meeting many of our posters personally.

Just for starters, I will be there. Mike Salem will be there if I have to carry him on my back. Bleeding Navy should be there, but I haven't talked to him yet. GHawks76 indicated he should be there. Devils99 will be there, but depending on if we can meet maybe twice, once early and again later, he should be able to slip over for a few minutes. You know that everyone from Salem will be there, that's about a million I think. Wikki will be there if we can get her out of the hospitality suite for a few minutes. Shaunty is going to try to come down.

It will be neat to see how many we can get together.

Back to the game, wow. Should be about as great a game as any of us could hope to see. And the 3a game should be just as much fun.

I think the fact that Glenvar is playing in the Div 2 championship in Salem will limits Salem's crowd size at Liberty. There is great support in the community for both teams and I think people will be willing to skip Salem's game against LT because there is a decent chance LT will blow them off the field, and this is Glenvar's first championship game. I could be wrong but a 5 min drive to Salem stadium is easier than a 1:30 trek to Lynchburg. I was watching the LT vs Oscar Smith game that was on ESPN last year. I know LT was blown out in that game but they really do have superior athletes and unless they have major injuries or play terrible I don't think Salem will win.

Wow! I'm with DP on this one...superb analysis! I really can't think of much to add. I'm with you that Salem will try and get Fox in offensively somehow regardless of how healthy his ankle is. I said it last week after some Salem fans were concerned after the injury against GW, Fox can be used in a very dangerous way in the slot. His vertical speed is still good and he wouldn't have to take the bashing he would at TB. Plus, I really, really like the Claiborne kid. He's shifty, has great acceleration, reads blocks well, and can get "lost" amongst the big O and D lines of Salem and LT, only to pop up six yards down field. He did that a number of times against Liberty. If I'm Salem, I get Fox, Claiborne, and Ramsey on the field at the same time as many times as possible. I'm not saying completely avoid Fox at TB, but mix it up and get him in the slot often. He made a great comment in the paper this morning commending Claiborne and even said he "was as good if not better" than he was. I don't think I'd go that far, but Claiborne is a weapon. Overall, I think Salem will have to play an absolute perfect game to win. LT is so big and fast. I was very impressed with the highlights I saw throughout the year. On paper when I look at them, I ask myself "How did anyone keep it close with those guys?" Then again, the game isn't played on paper. Salem has an uncanny ability to keep it close despite any hype or paper stats. I mean, how many times in the last 10 years has a team beat them by more than two td's. They always seem to be in a position to win in the 4th qtr and that is again the way it will have to be for them to have a shot next Saturday. The hype for this game reminds me of the Salem/Amherst 06 and 07 games. Both games were classics, both drew enormous crowds, both had huge displays of athleticism, great coaching, and smash mouth football. I expect this game to be exactly the same. Salem lost both of those, but just as easily could have pulled the upset. LT will be fired up and angry after last week's scare and everyone's "vulnerability" statements. I look for them to take an early lead and be up by 10-14 going into the 4th, but in the end I see Salem closing the gap and making it a last possession game that has everybody on their toes (at least, that's what I'm hoping for). GL to both, but Salem bring that trophy to the North!!!

DP, I will be at the Salem/LT game and would love to meet up. I'll be with my dad who has some health concerns and is very slow moving, but probably will be able to get away for a few minutes. If the thread starts we could all maybe set up a time and place to meet.

Originally posted by one man:

When LT has the ball:
Split Veer vs Multiple D. LT wants to run the football and control the clock, wear you down and beat you into submission.

This is the only part that I would change. Lake Taylor looks for big plays A LOT.

It's not Coach Herman Boone's split-back veer from Remember The Titans. They do not care one bit about the clock, they use the veer to draw in your secondary so that they can get one-one matchups on the outside either for quick screens or something over the top.

Pull out the old film

Years ago in the early 90's Graham showed up in Salem Stadium undefeated and unscored on. They had accomplished this by doing a lot run blitz and putting pressure on the other teams offense. Marcus Parker ran wild and Salem won the game. Maybe worth a watch.

Mm. Another oops. Sorry.

This post was edited on 12/7 5:47 PM by DinwiddieProud

Rod, you are right. I saw that against Dinwiddie. Problem for us was that it worked.

And that is the biggest challenge, they do almost every thing they do, very well. And when their discipline breaks down, their athletism covers for it.

Fox and the other backs are good and will certainly get their yards, but I watched how well the LT players kept their heads up on defense, and seemed to always play off their blockers at the right time, and to the correct side. That helps explain 50 yards a game rushing against them.

It is certainly not news that LT puts all eleven as close to the ball as the offensive formation will allow, and then basically says, run on us if you can. And when you can't run successfully and have to pass, they lay back their ears and go after the QB. You have got to either block exceptionally well on pass defense, and the have an accurate QB with a couple of receivers with great hands, or come up with a scheme that gets your running back past the line of scrimmage unbelievably fast, or you will struggle to be successful.

I've seen Salem and LT this year. What worries me about Salem is the time it takes for their offensive plays to develope. Mind you, I saw them in their third game against Northside, and I know they have continued to improve to the great team they are now. But, two weeks ago, LT was all over our offense on every play. We did not have the line Salem has, but we are not exactly without talent either.

Like was said above,Salem has to have a very good game plan, ala Monacan, and play a near perfect game. That was Dinwiddie's plan against LT. It worked for about one quarter. Awful hard to have a perfect game against Lake Taylor.

For what it is worth, their place kicking efforts are suspect. That is obvious to anyone that has seen any films, or read much about their games. But, if your plan is to force them to kick field goals to beat you, you could be in a little trouble.

Incidentally, their punting seemed to be pretty good. Nothing stood out to me that would cause me to say that it is a weakness.

Monacan proved that they can be beat. It will take everything everybody has talked about, and then some, but they are not invincible. Unfortunately, for Salem and 14 other opponents, they have sure played like they are this year.

Re: Pull out the old film

Wasn't it late 80's & Richard Goodpasture????????
I was there along w/ 10,000 others....,...double check SB.

RKE, no problem at all. For that matter we can meet were your Dad will be. Mike will be there, and he ain't the most mobile guy in the group either. And if Bleeding Navy can bring his Dad, his Dad has some health issues too, that may limit his mobility. And my buddy Ghawks76 mentioned to me that he was having a health issue a few weeks back, so he may be slowed. Maybe we should all just gather at a nursing home, and watch the game on a big screen TV.

But seriously, whatever it takes, I want all that are interested, to meet up and get to know each other a little bit. And those that want to can exchange e-mails, phone numbers, etc. After all, we all share a common interest and a bond. We love high school football, but more importantly, we have a tremendous desire to see the kids have opportunities and great guidance.

DP

my memory says Parker but the memory is the first thing to go and my memory has let me down a few times lately

When the snap is slow or off target, punting is a weakness. Special teams should take advantage.

My memory is all I have left. It was 1989. Score 23-6 Salem
w / Richard Goodpasture toting the ball. A year or so before
Parker. Goggle 1989 Graham G- men. Complete story on
steak being broke.

LU is very strict, it is hard to leave the suite once I get there, but I will try just let me know where and when

NIce Job OneMan. Here is my take(similar)

The following is my attempt to give an unbiased objective analysis of the upcoming 4A State Championship game. One man you did a wonderful job on your analysis and I know some of my opinions are similar, but I typed it Friday night and did not want to change it.

Offense:

Lake Taylor uses a twin veer system with plenty of weapons. The fullback is the first option on every running play. He hits the hole hard and fast. Hard to tackle with just one man. The quarterback has a sound sense of when the middle is open and has no problem letting the fullback pound it, but if it's not there, he will pull it out (nice delay freezes linebackers) and get to the edge in good position to make the pitch or cut it up field. The most intriguing part of his game is his ability to cut the ball up field prior to getting to the edge. This makes him very hard to defend. His pitches and fakes are precise; however, once he cuts the ball up field he too is difficult to tackle. He looks like he is barely moving, but he has speed and is a defensive backs nightmare. LT uses several sets that includes motion to help get their backs to the edge quickly. Their backs have breakaway speed and cut back against the grain well. LT is not afraid to pass the ball and their receivers have the speed to beat you deep. They also utilize quick passes to the receivers to generate one on one match ups. The O-line is stout and are used to handling speed and power rushers.

How to defend LT: Dinwiddie failed miserably, because their ends got sucked in and the linebackers were forced to stay with the fullback. Salem must be able to clog the middle up and tackle the fullback; therefore, leaving the linebackers to concentrate on stopping the quarterback. The ends must turn every play in to the strength of Salem's defense (linebackers). Using a strong safety or extra linebacker is recommended. Salem will also have to play man on man coverage with the receivers and tight end. If they don't LT will run the ball for big gains. Simply put you have to pick your poison. Playing as many men close to box and stringing out running plays is the best defense against LT. If they beat you deep so be it. One additional option. If Salem gambles and are able to get pressure on the quarterback he will make bad throws leading to possible interceptions. Tough gamble.

Salem uses various sets with a fullback and tailback combo. They have several good tailbacks and fullbacks. I was very impressed with their depth and toughness. Salem backs rarely go down on the first hit and Fox/Ramsey are the real deal. The O line is big and strong and the fullbacks block well. The O Line seems to be able to change blocking assignments at the line and work well as a group. Salem's balance is their biggest strength and using Fox as a receiver is a definite plus. Was really impressed with their counter traps and motion. Their quarterback is smart, very accurate and uses a variety of receivers. They are a run first team, but effectively use short and passes to the tight end to keep you honest. They remind me of the early 1980 Redskin teams. Stop us if you can.

How to defend Salem: LT cannot let Salem control the tempo. They must stop the run on first and second down forcing Salem to pass. LT needs to utilize there D-Line speed to put pressure on the quarterback. When pressured he has made some mistakes and thrown some poor balls. Being able to cover Salem's receivers man to man will allow everyone else to focus on the run game. LT must be aware of seam routes by the tight end.

Defense:

LT plays a gap defense with d-backs manning up with receivers. They can cover anyone man to man which allows the linebackers freedom to blitz. The D-line is quick off the ball and will push the line backwards if you allow them to. Moving Quinerly to linebacker made them even better.

How to move the ball on LT: Quick hitting run plays and precise short passes. For mid range or slow developing passes Salem's quarterback must move out of the pocket or he will take a beating. If Salem can give the quarterback time he can beat them with seam routes and post to the middle. It is always open, but the problem is most quarterbacks don't have time to let the routes play out. The Salem quarterback can also have success outside of the pocket if he runs the ball. Run-pass option plays may just work.

Salem runs a traditional defense. There D-Line is a little small, but quick. They have good technique and their linebackers are physical. There D-backs are not as fast as LT is use to, but they do a good job tackling and covering with help over the top. Salem's strength is their ability to play within the system. They don't make a lot of mistakes.

How to move the ball on Salem: Make the linebackers play the middle and test them with the option early. If LT gets good yards on first down they will be able to exploit the d-backs for Salem. Need to keep Salem guessing by throwing on first down and running on third and long. Salem plays close to the belt on defense so they will play their backs deeper. Quick passes to receivers could go for big gains.

Special teams:

LT: Has good kick and punt returners. Dinwiddie recovered two onside kicks, but I am sure they have fixed that. Their punter is decent, but not great. Their kicking game is their weakness. Salem should be able to get good field position after kickoffs. PAT's and field goals are iffy. Nothing special here.

Salem: They probably have the best special team play of anyone in 4A. Kicker and punter are both very good and they cover kicks/punts well. Again they don't make a lot of mistakes.

Summary:

There are mixed reviews about whether this game will be a blow out or a close one. I personally think it depends on tempo. If Salem controls the ball and can keep LT's offense off the field for long stretches the game will be close. If Salem has a lot of three and outs watch out. Even with Salem's depth the power of LT may wear them down in the end. The Salem O line vs. LT front 7 will be pivotal for either team. The other obvious key for both teams is to play their games and not let the other team force them into doing something out of the norm. Good luck to both teams. You have fought hard all season and earned the opportunity to call yourself State Champs. This my friends will be something to see.

Prediction: Lake Taylor in a close one, but I may have to enjoy some crow with ketchup.

I'm confident we can figure some way. I at least want to get a hug. I can wait a year to eat your delicious food, but I'll die without a hug to hold me for another year.

Great job Navy. You said it correct about Dinwiddie. We knew what had to be done, and simply could not get it done. The two things that hastened our departure were, mistake free football, we didn't do that, plus losing two of our very best defensive players by the end of the 1st quarter.

Salem can't control the injury bug, but they have to play nearly perfect, smart, football to have a chance. And I think they will. They are a polished, solid team. Plus, this officiating crew will be an allstar team. They will let the boys play, and be very conservative with the judgement type calls, such as holding.

I really don't think this factor will have any real affect, but Salem will be the home team and almost assuredly will have a larger crowd in attendance. Lake Taylor will have a decent crowd, but I'm afraid they will look kind of small on the visitors side because of the plain Jane design of the seating on that side. But Salem has a bit of a reputation for not being as wild and vocal as some team's fans.

If the weather prediction holds, I think this game will create a lot of fan holdover. Last year it was so cold and damp, when the fans of the first game got the game over, most headed home to warm up. With good weather, and this exciting game, I think we will see much larger crowds for the second game. And, unless these first game fans are die hard LT fans, most everyone that holds over will sit on Salem's side, regardless of who they root for. The facilities are just more comfortable and accomadating on that side,

Are you bringing your Dad?

Re: NIce Job OneMan. Here is my take(similar)

Navy,

Excellent post! I think you and Oneman have covered the analysis about as good as it can be covered. I'll be interested to see what Roanoke Times' sports writer (Robert Anderson) says and who he picks. He has done remarkably well this year. Looking forward to it and agree with you that both squads should be extremely proud despite whatever the outcome ends up being.

This post was edited on 12/8 6:11 AM by RKE Fan

One man

Can you please come to the 3A and give your insight on the Magna Vista vs Lafayette match up as well as any other posters? I'm curious to get a little more insight on this game.

ADVERTISEMENT