ADVERTISEMENT

Shenandoah District Teams Ready for Week Two

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
They say the rains will have passed and we will have a nice evening for Friday night football this week. So all seven of our Shenandoah District teams will be in action, with one district game on tap and the other five teams involved in non-district contests. On paper, at least three of the six games look as if they could be quite competitive, so hopefully there will be some great ones played. If you are a neutral fan and just want to see a good game without driving very far, five teams (Riverheads, Waynesboro, Wilson, Buffalo Gap, and Staunton) are all at home. Here is the complete slate, starting with the game that will count in the district standings.......

Stuarts Draft at Waynesboro: The Little Giants showed some promise last Friday in the loss to Riverheads. Running back Ryan Barbour, whom I am told is only a sophomore, had a couple of nice breakaway runs and will be a key cog to Waynesboro's success this year. The most important thing is that the team seems inspired to get better and put the recent past behind them. As for Stuarts Draft, they are no doubt itching to get on the field and actually finish a game after their game with William Monroe was called in the second quarter of a 7-7 tie. At this point, there is no official word on what will happen with that game. As for this upcoming one, SD looks on paper to be much stronger, but having a game under its belt should help Waynesboro. I look for a close first half, with the Cougars pulling away for something like a 47-20 win.

Here are the non-district games, in no particular order:

Luray at Buffalo Gap: For you neutral fans, this might be the game to strongly consider attending. Both teams were impressive in their opener, with the Dogs shutting out Mountain View (formerly Stonewall Jackson) 62-0, while the Bison gave up an opening kickoff return at James River but then scored 30 unanswered points to take a 30-7 win over the Knights. The Gap and Luray have had some donnybrooks over the years and this could be another one. I look for a high-scoring affair with the home team coming out on top 41-33.

Fort Defiance at Liberty-Bedford: The Indians are the only local team facing a long trip this weekend, and I suspect it will be an even longer ride back. Unless Liberty is also having its problems, they should handle the very young, very inexperienced Indians without too much trouble. I will go with Liberty 41-13.

Parry McCluer at Riverheads: These two resume an old rivalry that dates back to the 70s. Many of you were not even born yet when they had some classic duels. The Blues won a state title or two back then under the legendary Bob Williams (close on that name?) and of course we know where Riverheads stands now as a state power. The two have not played since 2012, so they may need a quarter or two to figure one another out, but RHS should prevail fairly easily. I will say something like 48-13.

Covington at Staunton: The Storm will be opening its season, since they were unable to play last week. Covington on the other hand did play last week from what I understand, so that might give them a slight advantage. But just based on home field advantage and the issue of a Class 3 playing a Class 1, you have to go with the home team. Staunton scores an insurance TD late and wins this one 26-12.

Monticello at Wilson: To me, this is the mystery game of the week, and therefore it too might be a good candidate for a neutral fan to attend. We hear and know almost nothing about Monticello over here in the Valley. So little in fact that their team name escapes me at the moment. I am not even sure of their classification but I believe they are a Class 3 team. Wilson has not yet played but there are some High Hornet Hive Hopes over there this year. Just on a hunch with nothing to base it on, I will say that Monticello pulls it out in the closing minutes by a 21-13 count.

Always enjoy your posts. I am going to say Gap/Luray is a low scoring game, of course I will pick Gap oh about 20-14. Also, I don't know, but seems there may be some lingering bad blood between Riverheads and Parry McCluer football. I know they have a new coach down there, maybe a new AD? Seems these schools would have played more regularly over the years instead of one school having to travel the state for games. I am going Riverheads 63-7 and those 7 are scored in late 4th quarter and that is not running up the score. I will go with Staunton, Wilson, and Liberty in the other games. The Draft/Waynesboro game could be close. Waynesboro looks to have some size and speed. I will go Draft 21-14.

Reactions: Fairlawncat
They say the rains will have passed and we will have a nice evening for Friday night football this week. So all seven of our Shenandoah District teams will be in action, with one district game on tap and the other five teams involved in non-district contests. On paper, at least three of the six games look as if they could be quite competitive, so hopefully there will be some great ones played. If you are a neutral fan and just want to see a good game without driving very far, five teams (Riverheads, Waynesboro, Wilson, Buffalo Gap, and Staunton) are all at home. Here is the complete slate, starting with the game that will count in the district standings.......

Stuarts Draft at Waynesboro: The Little Giants showed some promise last Friday in the loss to Riverheads. Running back Ryan Barbour, whom I am told is only a sophomore, had a couple of nice breakaway runs and will be a key cog to Waynesboro's success this year. The most important thing is that the team seems inspired to get better and put the recent past behind them. As for Stuarts Draft, they are no doubt itching to get on the field and actually finish a game after their game with William Monroe was called in the second quarter of a 7-7 tie. At this point, there is no official word on what will happen with that game. As for this upcoming one, SD looks on paper to be much stronger, but having a game under its belt should help Waynesboro. I look for a close first half, with the Cougars pulling away for something like a 47-20 win.

Here are the non-district games, in no particular order:

Luray at Buffalo Gap: For you neutral fans, this might be the game to strongly consider attending. Both teams were impressive in their opener, with the Dogs shutting out Mountain View (formerly Stonewall Jackson) 62-0, while the Bison gave up an opening kickoff return at James River but then scored 30 unanswered points to take a 30-7 win over the Knights. The Gap and Luray have had some donnybrooks over the years and this could be another one. I look for a high-scoring affair with the home team coming out on top 41-33.

Fort Defiance at Liberty-Bedford: The Indians are the only local team facing a long trip this weekend, and I suspect it will be an even longer ride back. Unless Liberty is also having its problems, they should handle the very young, very inexperienced Indians without too much trouble. I will go with Liberty 41-13.

Parry McCluer at Riverheads: These two resume an old rivalry that dates back to the 70s. Many of you were not even born yet when they had some classic duels. The Blues won a state title or two back then under the legendary Bob Williams (close on that name?) and of course we know where Riverheads stands now as a state power. The two have not played since 2012, so they may need a quarter or two to figure one another out, but RHS should prevail fairly easily. I will say something like 48-13.

Covington at Staunton: The Storm will be opening its season, since they were unable to play last week. Covington on the other hand did play last week from what I understand, so that might give them a slight advantage. But just based on home field advantage and the issue of a Class 3 playing a Class 1, you have to go with the home team. Staunton scores an insurance TD late and wins this one 26-12.

Monticello at Wilson: To me, this is the mystery game of the week, and therefore it too might be a good candidate for a neutral fan to attend. We hear and know almost nothing about Monticello over here in the Valley. So little in fact that their team name escapes me at the moment. I am not even sure of their classification but I believe they are a Class 3 team. Wilson has not yet played but there are some High Hornet Hive Hopes over there this year. Just on a hunch with nothing to base it on, I will say that Monticello pulls it out in the closing minutes by a 21-13 count.
Covington defeated Bath County 22-0 last Friday. Monticello High School's team mascot is The Mustangs and yes they are in Class 3.

Reactions: BGfootball95
Some interesting games for sure.

-Want to see how PM plays RHS. I think that will tell us a little bit about Rockbridge who narrowly escaped with a win last week vs PM.

-I think Fort will be closer with Liberty than people think.

Some interesting games for sure.

-Want to see how PM plays RHS. I think that will tell us a little bit about Rockbridge who narrowly escaped with a win last week vs PM.

-I think Fort will be closer with Liberty than people think.
Fort is very undersized and young this year. Liberty-Bedford is usually big and strong in the trenches, but can't keep up with the speed and high octane Seminole teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT