ADVERTISEMENT

Semifinal predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey man, no worries with this southbottomu guy. Like my grandpa used to say, "Pay no mind to loudmouths. When push comes to shove, they crumble like a saltine". I expect that is true in this case.
Awfully brave on a message board Sonny, you know a man needs to know his limitations. We will never meet, so go ahead and display all that false bravado you like.

I am full of a lot of things that I would be MORE than willing to share on a personal basis. I have a sleeve of saltines that need attention. You are more than welcome to assist, if you like.

You are quite mistaken. I am an Eastern View fan. And now a Madison Co. fan as well. I could not care less who wins the 4A now that EV is out. But from what I saw with my own eyes, Salem did not play like a contender. I would also say that Byrd did not look like a contender. What I surmise from that is that teams from that area are very good against teams from that area. Maybe other areas are better this year. Perish the thought.

Others may disagree so I accept southbottoms "ludicrous, ridiculous, poposterous [sic], insane, ignorant, dumb, clueless, and absurd opinion". Not sure where you get the Charlottesville connection. I guess you are still reeling from someone not picking Salem?

I still get a kick out of some of you admitting that you have not seen a team but KNOW with no doubt that Salem would thrash them. That is pretty awesome right there. I guess matchups and schemes matter not. You boys are need to take off the old letterman's sweater and get out more often.

And I am far from an expert on football. (yeah, I know what you will say to that so save the keystrokes). As I have said more than once, I could not coach my way out of a wet paper bag as far as football goes. But I can see talent and skill. I know speed when I see it. I am sure most on here can.

Also, Dr. Elias is next door to a proctologist. You get some cream for that butt hurt while waiting on your new specs.
I won't address most of this post, I just want to specifically talk about Orange. It is logical to believe that Salem would beat them handily... EV beat them 40-0 and Albermarle beat them 35-13... EV and Albermarle were both knocked out of the playoffs pretty early and by large margins.

Why do you think Orange matches up well with Salem?

It should not be a surprise that there was a post such as Marshall's at this point in the season. Hasn't this happened virtually every year since VA Preps went live? Someone, usually during the playoffs, makes an evaluative comment on Salem (and a good many other teams for that matter) based on the infamous "eye test" or video (which was probably a hudl clip or news highlight). The comment usually includes a phrase like "nothing special" or "average at best". It also usually is followed with a prediction that they will lose in the next game or at least when they play a "really good" team. Heck, some surmised that the Millbrook match-up would be a close one because of their style of play and their athletes that were ready to weave through that antiquated Spartan defense. All Salem did was show up and obliterate Millbrook with the run, with the pass, with special teams, and also that antiquated defense, which stifled any semblance of athleticism from the Pioneers. Then they played a solid, although not perfect, game against Byrd and shut down a rushing attack (for the second time this season) that had ran through and over everyone else. I can remember similar comments being made a variety of other times about Salem squads. In '99, there was no way they could even keep it close against Park View's speed and strength. The game would be over at halftime against the elite Amherst '06 and '07 teams. Of course, there was also last year, when Salem would have to learn its lesson again that it wasn't ready for the LT's of the football world (despite knocking off two undefeated teams in dominant fashion the weeks prior).

I did not grow up a Salem fan. In fact, as a Northside player, there was no one I wanted to beat more than Salem. I can tell you too, that I also failed the "eye test" on Salem more than once. We had teams with multiple D1 prospects (especially '94) that got slapped around with what seemed like a far more inferior Salem team than what we put on the field. Salem is not fancy. They don't have a ton of speed and athletes. You're not going to see an amazingly deep playbook or bag of tricks. However, you will see execution, execution, and more execution. They are coached and move as one organism. Yes, every squad preaches teamwork, but Salem breathes it. The coaches are superb and will figure out ways to negate their weaknesses and emphasize their strengths. Honestly, I don't care what stats on paper show or videos reveal, I pretty much count on them as state contenders every year. For me, regardless of offensive or defensive style, the fun in watching Salem is seeing that next coaching move that stumps their opponent, watching them gang tackle because they're playing assignment football, and finally, as they did last Friday night, watching them orchestrate a game-winning drive by executing almost to perfection and having a high school kid define the term "clutch".

Once again, our Viking pal has our back. Much appreciated.

Yes, there are going to be posts such as this about Salem until one of two things happens:
1) VaPreps ceases to exist; or
2) They quit playing high school football in Virginia.

This is what has been the most disappointing aspect of this football season on these message boards. And it has only gotten bad again over the last few months; when the far more knowledgeable regular posters who frequent the boards year-round were the only ones commenting, we got virtually none of this type of thing. In 2013, all the short-timers came out of the woodwork to tell us how that was going to be it for Salem football. A few of the stalwart nut-jobs chimed in as well. The Spartans would never be heard from again in the new format. Win state 4A? Ha! Salem would probably be lucky to make it past the first round of the playoffs, in any given year. The Spartans were going to see real teams now, in 4A North.

Every year come playoff time, we hear the same refrain. Salem has the easiest schedule in the state. Salem got the easiest path to the final. Salem got lucky with the seedings. Salem's going to be crushed by LT. Well, that one actually panned out - one out of two, anyway. The second time, those predictions weren't so accurate.

And all that's fine. It's an internet message board. No persecution complex here; I take most of it with a grain (or moderate hill) of salt. I've learned by now who to listen to, who to tune out, and who to flat-out ignore. As an example, touting a big Charlottesville-Amherst matchup in the third round that doesn't come close to materializing probably doesn't include one in that first group. And I also realize that the high profile of Salem posters on this board makes us targets. That's just the way of the interwebs. I do still get amused, and a little befuddled when people complain about how much Salem football fans post..... on a message board devoted to high school football.

So, people can have their opinions. That's why we're all here. In Salem's case, the majority of the nay-sayers eventually reveal themselves to be either not very knowledgeable, or just ordinary trolls. They come and go on here. Now, some of our more respected posters might feel Salem's going to lose in a given week. But those people always present valid arguments. They might not be correct every time, but they've put some thought into it. If you know what you're talking about, I don't care if you think Dominion will win Saturday. Heck, you could be right. I want to hear what you have to say.

Here's the main thing, though. Forget about all the history from 1984 to 2012. After making the state semifinals for the fifth straight year, absolutely dominating 4A North/West for four years, and winning the whole freaking thing last year, one would think a gd modicum of respect for the team would have been earned by now. Like, even the benefit of the doubt. So, for people at this stage in the proceedings to still be making posts about how Salem would lose to every 5-5 team from every other corner of the state? Well, that shows either an enormous amount of disrespect, or it reveals a lack of knowledge so egregious that it should disqualify one from making any comment about high school football in Virginia.

Fortunately, none of this carries over into real life. The game isn't affected, nor are any of my other activities in life. It's just disappointing to come on VaPreps and read the same old garbage, year after year after year. At least now, I know it's never going to change, so I can quit looking for that to happen.

And I seriously think OC would cause matchup problems for them.

seh6p.gif

All true but I think from what I saw, EV and definitely Chancellor match up very well v. Salem. Just like I think Sherando match up well v. EV. Salem had one kid who appeared to be very quick (#21 or 24). Overall though, their team speed appeared a step behind.
One kid that appeared quick? You didn't think #4 Tucker was quick? The QB Beckley ran a laser timed 4.5... there are quite a few other players as well. They might not have many track blazers but they have pretty good collective team speed.

I agree that it's possible that this Salem team might not be on par with some of the championship teams of the past, but clearly they have proven to be the best in the West if they beat Dominion this year. The west is not quite "all that " this year, but one thing for sure Salem will represent well in the championship. One thing that concerns me though is that Woodgrove and Salem have very similar type teams , not a ton of speed, but execution is top notch. For Salems sake, they better get a hold of the Dominion QB early and often. I think they will have little problems getting it done, that haul down to Salem for Dominion couldn't get any longer.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
As far as I can ever recall, this is the first time I have ever posted about Salem. They just did not appear to be as good as several teams I saw this year. My opinion.
I just want to know why in particular you think OC matches up well with Salem. You haven't responded to any of my other posts so I won't hold my breath...

As far as I can ever recall, this is the first time I have ever posted about Salem. They just did not appear to be as good as several teams I saw this year. My opinion.
It's best just to them have it bro..We have more 2 more weeks to hear this until reality sets in. This thread is probably going to be deleted anyway at least I hope so.

I just want to know why in particular you think OC matches up well with Salem. You haven't responded to any of my other posts so I won't hold my breath...
You posted this earlier, "Calling you "way off base" would be an understatement. That is maybe the poorest evaluation I have ever seen". So whatever I may think is obviously of no value to you and your infinite wisdom. No need to try playing nice now. I qualified all my opinions by repeatedly saying I was basing this on one game. I guess that is not good enough for you.

It's best just to them have it bro..We have more 2 more weeks to hear this until reality sets in. This thread is probably going to be deleted anyway at least I hope so.

Same Salem fans will still be here win or lose just like they have for the past decade. I like how some of you think most of us expect state or something and that somehow Dinwiddie or Lafayette will shatter our world or something equally dumb. Didn't think we'd beat LT 2 years ago, don't think we'd beat Dinwiddie this year (Lafayette ask me in a week). Majority of folks on here likely feel the same. Some of you project the worst of us onto the rest of us, makes for some really dumb assumptions. Went a decade between winning state, same people were on here posting and supporting regardless.

I am heading off to the TV room to watch the season premier of Vikings (been waiting on this for a long time)...and southy, stopping messaging me with apologies...be a man for goodness sake.

Reactions: catchtds
Same Salem fans will still be here win or lose just like they have for the past decade. I like how some of you think most of us expect state or something and that somehow Dinwiddie or Lafayette will shatter our world or something equally dumb. Didn't think we'd beat LT 2 years ago, don't think we'd beat Dinwiddie this year (Lafayette ask me in a week). Majority of folks on here likely feel the same. Some of you project the worst of us onto the rest of us, makes for some really dumb assumptions. Went a decade between winning state, same people were on here posting and supporting regardless.
TBH I really could care less. This is just a hobby to me and I've met some really nice people on here who enjoy high school sports like I do. If I wanted drama, I'd log into Facebook or something.

I'll be here win or lose just like I've been since the beginning. If we get beat I'll congratulate the other team and their fans and move on to something else. My life doesn't revolve around my favorite high school team.

Reactions: southbottomU
I agree that it's possible that this Salem team might not be on par with some of the championship teams of the past, but clearly they have proven to be the best in the West if they beat Dominion this year.

Might not? This team is probably a 17 to 20 point dog to last year's team. This is a good not great Salem team. Last year had superior line play on both sides and superior DBs and RBs. It wouldn't be wholesale slaughter but last year's team would grind this year's down.

You posted this earlier, "Calling you "way off base" would be an understatement. That is maybe the poorest evaluation I have ever seen". So whatever I may think is obviously of no value to you and your infinite wisdom. No need to try playing nice now. I qualified all my opinions by repeatedly saying I was basing this on one game. I guess that is not good enough for you.
When did I say anything about infinite wisdom? I gave many reasons why I thought it was a terrible evaluation.

I know that you are basing it off one game, you have made that clear. Normally if somebody says "___ team matches up well with _____ team" they have reasons behind the statement. I am just curious to know what any of those reasons are. What from the one game you saw Salem play would be exploited by OC?

The one thing I'm grateful for as a Salem fan is not having to depend on other teams to do my talking for me and beat a team I don't like. Nothing sadder in sports, honestly. Saw a UNC fan cheering for Duke to beat VT this year, was immensely pathetic. See the same here, it's just shake your head sad.

Was damn sad Amherst lost last week, I wanted a rematch. Would be quite a battle and you could have put probably 12,000-13,000 in Salem Stadium for it.

I am heading off to the TV room to watch the season premier of Vikings (been waiting on this for a long time)...and southy, stopping messaging me with apologies...be a man for goodness sake.
Didn't apologize to you. Apologized to Hampspear. I respect him. You, i don't think so.

I'll be here win or lose just like I've been since the beginning. If we get beat I'll congratulate the other team and their fans and move on to something else. My life doesn't revolve around my favorite high school team.
I love a good football conversation but can do without the arrogance and one poster's constant put downs and blatant disrespect. Never had one problem with you and 95% of the Salem fan base on here and you can say the same about me.

Reactions: SalemPride
Interesting thread so I'll throw in my two cents.

I've seen ton's of film on Salem and Marshall Dillon is right. There is nothing really impressive about what they do. Nothing fancy. Nothing special. They look very beatable.

But they win. They are as Lombardi as it gets. They block. They tackle. They are completely unintimidated. They fear no one. Despite the "nothing special" appearance, these guys win games and that's the bottom line for the Spartans. The record is indisputable. As Bill Parcels said, "You are who your record says you are". Salem is the best 4A program in VA history. Bottom line.

Didn't apologize to you. Apologized to Hampspear. I respect him. You, i don't think so.
From dealing with you the past 2 years I've been on here I can see right through you. You said some disparaging and racist remarks that was directed towards me and my kids that I mentored from GW when they played Salem and I let it be. Never judge you or held it against you. Don't care but you continue to disrespect people. You then tried to bully another loved and respected member on here a couple of months ago and now you're disrespecting another member tonight. I don't know you and you don't know me. I'm not a person to judge but I am a person who prays. I'll pray for you. I'm out.

Last edited:
Interesting thread so I'll throw in my two cents.

I've seen ton's of film on Salem and Marshall Dillon is right. There is nothing really impressive about what they do. Nothing fancy. Nothing special. They look very beatable.

But they win. They are as Lombardi as it gets. They block. They tackle. They are completely unintimidated. They fear no one. Despite the "nothing special" appearance, these guys win games and that's the bottom line for the Spartans. The record is indisputable. As Bill Parcels said, "You are who your record says you are". Salem is the best 4A program in VA history. Bottom line.
There is a big difference between what you are saying and what Marshall said. Saying beatable, nothing fancy and nothing special is much different than saying average and mediocre and listing two teams around .500 on the season that you think would be competitive.

Reactions: SalemPride
Shoot, I'm still over here chillin' and eating this popcorn.
As a deer. I did like the humor but you do realize it's hunting season. I'd prefer to continue as your puppeteer come next fall and not just another piece of jerky. Be safe.

From dealing with you the past 2 years I've been on here I can see right through you. You said some disparaging and racist remarks that was directed towards me and my kids that I mentored from GW when they played Salem and I let it be. Never judge you or held it against you. Don't care but you continue to disrespect people. You then tried to bully another loved and respected member on here a couple of months ago and now you're disrespecting another member tonight. I don't know you and you don't know me. I'm not a person to judge but I am a person who prays. I'll pray for you. I'm out.
so it was you that mentored those kids that acted out in the GW / Salem game two years ago. That explains a lot. And now you played the race card, last refuge for a scoundrel. My comments about that game referred to behavior by players with a Danville uniform on------they could have been native Americans or Eskimos, didn't care ----they acted like jerks no matter what race they were

Once again, our Viking pal has our back. Much appreciated.

Yes, there are going to be posts such as this about Salem until one of two things happens:
1) VaPreps ceases to exist; or
2) They quit playing high school football in Virginia.

This is what has been the most disappointing aspect of this football season on these message boards. And it has only gotten bad again over the last few months; when the far more knowledgeable regular posters who frequent the boards year-round were the only ones commenting, we got virtually none of this type of thing. In 2013, all the short-timers came out of the woodwork to tell us how that was going to be it for Salem football. A few of the stalwart nut-jobs chimed in as well. The Spartans would never be heard from again in the new format. Win state 4A? Ha! Salem would probably be lucky to make it past the first round of the playoffs, in any given year. The Spartans were going to see real teams now, in 4A North.

Every year come playoff time, we hear the same refrain. Salem has the easiest schedule in the state. Salem got the easiest path to the final. Salem got lucky with the seedings. Salem's going to be crushed by LT. Well, that one actually panned out - one out of two, anyway. The second time, those predictions weren't so accurate.

And all that's fine. It's an internet message board. No persecution complex here; I take most of it with a grain (or moderate hill) of salt. I've learned by now who to listen to, who to tune out, and who to flat-out ignore. As an example, touting a big Charlottesville-Amherst matchup in the third round that doesn't come close to materializing probably doesn't include one in that first group. And I also realize that the high profile of Salem posters on this board makes us targets. That's just the way of the interwebs. I do still get amused, and a little befuddled when people complain about how much Salem football fans post..... on a message board devoted to high school football.

So, people can have their opinions. That's why we're all here. In Salem's case, the majority of the nay-sayers eventually reveal themselves to be either not very knowledgeable, or just ordinary trolls. They come and go on here. Now, some of our more respected posters might feel Salem's going to lose in a given week. But those people always present valid arguments. They might not be correct every time, but they've put some thought into it. If you know what you're talking about, I don't care if you think Dominion will win Saturday. Heck, you could be right. I want to hear what you have to say.

Here's the main thing, though. Forget about all the history from 1984 to 2012. After making the state semifinals for the fifth straight year, absolutely dominating 4A North/West for four years, and winning the whole freaking thing last year, one would think a gd modicum of respect for the team would have been earned by now. Like, even the benefit of the doubt. So, for people at this stage in the proceedings to still be making posts about how Salem would lose to every 5-5 team from every other corner of the state? Well, that shows either an enormous amount of disrespect, or it reveals a lack of knowledge so egregious that it should disqualify one from making any comment about high school football in Virginia.

Fortunately, none of this carries over into real life. The game isn't affected, nor are any of my other activities in life. It's just disappointing to come on VaPreps and read the same old garbage, year after year after year. At least now, I know it's never going to change, so I can quit looking for that to happen.

I totally agree, SpartanOfYore. Indeed, none of this will carry over into real life. Salem will continue to do their thing. They'll be primed and ready Saturday. I'm sure Mags and the other coaches have hatched a good plan for McCants and Co. I for one am really looking forward to seeing another great high school football game so close to the comfort of my own home. Hoping for a big crowd!

I totally agree, SpartanOfYore. Indeed, none of this will carry over into real life. Salem will continue to do their thing. They'll be primed and ready Saturday. I'm sure Mags and the other coaches have hatched a good plan for McCants and Co. I for one am really looking forward to seeing another great high school football game so close to the comfort of my own home. Hoping for a big crowd!
You sound like Mike. He was absolutely giddy last Friday when he knew he was going to see the Spartans one more time, at a minimum.

Reactions: RKE Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT