ADVERTISEMENT

Shenandoah District Teams Open Season with "7 Up" Weekend

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
As in 7 "toss ups" because I cannot honestly look at the schedule for this opening weekend and pick even one game that looks like a slam dunk. So I will be lucky if I can predict three or four correctly. All seven are re-matches from last year's season-openers but with the host teams being reversed. Four of the seven games last year were one-point squeakers so you can understand the difficulty of trying to predict this year's winners. As of the moment, the weather doesn't sound the best, with chances of storms being predicted for Thursday through Saturday, but we will make it through. So let's get started.......

MADISON COUNTY AT STAUNTON: This was listed in the local paper's preview story as being a Thursday night game, so that might be worth verifying if you wish to attend. Could have something to do with the shortage of officials. These two had a close one last year with Madison coming out on top 15-14. However, by the end of the year, the Mounties were awful and Riverheads annihilated them in the Region 2 B playoffs. With home field advantage and the upbeat attitude they seem to have in Staunton these days, I will go with The Storm to win this one by maybe a couple of scores. But if Madison is improved, who knows?

The rest are Friday night games.........

JAMES RIVER AT BUFFALO GAP: This was another of last year's one-point games. If I remember correctly, the Bison seemed to have it in the bag but something kinky happened late in the game to allow the Knights to escape 13-12. All sources indicate that the Gap may struggle again this year, after going 1-10 last season, but let's give them some encouragement and say that they will get their revenge in this one and get some early-season confidence.

STUARTS DRAFT AT KING WILLIAM: Continuing with the one-point games from last year, KW left the Cougar Den with a rather surprising 7-6 win, considering that both would go on to display some serious offensive power. So don't be surprised if this one is completely different and the scoreboard short circuits. I know that KW has a super-fan on here, so he can chime in and fill us in on them, but until he tells us otherwise, I will go with the home team to sweep the series. Not that the Cougars are bad, mind you, but I just see this one as two good teams fighting it out down to the wire.

CENTRAL WOODSTOCK AT RIVERHEADS: Anybody who attended this one last year probably still remembers it very well. After a scoreless first half, RHS pushed across a TD in the third to move ahead 7-0. The Gladiators then had a second TD called back on a penalty that would have put them ahead 14-0. That opened the door for a miraculous last-second drive by the Falcons to pull out an 8-7 win. Of course the two met again in the Region 2 B championship and the Big Red rolled easily in that one, on their way to a ninth straight state championship appearance. Both teams lost major firepower to graduation, so the key to this one will be who has "re-loaded" the best. I still have confidence in the depth of the RHS running game, but Central has Barahona (sp.?) back as well as a transfer quarterback from Spotswood, so if they leave Greenville with a win, it will certainly not be an upset. Officially I say the Big Red by a touchdown but the packed house should see a good one.

FORT DEFIANCE AT TURNER ASHBY: Although it was not one of last year's one-point games, this may very well be the marquee game of this opening weekend. TA looked awesome in their scrimmage win over Riverheads, whereas some sources are predicting that the Indians will not only challenge Riverheads this year for the Shenandoah title, but may actually win it. We will actually find out how those two stack up in two short weeks, so put Friday the 13th on your calendar for that big one. But back to the subject at hand, these two teams share the Augusta/Rockingham border and likely know one another quite well. As great as TA looked in that scrimmage, I have to go with them to win this one, but the Indians certainly have a chance to make a big bold statement here on opening weekend.

ALLEGHANY AT WAYNESBORO: Not sure what the now-consolidated Alleghany team calls itself (Cougars? Mounties? Colts?) but whoever they are, this trip over to Waynesboro looks like a win for the visitors but the Little Giants have a new coach and perhaps a new attitude to go with it, so don't be shocked if they surprise a team or two this year. Speed has been their trademark the past few seasons, so if they can rein that speed in a little bit and cut down on the turnovers, they could make some noise in the Shenandoah. Speaking of which, I have heard from numerous sources that Alleghany, along with Rockbridge County, will be joining the Shenandoah next year, so games with those two will become a regular thing if that is indeed accurate information.

WILSON AT CHARLOTTESVILLE: Last year at The Hive, the Hornets absolutely destroyed the Black Knights in a 55-8 turnover-filled rout. That seemed surprising at the time because over here in the Valley, C'ville is considered the "big city," so how could such a thing happen? More importantly what will happen this year? I will go with Wilson to win again just based on that score but here in this first weekend, who can say?

So there you have it....seven pretty unpredictable opening weekend games with at least one guaranteed shocker to be found somewhere along the line. To summarize, I will go with the home team to win the first five listed and the visitors to win the final two. And I will go out on a limb and say we will NOT have four one-point wins this time!

Reactions: pizzzzza
Madison is better this year but still not over the hump. Hall of Fame coach Eddie Dean retired in 2004. The ensuing 20 seasons have been pretty bad overall. Coach Helmick has injected some enthusiasm into the program (see the much better numbers on the sideline). MC has some skill players. And if the off/def lines were as good as some of their parents thought, they would be state contenders…but in reality, they are not ready for prime time…yet. Looking at our schedule, I feel 5-5 may be obtainable…but probably not if they lose to Staunton Thursday. Being very optimistic, I’ll say MC 17-16😃

KW returns nearly all of their skill guys from last season plus sophomore Ksean Hill has been added to the mix as well and he will probably be used all over the field. KW lost 4 starting OL last season, but do return their center, and go 250, 275,300, 300 and 240 across their line. I expect another tight game like last season. Once again KW plays a brutal schedule with Draft, Clarke, Hanover, Woodstock, Strasburg, and Caroline, plus the new school Rocktown and also Mechanicsville. Just like last season they'll be battle tested come November

Last edited:
Madison County- losing Fields will likely hurt both the offense and defense for the Storm, plus I really liked a few of the underclassmen that MC brought to Greenville last season.

James River- a slightly retooled offense for Gap may make some difference but the defense is undersized and aren't tackling machines just yet. I could see this one flipped but the Bison will need to exercise some demons to get it done

KW- lots of upside for the Cougars but the offense has to diversify and be something other than the Graber power run game (with all due respect to those two outstanding young men), I see KW having a bit too much for the group from Draft

Riverheads- this one could very well be a nailbiter like last season. Both teams lost significant contributors on both sides of the ball. Central has moved Barahona to RB and gotten a transfer from Spotswood to run their offense so they look to be every bit as prolific as recent years. For the Gladiators there will be plenty of new faces on both sides of the ball which may take time to gel. I look for some rust from both teams with the winner getting a timely turnover or two to seal this one.

Turner Ashby- There are two things that come to mind with this matchup. First, TA is a legit contender for the 3C region this season even knowing that LCA and Heritage are awaiting in the playoffs. Lots of skill guys with very good line play. Second, this is a solid Fort team that has designs on being region champions themselves so there will be no fear of playing against this good TA team. That all said I feel TA will just be a bit too much for the Indians to contain for 48 minutes. Could be a shoot out but I see TA winning this one while widening the margin late

Alleghany- Waynesboro has some really good pieces and with a new coach you never know how fast the buy in takes place so anything is possible. Alleghany should be able to win this one fairly comfortably but you never know

Wilson- I feel like Wilson will be the shocker team this season and although losing the bulk of their scoring from last year, they will surprise a lot of teams. This one shouldn't be close at all if the Hornets have plans for playing later November

So with these picks I only see one toss up with Riverheads and Central. To me the rest would be upsets if last years loser won this time around.

As always good luck to all and safe travels to the road teams and fans. Lets get this season started with all the hype and hope that a new year provides.

With what King William returns, it's not a surprise if they beat Draft and its not a surprise if they win Region A over Poquoson, and it's also not a surprise if they win game 14 and play for the state championship. Based on what KW returns and considering Centrals HC retired and Riverheads losing Tripple C, King William is my pick to come out of the East and play for a state title. I don't expect Draft to go to KW and come away with a win.

Staunton over Madison- The Storm lost Fields, but sometimes losing a player also makes a team stronger. They still have #20 and other weapons, plus all starters returning on both lines. Madison has weapons at QB, TE, and RB, but I think them making the trip to Staunton is the difference. 24-14 Staunton

James River over Gap-JR started off hot last year and then suffered several injuries. I believe the QB returns from injury and they always play a physical game. Gap was young last year as well, but I just think they have hit one of those droughts that will cycle through small schools every so often. If the game was at JR, I would have a higher margin of victory, but since it is at Gap I am going with JR 28-12.

Draft and KW is a toss up for me. I want to say Draft...really impressed by the brothers and the team is always disciplined and plays tough D. BUT, making that longer than normal away game journey on a hot day has me leaning towards KW. This will be a good old fashioned slobber knocker and I say KW 16-14.

Central over Riverheads. If the QB for Central is good as I am hearing, I think they might just have more firepower than Riverheads. I think RHS will be down a tick this year, but that is not saying much because a tick down for them is still going 9-1 or 8-2... I think they will be anxious to prove they were more than CCC, but it might take a week or two to get rolling. Central 20-16.

TA will handle Fort. Fort has looked much improved the last two years and I know they are looking to build on that hype, but I don't think they are there yet. TA has too many powerful weapons for Fort to stop. Fort has been putting up points the last few years, but also giving up the points. TA's two 1,000 yard rushers and VT commit, just too much for Fort to handle. TA 35-20

Alleghany over Waynesboro. The Alleghany starters will be able to go and get Kilnes ice cream by halftime. Ever since Alleghany merged with Covington, they have become very good in multiple sports. Waynesboro has a new coach and athletes, but that has been the same speech several times over the last few years. Nothing changes in Boro, Alleghany 50-12.

Wilson over C'ville. C'ville coach leaves after one year to return to Brookville and he said he couldn't pass up the chance to coach with his old high school coach. I can see that, but I also think he knew what he didn't have at C'ville. It's early to tell what Wilson might have. They lost a lot from last year, but I think they have some talent returning from injury. Going Wilson 24-6.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT