ADVERTISEMENT

Shenandoah District Outlook

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
Well folks it is August and the first scrimmages are set for next week, so let's start some dialogue on this year's Shenandoah District race. Of course the ultimate goal is to reach the regional playoffs at the end of the season, when our seven teams will splinter off into the first three VHSL classifications. To refresh your memories on that issue, three of our teams...Staunton, Waynesboro, and Wilson.....will hope to make the Class 3, Region C playoffs; three others.....Fort Defiance, Riverheads, and Stuarts Draft.....will compete for Class 2, Region B playoff spots; and the remaining team...Buffalo Gap, will hope to make the Class 1, Region B field.

Before we get to those playoffs, we will spend ten exciting weekends to crown a Shenandoah District champ, meaning each team will have six district games and four non-district. This particular year will feature some rather interesting non-district games that may attract as much attention as the district match-ups. I will try to mention some of those as I go along here with this post.

The big question as always will be......Will this be the year that someone knocks Riverheads off its perch as the district champion? Well as a Riverheads fan, you know what I am almost obligated to say about that question. HOWEVER, this year I honestly think the Gladiators will have the toughest district schedule they have faced in quite some time. I say that because I see three legitimate challengers to their domination of the district, and the Big Red has to face all three of those teams on the road. Fortunately, RHS travels well so that may not be as big a factor as it might be for some teams but it will not be a cakewalk.

Now do I see Riverheads winning the district again? Yes I do, and I will explain my reasoning a bit later. But those other three (Fort, Staunton, and Stuarts Draft) have no doubt circled those three home games on their respective calendars, and the Big Red might falter one night and still take the title, but two or more losses in those three games would indeed give us a new champion.

OK, to cut to the chase, here is my predicted ranking, although I can almost guarantee some ties somewhere. It will not be a straight up and down 1-7 ranking. The district will be too competitive for that.

1) Riverheads......The Gladiators should return their starting quarterback in Levi Dunlap. He is a very poised and confident leader and although he may not rack up the big time stats, he will bring steadiness to the team. The place kicker will presumably be back and at least once last year, he was the difference in a game. There is a strong defensive back returning (this is all based on memory you understand), but the biggest factor for Riverheads will be the running back position. If anyone thinks the bottom will drop out for Riverheads because Triple C finally graduated, think again. The Gladiators will be loaded at that position again, and if all the right people are on the team, at least four backs will be capable of taking it to the house from anywhere on the field, and that degree of depth will give opposing defenses fits. Granted, RHS may have a lot to replace on the line, but we hear that every year, and it always seems to work itself out. In addition to the challenging district race, the Gladiators are certainly not playing a cupcake non-district schedule. They open with Central Woodstock (enough said!), they host Tazewell the following week in what may be the toughest game of that recent series, they will travel to Christiansburg for what will no doubt be a big-time grudge match, and they will be the first team in the area to test the new Rocktown High School. It will definitely be an interesting year for Gladiator fans but in my book, you are number one until somebody knocks you off, so I am going with another district title coming back to Greenville.

2) Staunton......I will begin by saying that these next three positions are so close in my mind that you could almost toss a coin. Not only will they be evenly-matched against one another, but as stated earlier, each of the three has a legitimate shot to knock off the Big Red and upset the apple cart. I am putting The Storm in the number two spot because the new coach brought a new sense of pride to the Queen City last year and I expect them to build upon that. The athleticism will certainly be there, but the question will be whether the discipline and poise can come along to match those other attributes? Last but not least, they get to host all the other major contenders, so there will be three huge home games at Gypsy Hill Park this season. If they can win all three of those, or it might only take two, the title could be theirs. We will learn a lot about them early when they travel to Woodstock.

3) Stuarts Draft......With the Graber Brothers returning, the Cougars are always going to be a threat. They will host Riverheads on October 25th in what could be the deciding game, but they will be battle-tested long before that as they will travel to King William and powerful Rustburg in the first three weeks of the season. The real key to their chances at the title will be if they can win road games at both Staunton and Fort, so as to make the RHS game the deciding game that it has been several times in the past.

4) Fort Defiance......The Indians have been on a steady uphill climb the past couple of years and if my memory serves, they return their quarterback and his top receiver from last year. They open the season at Turner Ashby, a top Valley District contender, so that will tell us a lot. As already mentioned, they get to host both RHS and SD, so those will be their two big home gates of the season. If I have a reason for putting them in fourth place, it is because I remember a pretty weak JV team from last year, so there may not be a lot coming up from that squad.

I am sure the remaining three teams are saying.....What About Us? Where is our respect? Well of course it is possible that one or more of them could shock us all. Believe it or not, the one that I see having the best chance to do that is............

5) Waynesboro.......Last year the Little Giants were about the best 0-10 team that has ever taken a field. They had speed, they had enthusiasm, and the talent was there. Not only that but they played hard. They have a new coach this year and if he can keep their confidence up, don't be surprised at all if they make some noise and spoil somebody's Friday night along the way.

6) Wilson.......I am basing these last two spots on gut feelings, so by all means their fans are encouraged to come on here and speak their praises. I don't see Wilson as being able to compete against the top four plus I am worried that they will be beaten to a pulp by a very tough early schedule. They do open at Charlottesville, which they manhandled last year, so maybe they can win that one again. But their next five games all look like losses on paper, so they could easily be demoralized by the time they get into the meat of their schedule.

7) Buffalo Gap.....Speaking of being demoralized, the Bison lost a heartbreaker on opening night last year at James River, and that seemed to set the tone for a dismal 1-10 season. They do get the Knights at home to open this season, so maybe they can flip that script, but then they travel to Luray and Clarke the following two weeks. Ouch! I wish the Bison luck but realistically I don't see more than 2-3 wins in their future. They do get both Waynesboro and Wilson at home, so maybe they can win those two and prove me wrong.

So those are my thoughts. Let's get Hurricane Debby out of the way this week and get ready for some football next week!!!

Reactions: pizzzzza
1. Riverheads. The King until proven otherwise. Return QB (Dunlap) and RB (Talbot) I believe is his name, is more than capable of being the next great RB for them. Plus they have the coaching edge.

2. Fort. Should be high octane on Offense. Return QB (Miller), RB (Hebb) and WR (Armentrout). Not sure if line play or defense is up to par but you will probably have to put up 35+ to beat them.

3. Draft. Return both Grabers (QB and RB) the other running back (Moore) and the other offensive threat (Ramsey). If they can find someone to catch a few passes they should be high scoring also. Defense will always be solid. They are always a well coached team and don't generally hurt themselves so you have to line up and beat them.

4. Staunton. Not sure who they return but they will for sure be full of athletes. Coach Bell was a great hire.

5. Wilson. Believe they lost a good stable of RB. Not sure if the starting QB is back but they had a freshman (Podgorski) get some significant snaps. Always a tough out.

6. Waynesboro. Maybe new coach can bring them back to life.

7. Gap. Lost quite a bit, Roberts kid comes to mind, and just not enough horses to compete every night.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Fort wins the Shenandoah District this season. Still think Riverheads would be the betting favorite but going with my gut feeling.

1. Fort Defiance
2. Riverheads
3. Stuarts Draft
4. Staunton
5. Waynesboro
6. Wilson Memorial
7. Buffalo Gap

Redriver aint losing that district cauz they got truffle dawwgs an gensing gathereres and hit hard.. ain't 1 team beeting em up thar an probably play for a ring again

While this subject is being debated on the board, I have to offer up our podcast which debates this stuff weekly, including our focus on the QB position for the Shenandoah district in this past week's episode.

Well folks it is August and the first scrimmages are set for next week, so let's start some dialogue on this year's Shenandoah District race. Of course the ultimate goal is to reach the regional playoffs at the end of the season, when our seven teams will splinter off into the first three VHSL classifications. To refresh your memories on that issue, three of our teams...Staunton, Waynesboro, and Wilson.....will hope to make the Class 3, Region C playoffs; three others.....Fort Defiance, Riverheads, and Stuarts Draft.....will compete for Class 2, Region B playoff spots; and the remaining team...Buffalo Gap, will hope to make the Class 1, Region B field.

Before we get to those playoffs, we will spend ten exciting weekends to crown a Shenandoah District champ, meaning each team will have six district games and four non-district. This particular year will feature some rather interesting non-district games that may attract as much attention as the district match-ups. I will try to mention some of those as I go along here with this post.

The big question as always will be......Will this be the year that someone knocks Riverheads off its perch as the district champion? Well as a Riverheads fan, you know what I am almost obligated to say about that question. HOWEVER, this year I honestly think the Gladiators will have the toughest district schedule they have faced in quite some time. I say that because I see three legitimate challengers to their domination of the district, and the Big Red has to face all three of those teams on the road. Fortunately, RHS travels well so that may not be as big a factor as it might be for some teams but it will not be a cakewalk.

Now do I see Riverheads winning the district again? Yes I do, and I will explain my reasoning a bit later. But those other three (Fort, Staunton, and Stuarts Draft) have no doubt circled those three home games on their respective calendars, and the Big Red might falter one night and still take the title, but two or more losses in those three games would indeed give us a new champion.

OK, to cut to the chase, here is my predicted ranking, although I can almost guarantee some ties somewhere. It will not be a straight up and down 1-7 ranking. The district will be too competitive for that.

1) Riverheads......The Gladiators should return their starting quarterback in Levi Dunlap. He is a very poised and confident leader and although he may not rack up the big time stats, he will bring steadiness to the team. The place kicker will presumably be back and at least once last year, he was the difference in a game. There is a strong defensive back returning (this is all based on memory you understand), but the biggest factor for Riverheads will be the running back position. If anyone thinks the bottom will drop out for Riverheads because Triple C finally graduated, think again. The Gladiators will be loaded at that position again, and if all the right people are on the team, at least four backs will be capable of taking it to the house from anywhere on the field, and that degree of depth will give opposing defenses fits. Granted, RHS may have a lot to replace on the line, but we hear that every year, and it always seems to work itself out. In addition to the challenging district race, the Gladiators are certainly not playing a cupcake non-district schedule. They open with Central Woodstock (enough said!), they host Tazewell the following week in what may be the toughest game of that recent series, they will travel to Christiansburg for what will no doubt be a big-time grudge match, and they will be the first team in the area to test the new Rocktown High School. It will definitely be an interesting year for Gladiator fans but in my book, you are number one until somebody knocks you off, so I am going with another district title coming back to Greenville.

2) Staunton......I will begin by saying that these next three positions are so close in my mind that you could almost toss a coin. Not only will they be evenly-matched against one another, but as stated earlier, each of the three has a legitimate shot to knock off the Big Red and upset the apple cart. I am putting The Storm in the number two spot because the new coach brought a new sense of pride to the Queen City last year and I expect them to build upon that. The athleticism will certainly be there, but the question will be whether the discipline and poise can come along to match those other attributes? Last but not least, they get to host all the other major contenders, so there will be three huge home games at Gypsy Hill Park this season. If they can win all three of those, or it might only take two, the title could be theirs. We will learn a lot about them early when they travel to Woodstock.

3) Stuarts Draft......With the Graber Brothers returning, the Cougars are always going to be a threat. They will host Riverheads on October 25th in what could be the deciding game, but they will be battle-tested long before that as they will travel to King William and powerful Rustburg in the first three weeks of the season. The real key to their chances at the title will be if they can win road games at both Staunton and Fort, so as to make the RHS game the deciding game that it has been several times in the past.

4) Fort Defiance......The Indians have been on a steady uphill climb the past couple of years and if my memory serves, they return their quarterback and his top receiver from last year. They open the season at Turner Ashby, a top Valley District contender, so that will tell us a lot. As already mentioned, they get to host both RHS and SD, so those will be their two big home gates of the season. If I have a reason for putting them in fourth place, it is because I remember a pretty weak JV team from last year, so there may not be a lot coming up from that squad.

I am sure the remaining three teams are saying.....What About Us? Where is our respect? Well of course it is possible that one or more of them could shock us all. Believe it or not, the one that I see having the best chance to do that is............

5) Waynesboro.......Last year the Little Giants were about the best 0-10 team that has ever taken a field. They had speed, they had enthusiasm, and the talent was there. Not only that but they played hard. They have a new coach this year and if he can keep their confidence up, don't be surprised at all if they make some noise and spoil somebody's Friday night along the way.

6) Wilson.......I am basing these last two spots on gut feelings, so by all means their fans are encouraged to come on here and speak their praises. I don't see Wilson as being able to compete against the top four plus I am worried that they will be beaten to a pulp by a very tough early schedule. They do open at Charlottesville, which they manhandled last year, so maybe they can win that one again. But their next five games all look like losses on paper, so they could easily be demoralized by the time they get into the meat of their schedule.

7) Buffalo Gap.....Speaking of being demoralized, the Bison lost a heartbreaker on opening night last year at James River, and that seemed to set the tone for a dismal 1-10 season. They do get the Knights at home to open this season, so maybe they can flip that script, but then they travel to Luray and Clarke the following two weeks. Ouch! I wish the Bison luck but realistically I don't see more than 2-3 wins in their future. They do get both Waynesboro and Wilson at home, so maybe they can win those two and prove me wrong.

So those are my thoughts. Let's get Hurricane Debby out of the way this week and get ready for some football next week!!!
Nice write up as usual - always enjoy reading your thoughts on football and basketball seasons.

I think the region that Staunton is in - Region C - will always be a tough region to break through, considering there's the Seminole District, which is a traditionally strong football district - along with LCA - then add teams like Western and Spotswood to the mix.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
RIverheads must get much better than what I have witnessed in practice or they will be lucky to win 5 games !

It almost that time once again. IMO the district will break down something like this:

1A Riverheads- to be the man you have to beat the man. Lots of changes with graduation but the coaches have traditionally addressed that very well so I would not look for a huge drop off. Games against Stuarts Draft and Fort loom large but I do not see the rest of the district as challenging for the district title.
1B Fort- Lots of upside with this team and they are able to attack the perceived weakness of the Gladiators with their potent passing game. I can see them as a legitimate contender in the district and region if the defense can play on par with the offense.

3 Draft- the Graber brothers are certainly going to garner a ton of attention but they also have a few other skill players that could surprise everyone if they move a little from what they did last year. They were a little too predictable last year against teams that can limit their power rushing attack. Could be wrong but do not see them as district champs this season.

4- Staunton- coach Bell had a great season last year at the helm but they lost their best RB and OL to TA so I can see them stepping back a smidge somewhere in the middle to lower end of the district depending on whether they have contributions out of players that otherwise had been secondary options last season. Still have a cupboard full of skill so there is certainly the potential for a stellar season.

5A- Wilson- lots of talent lost but there is something brewing in Fishersville with a solid coaching staff and the potential of their young skill players. That said I could just as easily see this team struggling to win more than 2-3 three games, but I am going off of a hunch with this pick.

5B- Waynesboro- may not seem like it but this team was a lot better than their record showed last season. Another team I could easily see as being a juggernaut or bust. New head coach so we will see if there is buy in and if he is able to get the schools athletes to come out for football. Talent should be there, can they put it together over the season to have more wins than losses.

7 Gap- New offensive scheme according to my sources so we will see if that combined with a heavy dose of Yeago equates to more success than last season. Also, I seem to remember them having a QB coming up that could sling it for them in Little League and JV but I am not sure if I am getting my years mixed up. For my money this team has the potential to be much better than last year but they must have confidence in what they are doing and have some early season wins to gain the big MO before facing the top district teams.

@THEGOATFROMJMU , if I am honest I could see one playoff win being the case as well. Been a long time since the Galdiators had someone other than Zach Smiley or Cayden Cook-Cash as the feature backs with all due respect to the stable of backs there this season. I am hopeful that the kids stepping into new or more critical roles are able to compete with success but you never know. Lots of changes to the defense overall and to the offensive line. Collectively this team is solid across the board and will have the calming influence of a veteran staff with many years of experience.

As scrimmages start around the state, I pray all for all of those letting us live one more fall cheering you on. For some of us living vicariously through your ups and downs are a big part of what make our communities what they are. Please know we support you all (even our competitors) with the hope that the life lessons last much longer than the ups or downs do. To the boys of fall I raise a glass to toast your season for whatever outcome it brings.

It almost that time once again. IMO the district will break down something like this:

1A Riverheads- to be the man you have to beat the man. Lots of changes with graduation but the coaches have traditionally addressed that very well so I would not look for a huge drop off. Games against Stuarts Draft and Fort loom large but I do not see the rest of the district as challenging for the district title.
1B Fort- Lots of upside with this team and they are able to attack the perceived weakness of the Gladiators with their potent passing game. I can see them as a legitimate contender in the district and region if the defense can play on par with the offense.

3 Draft- the Graber brothers are certainly going to garner a ton of attention but they also have a few other skill players that could surprise everyone if they move a little from what they did last year. They were a little too predictable last year against teams that can limit their power rushing attack. Could be wrong but do not see them as district champs this season.

4- Staunton- coach Bell had a great season last year at the helm but they lost their best RB and OL to TA so I can see them stepping back a smidge somewhere in the middle to lower end of the district depending on whether they have contributions out of players that otherwise had been secondary options last season. Still have a cupboard full of skill so there is certainly the potential for a stellar season.

5A- Wilson- lots of talent lost but there is something brewing in Fishersville with a solid coaching staff and the potential of their young skill players. That said I could just as easily see this team struggling to win more than 2-3 three games, but I am going off of a hunch with this pick.

5B- Waynesboro- may not seem like it but this team was a lot better than their record showed last season. Another team I could easily see as being a juggernaut or bust. New head coach so we will see if there is buy in and if he is able to get the schools athletes to come out for football. Talent should be there, can they put it together over the season to have more wins than losses.

7 Gap- New offensive scheme according to my sources so we will see if that combined with a heavy dose of Yeago equates to more success than last season. Also, I seem to remember them having a QB coming up that could sling it for them in Little League and JV but I am not sure if I am getting my years mixed up. For my money this team has the potential to be much better than last year but they must have confidence in what they are doing and have some early season wins to gain the big MO before facing the top district teams.

@THEGOATFROMJMU , if I am honest I could see one playoff win being the case as well. Been a long time since the Galdiators had someone other than Zach Smiley or Cayden Cook-Cash as the feature backs with all due respect to the stable of backs there this season. I am hopeful that the kids stepping into new or more critical roles are able to compete with success but you never know. Lots of changes to the defense overall and to the offensive line. Collectively this team is solid across the board and will have the calming influence of a veteran staff with many years of experience.

As scrimmages start around the state, I pray all for all of those letting us live one more fall cheering you on. For some of us living vicariously through your ups and downs are a big part of what make our communities what they are. Please know we support you all (even our competitors) with the hope that the life lessons last much longer than the ups or downs do. To the boys of fall I raise a glass to toast your season for whatever outcome it brings.
Good analysis. The other thing that isn't exactly in Riverheads favor is both of those teams you mention that probably have the best chance to give them trouble (Fort and Draft) are both road games for the Big Red this year. But also like you said, traditionally Riverheads has done a great job at addressing graduation losses. Their bout with Central to open the year will be awesome. I except both to be slightly worse than last year but Central could be scary again, especially with a new look coach. First three weeks of the season will tell us a lot about Riverheads and how much they need to improve to be back in the state title game.

The Non District games will be battles Riverheads will struggle to get Ws . This team looks like the team of the 90s at this point . Plenty of time to right the ship and I hope they can . The young men will need to mature quickly . JMO

Who did they lose to TA? I wasn't aware of this - wow!

The H'burg paper recently ran an article about a player who was a big time recruit but I did not pay any attention to it. So was that him? The paper made it sound like the guy in the article was a long-time player at TA who was finally getting his big break. I don't recall it saying anything about a transfer.

I know Fields ended up at TA, but heard that Staunton was returning their entire line from last year and that they gained an athlete from Arizona that has D1 college interest.

@Ampipe_High, I hadn't heard about the Arizona athlete but Staunton always has as ton of skill players. If the line from last year is in fact still intact, then there isn't a question they could compete for the top spot in the district. I was going off of the assumption that they would be missing two of those guys from last year. Either way its finna get real for everyone.......

A few years ago the district was won by Riverheads (of course), but then Draft, Staunton, and Wilson were all 7-3. I can see this year having the same type of finish, but closer at the top with the district champ and then 3 teams that were in it until the end. I realistically think 4 different teams have the chance for the title. I don't have a ton of info to base my predictions off of except for what others have posted and the little I can remember from last year.

1. Stuarts Draft-Garber brothers unite to take district title. D is solid and the Garber combo becomes too strong to stop. I don't think they will run away with it, but they have enough to stop and out score enough of the other contenders.

2-4. Riverheads, Fort, and Staunton. Riverheads is still going to be a force and I am sure they have plenty of pride to prove they were more than CCC. They will be sound, but if memory is correct, they lose a ton from the line. Fort is going to be hard to stop. They put up close to 30 a game last year, but against top opponents last year they didn't put up those points and failed to stop on D. Another year of growth could prove to be the difference. As it has been stated on here, Staunton lost their RB, but returns a very solid line and always has athletes. D is replacing several starters, so the early part of the schedule will show if they can contend or not.

5. Wilson-Just going off of past success here or maybe more so the past failures of the remaining two teams. I believe Wilson had some injuries to younger players early in the season last year and if healthy they could be around 4-6.

6-7-Waynesboro and Gap. Gap dropped off significantly last year and I believe they did not have a ton coming up through the JV ranks. I look for a long season for Gap, but they always do play tough and with pride. Waynesboro has a new coach, which brought some controversy, which is never good to start. Always has athletes and size, but just cannot put it together. I see it being another dysfunctional year in Waynesboro.

As many have already said, it is the big four this year. I think Fort, Staunton, and Draft return the most varsity talent from last season but:

1. Riverheads
2. Draft
3. Fort
4. Staunton
5. Wilson
6. Gap. They will be better then last year. More players and more depth. Tough district.
7. Waynesboro

Will not surprise me for any of the top 4 to win it. Wilson and Waynesboro QB's give them a shot to make some upsets also. Should be fun!

The young men in RED have really improved . They are still young so only time will tell how much they have matured. Should be a good contest VS Central Woodstock . Look for the the heat to be a factor in this one .

Maybe not because as hot as it was today (Wednesday), it is supposed to cool down into the high 70s/low 80s by Friday. Also the chances for rain don't look as much as they did earlier in the week. Thursday and Saturday now look like the big rain days for the rest of the week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT