ADVERTISEMENT

Shenandoah District Week Three......What Surprises Will Be in Store This Time?

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
In the first two weeks our seven teams have given us some surprising results. The biggest would be Buffalo Gap, whom we all had near the bottom of the pack. Instead they have the hit the 40 point mark in both their games and held those two opponents to just one score each. So will we see that continue this week or will the bubble burst? And how about Wilson? They routed Charlottesville as expected the first Friday night but from the sound of things they gave Turner Ashby a tougher than expected game this past week. So when they welcome Spotswood to the Hive this week for their first home game of the season, will the Green Team come out of that one with a big win?

Looking at the overall picture, could the early successes of those two possibly mean that we really have five or even six title contenders this year for the district title? As already mentioned in another thread, the first big question will be answered Friday night when Riverheads travels to Fort Defiance. So for my weekly list of predictions, I will keep you guys in suspenders by saving that one for last. I have gone 5-2 each week so far by the way.

So here is this week's slate of games..........

BUFFALO GAP AT CLARKE COUNTY: I believe that Clarke went to King William and took care of business Friday night, so my gut feeling is that the Bison will meet their match this time around and be brought back down to earth. However, the Gap would not necessarily have to win this one to still make a positive statement. If they can keep it close or even semi-respectable, they will have earned some major props and stamped themselves as a team that cannot be overlooked. Even if Clarke takes them to the woodshed, the schedule is such that the Gap could easily be 4-1 at the halfway point of the season.

STAUNTON AT CENTRAL WOODSTOCK: This game will tell us a lot about both of these teams. Central gave Riverheads a game and a half on opening night, whereas Staunton has split its two home openers. Last year at this time, The Storm held its own against the Falcons at home when we had no way of knowing that Central would go on to a 10-0 regular season. On paper this one looks like a win for the Falcons, and maybe even an easy one, but if Staunton can catch an early break or two and get into some rhythm, they could keep it close or maybe even win. But I realistically see something like a 34-13 Falcon victory.

STUARTS DRAFT AT RUSTBURG: Over here when we think of strong teams in the Lynchburg area, we think of LCA or Heritage, but apparently Rustburg has a "devil" of a team also. They have now swept Spotswood two years in a row and when they came to Stuarts Draft last year, they laid a major butt-whooping on the Cougars. Draft has rolled in their first two games, and even though the KW win was a big surprise at the time, it does not look like SD is in the same league as Rustburg. So I have to go with the home team in this one. However I think the Draft will be able to score on them and make them earn it. Look for a 42-20 ish game.

WAYNESBORO AT BROADWAY: Looks like another long year for the Little Giants. At the beginning of the season it looked like they could have chances to win at Buffalo Gap or when they host Wilson, but with the aforementioned improvement those teams have shown thus far, I am not seeing a win at all this year for the Purple and Gold. Broadway will roll in this one.

SPOTSWOOD AT WILSON: I don't remember too many details but last year the Hornets traveled to Penn Laird and threw a serious scare into the Blazers. I think the final was only something like 14-6. So with the two respectable games Wilson has played thus far this season, a Hornet upset in this one cannot be ruled out. Or would it even be an upset if it were to occur? I am not quite ready yet to shoot the Hornets into contender status, despite the decent showing at TA, but I don't think The Wood will pound them into the ground either. Let's say the visitors win by about 10-14.

RIVERHEADS AT FORT DEFIANCE: This one has been on everyone's radar as the first "big" game of the season, and even after it is in the books, we will have to wait two more weeks before anybody else has a district game. As touched upon in the other thread, each team has some injury issues which may or may not impact the outcome. Regardless each team will have enough weapons to present a serious challenge to the other. Fort's passing game will test the Big Red, but at least the Gladiators have already had the experience of facing two strong passing teams. If Hebb has returned to action, that will make the Indians even tougher. As for the Big Red, they kept their poise in the Central game and against Tazewell, they unveiled even more of a rushing attack than we knew they had. So add Preston McCauley to the stable of Riverheads backs that the Fort will have to contend with. I think that depth in the RHS backfield will ultimately be the difference maker. Just when the Indians try to focus on stopping one guy, another will step up, whereas I don't see Fort as having that degree of versatility. So I will go with the Big Red by a touchdown or two. The biggest surprise will be if one team really runs away from the other.

Reactions: pizzzzza
Should be some good games this week.
Gap, should be close, but going with the Bison.
Central, I went back and forth on this one, either one winning, no surprise.
Draft, same as above but I think this is just a really good Draft team who squeaks out an upset.
Waynesboro, I am going with the mild upset here.
Wilson, again going with the mild upset.
Riverheads, by a lot. I know Fort has played two really good teams but they have a ton of seniors who just got blown out, if not careful it could unravel at the Fort.

Should be some good games this week.
Gap, should be close, but going with the Bison.
Central, I went back and forth on this one, either one winning, no surprise.
Draft, same as above but I think this is just a really good Draft team who squeaks out an upset.
Waynesboro, I am going with the mild upset here.
Wilson, again going with the mild upset.
Riverheads, by a lot. I know Fort has played two really good teams but they have a ton of seniors who just got blown out, if not careful it could unravel at the Fort.
Respectable but I would be shocked if the Shenandoah goes 5-0 this week out of district. I think all of the Shenandoah teams would be underdogs by Vegas in their games this week. Not saying it can't happen but would just be shocked.

Clarke by 14-21
Central by 6
Rustburg by 14-21
Waynesboro by 1 (that's my big upset pick)
Spotswood by 10
Riverheads by 21

Gap @ Clarke- Not sure if Gap is playing better than expected or caught two teams that are headed in the wrong direction but they did get those wins. Clarke has a lot of really good pieces so they are as advertised. I am hopeful that Gap is in a good tight game but I think this one could get out of hand if Clarke is what I think they are. CC by 15+

Staunton @ Central- The Storm have weapons and can house it from anywhere on the field but this isn't Rockbridge or to a much lesser degree MC. If Staunton can play without the penalties then it should be a lower scoring affair because their defense is good overall. I really feel this is a race to 20 and the slight edge has to go to Central but frankly an upset wouldn't shock me but so much.

Draft @ Rustburg- If the Cougar team that travelled to KW shows up this one can be a dog fight. I am anxious to see the outcome here but I feel Rustburg will be a smidge too much for Draft. I see it as a game in the mid 30's and a loss for the 'doah here

Waynesboro @ Broadway- Both have struggled some so it will be interesting to see who has figured the most out in these first few weeks of the season. I agree with everyone else here that a mild upset could occur but I will say Broadway finds a way to put points up and wins by 2 scores.

Spotswood @ Wilson- Wilson played TA better than some expected while Spotswood played a very good Rustburg team closer than the score showed. This one will be tighter than our Valley district brethren will be comfortable with. Wilson has something going on there with a solid coaching staff but I fee Spotswood will win this on by 8+ in a race to 21.

Riverheads @ Fort- Fort has not looked in sync so far and a big part of that is the missing RB, while Riverheads got untracked against a slightly overmatched Tazewell team in the second half. What does this say about this week, not a lot because the Taxewell QB didnt run nearly as frequently as Miller does for Fort. Fort played decently in their first game against a TA team that ran Power primarily after the first quarter so the Gladiators may find tough sledding with the run game. That all said this should be a good ball game and I would be surprised if either are able to get a huge lead. As a homer I will go with the Gladiators 21-14 but this is the year that Fort has pointed to for 3 years so they have their best chance so far

Good luck and safe travels to all

Reactions: REDMANfb24
Staunton has great athletes and always has. The problem has been between the ears, not below the neck. Talent can always show up on a given day. With teams that aren't mentally tough, they can't do this every week, but for one given week or game, talent can show up and make all of the difference. If Staunton were to come out and get two early explosive/athletes in space type scores and get a lead, Central could have problems. If there's an upset up there this week, I think this would be the most likely one. Sadly, if Staunton had it together between their ears and emotionally, it wouldn't be an upset at all if going strictly by talent alone.

Reactions: 2up2downNole
When I made my prediction earlier in the week that Central would beat Staunton by something like a 34-13 count, I had not yet seen that Central only won by a touchdown at East Rock. So I now think Staunton might be able to make this one a bit closer. I would still go with the Falcons for the win however.

Reactions: Fairlawncat
Staunton has great athletes and always has. The problem has been between the ears, not below the neck. Talent can always show up on a given day. With teams that aren't mentally tough, they can't do this every week, but for one given week or game, talent can show up and make all of the difference. If Staunton were to come out and get two early explosive/athletes in space type scores and get a lead, Central could have problems. If there's an upset up there this week, I think this would be the most likely one. Sadly, if Staunton had it together between their ears and emotionally, it wouldn't be an upset at all if going strictly by talent alone.
Staunton is not good. Not sure what Central has this year, as I haven't seen them. I have seen Staunton and I cant fathom that Central has dropped off that badly.

In my opinion Central has only changed their approach and not that they have dropped off as much as haven’t established their identity. They could still run it every down like they had been with Forbes for years as the feature back but they don’t.

I respectfully disagree about Staunton only in saying they have a tremendous upside based on their skill guys. They may not “scare” many teams but they have some very nice pieces IF they can play with structure and limit the self induced penalties. The QB is electric in space but doesn’t always make good decisions on his throws.

I do think Central wins and may stretch it out into a blowout but with that speed and athleticism on the Storm sideline, it COULD be closer than some would think.

Reactions: pizzzzza
Gap was not quite ready for Clarke.
Central's defense is really good, which the top Bull Run teams all seem to have(Strasburg, Clarke)
Rustburg is real.
Waynesboro?
Wilson put the rest of the district on notice.
Fort with the huge win, they stepped up, congratulations.

The district is still wide open in my opinion. Fort, Draft, Riverheads, Wilson could all somehow win it. Staunton and Gap could pull an upset or two. Waynesboro?

Gap was not quite ready for Clarke.
Central's defense is really good, which the top Bull Run teams all seem to have(Strasburg, Clarke)
Rustburg is real.
Waynesboro?
Wilson put the rest of the district on notice.
Fort with the huge win, they stepped up, congratulations.

The district is still wide open in my opinion. Fort, Draft, Riverheads, Wilson could all somehow win it. Staunton and Gap could pull an upset or two. Waynesboro?
I do think the new Coach Bell over at Waynesboro has the program on the right track. Rebuilding a program takes time, but I think the Giants will be in much better shape in a few years if he sticks around. I hope so, the district is just more fun when Waynesboro is good.

The battle for the Bull Run between Strasburg/Clarke/Central will be awesome this year. Strasburg has BLOWN out their opponents so far.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT