ADVERTISEMENT

Semifinal predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we go...

vllK7.gif

Last edited:
I saw Salem last week v. WB. Have not seen Dominion. But IMHO, Salem is nowhere near the team as are EV, Chancellor or even Sherando. I am not sure Salem was better than Orange County. I am basing this on one game so I could be way off base but I don't think so.
Now that's what I call comedy! I needed that laugh on a tough Wednesday at work.

I saw Salem last week v. WB. Have not seen Dominion. But IMHO, Salem is nowhere near the team as are EV, Chancellor or even Sherando. I am not sure Salem was better than Orange County. I am basing this on one game so I could be way off base but I don't think so.
Let's see Millbrook beat Sherando Salem 59. Millbrook 14. (42-7 half). Your opinion Salem not better than Sherando-------you are a unique analyst of high school football.

Have you heard of the show name that tune? Well if Salem played Orange we would have to change the name to name that score.

Reactions: SalemPride
Calling you "way off base" would be an understatement. That is maybe the poorest evaluation I have ever seen.

Dinwiddie 38 Lafayette 21
Salem 31 Dominion 21

I think Dinwiddie an Salem are the better teams, but again, nothing is ever a given when the kids step on the field.

I think it can only help Lafayette in the long run having to face the tough competition they have faced in the playoffs in recent years. Facing these powerhouses will show you where you are lacking, and where you need to improve to be able to compete with these teams. Don't think they will be able to get it done against this Dinwiddie team, but I'm hoping they compete well, and put up a good showing. I sometimes think the Rams don't get as much credit and respect as they deserve. It's not easy winning as many games as they have the last several years...and it's no shame in losing to the teams they have lost to in the playoffs in recent years. Last year my Courtland Cougars had a very good team with their 3 senior RB's, and were a very respected team...yet they were simply outmanned by a better team in the playoffs. They didn't get disrespected for it, simply a good team getting beat by a better team. Lafayette should get that same respect...even if they lose this game. After all, is losing to this years Dinwiddie team something for any team to be ashamed of...I think not.

I think Salem is the better team, as they are always just so fundamentally sound. They almost remind me of the Patriots of the NFL as they are always so well prepared. Just as the Pats always have a good game plan to take away what their opponent does best, I think Salem will have a good game plan, and play consistent enough to 'contain' McCants...notice I said 'contain', not 'stop'. I think if they can simply contain him, they will have enough to win the game. But, if they have trouble with him, and he goes off on Salem the way Vince Young went off on USC in the 2006 Rose Bowl, then they could be in trouble. But I just can't see that Salem team letting him beat them that way...he may get his big plays in, I just don't think he'll make enough to knock off the Spartans.

That's my opinion anyway...one that may end up being totally wrong. But that's why they play the games folks.
Excellent post raw meat. I was just explaining to a Hopewell fan about my apprehension regarding the Lafayette and Dinwiddie game. Anything can happen.

Your point about Lafeyette getting better even in a loss is so relevant to this game. After winning the 2013 State Championship the Generals were flying high. In 2014, they had a good season, but got pasted by LT 42-14 in the second round. LT went on to beat Salem in the finals. In 2013 a majority of our key players were on our JV team and to see what had been accomplished and lose handily the next season and again in 2015 was a wake up call. This group knew what it took to win it all, but needed butt bustings and maturity to bring it all together this season. This is the prime reason most of the Dinwiddie fans believe its our year.

Salem is another example. They were beaten soundly by LT in 2014 and turned those lumps into a 2015 Championship season.

Its not difficult to make the playoffs consistently now days, but to be a final four competitor you have to totally buy in, commit and grind.

Will Salem get their two peat (since realignment), will Dinwiddie get their second or will Lafayette or Dominion or both crash the party? Good luck to all four teams.

To each his own I guess, but Salem looked average...they played average. But in hindsight, maybe Byrd was pretty decent after all and made them look pedestrian.

Salem might well win the state, but they will not if they play like they did against Byrd.

You homers have incredibly thin skin. I base what I say off what I see, not what has happened in the past. If you think Salem looked like a state champ last Friday night, I know a good optometrist in Culpeper. His name is Dr. Elias and accepts most insurance plans.

Last edited:
Too each his own I guess, but Salem looked average...they played average. But in hindsight, maybe Byrd was pretty decent after all and made them look pedestrian.

Salem might well win the state, but they will not if they play like they did against Byrd.

You homers have incredibly thin skin. But after this weekend, it will not matter until next season.

You have a bad opinion backed by nothing based in reality. Byrd is playing in the West finals as an undefeated team if Salem isn't on the schedule. They also have a long history as a Salem rival and a coach who's been there for decades who knows how Salem plays, it's not the same as playing someone in the POs you never see otherwise and so teams have no real time to learn tendencies and patterns of other teams.

And trying to play off a bad opinion as Salem fans can't take criticism is ridiculous. I could make a post about LT, Dinwiddie, Lafayette, EV, Amherst, etc. and say their team isn't as good as 6-4 (Sherando's record) or 6-5 (Orange County's record) teams and get the same reaction.

Last edited:
I think Marshall is saying what I said about Bird's team and the 2015 Courtland team. That particular night he just wasn't impressed. If that discredits his football knowledge then my knowledge has been discredited for a long time. Personally I don't really get a thrill out of watching Salem either. No knock against their football team. They're a top 5 program in the state in all classifications year in and year out. Their style of play is rather boring IMHO. Run, run, maybe throw a play action a couple times and control T.O.P. They're well coached and they breed winners. They laid a hurting on my GW boys and I have but respect for their program. Im not going to say, Salem's playing LB or Byrd tonight, let's make a special trip to go though. I'm sure I'll get back lash but that's just me.

I think Marshall is saying what I said about Bird's team and the 2015 Courtland team. That particular night he just wasn't impressed. If that discredits his football knowledge then my knowledge has been discredited for a long time. Personally I don't really get a thrill out of watching Salem either. No knock against their football team. They're a top 5 program in the state in all classifications year in and year out. Their style of play is rather boring IMHO. Run, run, maybe throw a play action a couple times and control T.O.P. They're well coached and they breed winners. They laid a hurting on my GW boys and I have but respect for their program. Im not going to say, Salem's playing LB or Byrd tonight, let's make a special trip to go though. I'm sure I'll get back lash but that's just me.
I don't think you will get backlash for an opinion based on logic... at least you shouldn't.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
You guys really should get out more then because you must go to the alternate reality Salem games where it's still 1995 and 3 yards and a cloud is still the preferred style of play. Salem's scored at least 500 points a season (a 43ppg average ) over the last 4 years, by leaps and bounds the most explosive time on offense in Salem's history. Games are regularly over by halftime and PO games routinely hit 35-40+ ppg. By and large they are executing the power run game at an extremely high level and more efficient than many other offenses designed to put up more points.

If you still think Salem is all about TOP battles and grinding out small wins well, sorry, you have paid attention very little in recent years. Mags piles on as many points as he can in the first half these days, routinely chucking the ball down field up big and treating the 2 minute offense seriously.

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
Nevermind, I saw the original post. Marshall-Dillon said a few posts ago that he has not seen Dominion play but then he practically guarantees a win against Salem... that is a bit strange.

Here is the thing, a lot of teams have good regular seasons and the show up and get exposed in the playoffs. I could understand you believing your evaluations (somewhat) in that type of situation (Team with soft schedule that has never proven itself in the playoffs) but you are talking the defending state champions playing in their fourth straight semi-final game trying to go to a third straight championship game appearance. No "average" teams make it this far in the playoffs.

I don't care if someone thinks Salem looked "average" beating Byrd but trying to use that to justify them being worse than 4-5 loss teams is poor logic. That's like if you saw the state title game last year and just went "eh, I guess they're OK" because they won in OT not by 45. Maybe he knows a 4 loss 5A team from last season that just would have wiped the floor with Salem.

The edit was to add Dr. Elias' contact information for those with myopic views! I stand behind what I post. When I am wrong, I don't run and hide.

Also, basing my opinion on WHAT I SAW WITH MY OWN EYES is illogical? Really? You like to use hypotheticals which will not happen...I base my conclusions on what I see firsthand. Salem is mediocre, at least they were last Friday night. Perform like that this week and I doubt you advance. IMHO, after seeing both teams play, a performance like that against Orange Co and you would lose. The match ups would not be favorable for Salem in that game.

Maybe I just caught Salem on a very bad night. Maybe not.

I like how your entire assumption, including the one where Salem loses to 6-5 Orange County, is based on how Salem played the #2 team in 4A West.

*** Most teams have a harder time beating 11-1 teams than they do 6-5 teams because one team is 11-1 and the other is 6-5 ***

My guess, and it's only a guess, is if Salem played well enough to beat an 11-1 team they would probably beat the 6-5 team. But hey, I didn't SEE ORANGE COUNTY WITH MY OWN TWO EYES so what do I know about one team being 12-1 and in the state semis and the other being 6-5, winless in the POs, and incapable of beating more than 1 team all year with a winning record.

Also for the record just because you watched something happen doesn't mean your opinion on something else was formed from sound logic. That's not how logic works at all.

Also nobody here was talking about Salem winning state yet, either. Not sure why you keep trying to harp on a game Salem isn't even in right now.

Last edited:
The edit was to add Dr. Elias' contact information for those with myopic views! I stand behind what I post. When I am wrong, I don't run and hide.

Also, basing my opinion on WHAT I SAW WITH MY OWN EYES is illogical? Really? You like to use hypotheticals which will not happen...I base my conclusions on what I see firsthand. Salem is mediocre, at least they were last Friday night. Perform like that this week and I doubt you advance. IMHO, after seeing both teams play, a performance like that against Orange Co and you would lose. The match ups would not be favorable for Salem in that game.

Maybe I just caught Salem on a very bad night. Maybe not.
Now you are just lying. You deleted this: "But after this weekend, it will not matter until next season"... that was following your line about homers. That is the place where you are essentially picking a team to win that you have not seen at all.

If Salem is mediocre (Another very poor choice of words) that means Byrd is mediocre as well. Even people that hate those teams with a passion would not say that. Orange county? If Salem played their worst game of the season, they would obliterate Orange and probably have a running clock in the first half. That is a laughable comparison.

I'm as far off from a Salem homer as it gets. I regularly call out the Salem Homers for thin skin, taking offense to everything and ridiculous predictions that they make. Shoot, I didn't even pick them to win the state championship. Your post(s) have just been absurd and that is why I am still here talking about it.

I think the problem with Marshall he's been hanging around C'ville too long watching what he thought was good football from teams like Orange, Charlottesville, and Western Alternate. Give us all a break Marshall, if you think those teams are the elite and Salem is not, there's nothing else we need to hear from you. Bet you think Alabama is average also since they play defense, control the ball, and run between the tackles. ( I'm not saying Salem is Alabama----talking about style of play)

I watched Ohio St. struggle against Michigan last week in their win. What I saw WITH MY OWN EYES was a mediocre team that IMHO wouldn't beat GT, WF, Texas or Miami.
Sound about right to you Marshall?

But according to some we must respect all opinions no matter how ludicrous. So I respect Marshalls ludicrous, ridiculous, poposterous, insane, ignorant, dumb, clueless, and absurd opinion.

It should not be a surprise that there was a post such as Marshall's at this point in the season. Hasn't this happened virtually every year since VA Preps went live? Someone, usually during the playoffs, makes an evaluative comment on Salem (and a good many other teams for that matter) based on the infamous "eye test" or video (which was probably a hudl clip or news highlight). The comment usually includes a phrase like "nothing special" or "average at best". It also usually is followed with a prediction that they will lose in the next game or at least when they play a "really good" team. Heck, some surmised that the Millbrook match-up would be a close one because of their style of play and their athletes that were ready to weave through that antiquated Spartan defense. All Salem did was show up and obliterate Millbrook with the run, with the pass, with special teams, and also that antiquated defense, which stifled any semblance of athleticism from the Pioneers. Then they played a solid, although not perfect, game against Byrd and shut down a rushing attack (for the second time this season) that had ran through and over everyone else. I can remember similar comments being made a variety of other times about Salem squads. In '99, there was no way they could even keep it close against Park View's speed and strength. The game would be over at halftime against the elite Amherst '06 and '07 teams. Of course, there was also last year, when Salem would have to learn its lesson again that it wasn't ready for the LT's of the football world (despite knocking off two undefeated teams in dominant fashion the weeks prior).

I did not grow up a Salem fan. In fact, as a Northside player, there was no one I wanted to beat more than Salem. I can tell you too, that I also failed the "eye test" on Salem more than once. We had teams with multiple D1 prospects (especially '94) that got slapped around with what seemed like a far more inferior Salem team than what we put on the field. Salem is not fancy. They don't have a ton of speed and athletes. You're not going to see an amazingly deep playbook or bag of tricks. However, you will see execution, execution, and more execution. They are coached and move as one organism. Yes, every squad preaches teamwork, but Salem breathes it. The coaches are superb and will figure out ways to negate their weaknesses and emphasize their strengths. Honestly, I don't care what stats on paper show or videos reveal, I pretty much count on them as state contenders every year. For me, regardless of offensive or defensive style, the fun in watching Salem is seeing that next coaching move that stumps their opponent, watching them gang tackle because they're playing assignment football, and finally, as they did last Friday night, watching them orchestrate a game-winning drive by executing almost to perfection and having a high school kid define the term "clutch".

I can only speak for My thoughts on SHerando, and the answer is NO. Sherando is not better than Salem this year. IMO Niether are EV or Chancellor. Not to far off but not nearly close enough to change the my opinion. The West is just not that strong this year , but Salem is clearly the best team left. But who cares about that now, it's all about who is in, not who is out. All these teams are out, Sherando chancellor , and EV. and Salem deserves to be there , for at least one more game. Dinwiddie will be much tougher to beat this year , than LT was when Salem beat them.

I think the problem with Marshall he's been hanging around C'ville too long watching what he thought was good football from teams like Orange, Charlottesville, and Western Alternate. Give us all a break Marshall, if you think those teams are the elite and Salem is not, there's nothing else we need to hear from you. Bet you think Alabama is average also since they play defense, control the ball, and run between the tackles. ( I'm not saying Salem is Alabama----talking about style of play)
You are quite mistaken. I am an Eastern View fan. And now a Madison Co. fan as well. I could not care less who wins the 4A now that EV is out. But from what I saw with my own eyes, Salem did not play like a contender. I would also say that Byrd did not look like a contender. What I surmise from that is that teams from that area are very good against teams from that area. Maybe other areas are better this year. Perish the thought.

Others may disagree so I accept southbottoms "ludicrous, ridiculous, poposterous [sic], insane, ignorant, dumb, clueless, and absurd opinion". Not sure where you get the Charlottesville connection. I guess you are still reeling from someone not picking Salem?

I still get a kick out of some of you admitting that you have not seen a team but KNOW with no doubt that Salem would thrash them. That is pretty awesome right there. I guess matchups and schemes matter not. You boys are need to take off the old letterman's sweater and get out more often.

And I am far from an expert on football. (yeah, I know what you will say to that so save the keystrokes). As I have said more than once, I could not coach my way out of a wet paper bag as far as football goes. But I can see talent and skill. I know speed when I see it. I am sure most on here can.

Also, Dr. Elias is next door to a proctologist. You get some cream for that butt hurt while waiting on your new specs.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I can only speak for My thoughts on SHerando, and the answer is NO. Sherando is not better than Salem this year. IMO Niether are EV or Chancellor. Not to far off but not nearly close enough to change the my opinion. The West is just not that strong this year , but Salem is clearly the best team left. But who cares about that now, it's all about who is in, not who is out. All these teams are out, Sherando chancellor , and EV. and Salem deserves to be there , for at least one more game. Dinwiddie will be much tougher to beat this year , than LT was when Salem beat them.
I'll admit that Sherando may have been a bit of a stretch. But after what I saw in Vinton Friday night, Salem is not on par with EV or Chancellor. And I seriously think OC would cause matchup problems for them. Like I said, maybe it was just a bad night for them.

So Sherando had EV tied till late in the fourth and lost by a touchdown, and you think Salem is not as good ás EV? No offense , but I will SMH on the one. I don't know Chancellor as well as EV , but neither Sherando or EV IMO were state caliber semi final type teams. I would know , Sherando has been there many times and lost the title game. And those teams that got there were way better than any team I saw Sherando play this year.

Reactions: OCBoy
Marshall you don't know s--t about football. But, you're like many who try to evaluate something that they know nothing about. If a team is not scoring 50 points a game with a spread two hand touch philosophy you don't think they look good. You probably really enjoy the NFL all star game and think that's real football since it has so many athletes on the field. In short Marshall, you, when it comes to football, are a walking talking joke.
That's taking it overboard Southbottom, Marshall wasn't being disrespectful.

Reactions: salemfan32
Marshall you don't know s--t about football. But, you're like many who try to evaluate something that they know nothing about. If a team is not scoring 50 points a game with a spread two hand touch philosophy you don't think they look good. You probably really enjoy the NFL all star game and think that's real football since it has so many athletes on the field. In short Marshall, you, when it comes to football, are a walking talking joke.

Why Ed..er sothbottumU...does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know southbottom, if I thought you weren't my friend... I just don't think I could bear it!

In other words, I'll be your Huckleberry!

@southbottomU You losing your temper and spouting off at Marshall accomplishes what? If it was making yourself look like a jerk yet again, mission accomplished.
I deleted post. Came out a little harsher than I intended. Can't stand outright ignorance. As to looking like a jerk, my self worth is not wrapped up in what others think of me on this message board. Don't care.

So Sherando had EV tied till late in the fourth and lost by a touchdown, and you think Salem is not as good ás EV? No offense , but I will SMH on the one. I don't know Chancellor as well as EV , but neither Sherando or EV IMO were state caliber semi final type teams. I would know , Sherando has been there many times and lost the title game. And those teams that got there were way better than any team I saw Sherando play this year.
All true but I think from what I saw, EV and definitely Chancellor match up very well v. Salem. Just like I think Sherando match up well v. EV. Salem had one kid who appeared to be very quick (#21 or 24). Overall though, their team speed appeared a step behind.

Last edited:
I deleted post. Came out a little harsher than I intended. Can't stand outright ignorance. As to looking like a jerk, my self worth is not wrapped up in what others think of me on this message board. Don't care.
You need help man. You're so disrespectful to people and you think that's okay and justification because "you're angry". Grow up dude.

Thanks, DinwiddieProud! I know this is off topic, but I wanted to mention that my Dad grew up in Jarratt and they played against Dinwiddie back in the day...not football, but basketball and baseball. Also, my uncle married a Barnes from Dinwiddie...we've even fished a pond or two there! Anyway, it's fun to reminisce....

Are you going to be at the game Saturday?

You need help man. You're so disrespectful to people and you think that's okay and justification because "you're angry". Grow up dude.
Hey man, no worries with this southbottomu guy. Like my grandpa used to say, "Pay no mind to loudmouths. When push comes to shove, they crumble like a saltine". I expect that is true in this case.

Sorry, but I will respect who I choose, I will not respect people I believe don't deserve it. As to you Danville, you still have a ways to go. As to growing up , well maybe if we were face to face you might think twice before saying that, but since that will probably never happen say what you want. I don't value your opinion anyway.

Hey man, no worries with this southbottomu guy. Like my grandpa used to say, "Pay no mind to loudmouths. When push comes to shove, they crumble like a saltine". I expect that is true in this case.
True words my brother. Just don't care for bullies. Just hit the ignore button and keep it moving.

well maybe if we were face to face you might think twice before saying that, but since that will probably never happen say what you want.

I'll be your Huckleberry. I always prefer that close, personal interaction to cyber space. Nothing gets lost in translation that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT