ADVERTISEMENT

Salems Magenbauer

OCBoy

VaPreps All Region
Nov 12, 2001
Can someone give me some history on him like how long he's been at Salem. Where he came from etc. I know there are several Salem mules on here. Thanks OC

Can someone give me some history on him like how long he's been at Salem. Where he came from etc. I know there are several Salem mules on here. Thanks OC
He was a really good QB/S for Salem. He was hurt in his Sophomore year I believe & they discovered he had spinal stenosis.

As a coach he started at Glenvar as an Offensive Coordinator/DB coach from '96-'99, and the Head Coach from '00-'01. Moved to start Hidden Valley's new football program and was Head Coach from '02-'03. Moved to Salem to take over at his alma mater in '04. Won the 4A title in '04 & '05. Has compiled a record of 134-20 in those 12 years to this point.

Coach Magenbauer was a Salem kid. Some can correct me if needed, but I believe he started at safety on defense as a freshman in 1988. The next year, he was the starting qb, as well. In a regional semifinal against Dan River, Magenbauer was injured when he tackled a DR back. He was completely motionless on the grass at Salem Stadium, and the silence in the stands was beyond eerie. He was paralyzed for several hours, but gradually regained all feeling.

Turned out, the football injury revealed a congenital spinal defect. It would have been extremely dangerous for him to ever play contact sports again. This was obviously a huge blow both personally for Steve, who almost without question would have been a Division 1 prospect at either position, and for the program. In the bigger picture, it was a win, of course, as Magenbauer's spinal defect was brought to light, and he escaped a potentially devastating injury.

Steve's focus shifted to coaching. He learned all he could from Willis White and his staff. I think Steve helped with coaching Andrew Lewis's middle school team and/or the JV high school team until he graduated, and headed to Tech. I'm pretty sure Magenbauer spent his time working on his interest in coaching during college, though I'm not sure where.

After college, he got a job as an assistant at Glenvar High in Roanoke County, under Brian Hooker. When Hooker quit to go into administration, Magenbauer got his first head coaching job. He coached two years at Glenvar, going 13-7, I believe. He then became the first head coach in Hidden Valley High's history when that Roanoke County school opened in 2002. After two years leading the Titans, Steve was picked to be the retiring White's successor at Salem. Magenbauer is in his twelfth season at the helm of the Spartans.

He was a really good QB/S for Salem. He was hurt in his Sophomore year I believe & they discovered he had spinal stenosis.

As a coach he started at Glenvar as an Offensive Coordinator/DB coach from '96-'99, and the Head Coach from '00-'01. Moved to start Hidden Valley's new football program and was Head Coach from '02-'03. Moved to Salem to take over at his alma mater in '04. Won the 4A title in '04 & '05. Has compiled a record of 134-20 in those 12 years to this point.
This.

Also, he started coaching while he was in high school. He was actually calling plays for Cave Spring when he was still a student at Salem.

Reactions: mike salem
Coach Magenbauer was a Salem kid. Some can correct me if needed, but I believe he started at safety on defense as a freshman in 1988. The next year, he was the starting qb, as well. In a regional semifinal against Dan River, Magenbauer was injured when he tackled a DR back. He was completely motionless on the grass at Salem Stadium, and the silence in the stands was beyond eerie. He was paralyzed for several hours, but gradually regained all feeling.

Turned out, the football injury revealed a congenital spinal defect. It would have been extremely dangerous for him to ever play contact sports again. This was obviously a huge blow both personally for Steve, who almost without question would have been a Division 1 prospect at either position, and for the program. In the bigger picture, it was a win, of course, as Magenbauer's spinal defect was brought to light, and he escaped a potentially devastating injury.

Steve's focus shifted to coaching. He learned all he could from Willis White and his staff. I think Steve helped with coaching Andrew Lewis's middle school team and/or the JV high school team until he graduated, and headed to Tech. I'm pretty sure Magenbauer spent his time working on his interest in coaching during college, though I'm not sure where.

After college, he got a job as an assistant at Glenvar High in Roanoke County, under Brian Hooker. When Hooker quit to go into administration, Magenbauer got his first head coaching job. He coached two years at Glenvar, going 13-7, I believe. He then became the first head coach in Hidden Valley High's history when that Roanoke County school opened in 2002. After two years leading the Titans, Steve was picked to be the retiring White's successor at Salem. Magenbauer is in his twelfth season at the helm of the Spartans.
Coach Magenbauer would deserve huge props only considering his record and the challenges often involved when following a hugely successful predecessor like Coach White. Having said that, it is my opinion he still doesn't get enough credit for what he has done for two reasons. First, he was extremely effective in blending the former members of Coach White's staff with the guys he brought to the staff and in managing chemistry issues often seen in situations like that. Second, he did it all under the microscope that is the Salem football community which, in what might be termed an understatement, is an extremely involved fanbase.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT