ADVERTISEMENT

Sandy Creek over Gate City in OT 96-91

sharkfan83

VaPreps Varsity
Aug 30, 2015
GC was up by as many as 11 or 12 early on and let Sandy Creek back in the game in the 3rd qtr. GC had no answer for Jester for Sandy Creek. He finished with 42 pts. Once they got rolling they went up by 10 over GC with 4 mins to play. GC managed to fight back in it and tie the game with 1 second left and take the game to OT. Devil's missed a few shots when the score 94-91 and just couldn't quite get it done.

Devils competed in the first round well and that's a refreshing change. Had their chances to win both games against quality competition .... Wings being the #15 team in the nation last year. Not bad for GC....Learn from it and move on.

Last edited:
Reactions: pizzzzza
GC was up by as many as 11 or 12 early on and let Sandy Creek back in the game in the 3rd qtr. GC had no answer for Jester for Sandy Creek. He finished with 42 pts. Once they got rolling they went up by 10 over GC with 4 mins to play. GC managed to fight back in it and tie the game with 1 second left and take the game to OT. Devil's missed a few shots when the score 94-91 and just couldn't quite get it done.

Devils competed innthe first round well and that's a refreshing change. Had their chances to win both games against quality competition .... Wings being the #15 team in the nation last year. Not bad for GC....Learn from it and move on.

The competition Gate City is playing right now will make a big difference down the road.

I've been keeping a close eye on the Arby's Classic - lots of VERY good teams there.

Reactions: sharkfan83
Oh there's no doubt it will help them. I'm biased but I actually think they was the best team yesterday and today both. They just can't get their shots to fall at Viking Hall. I really would have never dreamed I would say it....But if GC played them both 10 more times I wouldn't care one bit to place money on GC in every game. GC had more talent than both teams starting 5....But the young guys they need quality minutes from just aren't quite gelling yet and the Arbys is a very big stage for a young kid on a varsity team. Dean wasn't shooting well at all on this tournament and McClung went 0-8 from deep last night against Wings and still should have won the game. When GC isn't shooting the ball well at all and still should win against Wings and Sandy Creek....It's a very encouraging sign.

The only area GC needs to improve on is rebounding....and at times, hustle. Once the young guys get some more experience under their belt, I like GCs chances with anyone in the state of VA. They could use a true post player...But you can't grow them to suit your needs. They will do very well with the pieces they have.

Last edited:
Reactions: pizzzzza
I remember how much trouble GC gave Martinsville in the regional game - I knew then they would trouble this season for opponents.

And like you said, once the younger, inexperienced players get some playing time under their belt....watch out!

The Dean player is going to be a fantastic player by time he's a senior - he's definitely one to keep an eye on.

Martinsville was just a better team than GC last year. They wasnt 30-40 pts better that the score showed in the 2nd meeting but they was definitely better. But GC did the same thing last year against MHS as they did against THS. Played really well in previous game(s) and then layed an egg in the next matchup..

This year and next year looks bright for GC...Providing all the players stick around.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
That's what I had heard.....Not sure if it's so. So if true, GC played the #1 4A team from GA and played the former #15 team in the nation from the Bronx who is undefeated this year to date. Wings Academy put away Christ School today and are on their way to the semis. And what's even more encouraging is that GC played pretty poorly (shooting and rebounding wise) and still had a chance to win when the buzzer sounded in both games. Nothing that those teams threw at GC worked when it came to stopping the Devils....GC just missed alot of shots that they normally don't miss and stopped themselves

The schedule takes a bit of a turn from here on til February.

Gate City may lose to Martinsville or someone else in 2A but they have played the hardest part of their schedule already. February included . These 3 teams that I have seen GC play at least 2 of them are better than Martinsville last year. Maybe all three.

So GC will finally get that elusive state championship in basketball this year. And I'm sure that Wings and Shady are better than Mavahi was last year but one thing is for certain, GC wasn't.

Reactions: AntGZee
I still think there's several teams in 2A this year that will give GC all they can handle and then some. The Devil's lack a big man and don't hustle enough when it comes to rebounding. Too many people watching instead of scracthing and clawing after the ball. If I was Coach (and obviously I'm not) there'd be some boys digging splinters out of their a** for a month. GC can win most of their district games without their starters....So if those guys aren't giving what's expected on both ends of the court I'd make an example out of them and say "Next man in". Give the guys something to think about while also getting some valuable playing time under the belt of the young guys. The Devils arent quite championship material right now......I mean they are good which is evident. But still things missing that they haven't put together.

Last edited:
I'm a bit vexed by that remark. Those teams that GC lost to are better than Martinsville last year? YEAH RITE!!!!!! You mite as well say the GC team this year is better than Martinsville last year. Then you think GC should have won the games that they lost to those teams. Dude, let's be real. That Martinsville team last year could play with any team that I saw play in Richmond last year; no mater the classification. Oh yes, Martinsville was 30 / 40 points better than GC last year. Rep and support your team but keep it real. Martinsville would beat GC 10 out of 10 times if they played that many times. GC was good but Martinsville was a MUCH better team.

Like it or not, its true. You didn't see any of those teams play at the Arby's. Are you saying that you have a hard time believing that Georgia's top 4A team is not better than Martinsville last year? Then keep on keeping on. They had two big men better, certainly more athletic, than what you had last year, better support around them and a lot deeper. And they sure didn't have to hide them in a 2-3 zone either . And Wings Academy - Shocking to believe that an Academy Team from the Bronx (a Jordan affiliated Team) could beat the almighty 2016 2A Virginia State Champions. Wow, I must be Cray Cray. Where did all those Martinsville blue chips go? Kentucky, Duke maybe UNC?

Cry if you want too about it.. But try to stick to what you know.

I don't know nor did I speculate about a 2016 Martinsville team vs. a 2017 Gate City team game. Nor do I care. The issue about Gate City and Martinsville was undeniably settled on the Court last year. It is over, Martinsville killed everyone in 2A. Does not mean your better than everyone in the United States for all time. And honestly 2A was not that strong last year. 1A might have been better. And you are "home team blind" if you think Martinsville would have won every division last year.

I would be crazy to say," Martinsville could beat teams from any class last year In Richmond". My words were, " they could play with any of them". Now as far as those teams in the Arby's Classic, it's just a matter of opinion. Noone knows what team is better til they play one another on the court. Good luck to GC this year.

Not that it really matters too much to me, but I'm not sure how the Georgia team was #1 in 4A when they showed up to Bristol with 2 losses already. And they had 3 losses by the time they played the Devils.

Reactions: AntGZee
I seen that as well. I would assume the same logic as the way GC will more than likely remain still in one of the Top 5 spots after this past week. My guess is Sandy Creek either played some powerhouse teams in a tournament or they have lost to some Top ranked 5A-6A schools. That's the only way that it's possible.

However, GC may not be ranked in the Top 20 after this week. Wont make a hill of beans worth of difference but it's still entirely possible.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT