ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmages

headevil2

Gold Member
Jul 2, 2004
Who are teams scrimmaging? some teams start up Monday, and others next monday, so lets start talking

How did North Stafford look?
I know N. Stafford usually puts out a decent year in and year out. I think they will be pretty good, BUT They really couldn't move the ball against HS's defense. HS's offense moved the ball at will against their defense. HS was head and shoulders ahead of them. HS looked like a college team playing a high school JV team

I know N. Stafford usually puts out a decent year in and year out. I think they will be pretty good, BUT They really couldn't move the ball against HS's defense. HS's offense moved the ball at will against their defense. HS was head and shoulders ahead of them. HS looked like a college team playing a high school JV team

Weird. I heard that the NS quarterback tossed two touchdown passes and threw for over 150 yards in the first half.

Guess that I will have to check out HUDL.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Weird. I heard that the NS quarterback tossed two touchdown passes and threw for over 150 yards in the first half.

Guess that I will have to check out HUDL.
Before the rain delay, 1st half.... HS scored 3 times, 2 long drives with a mix of passes and runs scoring twice. Then they ran a 80 yard drive (all runs basically up the middle) for a score.NS managed 1 run from scrimmage for about 25 yards no scores.. After that, they got nothing!!! They couldn't move the ball against them.This was the starters The rain delay.... Me and My buddy went for lunch and came back about an hour later. we missed about 30 minutes. 2nd-3rd teams were on the field, I was told HS score 2 more times. I saw NS receiver caught a a td pass laying on his back just before the scrimmage ended.
HS's starters are the real deal.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
HSHS scrimmaged Thomas Dale today. This was as even as could be in the 1st half (which was a controlled scrimmage) It looked like a defensive struggle for the most part. HS moved the ball pretty good running the ball. Our starting QB did not play and the passing game was off as a result (back up QB did ok). Dale had the only score on a TD aided by a pass interference call against HS. They did move the ball against the HS defense to a degree.
2nd half after a short break:
2 quarters played as a game situation.
1st posession, HS moved the ball down the field in about 5 plays to score xtra point good Score 7-0.
Dale... 3 and out and punts to HS
HS .... 3 and out and punts to Dale
Dale,,,, 3 and out punts to HS
HS 3 and out punts to Dale
Dale... has decent field possession and on 3rd and long HS was flagged for pass interference. 1st and 10 in the red zone. Dale scores 3 plays later score 7-7
HS takes over on it's 20.. puts together another 80 yd drive and scores misses xpoint. Score
13-7
Dale... 3 and out.
HS takes the punt at the 50 yard line and drives down and scores, misses the xtra point
Score 19-7. As time ran out a small fight took place that was quickly brought under control. They all shook hands .... game over. Most of HS's offensive damage was on the ground. Backup QB did a good job though.

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
You've got that backwards HS had 2 td passes with Carter throwing over 150. NS got squat in that 1st half.

Didn't mix up a single word that my source at the event told me.

As stated previously, I'll watch HUDL to make up my mind.

Don't know what to tell you except I was there and I'm neither blind or stupid! Maybe your source has it backwards. Fact is, one of you does have it backwards. In the first half of that scrimmage, HS scored 3 times. 2 of the scoring drives were mixes of pass/run with td passes (one was about 30-35 yds, the other was 5-8 yds.) the 3rd score came on a drive that was all runs and HS scored from about 5 yds. out. North Stafford never scored in the first half, not even close. I saw N. Stafford scored once in the second half just before it was over, if they scored again before that, I missed it because we had gone to lunch because of the rain delay... I saw HS score once more in the 2nd half. I was told they scored twice. I missed one of those.

Last edited:
I watched Hylton and Henrico scrimmage yesterday. Henrico outscored Hylton 21-7.

It looked to be more of a defensive scrimmage in the beginning, both teams were trading possessions. Neither team was able to run the ball very effectively, no gashing runs, the RB's were being met at or around the line of scrimmage. I thought the first defensive fronts on both Henrico and Hylton were strong and showed they may be tough for teams to run on this year.

Hylton kind of scored out of nowhere on the first play of one of their possessions where the receiver caught a short pass and outraced the Henrico defense for around a 70 yard score, which was a really nice play. As the scrimmage went on Henrico later added touchdowns off a long pass down the sideline from around midfield, an interception of the Hylton backup QB that was returned for a score, and closing out another drive that had a mix of runs and passes with a touchdown. They were in Hylton territory at the end of the scrimmage looking for a fourth score but ran out of time.

What stood out to me the most was Henrico's pass attack. Their QB, who I overheard is only a sophomore, was getting enough time from his line to deliver accurate passes out to his receivers on intermediate routes. His touchdown pass down the sideline was on point too. Their receivers have good size, good hands, and were shedding tackles or making the first Hylton defender miss. Aside from a couple of big sacks, I thought their QB looked pretty comfortable and ran their offense well. Being that it was the first scrimmage, their passing game was clicking in good form, quite a bit of y.a.c. out of the receivers. It looked like Hylton pulled some guys early, I'm not sure exactly how much production was against their starters or backups, and vice versa didn't really keep track of who was coming in and out for Henrico.

Last edited:
I posted thoughts on the Louisa/Bird scrimmage on the 4A board. Bird is still the top dog to me until someone knocks them off.

I watched Hylton and Henrico scrimmage yesterday. Henrico outscored Hylton 21-7.

It looked to be more of a defensive scrimmage in the beginning, both teams were trading possessions. Neither team was able to run the ball very effectively, no gashing runs, the RB's were being met at or around the line of scrimmage. I thought the first defensive fronts on both Henrico and Hylton were strong and showed they may be tough for teams to run on this year.

Hylton kind of scored out of nowhere on the first play of one of their possessions where the receiver caught a short pass and outraced the Henrico defense for around a 70 yard score, which was a really nice play. As the scrimmage went on Henrico later added touchdowns off a long pass down the sideline from around midfield, an interception of the Hylton backup QB that was returned for a score, and closing out another drive that had a mix of runs and passes with a touchdown. They were in Hylton territory at the end of the scrimmage looking for a fourth score but ran out of time.

What stood out to me the most was Henrico's pass attack. Their QB, who I overheard is only a sophomore, was getting enough time from his line to deliver accurate passes out to his receivers on intermediate routes. His touchdown pass down the sideline was on point too. Their receivers have good size, good hands, and were shedding tackles or making the first Hylton defender miss. Aside from a couple of big sacks, I thought their QB looked pretty comfortable and ran their offense well. Being that it was the first scrimmage, their passing game was clicking in good form, quite a bit of y.a.c. out of the receivers. It looked like Hylton pulled some guys early, I'm not sure exactly how much production was against their starters or backups, and vice versa didn't really keep track of who was coming in and out for Henrico.

This is pretty impressive considering VP has Hylton showing up a sixth in 6a. I guess we will find out next week, as we have LC Bird and Henrico.

Good stuff there Gursky. Thanks.

At Glen Allen because Henrico has construction going on. Day and time still TBD.

Who else is scrimmaging this coming week? I'm interested in the Bird/Henrico scrimmage. let me know when and what time. Any of you can email me at moosecat2@verizon.net
I'd like to know any other interesting scrimmages this week. HSHS is done until we play Hermitage Friday 8-28

Out of our area, but Petersburg at Lake Taylor. Ouch! That could get ugly. LT should get a good look at their 2's and 3's, and 4's and 5's!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT