ADVERTISEMENT

Salem vs. Louisa County

I believe that Louisa will bring more especially for the location. At Liberty in 2006, they filled the one side of LU and Amherst filled the other side, that has not been done since.
Thought you didn't like dwelling on history. Or is it just Salem history that you don't like? This record crowd thing at Liberty really stirs your coffee doesn't it

I was at the 2006 Rockbridge vs Richlands game and both sides were full for that game also. Granted, some may have been Amherst and Louisa fans but some of the late game fans may have been Rockbridge and Richland fans staying to watch more football.
Some and a few but most left. One of those years that Brookville played before Amherst, the entire side cleared out.
I was at the 2006 Rockbridge vs Richlands game and both sides were full for that game also. Granted, some may have been Amherst and Louisa fans but some of the late game fans may have been Rockbridge and Richland fans staying to watch more football.
Not full because I was there for both games, Amherst fans got there early to watch both games and it was not full before we played

Not Louisa's numbers. They will be out there, rain, sleet, or snow.
There is no question that Louisa will bring more fans. Much longer trip for Salem fans and later start time makes it a difficult trip to make if you don't stay the night. Also, this may sound bad but Salem fans are used to attending state championship games and a percentage won't go because it's nothing new. Been a while for Louisa so their fans will be fired up to go. I'd expect something around 60% Louisa fans, 30% Salem fans and 10% neutral.

This thread starting going left. I'll keep it left for the first paragraph then try to get back right after. For the record, I don't see an underdog in this game. If I had to pick one, Louisa is the underdog here. Salem has a coaching staff playing in their 4th straight title game and 6th in 12 years. I want to say they've got 5-6 players who started on each of the past two state teams (Tucker, Mundy, Ramsey, Wade, Quinn, Cardwell) plus a slew of others who played in last seasons title game. To say this doesn't matter is foolish. Kid's knowing what to expect from perspective of the travel, routine, the facility and the overall focus it takes to win the title is very important and shouldn't be undervalued here. Sure Louisa has Smith and Thurston with FBS offers but Tucker has FBS interest and Ramsey is FBS talent on the field, off field things are holding him back. Both teams have a handful of guys that will be FCS players. Salem can't play that underdog role here IMO, you avenged the BBurg loss and you are a much better team right now than what you showed against Dinwiddie, a game you still had a chance to win. With all that said let's break it down.

I'd say I've got a pretty good feel of both teams. Game planned for both teams 2 weeks apart and played them both with the same health they currently have. The matchup everyone is talking about is the Salem run game vs the Louisa front 7. It is by far the most intriguing matchup of the game which leads me to believe it won't be the part that decides it. Salem will run on Louisa better than anyone else has and Louisa will hold Salem under their rushing average, it will be a push IMO.

The passing game is going to decide it IMO. Gladden vs Bell. Tucker, Quinn, Wade, Close, Hale, Ramsey catching the football vs Carter, Hunter, Jones, Turner, West, Sharpe, Whalen catching the ball. Neither team has a speed advantage outside over the other team. The big difference in the pass game is that Bell appears to be a better runner than Gladden if the pass play breaks down. I say appear because I haven't seen Gladden run much. Partially because he gets rid of the ball timely and partially because his coaches don't put him in running situations often. I remember old Salem teams running the naked boot with less mobile QBs but haven't even seen that from them this year. Gladden has the stronger and more accurate arm IMO but Bell isn't a slouch.

Both teams have the same defensive "weakness" IMO, the secondary against the pass. It's not that they are bad here but they are so good up front that the back end tends to give up the big plays and yards. Both teams like to play man to man outside more so than zone. Saw much more zone coverage from Salem than Louisa on different game tapes. Salem plays primarily off man while Louisa will play both press and off man.

I'm interested to see if either team goes into their bag of tricks at some point. Both teams are going to do what got them here for sure but if it's tight late and someone needs a spark, will we see something outlandish called by either team? An onside kick or a fake punt?

It's going to be a great game between two smash mouth teams. If I had to bet on someone, it would be Salem because this is what they do, they get to the state game and play better than they have all season and win. I would like to see Louisa win for Coach Fischer and for the Cville area drought of football State titles (Monticello 2006 or 2007 was the last).

Good Luck to both teams and congrats to both programs for tremendous seasons thus far. They both deserve to win IMO. Louisa was doubted all year and Salem has proven a lot of people wrong since two early season losses.
Excellent post!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
This thread starting going left. I'll keep it left for the first paragraph then try to get back right after. For the record, I don't see an underdog in this game. If I had to pick one, Louisa is the underdog here. Salem has a coaching staff playing in their 4th straight title game and 6th in 12 years. I want to say they've got 5-6 players who started on each of the past two state teams (Tucker, Mundy, Ramsey, Wade, Quinn, Cardwell) plus a slew of others who played in last seasons title game. To say this doesn't matter is foolish. Kid's knowing what to expect from perspective of the travel, routine, the facility and the overall focus it takes to win the title is very important and shouldn't be undervalued here. Sure Louisa has Smith and Thurston with FBS offers but Tucker has FBS interest and Ramsey is FBS talent on the field, off field things are holding him back. Both teams have a handful of guys that will be FCS players. Salem can't play that underdog role here IMO, you avenged the BBurg loss and you are a much better team right now than what you showed against Dinwiddie, a game you still had a chance to win. With all that said let's break it down.

I'd say I've got a pretty good feel of both teams. Game planned for both teams 2 weeks apart and played them both with the same health they currently have. The matchup everyone is talking about is the Salem run game vs the Louisa front 7. It is by far the most intriguing matchup of the game which leads me to believe it won't be the part that decides it. Salem will run on Louisa better than anyone else has and Louisa will hold Salem under their rushing average, it will be a push IMO.

The passing game is going to decide it IMO. Gladden vs Bell. Tucker, Quinn, Wade, Close, Hale, Ramsey catching the football vs Carter, Hunter, Jones, Turner, West, Sharpe, Whalen catching the ball. Neither team has a speed advantage outside over the other team. The big difference in the pass game is that Bell appears to be a better runner than Gladden if the pass play breaks down. I say appear because I haven't seen Gladden run much. Partially because he gets rid of the ball timely and partially because his coaches don't put him in running situations often. I remember old Salem teams running the naked boot with less mobile QBs but haven't even seen that from them this year. Gladden has the stronger and more accurate arm IMO but Bell isn't a slouch.

Both teams have the same defensive "weakness" IMO, the secondary against the pass. It's not that they are bad here but they are so good up front that the back end tends to give up the big plays and yards. Both teams like to play man to man outside more so than zone. Saw much more zone coverage from Salem than Louisa on different game tapes. Salem plays primarily off man while Louisa will play both press and off man.

I'm interested to see if either team goes into their bag of tricks at some point. Both teams are going to do what got them here for sure but if it's tight late and someone needs a spark, will we see something outlandish called by either team? An onside kick or a fake punt?

It's going to be a great game between two smash mouth teams. If I had to bet on someone, it would be Salem because this is what they do, they get to the state game and play better than they have all season and win. I would like to see Louisa win for Coach Fischer and for the Cville area drought of football State titles (Monticello 2006 or 2007 was the last).

Good Luck to both teams and congrats to both programs for tremendous seasons thus far. They both deserve to win IMO. Louisa was doubted all year and Salem has proven a lot of people wrong since two early season losses.
OneMan, this is spot on and appreciated as genuine game analysis amongst all the other stuff that has gotten drug into this thread. I agree the passing game, which has largely been ignored so far in the discussion, will be huge in this game. I admittedly have not seen Bell live, but from what I have watched in limited clips, he plays with heart, is underrated as a passer, and is an all out load to bring down. Salem has struggled in years past with mobile QB’s and did to a certain extent with Pope Jr back in September. For Salem, Gladden has improved big time and is playing with much more poise and confidence that is so typical year in and year out with QBs in that program. I thought it showed in the GW game as he was near perfect, but especially against Blacksburg during the 4th quarter as he was instrumental in moving them down the field with the throws to Tucker and Close.

Another thing that intrigues me will be 4th quarter play. Both sides have two way starters that will be slugging it out all game in cold conditions. I think it was Hoos that mentioned Ramsey possibly playing defense. I actually don’t think that will happen at all, unless injuries pile up and he’s forced in. For one, Salem’s D line and backers are playing the best they have all year and actually getting solid pressure. Secondly, even with 31 carries against Blacksburg, Ramsey looked fresh in the 4th and his TD run where he hurdled players on the ground, cut on a dime, and out-raced everyone to the end zone showed how nasty he can be against a first rate defense when he only plays one way. Man, it’s going to be something to see him and Smith collide! Should be another close game decided in the last possession or two. I think fans are in for a treat. Best wishes to both squads for an injury-free and great game!

Thought you didn't like dwelling on history. Or is it just Salem history that you don't like? This record crowd thing at Liberty really stirs your coffee doesn't it
Repeated history year after year after year the same thing over and over. Even you said it this year in one of your post, geez. People was talking about attendance and I answered. You are the one that usually starts Salem’s history

Reactions: OCBoy
I’m no football expert but I will say that this will be a great football game. I expect one of those 31-27 games. Even though I’m a spread guy, both offenses are exciting. Salem’s offense exciting? Yes, DLo Ramsey is fun to watch. Every time Tucker touches the ball he’s liable to go for 6. Louisa mixes it up, rolls the dice and takes chances. Whoever makes the most mistakes, loses.

Last edited:
Reactions: one man and RKE Fan
I’m no football expert but I will say that this will be a great football game. I expect one of those 31-27 games. Even though I’m a spread guy, both offenses are exciting. Salem’s offense exciting? Yes, DLo Ramsey is fun to watch. Every time Tucker touches the ball he’s liable to go for 6. Louisa mixes it up, rolls the dice and takes chances. Whoever makes the most mistakes, loses.
Forced or unforced mistakes?

Your boys almost pulled it out tonight didn't they.

I think we are all waiting for the shaved head btw

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
My 2 cents? I think Malik Bell will be the difference. He passes well and runs so often he opens up the other runners and goes in all directions. You stop him 3/4 times and then he rips one off. I also noticed in our game Louisa when they run the ball protects it extremely well. In the second half we tried to rip it away to no avail.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT