ADVERTISEMENT

Shenandoah District Teams Ready for Second Week of Non-District Action

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
Last week's season-openers in the 'Doah did not have any major surprises although the margins might have been a bit more than expected here and there. For example, has Buffalo Gap been holding out on us or was James River really that bad? or With Stuarts Draft handling King William so impressively on the road, does that mean that they (not FD or RHS) may be the team to beat this year?

All we can do is continue playing the games and we will learn a little bit more each weekend. Here is the slate for this week's seven games, all of which are non-district affairs. Again here on Monday, the weather forecast looks a little iffy for Friday night, but that often changes as the week progresses.......

BUFFALO GAP AT LURAY: The question here is an easy one. Are the Bison for real? Luray lost 9-7 at East Rock but of course we don't know much about the strength of those two teams. If the Bison can win again, they will top their win total of last year, a goal that you can bet will be discussed in the locker room this week. I have to go with Luray on this one, but pride-wise, a Bison win would make us all look good.

ALLEGHANY AT FORT DEFIANCE: I called last week's Fort/TA game the "marquee" game of the week and the Indians may deserve the same spotlight again this week. Alleghany rolled over Waynesboro Friday night and will be making its second straight trip into the Valley to test us out in preparation for joining the district for real next year. The Indians gave TA a decent battle for a while Friday, so don't be fooled by that 28-7 loss because the Knights are tough. I will go with Fort in this one, but only by a touchdown or so margin. Look for something like a 28-22 final as the Indians tune up for next week's date with Riverheads when they will CLEARLY be the highlight game of the week one more time.

TAZEWELL AT RIVERHEADS: This has been an interesting series between these two teams that first met in that memorable Spring of 2021 season. They have met four times total with Riverheads winning all four. Oddly the Bulldogs have given RHS the better games in Greenville, whereas the Big Red has rolled easily in the two games played down there. Last year the Tazewell QB (I believe the name is something like Creasy) was injured early in the game, which hurt the home team's chances. Rumor has it that he is back better than ever, so the Dogs could give Riverheads another test in front of its home faithful. I will go with RHS to make it five in a row in the series, but I doubt if it will be easy.

ROCKBRIDGE COUNTY AT STAUNTON: I don't recall the score but I believe I read that RCHS lost Friday to arch-rival Parry McCluer. If so, that could mean another long season ahead for the Wildcats. I guessed wrong last week in predicting that the Storm would handle Madison County, but this time I think a win over Rockbridge is a pretty safe bet.

SURRY COUNTY AT STUARTS DRAFT: Last year the Cougars traveled in this one and easily handled the home team. With the Draft's impressive showing last week at KW, and Surry not exactly known as a power, I think the Cougars will roll in this one. Stuarts Draft then has the unenviable task of traveling to Rustburg the following week but we will cross that bridge when we get to it.

WAYNESBORO AT MONTICELLO: If I recall, this one was a relatively close game last year when played in Waynesboro, and the Giants had their chances to win it. Waynesboro desperately needs a turn-the-corner win and they might get it here, but on home field advantage, I have to go with Monticello.

WILSON AT TURNER ASHBY: The Hornets predictably spanked Charlottesville pretty good Friday, but TA ain't no Charlottesville. Unless the Hornets are a lot better than I think they are, they will be on the receiving end of a big spanking this week. TA will take this one by about a 42-7 count.

So there you have it....seven wins for seven home teams. Pretty risky business so you can just bet that SOMEONE will throw a monkey wrench in the works!

Reactions: pizzzzza
Gap @ Luray- The new look offense for Gap did show the improvement they were looking for, but I think this could have also been a little of JR being down some too. Luray is still an enigma to me because they routinely have some hardnosed line play but sometimes do not have the skill guys to execute their portion. Tough loss to ER down the stretch but look for the visiting Bison to bring in a physical offense to test the Bulldogs resolve. This one is a tossup to me because I am still not sure which team shows up and imposes their will. I will go with the home team here and say the Bison move the ball, but Luray will break a pile of tackles to secure the win.

Alleghany @ Fort- The Fort loss to TA was about what I expected while missing a key piece of the run game. I would think that the outcome likely would not have changed but the margin and overall score for Fort probably would have. That said this game will show us a little more of what to expect from this Indians team. Alleghany travelled to Waynesboro and handled their business in convincing fashion last week. This one feels like a Fort win just based off of how they played TA and the hype around this group.

Tazewell @ Riverheads- Opening game for Tazewell and a tough travel day for a Friday night game. Riverheads defense did enough against a good Central team but this Tazewell team will have a much more reliable passing game than the Falcons last week. Lots of positives for the Gladiators with new faces in new places but this game should also tell us a little about how a pass heavy Fort team would match up also. That said the Gladiators win a close one and start rounding into shape for district play.

Rockbridge @ Staunton- I won't be nice here, RC is in disarray, and I am not sure what has happened to this school's football program. This should be a coast game for a Staunton team that has explosive play capability. Storm in overwhelming fashion

Surry County @ Draft- Draft proved me wrong with last weeks impressive win over KW. This tells me one of two things, either some tweaks on the offense scheme have gotten them what they wanted or KW isn't as strong as some have suggested in other threads. This game will not tell us about that and will be a name your score contest for the Cougars going away.

Waynesboro @ Monticello- Waynesboro has some tools in the shed but Monticello looked impressive against a good Fort team when they scrimmaged so this could be a long night for the visitors. Monticello by a decent margin

Wilson @ Turner Ashby- I see this as a decent game early with TA pouring it on late. Not sure of the depth that Wilson will have but TA can throw a second unit out that can get it done as well. I would love to go with Wilson here but the Knights are just too strong and will win comfortably

I need to eat my crow from last week so I will start with congrats to Gap on proving me wrong ( I am glad you did). But I stand by my comment of this team being undersized and needing to improve tackling, but there is plenty more season left to get that worked out.

I also need to have a plate for the Draft prediction. Sounds like this team is much more than the Graber brothers. Time will tell but this team generally has a solid defense to work with so watch out if they get the offense rolling as well.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT