ADVERTISEMENT

Shenandoah Schools Dive into Second Half of Season

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
At the halfway point of the abbreviated six-game season, it is looking more and more like it will come down to a showdown in Greenville on the final night of the regular season for Shenandoah District bragging rights. After the first three weeks, Stuarts Draft and Riverheads are not only undefeated, but each is also on top of its region in the playoff picture. With only four teams advancing to regionals this year, they stand a good chance of maintaining those leads and making the playoffs with only Buffalo Gap seeming to have a chance to join them.

But there is much football to be played before we get to that point, so let's take a gander at Week Four, which has a couple of games that should be interesting for one reason or another. Here is the slate, with all games set for a 6:00 Friday kickoff, although you might want to stay tuned to whatever sources you trust because there is some pretty serious rain in the forecast before then.

Riverheads at Staunton: The Gladiators have had the luxury the last two weeks to play just about everybody, and not only have the seniors given their expected excellent performances, but some underclassmen are showing their stuff as well. The Storm on the other hand got off to a good start with a win over East Rock the first weekend, but they have been taken to the woodshed since then, first by Fort Defiance and then Friday by Buffalo Gap. On paper this one looks like a rout, so if you choose to stay home and watch March Madness instead, remember that our superbly talented video crew will have all the action for you on Youtube. Just check under "footballmomof5" for not only this game, but an impressive archive of Riverheads football memories.

Wilson at Buffalo Gap: These two teams share one thing in common....they did NOT have a pleasant trip to Stuarts Draft this season. So the question will be which one wants to step up and say "We are a better team than we showed that night." On paper, the smart money would be on the Bison because they bounced right back and shut out Staunton on its own field, but don't be surprised if the Green Team puts up a fight. The Bison are currently fifth in the Group 2, Region B playoff picture and they certainly will need this win to stay in contention for a top four spot at the end of the season.

Stuarts Draft at Fort Defiance: The Indians have been Jekyll and Hyde the last two Fridays on their home field, pounding Staunton 38-6, then turning around and losing to Riverheads 49-6. So with this third straight home game, they will make a statement one way or the other about what kind of team they are. Stuarts Draft has had its own quirky schedule as they opened with three straight home games but will now close the regular season with three straight road trips. If they can handle the Indians as easily as RHS did, then that season finale will REALLY start to look interesting. Or can the Indians bounce back and make a game of this one? This has the potential to be the best game of the week in the county.

Waynesboro at East Rock: Although they are not playing a district schedule, we are keeping an eye on the Little Giants this year also as they try to re-build after a couple of winless seasons. Interestingly enough East Rock is also winless and having a surprisingly tough time of it. So somebody will get their first win of the season and hopefully build upon it. Waynesboro surprised everyone two weeks ago when they traveled to Harrisonburg and stayed right in the game with the Streaks until the final horn. So if they can travel to Elkton with that same kind of swagger, they just might get that first win of the season.

That Draft and Riverheads match-up being the last one of the regular season is one I would drive to, if I could get in to see it. That's about as good as it gets for 1A and 2A ball. What an incredible game that will be. I definitely hope this game is on NFHS so I can see it.

Reactions: BGfootball95
Great kick off to preview this weeks games in the ‘doah. I will give my .02 which is more like .002 these days, lol.

Waynesboro/East Rock- both teams need this game to right the ship and at least feel like they will compete in the fall. In the little bit I have watched of both, moving the ball consistently is a struggle. With a break here or there Waynesboro may actually pull this off and lift the spirits of the Little Giant faithful. Just the same East Rock has to have the advantage with the experienced coaching staff so look for them to win this game by a score.

Wilson/Buffalo Gap-not sure whether Gap can put together four quarters but their resume looks better so far. And the same statement can be made for Wilson as they have shown one explosive half of football in 3 games. Who plays better defense? I have to believe that for Gap to hold Draft for almost 3 quarters, they have the better D of the two. Then again, matchups make fights or so they say. I look for Gap to win this game after a stalemate first half.

Stuarts Draft/Fort- too many weapons for Draft not to score minimum of 49. I don’t see Fort having enough horses to run with them so Draft should win easily. IF Fort can break the ice early maybe we have a ballgame for a half but with all due respect I can’t see an Indians victory here.

Riverheads/Staunton- the Storm have potential but haven’t fully executed their offense yet. I don’t look for that to change against the suffocating Gladiator D. I look for this to be a name your score game with subs getting a good deal of time on the field. I firmly believe coach Phillips has a plan but he has to recruit the hallways and get more athletes out on the field.

Well I suppose there is nothing earth shattering in my preview either but everyone has their own little spin on what they see. Good luck to all the teams playing and safe travels as well

Reactions: BGfootball95
That Draft and Riverheads match-up being the last one of the regular season is one I would drive to, if I could get in to see it. That's about as good as it gets for 1A and 2A ball. What an incredible game that will be. I definitely hope this game is on NFHS so I can see it.

You are of course most welcome to attend and maybe by that time, the restrictions on attendance will have been lifted. But if you choose not to make the trip for one reason or another, follow the suggestion above and you will be most impressed with footballmom's production quality, which is accompanied by a knowledgeable play-by-play guy. Check out one of the games we have played so far and you will see what I mean.

hope they have lifted the restrictions for the show down in greenville, both teams should be undefeated by then but u never know, the game in on a thurs night unless they change it, and footballmomof 5 on youtube is great streaming, went back and watched the varsity games after watching the games on the network. GO BIG RED

After watching a little of the Riverheads at Fort video, I think Fort will lose to Draft in a big way. Fort does not appear to have the big boys up front that they had last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT