ADVERTISEMENT

Security at the gates.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
A couple of years ago, when we traveled to Thomas Dale, they refused to allow cowbells into the stadium. Well, since our primary booster club is called "The Cow Bell Boosters", this went over like a lead balloon.

Of course, they did it again this year. And, so did Monacan.

Someone was raising Caine about this and I stopped them. I said, "do you know how many people are killed with cow bells every year?"

If you don't count the dead in the Great Chicago Fire that Mrs. O'Leary's crazy "bell wearing" cow started, then the total is..., well exactly zero.

Get real, Chesterfield County. If cow bells were such a problem, don't you think that virtually every locality would bar them. Oh yeah, fingernail clippers, too. You could shank somebody with a weapon like that! Don't you know? But not a 3" long ignition key for a Toyota?

I know women with nails that could slice your head off with one fell swoop. Maybe we should have a nail length regulation? If they still wanted to get in, offer them the chance to trim their nails with the confiscated nail clippers.

What ever happened to common sense?

A couple of years ago, when we traveled to Thomas Dale, they refused to allow cowbells into the stadium. Well, since our primary booster club is called "The Cow Bell Boosters", this went over like a lead balloon.

Of course, they did it again this year. And, so did Monacan.

Someone was raising Caine about this and I stopped them. I said, "do you know how many people are killed with cow bells every year?"

If you don't count the dead in the Great Chicago Fire that Mrs. O'Leary's crazy "bell wearing" cow started, then the total is..., well exactly zero.

Get real, Chesterfield County. If cow bells were such a problem, don't you think that virtually every locality would bar them. Oh yeah, fingernail clippers, too. You could shank somebody with a weapon like that! Don't you know? But not a 3" long ignition key for a Toyota?

I know women with nails that could slice your head off with one fell swoop. Maybe we should have a nail length regulation? If they still wanted to get in, offer them the chance to trim their nails with the confiscated nail clippers.

What ever happened to common sense?

I understand your chagrin, however, artificial noise makers are frowned upon by the VHSL (I THINK!!!). I remember also reading a few years back that it was considered unsportsmanlike for the band to play while the opposing offense was under center. I had actually printed a copy of that out for the then band director at SHS, his reply was "they'll have to make us stop"...that didn't set well with me, personally. But I guess all is fair in love and war...right?

I don't know about security reasons for banning a cowbell, but I do know they annoy the hell out of anyone sitting nearby. That & other noisemakers. Nothing worse than having someone with an air-horn sitting behind you & using it when you least expect.

I don't know about security reasons for banning a cowbell, but I do know they annoy the hell out of anyone sitting nearby. That & other noisemakers. Nothing worse than having someone with an air-horn sitting behind you & using it when you least expect.
I can understand airhorns being banned but not cowbells. Some people drive me crazy with their choir antics at a football game, give me a break. Heck if Amherst went to an away game where cowbells were not allowed, most fans would be turned away. People need to go to a Mississippi State game, lol

Reactions: OCBoy
I understand your chagrin, however, artificial noise makers are frowned upon by the VHSL (I THINK!!!). I remember also reading a few years back that it was considered unsportsmanlike for the band to play while the opposing offense was under center. I had actually printed a copy of that out for the then band director at SHS, his reply was "they'll have to make us stop"...that didn't set well with me, personally. But I guess all is fair in love and war...right?
I know they are not allowed inside at a basketball game but not football

Reactions: gwb16
Agreed, but? There is no prohibition against noisemakers at football games by the VHSL. My wife hates the cowbell noise. So she carriers her ear plugs. Mind you, a little respect goes a long way. And too be honest, we have had cow bells in out stands for so long, that an informal "seating chart" has evolved. It's really uncanny how many fans sit in the same area of the bleachers whether at home or away. So yeah, it can be a problem, but not enough to make a rule. After all, we don't sit with the opposing side. If they don't want them on their side, no problem.

It hasn't always been like this, and it won't last forever, but our crowd is just a friendly, fun bunch of fans. We have our clowns that are always saying something to crack up the crowd, getting the crowd into the game, whatever. You see more hugs, hand shakes, and such than you would honestly imagine. One person gets up to go to the concession stand and they ask everyone around them if he can bring them something back. Doesn't matter if they know them, just what would you like? It's just old fashion fun. Is it perfect? No, but it's about as close as it ever gets.

So yeah, we enjoy our cow bells.

I recently checked with the most knowledgable officials on this forum. The band can play as loud and long as their little heart's desire. I'm like you gwb, I think a little respect is called for.

Agreed, but? There is no prohibition against noisemakers at football games by the VHSL. My wife hates the cowbell noise. So she carriers her ear plugs. Mind you, a little respect goes a long way. And too be honest, we have had cow bells in out stands for so long, that an informal "seating chart" has evolved. It's really uncanny how many fans sit in the same area of the bleachers whether at home or away. So yeah, it can be a problem, but not enough to make a rule. After all, we don't sit with the opposing side. If they don't want them on their side, no problem.

It hasn't always been like this, and it won't last forever, but our crowd is just a friendly, fun bunch of fans. We have our clowns that are always saying something to crack up the crowd, getting the crowd into the game, whatever. You see more hugs, hand shakes, and such than you would honestly imagine. One person gets up to go to the concession stand and they ask everyone around them if he can bring them something back. Doesn't matter if they know them, just what would you like? It's just old fashion fun. Is it perfect? No, but it's about as close as it ever gets.

So yeah, we enjoy our cow bells.

I recently checked with the most knowledgable officials on this forum. The band can play as loud and long as their little heart's desire. I'm like you gwb, I think a little respect is called for.
Sounds like Amherst fans, we are used to the Cowbells and most know where people sit. I am a cowbell user and if someone that I don't know sits in front of me, I will warn them ahead of time. Only once did someone move. Most of the time the same people sit in front of me use cowbells.

Sounds like Amherst fans, we are used to the Cowbells and most know where people sit. I am a cowbell user and if someone that I don't know sits in front of me, I will warn them ahead of time. Only once did someone move. Most of the time the same people sit in front of me use cowbells.
There are some bands that play the entire time no matter what and that is annoying, most have respect. Heritage in Lynchburg plays when the visitor team is snapping the ball. Not nice

Wiki, Wayne is telling the truth about assigned seats. I even make a 75 year old man sit on the same crack in the bleachers every home game. Love cowbells and cannons. Oh yeah.....

Hey, I didn't miss a tackle? Not my fault. It's you know who's fault. Every time we have played at Hanover and lost, guess who was there?

He is officially barred from all games everywhere, for the next 100 years.

And yeah Mike, he abused everybody. Sit here, sit there. A lot of good it did us.

Sounds like elder abuse to me Navy.
You hush too Mike. I would punt DP in his tail if it would lead to a Dinwiddie victory. Truthfully, i am overly superstitious. If my wife or one of my buddies misses a game we place a cushion were they sit. We call it the missing man formation. It seems to work. We have only lost 4 home games in five years Monacan, Hanover, Matoaca, Thomas Dale (2).

Last edited:
Reactions: mike salem
I know they are not allowed inside at a basketball game but not football
http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/pub-smanshp-state-events.pdf

One little nugget in there states:
"Some of our sites may have more restrictive rules regarding this policy. Local site restrictions will be enforced where required."

I searched NFHS in reference to bands playing, couldn't find an official position during a very brief search. I know I've seen it addressed somewhere, I'll dig a bit deeper when I have more time.

Some of those "unsportsmanshiplike" actions get PLOWED before the 1st quarter is over in some of the contests that I've been too. I won't name any names, but I've seen some student sections that would give the Cameron Crazies a run for their money.

There are some bands that play the entire time no matter what and that is annoying, most have respect. Heritage in Lynchburg plays when the visitor team is snapping the ball. Not nice
You guys haven't been to fairfax and Prince William counties then cause those teams have 150-175 student bands that will ring you out of the stadium. Colonial Forges band is unique they do a volume change with their band where they will play normal then when you get to the line the volume shoots up like 10 decibels it's really effective.

Reactions: VolNation85
Hey, I didn't miss a tackle? Not my fault. It's you know who's fault. Every time we have played at Hanover and lost, guess who was there?

He is officially barred from all games everywhere, for the next 100 years.

And yeah Mike, he abused everybody. Sit here, sit there. A lot of good it did us.
I will say of all the places I have been I enjoy the Dinwiddie announcer the most. He is fair and announces everything.

I hate the cowbells if I have to sit near them. On our home games, no problem, I know where not to sit. I've been to some packed road games where the only visitor side options were directly in front of the the cowbell moms. Yes, our own fans don't always show respect to their fellow fans. Such is life.

I don't think bands should play loudly when their opponent is on offense. The late Dean Smith would tell Tar Heel students (during the game) not to waive their arms to distract the opposing team's players at the free throw line. I try to take that approach...sometimes I fall short.

Reactions: Tom Potter
Our poor band tries hard, bless their hearts. But with probably about 25 members, they don't make enough noise to be a factor, regardless of when they play. As you can see, band is not big at Dinwiddie.

And welcome to the forum EHC.

Reactions: EHC87
I hate the cowbells if I have to sit near them. On our home games, no problem, I know where not to sit. I've been to some packed road games where the only visitor side options were directly in front of the the cowbell moms. Yes, our own fans don't always show respect to their fellow fans. Such is life.

I don't think bands should play loudly when their opponent is on offense. The late Dean Smith would tell Tar Heel students (during the game) not to waive their arms to distract the opposing team's players at the free throw line. I try to take that approach...sometimes I fall short.
You would not like an Amherst game then. At the state game against Sherando we handed out 2,000 thunder sticks and they make a lot noise. LU students have them almost every game

That is great. One of my good friends played for Dinwiddie the year they lost to Heritage. Great RB to play for the generals.

With respect to our PA announcer, he is a steady, deliberate announcer. He believes less is more. Just the facts. He has a strong steady voice that is just comfortable to hear. We have been blessed all these years, not only with him, but with the spotters that have been in the booth for many years. Bleeding Navy and I had the honor of assisting with the spotting for a couple of games this year. Just a wonderful experience to be permitted to be around such dedicated supporters of Dinwiddie's program.

Who was your friend that played at Dinwiddie?
OC, Chris Johnson was a good back. They ran the power I back then and he was the featured back. Ran for 1,300 yards plus that season. That team lost a close game to Henrico and then to Heritage 42-7 in the 5A State Championship. Several very good players on both sides of the ball. Kicker, Trey Burgess was unreal. Thanks for the reminder

You would not like an Amherst game then. At the state game against Sherando we handed out 2,000 thunder sticks and they make a lot noise. LU students have them almost every game

It might not have bothered me as long as the cowbells were not in my ear....I might not have articulated the proximity of said cowbells to our ears......literally 2 feet and being rung in our ears..we were jammed into a small section of visitor stands and there wasn't another option if we wanted to see the play on the field. I go to many NASCAR races but always have proper ear protection. I didn't have the forethought to bring ear plugs or headsets.

I am all for fans for making noise....just use a little common sense and not letting off an air horn or cowbell directly into someone else's ear.

With respect to our PA announcer, he is a steady, deliberate announcer. He believes less is more. Just the facts. He has a strong steady voice that is just comfortable to hear. We have been blessed all these years, not only with him, but with the spotters that have been in the booth for many years. Bleeding Navy and I had the honor of assisting with the spotting for a couple of games this year. Just a wonderful experience to be permitted to be around such dedicated supporters of Dinwiddie's program.

Sounds like a good announcer. Simple is often better....sometimes we end up hearing someone who is difficult to understand and it has nothing to do with the quality of the public address system. Sounds like the folks in Dinwiddie have a gem of an announcer. Always glad to have people, regardless of their ability, give back to the community with whatever talents they possess.

Sounds like a good announcer. Simple is often better....sometimes we end up hearing someone who is difficult to understand and it has nothing to do with the quality of the public address system. Sounds like the folks in Dinwiddie have a gem of an announcer. Always glad to have people, regardless of their ability, give back to the community with whatever talents they possess.
When Mr. Knott our anouncer ask the crowd to "please stand for the National Anthem in honor of the men and women stationed around world defending this Great Country the United States of America" the hair stands up on the back of my neck.

OC, Chris Johnson was a good back. They ran the power I back then and he was the featured back. Ran for 1,300 yards plus that season. That team lost a close game to Henrico and then to Heritage 42-7 in the 5A State Championship. Several very good players on both sides of the ball. Kicker, Trey Burgess was unreal. Thanks for the reminder
That's exactly who I'm talking about we have been friends for years.

Navy is a walking encyclopedia of football knowledge.

But he doesn't remember anything about my playing career. Oh wait, I didn't have a playing career.

But that's not totally true. I was a tackling dummy for one year on the JV team in 1969. So see, I did have a career. (Explains my irrational thought process)!

Navy is a walking encyclopedia of football knowledge.

But he doesn't remember anything about my playing career. Oh wait, I didn't have a playing career.

But that's not totally true. I was a tackling dummy for one year on the JV team in 1969. So see, I did have a career. (Explains my irrational thought process)!
You reminded me of something I had not thought of in years. I played Parks and Rec football for a few years (8 - 12 years old) and almost always the smallest guy, even though I was always the Middle Linebacker. In my last year (and barely 80 lbs soaking wet), we had punt return practices in which I was simply to catch the punt, run straight up the field with a blocker and 3 guys that were to tackle me. The "tackling dummy" as you said. One afternoon I asked the Coach if I had to run straight ahead and let them tackle me. He said no but that I had to stay within the cones. I said fine but in that case, the blocker wouldn't be necessary. He was startled a little but said OK. I played with the 3 would be tacklers for more than a minute before I jogged into the end zone. The Coachs had me do it again with 3 new tacklers. Same story. When they asked me why I never told them I could move like that, I said "you never asked". I was a dwarf compared to everyone else so I understood their thought process. I would get killed. So I finally played RB and MLB when I was 12. I didn't get killed. The extent of my Football career so I understand irrational thought processes.

Never went to a HS or College that had a Football team.

In the long ago(read: the 90s) when I was a boy I would spend my time at the game like all kids my age: on the hill at Salem Stadium. As the game wore on and I came back to my parents(who've been sitting in the same seats for 30 years now) I would scour the upper stands for discarded airhorns. Woe be to my parents when I would happen on one that wasn't depleted.

Simpler times to be sure.

For me, in the long ago, (read: the 60's), when I was a boy. Ouch, now that's sobering!!!

But I agree, I miss the simpler times too.

For me, in the long ago, (read: the 60's), when I was a boy. Ouch, now that's sobering!!!

But I agree, I miss the simpler times too.
Everything changes. In this age of technology, it changes much faster. Hell, I made a living on it. I loved fixing and taking care of these systems. It's how I retired early...........but I still have my standard phone in the kitchen. I still like occasionally writing Basic programs with my Commodore VIC 20. I have my little $30 a month flip phone (which was free). I hate texting. I rarely write or respond to e-mails anymore. I write personal Thank You notes and Christmas Cards in my own hand. I have no Social Media presence. The computer I use the most runs XP.

So you don't feel so old or alone DP, I was born in 1954.

Everything changes. In this age of technology, it changes much faster. Hell, I made a living on it. I loved fixing and taking care of these systems. It's how I retired early...........but I still have my standard phone in the kitchen. I still like occasionally writing Basic programs with my Commodore VIC 20. I have my little $30 a month flip phone (which was free). I hate texting. I rarely write or respond to e-mails anymore. I write personal Thank You notes and Christmas Cards in my own hand. I have no Social Media presence. The computer I use the most runs XP.

So you don't feel so old or alone DP, I was born in 1954.

Ah yes, me too, 54 was a good year!

I've pestered my Verizon cell phone rep for years to get me cell phone with a rotary dial.

How are your parents doing?

Ah yes, me too, 54 was a good year!

I've pestered my Verizon cell phone rep for years to get me cell phone with a rotary dial.

How are your parents doing?
Hell, I still have a phone from 1922 I took from a girls school in Manhattan when I replaced their system. Solid brass. When was the last time you picked up an 8 lb phone?

The rents are too long a story to go into. The last 5 months have not been good or easy. All I can say is "dignity", "quality of life" and love of a parent start to take on new meaning. You come to realize, there is an end for all of us. No exceptions. One's acceptance of this is part of a process.

Hell, I still have a phone from 1922 I took from a girls school in Manhattan when I replaced their system. Solid brass. When was the last time you picked up an 8 lb phone?

The rents are too long a story to go into. The last 5 months have not been good or easy. All I can say is "dignity", "quality of life" and love of a parent start to take on new meaning. You come to realize, there is an end for all of us. No exceptions. One's acceptance of this is part of a process.
As a person who receives care well before their time, all I can say is we appreciate the caregiver more than we can ever express. I don't know exactly what you are going through Shauntclair, but I have a pretty good idea. From someone on this end I appreciate what you are doing. I'm sure your parents do as well.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I am from 1951!!! A little older even. When I played HS football in New Jersey it was 9 games, no playoffs and all games were Saturday at 1:30 pm as no one had lights. Last game was the traditional Thanksgiving game at 10:30 am against your biggest rival. And in those days the fields froze after late October and it was frigid outside. Like some on here my wife was a 24/7 caregiver for her father until a few years ago when it became too much and he went into a veterans care facility. Last year at 97 the old wounded veteran of the 6th Armored Division of WW 2 passed away. Time does pass quickly! Best to all on this Thankgiving day!

Her father was truly part of the greatest generation. Tell her thank you for all the he did, and all that her family sacrificed. I'm thankful for her dad, and all like him, this day and every day!

Slow and steady is good. I used to put a big sign right over where I tape the rosters thay said, "TALK SLOWLY"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT