ADVERTISEMENT

Schedule for Salem if there was no district

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
Pulaski, Patrick Henry, Amherst, Northside, Lord Botetourt, Magna Vista, William Byrd, LCA, Brookville, a team from NOVA --Richmond--or Tidewater------Problem with this is the obvious increase in travel
May not be worth it or cost effective

Pulaski, Patrick Henry, Amherst, Northside, Lord Botetourt, Magna Vista, William Byrd, LCA, Brookville, a team from NOVA --Richmond--or Tidewater------Problem with this is the obvious increase in travel
Botetourt happens to be good now, but they had some bad yrs prior to Harless. Fleming could be interchangeable with Botetourt depending on who's good at the time. Amherst is a good rivalry game, but could be interchangeable with Heritage because of Bradley. Whichever Seminole team is hot could be rotated in every 2 yrs. Even though Byrd is a county rival they could be switched out as well.

Why would anyone play LCA? the VHSL did their usual no balls cowering in allowing them to play. That doesn't mean schools have to schedule them.
GO SALEM
GO MULES

Why would anyone play LCA? the VHSL did their usual no balls cowering in allowing them to play. That doesn't mean schools have to schedule them.
GO SALEM
GO MULES
I agree with that statement. Why? Of course everyone in Seminole has to. They have lost 3 in a row and they are probably not happy about it. They wouldn't do well in Seminole this year either

Can someone provide an actual real dollar itemized cost estimate for Salem to play at Sherando or Lake Taylor?

I can't , but I think the real loss is at the gate, when you travel further than the normal range. Sherando fans travel very well, until you add 40 or 50 more miles. for example we traveled 35 miles to Jefferson WV on Friday and probably had 800 to 1000 fans on the visitor side. On the contrary , just traveling to Louisa we only had maybe 100 fans. Salem would lose significant gate proceeds if Sherando replaced let's say Pulaski. actual travel cost itself to Salem is probably not very significant, a little more fuel , and a team meal on the road would leave my estimate at around 500 to 700 dollars more than usual travel cost.

Surely someone on the east side of state has this information. Travel cost seems to have been the issue in 5 and 6 A with having the pod playoff format. That is actually poor excuses because it takes 1 1/2 hour from Richmond to Va Beach. Teams west of Richmond routinely travel that each week and in the West playoffs it can be 3 hours each week.

I agree with that statement. Why? Of course everyone in Seminole has to. They have lost 3 in a row and they are probably not happy about it. They wouldn't do well in Seminole this year either

VHSL had to because it would have continued to cost millions (yes millions of dollars to fight it) and with no guarantee it would go their way. I hate it and don't agree with it but with the court system growing more liberal with their rulings it was bound to happen. They were able to prevent boarding schools from joining and put in some other regulations that many other states don't have by settling out of court. The VHSL lost money for the past 2 years and couldn't afford to continue the fight.

Again, not defending the VHSL b/c I hate that LCA is now in and in the future others will follow, next is homeschoolers......

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Surely someone on the east side of state has this information. Travel cost seems to have been the issue in 5 and 6 A with having the pod playoff format. That is actually poor excuses because it takes 1 1/2 hour from Richmond to Va Beach. Teams west of Richmond routinely travel that each week and in the West playoffs it can be 3 hours each week.
SO, you believe that it's the Eastern teams that are crying about travel??? I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
The money is where the school systems are growing or the poorer school systems that get government aid for more teachers , teachers aids etc . Those are just facts in the school systems . I know Salem has played benefit games to help pay for travel the last two years . Where does the money go in the school budget ? Some government funds have to be earmarked in certain areas and others depend upon the particular locality .

SO, you believe that it's the Eastern teams that are crying about travel??? I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn
I know some schools in our area and one in particular that gate is everything. People that be are not happy when money is not flowing in the gate. It is sad that at the high school level we are talking money but we are.
VHSL claims it lost near $300,000 last year alone and in my opinion it's not so much as travel as it is schools having sports like lacrosse in my area and these other fufu sports offered at our school. Those sports LOSE money. If the VHSL is so concerned with money make schools who want all these fufu sports pay more from their gate. I don't know I am really talking out of my tail, but my school has really watered down other sports by offering lacrosse and other fufu sports.

Also, here in Roanoke area , school systems are looking at options for closing certain schools , not have Asst. Principals, at certain schools, cutting back on athletics etc . Finite money !

How much you want for that bridge?..

Just kidding.

Don't you think that "travel expense" is an over-used excuse? Given, for a location like Charles City, ANY increase in travel expenses is a monumental problem. But for most school systems the cost of travel expenses is so buried in the overall expenses of running a school system, nobody but bean counters could probably figure out what the actual cost might be. And then they can play with the numbers and make them say what the situation calls for.

Reactions: DEVILSLB99

Just kidding.

Don't you think that "travel expense" is an over-used excuse? Given, for a location like Charles City, ANY increase in travel expenses is a monumental problem. But for most school systems the cost of travel expenses is so buried in the overall expenses of running a school system, nobody but bean counters could probably figure out what the actual cost might be. And then they can play with the numbers and make them say what the situation calls for.

Exactly...It's a built in excuse that many use because lets be honest who is going to really call out the schools and make them show how they are losing money? No one is going to do that so they can keep getting away with the cost concerns argument.

54603403.jpg

Does Salem have a booster club?
Salem has the Sports Foundation. It is for all sports in Salem. They contribute a lot of money to scholarships. They also give money to sports for items they need like uniforms, equipment, banquets, ect...

I would imagine so. Most programs whether it's cheerleading or basketball have some sort of fundraising. Some are part of the school and some are just parents and coaches and kids. You should do an article on that and how much travel expenses are for these programs around the state.

Yes the new 4a east pods are due to gates and travel expenses. Next thing is they will want to be reimbursed for traveling to lynchburg.

Yes the new 4a east pods are due to gates and travel expenses. Next thing is they will want to be reimbursed for traveling to lynchburg.
Again the Tidewater teams don't care about travel.. This travel thing has been a gripe of the Richmond area schools because they didn't want the new system to begin with. They have always contended that they would like to have a regional champion.

Look when all the other regions under the old system when they expanded their playoffs the only one's that kept it at 4 teams were the Central Region schools. Too many old school athletic directors that want to have a Central Region champion and they outnumber the AD's that want to have the best play the best. That is why 5A South started with pod system to begin with, and when the 4A East people met and they kept saying how they lost money there was no choice but to go to pods. Now the new thing will be going back to 4 regions which will be voted into effect in the next meeting.

I can't , but I think the real loss is at the gate, when you travel further than the normal range. Sherando fans travel very well, until you add 40 or 50 more miles. for example we traveled 35 miles to Jefferson WV on Friday and probably had 800 to 1000 fans on the visitor side. On the contrary , just traveling to Louisa we only had maybe 100 fans. Salem would lose significant gate proceeds if Sherando replaced let's say Pulaski. actual travel cost itself to Salem is probably not very significant, a little more fuel , and a team meal on the road would leave my estimate at around 500 to 700 dollars more than usual travel cost.
You are correct. Salem travels well too, within a certain mileage. We travel well to playoff games too but a two or three hour drive would really cut into the gate.

I would imagine so. Most programs whether it's cheerleading or basketball have some sort of fundraising. Some are part of the school and some are just parents and coaches and kids. You should do an article on that and how much travel expenses are for these programs around the state.

If I thought for a second that I could actually get accurate information about travel budgets, I might. But there are way too many agendas attached to get real information.

Salem has the Sports Foundation. It is for all sports in Salem. They contribute a lot of money to scholarships. They also give money to sports for items they need like uniforms, equipment, banquets, ect...
Football in Salem is the Golden Goose. The Sports Foundation is on the decline because they insist that they are " for every sport" They've forgotten their roots. My guess is that close to thirty " sports" at SHS are feeding at the football feeder. They contribute little or nothing. Don't get me started on the Salem Sports Foundation!

VHSL had to because it would have continued to cost millions (yes millions of dollars to fight it) and with no guarantee it would go their way. I hate it and don't agree with it but with the court system growing more liberal with their rulings it was bound to happen. They were able to prevent boarding schools from joining and put in some other regulations that many other states don't have by settling out of court. The VHSL lost money for the past 2 years and couldn't afford to continue the fight.

Again, not defending the VHSL b/c I hate that LCA is now in and in the future others will follow, next is homeschoolers......
so I assume they're bound by the same rules that effect everyone else?

I know some schools in our area and one in particular that gate is everything. People that be are not happy when money is not flowing in the gate. It is sad that at the high school level we are talking money but we are.
VHSL claims it lost near $300,000 last year alone and in my opinion it's not so much as travel as it is schools having sports like lacrosse in my area and these other fufu sports offered at our school. Those sports LOSE money. If the VHSL is so concerned with money make schools who want all these fufu sports pay more from their gate. I don't know I am really talking out of my tail, but my school has really watered down other sports by offering lacrosse and other fufu sports.
Amen! Don't get me started on all the sports that suck the life out of the Golden Goose here in Salem. I want to puke!

Just kidding.

Travel expense on the face of it seems trivial. The real thing is the burden it puts on the fan base. Here in Salem we love our football team as I am sure most folks love their teams. We love to see them play. Contrary to what a lot of people think Salem is not a bunch of rich folks. We're a blue collar town. Now if a family of say five or six has to load everyone up at four in the afternoon, travel three or four hours to a game, feed everyone on the way, pay to fill up the family van, etc. you get the picture.

Don't you think that "travel expense" is an over-used excuse?

It's the equivalent of quitting your job to "spend more time with the family" or claiming that you are in the right because "think of the children".

They are lies that we have to accept because you don't want to be the monster opposing those ideals even though we all know that they are lies to begin with.

Football in Salem is the Golden Goose. The Sports Foundation is on the decline because they insist that they are " for every sport" They've forgotten their roots. My guess is that close to thirty " sports" at SHS are feeding at the football feeder. They contribute little or nothing. Don't get me started on the Salem Sports Foundation!
And you don't think Colleges work the same way? All the lesser Sports feed off the Major.

It's the equivalent of quitting your job to "spend more time with the family" or claiming that you are in the right because "think of the children".

They are lies that we have to accept because you don't want to be the monster opposing those ideals even though we all know that they are lies to begin with.
What?

We're not talking about colleges.
GO SALEM
GO MULES
We're talking about Administrations and what is right. Every team sponsored by your School shares the wealth, even if one is the major revenue generator. And each student/athlete deserves the opportunity to participate in whatever activity they wish. A Saxophone player deserves as much as an OLineman. What planet are you from that you don't understand this? This isn't political correctness. It's right and wrong.

It's like UVA. You go there on Saturdays, the Stadium is half full. They're not generating as much as they could but baseball, soccer and Lacrosse are nationally ranked programs. Frankly, I've listened to a lot of UVA haters on here saying how bad they were as a program. The facts are, UVA is one of the top 5 overall Athletic programs in the Country, despite how the Football program pulls them down. The Administrative program is to make Salem the same and they've actually done a pretty good job.

You really need to start seeing there is a far larger picture than Football when it comes to running a Sports Program.

It saddens me that the brilliant minds that roam this thread are busy trying to solve scheduling problems of small schools in Virginia when there are far bigger problems troubling the world at large. You do your fellow man a disservice by wasting time here arguing over such trivial issues.

We're talking about Administrations and what is right. Every team sponsored by your School shares the wealth, even if one is the major revenue generator. And each student/athlete deserves the opportunity to participate in whatever activity they wish. A Saxophone player deserves as much as an OLineman. What planet are you from that you don't understand this? This isn't political correctness. It's right and wrong.

It's like UVA. You go there on Saturdays, the Stadium is half full. They're not generating as much as they could but baseball, soccer and Lacrosse are nationally ranked programs. Frankly, I've listened to a lot of UVA haters on here saying how bad they were as a program. The facts are, UVA is one of the top 5 overall Athletic programs in the Country, despite how the Football program pulls them down. The Administrative program is to make Salem the same and they've actually done a pretty good job.

You really need to start seeing there is a far larger picture than Football when it comes to running a Sports Program.
Our band has a booster club Einstein, and they damned sure don't share their wealth with the football team.
You don't know squat about Salem!
I'm guessing you're a Bernie Sanders supporter!
GO SALEM
GO MULES

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
So every sport or activity has it's own Booster Club? I would need someone else from Salem to verify that. I've never known a College or HS program to be organized in such a way. But I am happy to learn something new every day. For example, if Mike Salem says it's so, I believe him. From you, no.

I've never heard of anyone called Bernie Sanders. I am a big Barry Sanders supporter though, if that helps. Although I would assume your reference Is to one of the conglomeration of idiots running for some political office. But trying to read the agenda on your mind is very difficult, so who knows. Hopefully, some Salem folks can help me out here.

Last edited:
The answer is no not all sports have there own boosters but majority of the sports do have there owning fundraising ways. The girls soccer team does fundraising thru a local soccer club. Wrestling used to have there own booster and would raise their funding thru an open wrestling tournament but our past AD took that away because they couldn't control what they wanted control. A whole another can of worms there. But a lot of sports do try to raise there own money believe me I have kids in other sports other football in Salem and its pennies compare to football. I wish the community would come out just like they do for football. It would be amazing site to see with all the community support we have here in Salem. And as for Mule I know him personally and can't get any better man here in Salem that LOVES Salem football. He may not have the same feelings for other sports (especially his favorite soccer haha Mule) but he loves the Salem kids all the same.

The answer is no not all sports have there own boosters but majority of the sports do have there owning fundraising ways. The girls soccer team does fundraising thru a local soccer club. Wrestling used to have there own booster and would raise their funding thru an open wrestling tournament but our past AD took that away because they couldn't control what they wanted control. A whole another can of worms there. But a lot of sports do try to raise there own money believe me I have kids in other sports other football in Salem and its pennies compare to football. I wish the community would come out just like they do for football. It would be amazing site to see with all the community support we have here in Salem. And as for Mule I know him personally and can't get any better man here in Salem that LOVES Salem football. He may not have the same feelings for other sports (especially his favorite soccer haha Mule) but he loves the Salem kids all the same.
Hell, every team has fundraisers. That's not Boosters, IMO. And Soccer is the best sport in the world. Mine were all exceptional at it. Baseball too. I did everything I could to keep them from Football. I was only 1 for 3 in this area but I'm glad they gave it up in College. There's a real life and I'm glad they're living it now without debilitating injury.

I do love Football but I don't think anyone should play it past HS. If you actually saw, from the field level and at the practices, what was involved, a parent would never let their child do it. If you saw what their bodies looked like when the pads and Jersy's came off, there would be no question of this choice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT