ADVERTISEMENT

Sales m 7 on 7 Tuesday at 10am at Patrick Henry. I think six teams

I worry a little about Becton from Highland Springs. He is just so much bigger and stronger than all that are across the line from him, sound technique is usually not necessary for him to be successful. And his darn arms are about 9 ' long. I was not overwhelmed by his style in the highlight films I've seen. But obviously I don't know what I'm talking about, because a lot of big college recruiters love him. (This is why I run wires, and not a recruiting program!)
Don't know if you've seen in play in person DP, but I saw him in the Atlee game and I noticed that there were some plays that he took off. To his defense, he really didn't need to do a lot (Highland Springs was just that good), but as big as he is, the intimidation factor isn't as big as you would think. It'll be interesting to see how he performs this year.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
When will you guys learn that recruiting and next level has nothing to do with "all in" or "heart". Much as I would like it to be so.

It is size, speed, strength and athleticism. Salem won a State Championship based on heart and good Coaching. Doesn't fly in the next level. Jadeveon Clowney is a great example. Definitely took plays off in College and HS. Now in the NFL. Still one of the most highly valued players. Why? Size, speed, strength, athleticism. None of which can be trained. All the heart and work in the world can't beat that at the next levels. The Coachs want these qualities first and believe they can make the rest.

Not always right but this is how they get to keep their jobs. Again, not necessarily my choice or my preference. Just the facts of the situation.

We're talking DI here. Just look at the database. Most DIs are already in the double digits for commitments. Their limit is 25. Come back on Sept 1. The recruiting classes have already been rated and their commitments locked in. The competition for recruits is that fierce, the goal is to have everyone locked in by then.

Now, you're right about recruiting not being over. Plenty of DII and NAIA Colleges around that can offer schollies but if you notice, these don't appear in the Rivals database. Stories will appear on the board but it's really not considered recruiting. There's a major difference between DI and DII? Go to the games. See the facilities. Night and day. And this reminds me of something. The new JF weight room is better than any DII I've been to and I've been to a National Champion DII. Some good DIIIs out there but they don't offer schollies. Not allowed. Financial Aid....yes. And it always irks me when people post that player "A" has committed to DIII "B". An LOI is a commitment. To be more exact, it is a contract. DIII's cannot have LOI's, therefore there is no commitment. Anyone can play DIII. You just have to be a full time student.

Also, you don't "get found". Scouts are not randomly in the stands roaming around VA every week. This is a relationship business. It's a phone call to or from your HS Coach. That's where recruiting starts.

Absolutely nothing wrong with VMI. Fine school. Plenty of noteworthy alumni. But it takes a special person to go there and accept the Military structure. Just go to the database (again) and compare the # of commitments to a UVA or VT. Big difference even today. Come Sept 1, they'll still be sitting there at 3 or 4. UVA and VT will be at 25. No disrespect to anyone but these are the facts. Interprete them as you wish.

I can name a few DI players that received offers in their Senior year. It does happen. Can you name anyone with a Senior year schollie offer to a DI school?
I'm pretty sure Coleman Fox had other offers besides VT.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
We're talking DI here. Just look at the database. Most DIs are already in the double digits for commitments. Their limit is 25. Come back on Sept 1. The recruiting classes have already been rated and their commitments locked in. The competition for recruits is that fierce, the goal is to have everyone locked in by then.

Now, you're right about recruiting not being over. Plenty of DII and NAIA Colleges around that can offer schollies but if you notice, these don't appear in the Rivals database. Stories will appear on the board but it's really not considered recruiting. There's a major difference between DI and DII? Go to the games. See the facilities. Night and day. And this reminds me of something. The new JF weight room is better than any DII I've been to and I've been to a National Champion DII. Some good DIIIs out there but they don't offer schollies. Not allowed. Financial Aid....yes. And it always irks me when people post that player "A" has committed to DIII "B". An LOI is a commitment. To be more exact, it is a contract. DIII's cannot have LOI's, therefore there is no commitment. Anyone can play DIII. You just have to be a full time student.

Also, you don't "get found". Scouts are not randomly in the stands roaming around VA every week. This is a relationship business. It's a phone call to or from your HS Coach. That's where recruiting starts.

Absolutely nothing wrong with VMI. Fine school. Plenty of noteworthy alumni. But it takes a special person to go there and accept the Military structure. Just go to the database (again) and compare the # of commitments to a UVA or VT. Big difference even today. Come Sept 1, they'll still be sitting there at 3 or 4. UVA and VT will be at 25. No disrespect to anyone but these are the facts. Interprete them as you wish.

I can name a few DI players that received offers in their Senior year. It does happen. Can you name anyone with a Senior year schollie offer to a DI school?
Playing football at any level is a commitment, letter of intent or not. Did you play college football? Were you recruited? Just curious.

Playing football at any level is a commitment, letter of intent or not. Did you play college football? Were you recruited? Just curious.
I went to the Seminary in Douglaston Queens for two years after HS. Thought I wanted to be a priest. No athletics at all. Did get HS offers to the Military Academies (not for football. My HS was a Prep Seminary. No team. Only 300 kids in the School) but that was just not my style. Different era. Different attitudes about the military. Like not wanting to get shot in Vietnam.

I did go to regular College after that on schollie to play Baseball and Soccer. Gave it all up after two years. Just tired of school. I did get my only Football offer shortly after than when I visited my friend at Ohio State University. We played an Ultimate Frisbee tournament in the stadium. Woody Hayes offered me there after watching the Tourney even though I told him I hadn't play ball since I was 12. I declined. Another dumb youth decision.

Did play a few years in the minors for the Richmond Braves. Dale Murphy was my roommate (in a donated basement apartment). Reflects how old I am. Even went to Spring training with the big club after the first year and got my ultimate high and ultimate low in 30 seconds. Hank Aaron (age again) told me I was one of the best Center Fielders he ever saw. Then he said I needed to spend a LOT of time in the cage. I was a slapper and relied on speed to get on base. Rod Carew guy. But they changed my swing so I could "drive" the ball. Didn't take. I sucked year two and barely hit my weight after leading the team the year before. Gave it up. Was always proud of how many times I was fined for running through the Coach's stop sign and stealing home on my own. If I had ever been thrown out, I would have owed the Braves money.

My middle son played DI football. All State. Lot's of recruiting. eldest had a good shot at Baseball but blew out his knee during his Junior year. Blew out the other Senior year. Done. The youngest was quite good but he didn't have the size.

Been doing this awhile. I have more than a clue about athletes and what recruiting is today.

I went to the Seminary in Douglaston Queens for two years after HS. Thought I wanted to be a priest. No athletics at all. Did get HS offers to the Military Academies (not for football. My HS was a Prep Seminary. No team. Only 300 kids in the School) but that was just not my style. Different era. Different attitudes about the military. Like not wanting to get shot in Vietnam.

I did go to regular College after that on schollie to play Baseball and Soccer. Gave it all up after two years. Just tired of school. I did get my only Football offer shortly after than when I visited my friend at Ohio State University. We played an Ultimate Frisbee tournament in the stadium. Woody Hayes offered me there after watching the Tourney even though I told him I hadn't play ball since I was 12. I declined. Another dumb youth decision.

Did play a few years in the minors for the Richmond Braves. Dale Murphy was my roommate (in a donated basement apartment). Reflects how old I am. Even went to Spring training with the big club after the first year and got my ultimate high and ultimate low in 30 seconds. Hank Aaron (age again) told me I was one of the best Center Fielders he ever saw. Then he said I needed to spend a LOT of time in the cage. I was a slapper and relied on speed to get on base. Rod Carew guy. But they changed my swing so I could "drive" the ball. Didn't take. I sucked year two and barely hit my weight after leading the team the year before. Gave it up. Was always proud of how many times I was fined for running through the Coach's stop sign and stealing home on my own. If I had ever been thrown out, I would have owed the Braves money.

My middle son played DI football. All State. Lot's of recruiting. eldest had a good shot at Baseball but blew out his knee during his Junior year. Blew out the other Senior year. Done. The youngest was quite good but he didn't have the size.

Been doing this awhile. I have more than a clue about athletes and what recruiting is today.
I was a Cardinals fan growing up (because that was my T-ball team) but my Dad and older brother were Braves fans. We went a few years on vacation to Atlanta where we went to Six Flags & Braves games. My favorite Braves' player was Dale Murphy.

I'm planning on making the 7 on 7 tomorrow at PH. I'll let you know who's there and who looks good. I'm hoping the weather will be cooperative.

I was a Cardinals fan growing up (because that was my T-ball team) but my Dad and older brother were Braves fans. We went a few years on vacation to Atlanta where we went to Six Flags & Braves games. My favorite Braves' player was Dale Murphy.
FYI, he was a Catcher when I roomed with him. Not too many folks know that's how he started.

He had an offer to ODU and Army when VT offered late and he chose them over the other 2.
I did not know that. I would have expected a Military school but never saw that in the database. VT was the only one I found. But you're Mike Salem. I believe you and thanks for the correction.

Welcome to the two hand club. Coleman Fox got one offer. From Beamon and as a legacy. His only offer. You can count VMI as a DI. Technically, that's correct but I've already discussed this. VMI gets leftovers.

But I have to agree with Mike Salem. Coleman can make a decent slot receiver at VT. I can't see him as an RB with the others they have but he had some good Spring game time and he does the Salem thing. Works his ass off. Does make things possible. GL to hm.
Hoyt got offered by Virginia Tech Pittsburg and BYU the same year as a senior. It isn't nearly as rare as you make it out to be. Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

Reactions: salemfan32

Thanks for the response. I sincerely was curious and not trying to be snarky. It helps me see what your perspective is about football. I have always been a Braves fan.

Thanks for the response. I sincerely was curious and not trying to be snarky. It helps me see what your perspective is about football. I have always been a Braves fan.
No issue at all. Asking for a resume is perfectly understandable.

Always a big football fan since I played as a kid in the Huntington Football League and sealed when I watched the 69' Jets. But absolutely a Giants fan, where defense was serious business. Harry Carson, Lawrence Taylor and Carl Banks was the greatest line backing trio is Football History. IMO. The term "nasty" would discredit them. I prefer " terminated with extreme prejudice". I believe Salem knows a little about that.

Reactions: close2salem
Hoyt got offered by Virginia Tech Pittsburg and BYU the same year as a senior. It isn't nearly as rare as you make it out to be. Do you ever get tired of being wrong?
Check the database. You don't need to apologize later.

Check the database. You don't need to apologize later.
First you don't count any of the recent Salem VMI players because VMI gets the scraps, isn't competitive, etc. Then you discount a recent player that went to VT because it was a "legacy" and his "only offer" which then was proven to be wrong. Then I give you another player from the same year on the same team that god three offers his senior year. I could literally find hundreds of these players every year.

Reactions: salemfan32
First you don't count any of the recent Salem VMI players because VMI gets the scraps, isn't competitive, etc. Then you discount a recent player that went to VT because it was a "legacy" and his "only offer" which then was proven to be wrong. Then I give you another player from the same year on the same team that god three offers his senior year. I could literally find hundreds of these players every year.
Perhaps, if you looked throughout the Country. Not if you're just counting VA, which is what we're talking about on this board. Almost all VMI players come Senior year because they can't get anyone prior.

But I have found the database no longer reflects the offer dates. I can verify that Fox Coleman had 7 total offers. One FBS during his Senior year and thankfully, the one he wanted. I can verify that UVA currently has 13 committed players and VT has 15. Limit is 25 and we're not even done with June. VMI has zip. Starting to get the picture?

You cannot verify anything. At this point, I cannot find references to verify offer dates either. The database no longer reflects this although it did for many years prior to the "upgrade". So we'll have to keep score this year. You will not get more than 25 VA players with Senior year DI offers (that's after Sept 1) prior to National Signing day. VMI doesn't count because they don't get anyone prior to Sept 1. But, of course, you can site hundreds of Players, so this slight handicap should not be an issue. More than welcome to throw it in my face when you win. I will be much kinder.

Perhaps, if you looked throughout the Country. Not if you're just counting VA, which is what we're talking about on this board. Almost all VMI players come Senior year because they can't get anyone prior.

But I have found the database no longer reflects the offer dates. I can verify that Fox Coleman had 7 total offers. One FBS during his Senior year and thankfully, the one he wanted. I can verify that UVA currently has 13 committed players and VT has 15. Limit is 25 and we're not even done with June. VMI has zip. Starting to get the picture?

You cannot verify anything. At this point, I cannot find references to verify offer dates either. The database no longer reflects this although it did for many years prior to the "upgrade". So we'll have to keep score this year. You will not get more than 25 VA players with Senior year DI offers (that's after Sept 1) prior to National Signing day. VMI doesn't count because they don't get anyone prior to Sept 1. But, of course, you can site hundreds of Players, so this slight handicap should not be an issue. More than welcome to throw it in my face when you win. I will be much kinder.
I never said in VA... you just made it in VA only. There will still be a bunch just in this state. What other stipulations do you have? We know VMI is off limits any other schools? Do legacies count or no? I need to know every measure you will use to discount the actual numbers with.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I never said in VA... you just made it in VA only. There will still be a bunch just in this state. What other stipulations do you have? We know VMI is off limits any other schools? Do legacies count or no? I need to know every measure you will use to discount the actual numbers with.
No stipulations. VMI is it. senior players with a DI offer after Sept I. That's it. More than 25 players. You win. Easy, Peazy, lemon squeezy. I'll be nice about it and just post the numbers. Don't worry. But you'll be very fortunate to get halfway. Remember, it's players with offers. Not offers to players. And I NEVER discount real numbers.

I will also say that I do not agree with this philosophy but it is the nature of today's recruiting. You cannot be blinded by the facts. You must be first to get the best athletes, even though these are young men that may develop at different rates. Many lose sight of this but when you're successful, others must follow. The competition is fierce.

Sept 1 is the date. Lock em' in. The good programs are recruiting 2018 - 19 kids after that and making sure their commits stay that way. Not believing or understanding that is your option.

No stipulations. VMI is it. senior players with a DI offer after Sept I. That's it. More than 25 players. You win. Easy, Peazy, lemon squeezy. I'll be nice about it and just post the numbers. Don't worry. But you'll be very fortunate to get halfway. Remember, it's players with offers. Not offers to players. And I NEVER discount real numbers.

I will also say that I do not agree with this philosophy but it is the nature of today's recruiting. You cannot be blinded by the facts. You must be first to get the best athletes, even though these are young men that may develop at different rates. Many lose sight of this but when you're successful, others must follow. The competition is fierce.

Sept 1 is the date. Lock em' in. The good programs are recruiting 2018 - 19 kids after that and making sure their commits stay that way. Not believing or understanding that is your option.
"No stipulations. VMI is it"... can you be any more hypocritical? You do discount real numbers because you are already choosing one school not to include.

Do you really think I don't understand recruiting? I played college football and have been writing for Virginia Tech football for years. You are acting like you have a level of understanding far beyond anybody else and it gets old.

"No stipulations. VMI is it"... can you be any more hypocritical? You do discount real numbers because you are already choosing one school not to include.

Do you really think I don't understand recruiting? I played college football and have been writing for Virginia Tech football for years. You are acting like you have a level of understanding far beyond anybody else and it gets old.
I specified VMI out of the chute.

Recruiting is over Sept 1. That's the deal. VMI is not even a player in the recruiting game. That's why they are meaningless. It's why they are who they are. If you write for VATech, you already know that. You should also know you can't win this challenge. Save face and let it go. I won't rub your nose in it but I will post the numbers if you wish to continue.

Recruiting is over Sept 1. That's the deal. VMI is not even a player in the recruiting game. That's why they are meaningless. It's why they are who they are. If you write for VATech, you already know that. You should also know you can't win this challenge. Save face and let it go. I won't rub your nose in it but I will post the numbers if you wish to continue.
Recruiting is never really over, however, for all intents and purposes the first Wednesday of February moves the page to the next class.

First off, 25 kids in the state is a pretty good number and already not as rare as you make it out to be. Two years ago Salem had 2 kids alone that would have fit this criteria (5-6 if you count VMI).

Still trying to figure out why you would even post "not a serious player" to start with. It wasn't like there was an ongoing discussion about what level cfb the kid would play and you were giving your opinion. It was completely out of the blue and pretty obviously meant to be demeaning. Regardless you have been wrong multiple times in this thread already, which seems to be pretty standard.

Not a DI type kid but manages the game well. A trait that may be even more valuable at a HS level. You can't train an arm but you can train consistency and smarts. He has already displayed the smarts and he's still young but nobody will need to game plan the young man. He can't win games for you based on skill level but he won't lose them either.
LOL

This deserves one more laugh.

Glad you liked it but my opinion remains the same. If it's any consolation to you, I didn't think Tace McSorely was a D1 QB either.
McSorley is just a winner and a great competitor. In HS he led Briar Woods to 4 State appearances, winning 3 in a row in 4A, and a runner up in 5A! PSU started slow before ultimately ending up 10-3 this year. Good things to come for his Sr season, maybe an appearance in the Final 4 CFP? (Just missed out at #5 this year)

Ashton at Pitt (fotmerly Sherando) has been great too!

And now Rivers (Sherando) going to VT at LB, good things and big Congratulations from an UVA fan!

I hope Coleman Fox will be used this year at slot receiver since the backfield seems loaded. And I hope Zacharias Hoyt will play Center too this year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT