ADVERTISEMENT

Salem vs. Lake Taylor

GilliamRatings

VaPreps All State
Jun 5, 2001
Orange, Virginia
I know Lake Taylor has to be the favorite, but I don't think there is any reason whatsoever to think the game will get out of hand like last year. I actually won't be surprised at all to a Spartan upset. They've got a lot better team than last year it seems.

Reactions: wikki
Depends on a lot. Two very capable squads. I agree. Either can win. I do not see LT as unbeatable at all. Salem has shown they can play a perfect game against a quality unit.

I hope we see each team at their best and may the best squad win. GL to both on Saturday.

Lake Taylor doesn't look like the same team as last year allowing so many points to be scored, defense just doesn't seem to be as good. Salem's offense looks more dangerous than it was last year and with everyone going in healthy it should be a good matchup and I don't even have to mention the Salem defense, their isn't a team that has been able to penetrate it. Lake Taylors offense still looks very good running the option with #5 and #2 and #53. This should be a much better matchup than what it was last year, Salem went in with a scheme that didn't work and seemed to try and run the ball to prove a point rather than utilizing all the offensive firepower. I see Salem with an victory over Laker Taylor.

Lake Taylor doesn't look like the same team as last year allowing so many points to be scored, defense just doesn't seem to be as good.
Don't let those points allowed fool you...Defense is still pretty good..

What caused the high point totals against oponents? Was it turnovers?
Hanover ran 80 plays and had the ball for 34 minutes out of a possible 48. Recovered 2 onside kicks and got aided by penalties.
KF- was just a comedy of errors they probably earned 1 td
Courtland- the 6 they have in the first half was penalty aided and then a blown fumble call when the kid fumbled clearly out of bounds for a touchback..Their last TD and 2 point conversion we were trying to just let them run the clock out.

Like I said everyone wants to focus on the points our defense has given up, but look at the offensive numbers.

Looks like Salem the favorite to me:
http://www.vhsl-reference.com/state_finals_2015.cfm

Hanover ran 80 plays and had the ball for 34 minutes out of a possible 48. Recovered 2 onside kicks and got aided by penalties.
Courtland- the 6 they have in the first half was penalty aided and then a blown fumble call when the kid fumbled clearly out of bounds for a touchback..Their last TD and 2 point conversion we were trying to just let them run the clock out.

Like I said everyone wants to focus on the points our defense has given up, but look at the offensive numbers.

How do they come up with their predictions? Stats?

I'm sure your defense is good. It will be a good game.

How do they come up with their predictions? Stats?

I'm sure your defense is good. It will be a good game.

I can't speak for the others, but stats have very, very little to do with our predictions as I see as many good teams in the state as I can live (Yes, I've seen both Salem and Lake Taylor) and I watch a stupid amount of film on teams.

I can't speak for the others, but stats have very, very little to do with our predictions as I see as many good teams in the state as I can live (Yes, I've seen both Salem and Lake Taylor) and I watch a stupid amount of film on teams.
I agree Rod. Can't look at the statistics and use them to make a prediction about this game . The fact that neither team has a single common opponent makes it virtually impossible. Listen, I'm as big a Salem fan as their is but I will be the first to say that LT is and should be the overwhelming favorite in this game. I saw the LT/Salem game last year and understand the challenge my Spartans have in front of them on Saturday. My hope is that the coaches and players learned a lot from last year and will adjust some things in order to give them a better chance to pull the upset. In my opinion Salem will have to play nearly perfect and hope LT turns the ball over a couple times to have a chance to win.

Last edited:
I agree Rod. Can't look at the statistics and use them to make a prediction about this game . The fact that neither team has a single common opponent makes it vertically impossible. Listen, I'm as big a Salem fan as their is but I will be the first to say that LT is and should be the overwhelming favorite in this game. I saw the LT/Salem game last year and understand the challenge my Spartans have in front of them on Saturday. My hope is that the coaches and players learned a lot from last year and will adjust some things in order to give them a better chance to pull the upset. In my opinion Salem will have to play nearly perfect and hope LT turns the ball over a couple times to have a chance to win.

I don't think that you have any worry about your coaches making changes. You've got one of the best in the state and I'm sure that he's hatched a yearlong plan that will be unleashed on Saturday.

Of course, Lake Taylor will have some tricks up their sleeves as well.

Hope that you get to see a good one.

I don't think that you have any worry about your coaches making changes. You've got one of the best in the state and I'm sure that he's hatched a yearlong plan that will be unleashed on Saturday.

Of course, Lake Taylor will have some tricks up their sleeves as well.

Hope that you get to see a good one.
IMWT (In Mags We Trust)

Reactions: salemfan32
Salem does what Salem does-----It has been unbelievably successful over the years----I don't look for them to make a lot of changes-----they will just try to do what they do as well as they possibly can.

Depends on a lot. Two very capable squads. I agree. Either can win. I do not see LT as unbeatable at all. Salem has shown they can play a perfect game against a quality unit.

I hope we see each team at their best and may the best squad win. GL to both on Saturday.
Shaun can you name anyone team on Salem's schedule that's comparable to LT?

There is none but what does that prove? That's why this is the State final. Two best teams in the State playing for all the marbles this Saturday.

There is none but what does that prove? That's why this is the State final. Two best teams in the State playing for all the marbles this Saturday.
Shaun made the comment "Salem has shown they can play a perfect game against a quality unit." I was just asking if the quality unit was comparable to LT. BUT of course SalemPride you always find a way to make something out of my comments? How many threads have been closed the last month when you decide to reply to other people comments? Until Salem finds a way to beat LT I will never pick them as the favorite against LT. Is that a crime? Obviously you are a ride or die Salem fan and I have no problem with that. To be honest I'm not a fan of either team. I just look at their schedule and take a look at your schedule...then I take a look at the make up of the team to make my opinion. And my opinion is they may be too explosive for you all. Salem may have a good 10+ play drive and end up with 3 points or a punt for good field position, then LT may turn around and in a play or two score a TD. Is Salem built to play from behind? Obviously LT is built to play from a deficit. Weren't they down one game like 26-7 and came back to win by multiple TDs? I'm predicting this thread will be closed soon because SalemPride can't handle Salem not being picked as the favorite and will always have comments against those who do not pick Salem.

Shaun made the comment "Salem has shown they can play a perfect game against a quality unit." I was just asking if the quality unit was comparable to LT. BUT of course SalemPride you always find a way to make something out of my comments? How many threads have been closed the last month when you decide to reply to other people comments? Until Salem finds a way to beat LT I will never pick them as the favorite against LT. Is that a crime? Obviously you are a ride or die Salem fan and I have no problem with that. To be honest I'm not a fan of either team. I just look at their schedule and take a look at your schedule...then I take a look at the make up of the team to make my opinion. And my opinion is they may be too explosive for you all. Salem may have a good 10+ play drive and end up with 3 points or a punt for good field position, then LT may turn around and in a play or two score a TD. Is Salem built to play from behind? Obviously LT is built to play from a deficit. Weren't they down one game like 26-7 and came back to win by multiple TDs? I'm predicting this thread will be closed soon because SalemPride can't handle Salem not being picked as the favorite and will always have comments against those who do not pick Salem.
Jefferson Forest was a quality opponent and Salem played very well against them. Not much more to read into the comment than what was said.

As for the "until Salem finds a way to beat LT" part, you act like they have played many times with Salem losing. They have played one time and this year they play again with a lot of different players.

I don't think that they are upset with somebody picking against Salem... shoot, a lot of Salem fans are picking against them this game.

We don't know how Salem will respond being down by a good margin because they haven't been in that position all year. That is both good and bad. I will say that the Salem offense is VERY explosive this year. They have had good sustained drives but they have also had a lot of quick hitters via Alex Ramsey, Clayborn, Tucker, etc.

I have determined that aw has just confused me with someone else or he struggles to comprehend what is posted on this board.
I will personally ban myself from this board for 1 year if you can show me a single post where I claimed that Salem should/will beat LT? I have no problem whatsoever that you or anyone else has picked LT to win. As a matter of fact, I have stated many many times that I consider LT to be the heavy favorite in this game and should win.
What I do have a problem with is your continual disrespectful posts challenging other people's opinions on this board. It happened in posts earlier this week and because of that the threads got shut down. You still have not learned. All I ask is that you respect other people's opinions.

Last edited:
Salem is not the favorite by many. And it is understood, how many times do we have to hear it.
I am picking them to win, for one reason. Because I want them to win. That's it. Will they win? I don't know. But, that's my pick.

Sorry if you disagree.

By your own account, Rather than the defense not being as good, it sounds like you guys struggle with ball security and discipline some times. Is that an accurate statement?

Reactions: gwb16
I have determined that aw has just confused me with someone else or he struggles to comprehend what is posted on this board.
I will personally ban myself from this board for 1 year if you can show me a single post where I claimed that Salem should/will beat LT? I have no problem whatsoever that you or anyone else has picked LT to win. As a matter of fact, I have stated many many times that I consider LT to be the heavy favorite in this game and should win.
What I do have a problem with is your continual disrespectful posts challenging other people's opinions on this board. It happened in posts earlier this week and because of that the threads got shut down. You still have not learned. All I ask is that you respect other people's opinions.
SalemPride I never recalled saying anything about your prediction in the game? I simply stated that every time I mention that Salem isn't the favorite in my opinion you find a way to make a comment as if my opinion shouldn't be posted. Don't ban yourself for a year especially if things don't go your way on Saturday. You are one of the regular posters and shouldn't leave because we always agree to disagree :)

"All I ask is that you respect other people's opinions." Once again take your own advice.

Jefferson Forest was a quality opponent and Salem played very well against them. Not much more to read into the comment than what was said.

As for the "until Salem finds a way to beat LT" part, you act like they have played many times with Salem losing. They have played one time and this year they play again with a lot of different players.

I don't think that they are upset with somebody picking against Salem... shoot, a lot of Salem fans are picking against them this game.

We don't know how Salem will respond being down by a good margin because they haven't been in that position all year. That is both good and bad. I will say that the Salem offense is VERY explosive this year. They have had good sustained drives but they have also had a lot of quick hitters via Alex Ramsey, Clayborn, Tucker, etc.
"As for the "until Salem finds a way to beat LT" part, you act like they have played many times with Salem losing. They have played one time and this year they play again with a lot of different players."

What's wrong with that statement? If Salem would have won last year it would be Devils replying to my comments and not you lol. Since there has only been one game between the two that wasn't close I have to go with the victor in that match. If you win on Saturday I will say congratulations on winning the title. If you lose I would say congratulations on making to finals. Either way my life will not change :)

"All I ask is that you respect other people's opinions." Once again take your own advice.
I have not been disrespectful in any way. All I have done is stand up for other people. And once again let me reiterate... your opinion about Salem doesn't bother me one but on bit... It's the way you go about stating said opinion that rubs me wrong.

I have not been disrespectful in any way. All I have done is stand up for other people. And once again let me reiterate... your opinion about Salem doesn't bother me one but on bit... It's the way you go about stating said opinion that rubs me wrong.
SalemPride let's agree to disagree :) But if you do say something that I like I will press the "LIKE" button.

Reactions: SalemPride
By your own account, Rather than the defense not being as good, it sounds like you guys struggle with ball security and discipline some times. Is that an accurate statement?
Ball security and discipline? I have other words to describe it but it goes against my own beliefs. I won't knock people that are doing a job I don't want to do.

john Champe may have a fairly similar offense in that they have good balance but are not nearly as fast as some of the LT skill players. The LT play calling is excellent. I believe Salem can do a good job with them but big plays will come.

No one, anywhere, plays LT's defense but it's the same as last year. 9 in the box. Unbalanced front. Blitzed on every play. DB's on an island with very physical man to man coverage. So physical, it is total route disruption and Pass Interference in most of VA. Not so in the Tidewater area. The officiating crew and where they come from will make a difference because of this. Defense sideline to sideline persuit is unsurpassed in 4A, IMO. Overall defensive team speed is startling compared to other squads and this is their big advantage but they can be worn down as they did last weekend against Courtland.

Salem is already very familiar with both the LT Offense and Defense. It hasn't changed from last year. If the Spartan's can come out strong, with the right attitude and stay with LT in the 1st half, I believe they can win on Saturday. That's not a prediction but the Spartan's are quite capable and I would not consider a win an upset. That's how good they are. GL.

Ball security and discipline? I have other words to describe it but it goes against my own beliefs. I won't knock people that are doing a job I don't want to do.
I take it you are referring to the officials? I think I misunderstood your post. I took it that you guys must have had a few turnovers against KF when you said "a comedy of errors." Did you mean poor execution on LT's behalf or did you guys turn the ball over? By the way, where is Shiheem (spell check) Johnson at now? That kid was a baller!

I take it you are referring to the officials? I think I misunderstood your post. I took it that you guys must have had a few turnovers against KF when you said "a comedy of errors." Did you mean poor execution on LT's behalf or did you guys turn the ball over? By the way, where is Shiheem (spell check) Johnson at now? That kid was a baller!
KF Game:
First KF TD: 3rd and long throw it up to end zone DB has a pick ball goes through his hands TD 7-0
LT Ball: TD 1 play 7-7
KF Ball: DB blows assignment 93 yard TD 13-7
LT Ball: Fumble on exchange
KF Ball: TD Run 20-7
LT Ball: Punt block for TD 26-7
LT Ball: TD pass 26-13
KF Ball 3 and out
LT Ball: TD pass 26-21
Halftime

Shiheem has a couple of situations he's looking at as far as school goes. He had to take care of some matters before he could leave. Very good player.

Last edited:
Just watch some Hudl highlights on Salem. Kind of impressed with 36 and 28 on offense. If 28 really a 4.4 as listed on the Hudl site? If so was this timed at a summer camp?

Just watch some Hudl highlights on Salem. Kind of impressed with 36 and 28 on offense. If 28 really a 4.4 as listed on the Hudl site? If so was this timed at a summer camp?
I think 28 is very fast, but he's extra fast compared to the kids out there. As far as 36 goes he plays very hard and has some vision. I said at the end of last season he's a RB playing FB.

Just watched some film on LT. Very impressed with #4 and #8 on defense. Also the QB throws a good deep ball. Seems like no one can catch #8 at WR once he gets a step on you. Basically I see a discipline offense and defense with big lineman in Salem and explosive athletes with Lake Taylor. If they do not turn the ball over I still have to go with LT with my choice.

Last edited:
I think 28 is very fast, but he's extra fast compared to the kids out there. As far as 36 goes he plays very hard and has some vision. I said at the end of last season he's a RB playing FB.
I wanted to mentioned the same thing in regards to the speed of the other team, BUT I do not need another posting battle with certain fans. But yes he is very fast and 36 is hard nose. Probably could be an issue if he gets pass the second level since you all play 8-9 in the box. Like I said "probably" could be an issue.

I wanted to mentioned the same thing in regards to the speed of the other team, BUT I do not need another posting battle with certain fans. But yes he is very fast and 36 is hard nose. Probably could be an issue if he gets pass the second level since you all play 8-9 in the box. Like I said "probably" could be an issue.
Truth hurts...Kid is definitely fast, but some of those kids playing defense couldn't outrun my 5 year old twins, but at least they out there trying and coaches use what they have to work with as not everyone is blessed with athletes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT