ADVERTISEMENT

Semifinal predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
My goodness OC... Why have the semi's at all lol. But if thats how you feel I can respect it!
I have seen all FINAL four teams left with two being on film and it's just my opinion on how it will go down. Dinwiddie is just too athletic for Lafayette IMO and Salem has too many weapons for dominion

OCBoy, assuming you are correct, what is your predicted score and winner in the championship game?

I like Dinwiddie and Salem. Dinwiddie will roll the next two weeks. Their game with Lake Taylor was the state championship game. To bad it had to be play in the quarters instead of the finals.

I like Dinwiddie and Salem. Dinwiddie will roll the next two weeks. Their game with Lake Taylor was the state championship game. To bad it had to be play in the quarters instead of the finals.
Heard this talk from Eastern fans before. I thought maybe it would end after last year

Reactions: SalemPride
It was a war last night. Forget all the other crap going on off the field, this was two great teams giving 100%. I saw as much or more sportsmanship on the field between these two teams as I've seen in any game this year. They would just level each other, then reach down and help one another up, usually accompained by a pat on the helmet or back. Both teams deserve respect for the quality of the effort and performance they gave.

I'm looking forward to a similar contest this Saturday. May the best team win.

Reactions: 1Gensfan and OCBoy
Neither will be blowouts. Heck...Dominion just beat Amherst AND Woodgrove (may I remind you Amherst beat Salem). Lafayette is UNDEFEATED as well and there's a reason for it. Gosh, I doubt either will be bigger than 14.

Reactions: VolNation85
Heard this talk from Eastern fans before. I thought maybe it would end after last year
Heard what? East is better? Does that bother you southbottom and if it doesnt why comment. Think about it. Prep posters hear how great Salem is every freaking day, what color underwear the team is wearing and who the custodian is hitting on. It doesnt mean a thing. Words have never won a single game.

Three years three different champions. If you can play it doesnt matter where you are from. Just win next and then the winners of the east and west can debate it all week long.

Heard it over and over for two years when the realignment took place. I Said that geography didn't matter then and I was told that I was crazy, the western teams were just always going to blown out. The best team usually wins and that could come from the east or west. Last year I was proven right As to the color of our underwear it's maroon with seven white state championship rings emblazoned on them.

Reactions: salemfan32
The mistake some of you make is the assumption that because there are fewer teams that there will be closer games by default. It simply doesn't work that way. How many BCS bowls, Super Bowls, World Series, NBA championships have you seen where one team is simply outmatched and gets blown out, swept, etc.? They're too many to even count.

That doesn't mean I think Salem beats Dominion by 35689 points but it also doesn't mean the game has to end 17-16 or something either. I don't know why so many of you struggle with this concept and then immediately liken any such prediction where the MOV is over like 10 as some kind of disrespect for the other team. The fact it's the Western or Eastern finals isn't relevant to deciding who beats who and by how much.

I made that part bold because I'm like 95% sure someone will finish reading the first paragraph and immediately hit reply to post some stupid comment without finishing the rest of my post.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Gentlemen... Is it really a surprise that those of on the east think the east is stronger and those of you on the west think the west is stronger?!?! It's kind of human nature. The west has the belt right now and it's theirs until its taken. Just know Dinwiddie and Lafayette are foaming at the mouth right now

Gentlemen... Is it really a surprise that those of on the east think the east is stronger and those of you on the west think the west is stronger?!?! It's kind of human nature. The west has the belt right now and it's theirs until its taken. Just know Dinwiddie and Lafayette are foaming at the mouth right now
I don't think but a few teams from the East are better than the west (LT/Dinwiddie) the rest of the teams could possibly be in a dog fight or just straight up get their tails beat by teams in the west. It all depends on what year it is and who's dominant. I think it has leveled out starting last year with Salem winning it. The East could very well snatch it back this year

Some years the east will have the state champion some years the West. Neither geographical region will have a monopoly. To begin with the Division is an arbitrary line with little or no meaning. So why some want to stir the pot with this silly argument is beyond me. Dinwiddie is the favorite because they have a great program and team, not because they are from the east. Next year it might be Woodgrove or Amherst. So in closing enough of the where I live is better than where you live crap

k. Pope is all ima say....#81 and #3 watch out
I would expect that every team at this stage has "watch out" players or they would be in the stands watching. Lafayette had VT recruit Grimsley and a few others to watch for.

Lafayette, true Dinwiddie fans respect your team and program. Everybody left is here for a reason and too be honest there is several good teams sitting it out, because of match ups.

If you like playing the underdog role, so be it. Your team is 13-0. Underdog no way. Your team has already taken the next step.

I am not sure who annointed Dinwiddie the State Champion, but it was not a Navy Nation fan. Do we believe? Sure do, but there is a ton of football to be played. You are only as good as your last win.

Right now there are four teams who think they are going to don the belt and are going to lay it all out for their shot at glory.

Good luck to all. Going to be a long, but fun week. See you on Saturday and may the best teams win.

Heard what? East is better? Does that bother you southbottom and if it doesnt why comment. Think about it. Prep posters hear how great Salem is every freaking day, what color underwear the team is wearing and who the custodian is hitting on. It doesnt mean a thing. Words have never won a single game.

Three years three different champions. If you can play it doesnt matter where you are from. Just win next and then the winners of the east and west can debate it all week long.
I hardly wear undergarments and when I do it is usually something unusual.

Too funny free. I was actually agreeing with Southbottom. I was trying to say both sides are guilty of talking smack. The east/west thing is stale and old. No offense to Dominion or Lafayette, but I do want to see my Generals lock horns with Salem. Its an x and o thing with me. Nothing personal against Salem. I grew up in Roanoke and Salem was down when I was in high school, so I dont hold any grudges. Hell, it will allow for some more good ribbing between Mike Salem and the boys who have befriended him.

Both gotta win next week to make it happen though.

Lafayette vs Dinwiddie is gonna tell us a whole lot about both teams. 2 undefeated's going at it and the stakes couldn't be higher.

Dinwiddie has played a tough schedule and has blown out several quality teams. Ex Mon and Hopewell. A lot of posters on this board said they hadn't played anybody. Just bc you are blowing teams out doesn't mean you are not playing anybody. Sometimes you just have a special team. Motoaca, Meadowbrook, Petersburg etc if I dropped those teams in another district somewhere they might win 7 or 8 games. You add in the win over a tough 6A Thomas Dale team and then last weeks win over LT they may have played the hardest schedule in 4A. Last Friday Dinwiddie may have had a bit of a wake up call. They made a lot of uncharacteristic mistakes. Don't look for that again.

As for Lafayette... its true they have had the easiest path but they are undefeated and just beat a fellow undefeated handily. They've got some athletes and are obviously well coached.

Laf needs to do like Lake Taylor did and get Dinwiddie in a dog fight. A track meet ain't gonna work. You've got to out physical Dinwiddie. Dinwiddie has a solid defense but you can get some points on the board against them. The question is going to be can Lafayette stop the Dinwiddie offense.

When is someone gonna post that Dinwiddie vs Lafayette thread or did I miss it?

Lafayette vs Dinwiddie is gonna tell us a whole lot about both teams. 2 undefeated's going at it and the stakes couldn't be higher.

Dinwiddie has played a tough schedule and has blown out several quality teams. Ex Mon and Hopewell. A lot of posters on this board said they hadn't played anybody. Just bc you are blowing teams out doesn't mean you are not playing anybody. Sometimes you just have a special team. Motoaca, Meadowbrook, Petersburg etc if I dropped those teams in another district somewhere they might win 7 or 8 games. You add in the win over a tough 6A Thomas Dale team and then last weeks win over LT they may have played the hardest schedule in 4A. Last Friday Dinwiddie may have had a bit of a wake up call. They made a lot of uncharacteristic mistakes. Don't look for that again.

As for Lafayette... its true they have had the easiest path but they are undefeated and just beat a fellow undefeated handily. They've got some athletes and are obviously well coached.

Laf needs to do like Lake Taylor did and get Dinwiddie in a dog fight. A track meet ain't gonna work. You've got to out physical Dinwiddie. Dinwiddie has a solid defense but you can get some points on the board against them. The question is going to be can Lafayette stop the Dinwiddie offense.

When is someone gonna post that Dinwiddie vs Lafayette thread or did I miss it?
Just posted one....LETS GO COUNTRY BOYS!!

Reactions: mbonape1
Not a prediction, but I'd love to see a rematch of the 1998 state championship with Salem and Lafayette. It'd basically be a home game for the Rams, so a big challenge for the Spartans.

I was at that game, numb3rs! That year was Lafayette's coming out party...at the time, I wasn't aware of Salem's history and tradition, so I figured the Rams were going to beat them like they had everyone else. Well, from the beginning you could see that Lafayette's running game was struggling w/the size and physicality of Salem...they looked huge from the sideline! Unfortunately, Lafayette was basically one dimensional, as they didn't pass much...as a result, the Rams lost 28-18, I believe, but at least the game was fairly competitive. A rematch in Williamsburg would be amazing...could Lafayette be destined to compete for a state championship in their home town as Coach Linn's last hurrah? We'll see....

I was at that game, numb3rs! That year was Lafayette's coming out party...at the time, I wasn't aware of Salem's history and tradition, so I figured the Rams were going to beat them like they had everyone else. Well, from the beginning you could see that Lafayette's running game was struggling w/the size and physicality of Salem...they looked huge from the sideline! Unfortunately, Lafayette was basically one dimensional, as they didn't pass much...as a result, the Rams lost 28-18, I believe, but at least the game was fairly competitive. A rematch in Williamsburg would be amazing...could Lafayette be destined to compete for a state championship in their home town as Coach Linn's last hurrah? We'll see....

Yeah , I was there too at Bridgewater. Salem was huge and the band was almost as big as the number of Lafayette fans. I saw Lafayette getting intimidated in the first half and getting back to speed in the 2nd half. Just not enough time to catch up.

Dinwiddie 42 - Lafayette 14
Salem 28 - Dominion 21

FINAL

Dinwiddie 28 Salem 14

I was at the 1998 game too. I had confidence in the Spartans, who had only given up 45 points all season, but knew that Lafayette presented a huge challenge. I also could never be completely confident after the shock of Salem's 1991 loss to Spotsylvania.

My recollection was that Lafayette came out passing on their first drive and had Salem on their heels before the defense stiffened and forced a FG. By halftime, it looked like Salem might blow the doors off of Lafayette, but they made a game of it in the second half.

1996 was about finally getting over the hump for Salem. 1998 was about establishing themselves as one of the top programs in Virginia. A victory over a Lafayette team that would've won the state championship in almost any other season helped cement that status. I'm glad that the Rams got a state championship in 2001, though I wish it hadn't come at the expense of Pulaski County.

We'll see if the Spartans and Rams can arrange a sequel. I would say that the Lafayette players would be primed for revenge, but none were born the last time these two teams met (!).

Actually, Lafayette, that game was at Turner Ashby High School, but you were close in terms of proximity to Bridgewater...good to see that you were a fan back when the program turned for the better!

If Lafayette came out passing, numb3rs, they might have figured it would be tough running against the Salem defense...that alone is saying a lot, 'cause the Rams had a damn good back that gained over 2,000 yards while sitting out much of the second half in games during the regular season.

I'm definitely biased, but I truly believe that Lafayette would have beaten MV in the championship game two years ago if the qb hadn't gotten hurt...I know that was 3A, but they might have been able to hold their own against the elite 4A teams that year.

Good sensible post by you LHS. And welcome aboard to the forum. Glad to have you.

Thanks, DinwiddieProud! I know this is off topic, but I wanted to mention that my Dad grew up in Jarratt and they played against Dinwiddie back in the day...not football, but basketball and baseball. Also, my uncle married a Barnes from Dinwiddie...we've even fished a pond or two there! Anyway, it's fun to reminisce....

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Dinwiddie 38 Lafayette 21
Salem 31 Dominion 21

I think Dinwiddie an Salem are the better teams, but again, nothing is ever a given when the kids step on the field.

I think it can only help Lafayette in the long run having to face the tough competition they have faced in the playoffs in recent years. Facing these powerhouses will show you where you are lacking, and where you need to improve to be able to compete with these teams. Don't think they will be able to get it done against this Dinwiddie team, but I'm hoping they compete well, and put up a good showing. I sometimes think the Rams don't get as much credit and respect as they deserve. It's not easy winning as many games as they have the last several years...and it's no shame in losing to the teams they have lost to in the playoffs in recent years. Last year my Courtland Cougars had a very good team with their 3 senior RB's, and were a very respected team...yet they were simply outmanned by a better team in the playoffs. They didn't get disrespected for it, simply a good team getting beat by a better team. Lafayette should get that same respect...even if they lose this game. After all, is losing to this years Dinwiddie team something for any team to be ashamed of...I think not.

I think Salem is the better team, as they are always just so fundamentally sound. They almost remind me of the Patriots of the NFL as they are always so well prepared. Just as the Pats always have a good game plan to take away what their opponent does best, I think Salem will have a good game plan, and play consistent enough to 'contain' McCants...notice I said 'contain', not 'stop'. I think if they can simply contain him, they will have enough to win the game. But, if they have trouble with him, and he goes off on Salem the way Vince Young went off on USC in the 2006 Rose Bowl, then they could be in trouble. But I just can't see that Salem team letting him beat them that way...he may get his big plays in, I just don't think he'll make enough to knock off the Spartans.

That's my opinion anyway...one that may end up being totally wrong. But that's why they play the games folks.

Last edited:
Dinwiddie 35 Lafayette 7
Salem 42 Dominion 7
I saw Salem last week v. WB. Have not seen Dominion. But IMHO, Salem is nowhere near the team as are EV, Chancellor or even Sherando. I am not sure Salem was better than Orange County. I am basing this on one game so I could be way off base but I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT