ADVERTISEMENT

Schedules

mike salem

Nov 2, 2009
Salem
I thought it would be interesting to make a hypothetical schedule for your favorite team if you didn't have to abide by districts.

Here is mine for Salem:

1.Northside
2.William Fleming
3.Patrick Henry
4.GW Danville
5.Amherst
6.Heritage
7.Jefferson Forest
8.Brookville
9.Magna Vista
10.Pulaski

Just my opinion, who would you like to see your favorite team play? It would also be cool to see Salem play a traditionally good NOVA, TIDE, or RICH team every year to prepare for the playoffs. Mainly since the VHSL has made districts meaningless in football, I'd love to see them get away from having to play all teams in the district. Some are rivals and
would be good to keep, others are absolutely meaningless or otherwise uncompetitive. I guess because I grew up in Lynchburg, my hypothetical schedule includes a lot of Seminole teams.

I like where your idea for Salem's schedule, but I agree it's too Seminole-heavy. Here's mine.

1. Northside
2. Pulaski
3. Patrick Henry
4. William Fleming
5. Hidden Valley
6. Christiansburg (a little down recently, but Cromer should bring them back)
7. Amherst (or GW-Danville)
8. Jefferson Forest
9. Magna Vista (or Giles)
10. Cross-Sectional Game (NOVA, 757, Richmond, Piedmont Triad)

Nice idea...

I'll take Hanover since I live in the district...

I would keep the county rivals...

Patrick Henry
Lee-Davis
Atlee

That leaves 7 slots to fill and I would choose other 4A schools within the Richmond Region such as...

JR Tucker they already play
Dinwiddie, their playoff history would make this interesting
Monacan, have played before and would be a good test for both teams
Louisa, not that far down the road
Powhatan

Then throw in a school from say Conference 18 like say a Grafton or Lafayette and a school from say Conference 19 like a Eastern View, Courtland or Chancellor.

I understand what you're saying Mike. You want to see a really good game every week, but we all know it's not going to happen for a few reasons, district schedules just being one of them, but some of those aren't as difficult as they have been in the past, but your schedule is certainly a good one. Happy New Year!

District Games---Cave Spring, Hidden Valley, Christiansburg, Blacksburg, Carroll County (wish we could eliminate this one--I am sure they do also), Pulaski------William Fleming, Patrick Henry, Amherst, Northside-------This is about all we can hope for realistically----when the Amherst series is over maybe Magna Vista or Jefferson Forest-----I don't think G.W. Danville is realistic for a while considering their behavior in the playoff game this year.

Dan, you got your wish on Dinwiddie. That will be one of the first three games this year. (Unless the Central District changes the order of district games, not very likely).

Doesn't do Salem, GW or any other North team much good to play in section unless they want to continue to get their rear ends handed to them in the state finals(no cross bracket) or semis(cross bracket). Eventually they are going to have to get out of their comfort zones and go play some big boy football teams if they want to get up to speed.

Playing a different schedule this year would not have given Salem D1 corners and a few D1 defensive linemen. When Salem's talent level deserves to win another State Championship they will----the schedule won't matter. Until then Salem will be as god as their talent allows. All year I said that Salem's offense could play with anyone---I stand by that statement (However, it didn't help that Fox --arguably Salem's best athlete and player---was unable to play offense the last two and a half games). But I never said that Salem's defense was of State Championship quality---while it had some strengths it also had some obvious weaknesses. Not having a great defense made no difference until the State Championship game--Salem could outscore everyone else. Salem will just have to hope that some talent rolls through the system that will allow them to be strong on both sides of the ball. More overall talent is what Salem needs---not a schedule that calls for five hour bus trips. It ain't the x's and o's its the Jimmy's and Joe" and it's not who you played it's who did the playing.

I have to agree completely here. Salem has a great program, system and Coaching. But the bottom line is how good is the other guy. It's, as you said, about the Jimmies and the Joes. Eventually and inevitably, the West will prevail with superior talent. Might be 2 years. Might be 20. But it will happen.

Just hang tough, continue success and be proud. That's the guarantee when you're a Salem supporter. Year after year. A great team and title contender. GL in 2015.

I'm actually not sure you want to play a beast EVERY week.

But if someone does...here's a good schedule for Dinwiddie (probably my favorite 4A team that's been good lately):

First the local 4A powers: Monacan, Hanover, Powhatan
Central District foes worth keeping on schedule: Thomas Dale, Matoaca, Meadowbrook
Now, to get a few powers from around the state, but not ridiculous: Let's head north and grab Colonial Forge, into Chesterfield for L.C. Bird (or Manchester), Down East and make Lake Taylor a regular event, out west and grab Magna Vista for our little dip into 3A.

Re: I'm actually not sure you want to play a beast EVERY week.

For Louisa:

Patrick Henry (Ashland)
Chancellor
James Monroe
Courtland
Dinwiddie
Amherst
Charlottesville
Hanover
Monticello
Powhatan

You are correct that the largest part of the formula is the jimmies and the joes, however, they also have to be battle tested. If the first time they ever see top shelf talent is the finals they will be hard pressed to adjust to the real speed and athleticism they are confronted with. Moreover, if they only see it one time each year the adjustment period is substantially extended.

Originally posted by cutnjump:
You are correct that the largest part of the formula is the jimmies and the joes, however, they also have to be battle tested. If the first time they ever see top shelf talent is the finals they will be hard pressed to adjust to the real speed and athleticism they are confronted with.
This is where I think the disconnect lies.

Re: I'm actually not sure you want to play a beast EVERY week.

HoosFan05[/URL]

I see three maybe four wins with that schedule with the team that you had this year, pretty tough schedule.

Probably the best post I've seen of yours. I agree one hundred percent.

Phoebus, Norview, Maury, Booker T. Washington, Churchland, Woodrow Wilson, Granby, Norcom, Lakeland, Dinwiddie, and Kings Fork. All of them played the type of schedules that all the self-proclaimed experts on here are touting as featuring teams laden with speed and talent. And yet, despite those rigorous schedules, none of them fared any better against Lake Taylor than Salem (minus arguably its best two-way player in school history) did. Gee - how could that possibly be? All those teams play the same "awe-inspiring" schedules every year. They should all be able to take Lake Taylor to the wire, right?

BTW, people - all of those teams play those schedules for the same reason Salem plays the schools it does. The reason being - they schedule the closest schools available! In the same district. Schools that have history and geography in common. So, at least try to dial back on the Salem hatred for five minutes, and quit holding Salem up to some ridiculous standard to which no other school in the state is being held, when it comes to scheduling.

Either that, or start sending in those sizable checks so Salem can afford to travel four hours one-way every week. Because, despite what the "experts" who have been to Salem once in their lives are claiming - the school system cannot afford such a travel-heavy football schedule. The city cannot afford it. Salem Stadium has needed renovating for at least five years, and the city can't afford that. I've lived in Salem every single day of my fifty-some years. So please - you people that may have been here for a game once or twice: stop telling me what Salem can afford to do.

Originally posted by SpartanOfYore:
BTW, people - all of those teams play those schedules for the same reason Salem plays the schools it does. The reason being - they schedule the closest schools available! In the same district. Schools that have history and geography in common. So, at least try to dial back on the Salem hatred for five minutes, and quit holding Salem up to some ridiculous standard to which no other school in the state is being held, when it comes to scheduling.

Either that, or start sending in those sizable checks so Salem can afford to travel four hours one-way every week. Because, despite what the "experts" who have been to Salem once in their lives are claiming - the school system cannot afford such a travel-heavy football schedule. The city cannot afford it. Salem Stadium has needed renovating for at least five years, and the city can't afford that. I've lived in Salem every single day of my fifty-some years. So please - you people that may have been here for a game once or twice: stop telling me what Salem can afford to do.
A couple of things about some items in your above post. Within the last 2 cycles Phoebus has played Dematha in 2013..Norview has played Roosevelt from MD, and some other teams from outside the area, Booker T. Washington played Broad Run and other teams from outside the area, Churchland played Phoebus, Hampton, GW Danville, and other schools in the past, Woodrow Wilson has played Northeastern who by the way lost in the state finals this year, Granby has played Woodbridge when they had DaShawn Hand, Norcom has played Northeastern, Lakeland plays in an ultra competitive district that has them stuck with 9 district games including Oscar Smith, Dinwiddie plays in the tough Central District, and Kings Fork see Lakeland. Now I say all this to say teams in the Southeastern District (Indian River, Kings Fork, Oscar Smith, Western Branch, Lakeland, Nansemond River, Hickory, Great Bridge, Deep Creek, and Grassfield) is 10 teams which means you have 9 games because they are locked up in district so they have to go out and find the best game possible in out of district competition. Beach District (Tallwood, Landstown, Salem, Ocean Lakes, First Colonial, Bayside, Cox, Kempsville, Princess Anne, Green Run, and Kellam) which is 11 teams deep and so they don't have an out of district game. Peninsula District (Phoebus, Hampton, Warwick, Gloucester, Heritage, Kecoughtan, Bethel, Denbigh, Menchville, and Woodside) which gives them 10 teams and 9 district games. The only district that has multiple openings for out of district games is Lake Taylor's district which is the Eastern with (Booker T, Granby, Norcom, Maury, Churchland, Norview, LT, and Wilson) now with 8 teams that leaves teams with 3 out of district spots so in the PD and SED there are 20 OOD games to be had and the Eastern District has 24 games needed. In saying all this you talk about the districts, but show me one district what is full of cupcakes? Sure the Eastern District has the history of being not that great and honestly that is due to lack of members, but 5 out of 7 made the playoffs and 3 won. Salem plays against the River Ridge District correct? (Blacksburg, Carroll Co., Cave Spring, Christiansburg, Hidden Valley, PH-Roanoke, Pulaski) So they played OOD against Franklin Co, William Byrd, and Northside which Northside is solid. You can't help who you play when its against old district foes, but the other 3 games can be controlled. There are other solid teams in the area that could be played s

You talk about how Salem Stadium needs renovations and how the city is broke do you think this is a Salem only problem? The city of Norfolk is broke yet we got on a charter to Amherst and Bird during the regular season and stayed overnight in Charlottesville for state finals because we fund raised as coaches like crazy. We have NO booster club. Guess what the city told our football team a long time ago to figure out how to pay for rings and jackets IF we won it all as they wouldn't contribute one dime. Salem can find a way to gas up a bus for a trip out of their comfort zone ONE time every TWO years. It's not as finically crippling as some are trying to make it seem.

Renovating a stadium is a far different endeavor than funding a travel budget which requires decidedly different funding sources. What about the Salem Sports Foundation and the other program backers? Have they used all the funds that were available when Willis reitred because that little fund could have paid for many, many years of trips and much more if what Coach White told me was an accurate number.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT