ADVERTISEMENT

Sales m 7 on 7 Tuesday at 10am at Patrick Henry. I think six teams

If I had to guess it will likely be among these teams: PH, Salem, Northside, Cave Spring, Hidden Valley, William Fleming, Franklin Co, Blacksburg. These are the teams I have seen represented previously.

I know you really can't draw much of a conclusion from 7 on 7 competition, but it will be interesting to hear a critique on the effort of Northside.

Sorry to hear you can't make it Mike. PH logistically too difficult for you?

I know you really can't draw much of a conclusion from 7 on 7 competition, but it will be interesting to hear a critique on the effort of Northside.

Sorry to hear you can't make it Mike. PH logistically too difficult for you?
I've been in bed for 5 days dealing with edema in my legs among other issues. Nothing real serious, just trying to be proactive to hopefully prevent missing any games this season.

Darn buddy, I didn't know you were having troubles. You did get to go to your daughters graduation, didn't you? I thought you had mentioned you were there.

Yes, for goodness sakes, do what is necessary to maintain your health. If my thinking is correct, two months from this Friday night, and life begins anew for all of us!

Darn buddy, I didn't know you were having troubles. You did get to go to your daughters graduation, didn't you? I thought you had mentioned you were there.

Yes, for goodness sakes, do what is necessary to maintain your health. If my thinking is correct, two months from this Friday night, and life begins anew for all of us!
Yeah I waited till after graduation. I have several maintenance issues that can all be helped while I'm in bed. I visited the ER for a plumbing issue and thought I might spend time in the hospital since I had several issues at once. Luckily, I have a hospital bed and RN at home so hopefully we'll get things taken care of.

Salem, pH, rustburg, north side, cave spring. Salem looked like a well oiled machine. Returning qb Noah beckley was sharp scoring at will. I look for a big season from him. The def. Looked solid also. North side was running a hurry up no huddle spread look. PH needs work. Cave spring qb looked good. Rustburg should be fine. In a nutshell Salem will be hard to beat and will put lots of points on the board. I know its 7 on 7 but they have a lot of size and experience. They will be back next Tuesday at pH @ 10am

Old hole in the wall dive in Roanoke called TEXAS TAVERN..... LOOK IT UP ON THE WEB..... ITS A PLACE Were hangovers go to die.... Bowl with is chili and onions cheesy is a burger with me at egg onion mustard and relish...... A BUTTER IS A BUTTER MILK
There are also 2 very similarly styled copycat "greasy spoons" as my friend calls them, in Lynchburg called the Texas Inn. All are good eatin, although a cardiologist would strongly disagree. You get 3 Hots all the way goin and there is nearly enough grease soaked through the paper bag in 5 minutes to put a hole in the bottom. YUM! @DinwiddieProud

Last edited:
Salem, pH, rustburg, north side, cave spring. Salem looked like a well oiled machine. Returning qb Noah beckley was sharp scoring at will. I look for a big season from him. The def. Looked solid also. North side was running a hurry up no huddle spread look. PH needs work. Cave spring qb looked good. Rustburg should be fine. In a nutshell Salem will be hard to beat and will put lots of points on the board. I know its 7 on 7 but they have a lot of size and experience. They will be back next Tuesday at pH @ 10am
Again, poor opponents for the Spartans. I give the Salem QB due respect. His play in th Championship game could not have been better. I mean, he only completed 4 passes all game but he made no serious errors, no turnovers and a bunch of good decisions. That's dank. He's not a serious QB but the kid can run a HS game. That's all Salem needs. I expect undefeated and #1 rated entering the playoffs.

Again, poor opponents for the Spartans. I give the Salem QB due respect. His play in th Championship game could not have been better. I mean, he only completed 4 passes all game but he made no serious errors, no turnovers and a bunch of good decisions. That's dank. He's not a serious QB but the kid can run a HS game. That's all Salem needs. I expect undefeated and #1 rated entering the playoffs.
What do you mean when you say "not a serious QB"?

What do you mean when you say "not a serious QB"?
Not a DI type kid but manages the game well. A trait that may be even more valuable at a HS level. You can't train an arm but you can train consistency and smarts. He has already displayed the smarts and he's still young but nobody will need to game plan the young man. He can't win games for you based on skill level but he won't lose them either.

Not a DI type kid but manages the game well. A trait that may be even more valuable at a HS level. You can't train an arm but you can train consistency and smarts. He has already displayed the smarts and he's still young but nobody will need to game plan the young man. He can't win games for you based on skill level but he won't lose them either.
I love it when people underestimate the talent of others. It just sparks more of a fire in those being misjudged. Salem's QB has D1 speed and instincts. His speed alone is an advantage. I disagree; you can teach fundamentals, but you can't teach instincts in football. This sounds a lot like the underestimation of Salem's defense last year. Thanks for the motivation.

Reactions: mike salem
Did you see him play during the year besides the Lake Taylor game? He was one of the best quarterbacks in the state last year. He has a very good arm and incredible accuracy... speed as well.

I love it when people underestimate the talent of others. It just sparks more of a fire in those being misjudged. Salem's QB has D1 speed and instincts. His speed alone is an advantage. I disagree; you can teach fundamentals, but you can't teach instincts in football. This sounds a lot like the underestimation of Salem's defense last year. Thanks for the motivation.

I think you misread. I did say you could teach fundamentals. I also said the kid was smart and made good decisions. All that is experience from play and Coaching. Instincts, because they have been taught and now become part of his game. It's why he made so few errors in the playoffs.

What I did say is that you can't Coach an arm. And I saw the games with JC, JF and LT. I'm sorry. I did not see a next level arm or speed. Does not mean he isn't good. He's a good HS QB. Maybe even DIII good. I'm usually pretty good at this but I've been wrong before and I hope it happens again.

I don't think anyone underestimated the Salem defense, especially after the JF game. At the same time, no one thought the LT QB would be so off. And please don't try to tell me it was the defense. The kid just flat out missed all afternoon. I really felt for him. And the Salem QB wasn't a lot better completing only 4 passes on the day. But he sure as hell played smarter.

And why do you need motivation? You don't play. Or practice. Or do the workouts. Or hit the weight room. Or deal with the weekly dings. Or do you? In which case, you shouldn't be here.

Last edited:
I think you misread. I did say you could teach fundamentals. I also said the kid was smart and made good decisions. All that is experience from play and Coaching. Instincts, because they have been taught and now become part of his game. It's why he made so few errors in the playoffs.

What I did say is that you can't Coach an arm. And I saw the games with GW, JF and LT. I'm sorry. I did not see a next level arm or speed. Does not mean he isn't good. He's a good HS QB. Maybe even DIII good. I'm usually pretty good at this but I've been wrong before and I hope it happens again.

I don't think anyone underestimated the Salem defense, especially after the JF game. At the same time, no one thought the LT QB would be so off. And please don't try to tell me it was the defense. The kid just flat out missed all afternoon. I really felt for him. And the Salem QB wasn't a lot better completing only 4 passes on the day. But he sure as hell played smarter.

And why do you need motivation? You don't play. Or practice. Or do the workouts. Or hit the weight room. Or deal with the weekly dings. Or do you? In which case, you shouldn't be here.
He was 10-15 for 235 yards and 3 TDs against JF including a couple of perfect deep balls not sure what more you wanted out of him in that game. What game are you talking about against GW?

Maybe even DIII probably an understatement. He will at least play DII and could possibly go higher.

Shauntclair loves to "motivate" Salem. He's seen Beckley play 1 game against the toughest competition in the state and now he's an expert on his skills. SOSDD- Same old Shauntclair, different day.

I
Did you see him play during the year besides the Lake Taylor game? He was one of the best quarterbacks in the state last year. He has a very good arm and incredible accuracy... speed as well.
appreciate the post and the video. That's a very well coached offense there. Wish more would advance to this standard where a team can actually do more than one thing well.

He was 10-15 for 235 yards and 3 TDs against JF including a couple of perfect deep balls not sure what more you wanted out of him in that game. What game are you talking about against GW?

Maybe even DIII probably an understatement. He will at least play DII and could possibly go higher.
I think D2 is most likely, but I hope he gets higher offers.

You didn't see him against GW. We didn't play them last year. Different QB when Salem played GW two years ago.

"You can't train an arm." You absolutely can teach mechanics and build strength. It's not easy to teach and perfect a QB's mechanics, but it can be accomplished. I'm talking about the intangible aspects of a great QB can't be coached. It's a natural instict that arises out of intrinsic motivation and application of football IQ. It's simply an instinct that kicks in when a QB is making split second decisions. I see that in Salem's QB. As for me playing or coaching, no. My connection is irrelevant. That's the special thing about Salem, though. The community supports and identifies with the team. So what motivates one can motivate all.

Maybe and GL to him. I did not mention the JF game, who everyone knows had no defense all year. That was my mistake about GW. It was John Champe, who showed the game in it's entirety on their website.

Lets think about what Shanti said and evaluate it. "Not a serious quarterback". He explained himself by saying not "D-I material.

#1 Do you Salem fans really care about whether he is D-I material at this point in his career. As a first year quarterback he went undefeated and won a state championships. Can't speak for the Spartan fans, but that's "serious" enough for me.

#2 When reviewing his huddle highlights and seeing him live I honestly think he has a bright future. He has the intellect to play the position and runs the Salem offense to a tee. The kid is not expected to be a hero! He reminds me a lot of Matthew Stafford who had a very successful high school, college and fair pro career to date. I am mot saying he has that type of potential. I am just basing it on his mechanics, intelligence and feel for the game. He may just be a systems quarterback, but I tend to believe there is more to him than meets the eye test at this point. He has the guts to stand in the pocket under pressure and make accurate throws, throws extremely well on the run, and is very elusive when he runs the ball. His touch on the 25 - 35 yard ball is nice, but more importantly he seems to be able to go through his progressions without tipping off his intended target. This is a rarity for high school quarterbacks. Because highlights are what they are (highlights) we don't get to see the bad throws or reads. He only threw 3 interceptions and completed 60% of his passes, so I would say he is fairly sound regarding his accuracy. My only concerns thus far is his ability to throw the deeper out balls (Shanti's arm strength quote) and throwing against elite defensive backs.. Based on Salem's offense (seam routes short outs and deep post) this young man is not required to make these throws. If afforded the opportunity, he will be able to demonstrate his arm strength and ability to consistently complete passes against top defenders in a camp setting..

#3 If he attends the right camps this summer his potential will be evaluated fairly and it will be publicized for all to see. I realize how one could consider Shanti's post as a personal attack on Beckley, but lets give it time and hopefully he will get the opportunity he earns/deserves. Everyone loves a winner including college coaches.

3 games, all on video and none in person is a very limited sample size and probably means the evaluation is somewhere slightly above a shot in the dark. As appropriately pointed out by BN, he QB'ed his team to the state championship in his junior year as a first year starter which is a pretty good start regardless of how anybody views his measurable and physical skills. Also, the kid he succeeded is turning heads at the next level now so the fact he didn't start earlier is probably more a reflection of the system and talent/competition than any downgrade to his ability. Depending on his growth, strength and development there is still plenty of time to overcome any perceived physical shortcomings. I am not sure what level he will land at yet but, in the 5 times I have seen him in person the one thing I can say is he improved each time and as the level of competition improved he raised his level of play as well which would indicate to me a competitive and mental toughness. He's got his senior year to write his ticket and school's always find room for a quarterback that can play even if it is as a versatile athlete. Who knows he might like baseball better and he was solid there as well.

Lets think about what Shanti said and evaluate it. "Not a serious quarterback". He explained himself by saying not "D-I material.

#1 Do you Salem fans really care about whether he is D-I material at this point in his career. As a first year quarterback he went undefeated and won a state championships. Can't speak for the Spartan fans, but that's "serious" enough for me.

#2 When reviewing his huddle highlights and seeing him live I honestly think he has a bright future. He has the intellect to play the position and runs the Salem offense to a tee. The kid is not expected to be a hero! He reminds me a lot of Matthew Stafford who had a very successful high school, college and fair pro career to date. I am mot saying he has that type of potential. I am just basing it on his mechanics, intelligence and feel for the game. He may just be a systems quarterback, but I tend to believe there is more to him than meets the eye test at this point. He has the guts to stand in the pocket under pressure and make accurate throws, throws extremely well on the run, and is very elusive when he runs the ball. His touch on the 25 - 35 yard ball is nice, but more importantly he seems to be able to go through his progressions without tipping off his intended target. This is a rarity for high school quarterbacks. Because highlights are what they are (highlights) we don't get to see the bad throws or reads. He only threw 3 interceptions and completed 60% of his passes, so I would say he is fairly sound regarding his accuracy. My only concerns thus far is his ability to throw the deeper out balls (Shanti's arm strength quote) and throwing against elite defensive backs.. Based on Salem's offense (seam routes short outs and deep post) this young man is not required to make these throws. If afforded the opportunity, he will be able to demonstrate his arm strength and ability to consistently complete passes against top defenders in a camp setting..

#3 If he attends the right camps this summer his potential will be evaluated fairly and it will be publicized for all to see. I realize how one could consider Shanti's post as a personal attack on Beckley, but lets give it time and hopefully he will get the opportunity he earns/deserves. Everyone loves a winner including college coaches.

All good points BN. I'll address #3. He's attended numerous camps his entire HS career. I can't speak specifically to the quality of all of them or his performance in them, but high quantity.

Good post.

My problem with the original post in question is that for no reason, he stated "not a serious QB". It had absolutely no reason to be included in the post and nobody before that was even talking about what level of prospect he is as a quarterback. It was poorly worded and completely unnecessary... which was strange because the rest of his post was pretty good.

I did a bit of research and Beckley attended the Nike Opening Camp in Charlotte this spring. His Nike rating was 81.00. Based on his score he was considered to be the ninth best quarterback at camp. That is a good start. 247 Sports and Rivals do not have him rated (1-5 star). Sparq rating is 81.

Last edited:
Reactions: close2salem
I don't see why Beckley isn't a D1 QB, especially at the FCS level. Will he play right away? It's a possiblity, but like a lot of you have said, he's only been the QB for one year and in that one year he led his team to the ultimate goal. I hate to seem like I bring up GW in every post, but Hunter Byrnes (your 2014 4a West Player of the Year), couldn't throw the ball but about 35 yards in 2013, maybe even less. In 2014, he tore it up. He worked hard and won Player of the year. He owns every passing record at GW now, was an invited walk on at UVA and will more than likely be Davidson College's starting QB in 2017. My point, Beckley has something Byrnes had...TIME and work ethic! He's had this whole offseason to get better and I have no doubt that he'll be ok. He showed a lot of toughness against that LT defense which had what 6-7 D1 and D2 players on it? Let's not look at this kid's weakness and look more at his toughness, his leadership ability, and game management. He'll be fine. It will be no surprise to me when he signs with VMI, UR, Liberty, Bucknell, etc on signing day in February.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT