ADVERTISEMENT

Shenandoah District "Currently" Has Six Teams Tied for First Place----Time to Straighten it Out

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
I put "currently" in quotes because the situation is being caused by an odd scheduling quirk. For some reason, Waynesboro for the second year in a row was given the task of playing all six of its district games first, and then finishing out the season against old Valley District foes. At the beginning of the season, that looked interesting on paper because the Little Giants were expected to be much improved and possibly even challenge for the title. But the bottom has fallen out and instead they lost all six of those games.

Meanwhile, the other six teams have been playing only non-district games other than their Waynesboro contest, so as a result, all six of them are 1-0 in district play as we head into the final five weeks of the regular season. Everyone has had their bye week and therefore each Friday night will feature three district matches, and by that first weekend in November, we should know a lot more than we know now.

Therefore, you know what is coming........each week I will "try", and I should spell that with full caps (!) to predict those three games for you as well as whoever Waynesboro is playing. To the best of my recollection, I tried that last year and I am not sure I EVER got all four games right in the same week. Unfortunately, that may be the case again this season, due to the vast improvement shown by Fort Defiance, Wilson, and Staunton. When you stack those three up against the other three that were expected to be in the mix, it may mean we are headed for five rather unpredictable weeks.

But let's give it a try, starting with this first full weekend of October, where I "think" there are two pretty safe bets, which will leave one that looks like a toss-up to me. Not only that but Waynesboro's game looks like a 50-50 proposition as well. But here we go..........

BUFFALO GAP AT RIVERHEADS: Based on a number of threads on here recently, some folks are considering this a down year for the Big Red, and the uncertainty of the Triple C situation makes this game perhaps a little bit worrisome for the home team. The Gladiators hold a double-digit winning streak over the Bison and many of those have been 56-7 type games. You can bet that the Black and Gold is well aware of all of this, but I still think RHS has enough in the stable, with or without Cayden, to turn back the visitors. So I predict a two-TD margin if he doesn't play, or 3-4 scores if he is back to his old self.

FORT DEFIANCE AT WILSON: The Indians are still quite young but they have surprised a bunch of folks this season, and at one point they were riding a three-game winning streak. Wilson is currently 4-1 with two of those wins coming over Monticello and Western Albemarle, two teams that should have at least "sounded" imposing. But the Hornets handled both rather easily and their only blemish came against an improved Spotswood team. Fort seems like the weakest of this top six, as they "only" beat Waynesboro by 9 points, so in my most confident pick of this week, I will go with the home team by three scores.

STUARTS DRAFT AT STAUNTON: For those who are not aware, the Storm is the only unbeaten team in the Shenandoah, or for that matter, this part of the valley. Their new coach has inspired a whole community full of enthusiasm for the program and as I reported last week, right now I see them as serious contenders for district honors. Now some people claim they haven't played anybody, and if you choose to believe that, then SD will be their first "real" test. The Cougars were also rolling along unbeaten until they were ambushed at Luray Friday night. So this is my toss-up game, and I will go with Staunton by a field goal.

WAYNESBORO VS. ROCKBRIDGE: OOPS my bad. Just checked the schedule to see where they were playing and turns out they don't play until next week. Waynesboro had not had a bye yet, so they get it this week, which will give them time to re-focus before seeing if they can finish the season strong. So they get Rockbridge NEXT week and I might just have to pick the Purple and Gold to get its first win but we will cross that (Rock) bridge when we get to it!

I will guess Wilson over Fort 42-14 and Draft over Staunton same 42-14. I will make no guesses on Gap/Heads. It could be 56-0 or 21-14.

I will take a stab at this week....

Gap @ RH-Riverheads is not down this year and I think that people are giving BG too much hype. I'm thinking RH 34-16.

Fort @ Wilson-I actually think that Wilson is possibly the 3rd best team in the district right now. Fort started off proving a lot of people wrong and playing tough, but I see Wilson winning 34-10.

Draft @ Staunton-Staunton is improved and Draft does not look like the Draft of old. I'm also not sold on Staunton yet because of their schedule. With that I am going with it being a 24-21 or 23-20 type of game, just not sure of who wins this one. Gut says Staunton and brain says Draft.

That last game may depend on how much Luray got into the head of the Cougars or how mad it made them.

Maybe I missed it but Luray is a power run team and I don’t see that in Staunton. Defensively I believe Staunton may be able to limit Drafts running but will their line hold up long enough to be able to get the ball downfield. Waynesboro as the common opponent gives me the feeling that this one is close and very well may come down to a special teams play late.
Wilson is showing signs of the resurgence some have expected. I wouldn’t overlook the bunch from Fort though as they have youth but that also means they are likely fearless. IF Wilson is able to spread the ball around I think they come away with a win pulling away late. If however they become predictable then the Indians can make them pay.

Riverheads and Gap is like a backyard brawl. It doesn’t matter what you brought to the fight, just get after it. I remember a night a few years go with a little drizzle where the Gladiators were far and away better on paper. It was a close game all the way and may have been decided late with Riverheads finally winning. In short, throw out records and what we will likely be treated to is a close football game decided in the second half.

Reactions: TS69
I'll take a stab at predicting these games: Riverheads 35-14, Draft 21-17 and Wilson 28-21. Certainly wouldn't bet the house on these picks. LOL

Saw on another board where a poster mentioned Calpreps and I forgot about that site. So for fun, here is what the site predicts.

Riverheads 28-Gap 21
Staunton 17-Stuarts Draft 16
Wilson 34-Fort 13

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT