ADVERTISEMENT

Sherando (5-0) @ Martinsburg, WV (6-0)

Shruikan

VaPreps Varsity
Nov 2, 2010
This will be the biggest regular season game of the year in West Virginia, bar none. The Bulldogs are 30 points better than anyone else in West Virginia, with six AAA state championships this decade (the past two being won 49-7 and 44-16). They have won 34 straight games and need a couple more to break the state record for consecutive wins. They are coming off what was essentially a bye week against Washington, WV, a game they won 67-0 despite a few starters not playing for resting purposes.

Sherando will have to play top-notch football to stay in this game. The last two games against Martinsburg have been extremely physical, usually favoring the Bulldogs due to superior size and depth. Sherando is a lot bigger and faster than in recent years though so things could even out this year.

If you live within a hundred miles of Cobourn Field, you should be at this game.

Last edited:
This will be the biggest regular season game of the year in West Virginia, bar none. The Bulldogs are 30 points better than anyone else in West Virginia, with six AAA state championships this decade (the past two being won 49-7 and 44-16). They have won 34 straight games and need a couple more to break the state record for consecutive wins. They are coming off what was essentially a bye week against Washington, WV, a game they won 67-0 despite a few starters not playing for resting purposes.

Sherando will have to play top-notch football to stay in this game. The last two games against Martinsburg have been extremely physical, usually favoring the Bulldogs due to superior size and depth. Sherando is a lot bigger and faster than in recent years though so things could even out this year.

If you live within a hundred miles of Cobourn Field, you should be at this game.
What a great hype up post man, very excited for this one! Should be a good one!

It will be a great High School football game. The key factor will be if Sherando's defense can keep Martinsburg's offense in check.Too many weapons. At home going for 35 in a row, large crowd...I do not see Martinsburg losing this game.

It will be a great High School football game. The key factor will be if Sherando's defense can keep Martinsburg's offense in check.Too many weapons. At home going for 35 in a row, large crowd...I do not see Martinsburg losing this game.
Martinsburg will have there own problems keeping up with Sherando Offense. Should be a great game

How many do they seat at Martinsburg?

The only source I've found says 4,600. Martinsburg filled up Sherando's away bleachers an hour before the game started last year and I expect as many or more people will show up this year considering they're going to beat everyone else left on their schedule by at least 30-40 points.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Lets play what if.....

If Sherando goes out and wins this week does that mean they are the best team in Div 4?

If they go out and take Martinsburg behind the woodshed, are they head and shoulders the best team in Va?

If they lose and it’s close, what does that really mean?

If they get blown out, is it just over hype for the Warriors again?

Tricky game IMO, no matter the results

Lets play what if.....

If Sherando goes out and wins this week does that mean they are the best team in Div 4?

If they go out and take Martinsburg behind the woodshed, are they head and shoulders the best team in Va?

So if they win by a good margin you're ready to say they can beat teams like Highland Springs, Westfield, Stonebridge, etc.?

Lets play what if.....

Just winning wouldn’t make them the favorite in Div 4, I wouldn’t say. I think it would make them the clear favorite in Region C and solidify their status as a legitimate contender for the state title.

Now if they go up and somehow blow the Bulldogs out? Yeah, I’d say they’d be the best team in Div 4. I don’t expect that to happen though. Since 2007 Martinsburg has only lost one game at home by more than one score and that was against 5A Tuscarora in 2014, 40-21. That year the Huskies narrowly lost to L.C. Bird in the 5A championship game.

A close loss would likely mean they could still compete for the championship but likely wouldn’t have home field advantage even if they are fortunate enough to make it to the semifinals again.

Blown out? Could still compete for the title, but definitely would be an underdog. Salem got blown out last year against Blacksburg and still pulled it off, so it’s not impossible.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
It’s amazing what one key matchup can do in these games with 2 real good teams. No matter what happens in this game, Sherando should be best in 4c. From then on it’s a crapshoot this year.

Reactions: OCBoy
Lets play what if.....

If Sherando goes out and wins this week does that mean they are the best team in Div 4? Probably

If they go out and take Martinsburg behind the woodshed, are they head and shoulders the best team in Va? Yes!

If they lose and it’s close, what does that really mean? Status Quo!

If they get blown out, is it just over hype for the Warriors again? Martinsburg is just better.

Hoping for a Great Game. Keep this in mind...Martinsburg's Special Teams are off the chart. Could be the difference.

2013 Sherando lost to Martinsburg , still got to the 4A Championship game . It would be great to win , but it’s not the end of the world if it’s a loss . Hard to win in Martinsburg home field .

Reactions: 1Gensfan and OCBoy
2013 Sherando lost to Martinsburg , still got to the 4A Championship game . It would be great to win , but it’s not the end of the world if it’s a loss . Hard to win in Martinsburg home field .

Yea they got to the Championship game, but got blown out? No? But still lost, Time for a title Warriors, not the end of the world if they lose, no, but it will tell ya how the Warriors will respond to competition, make your mark Friday!!!

I hear ya Rev, but nobody else up this way has a trophy either in the last 20 years , no reason to put Sherando up with those expectations without putting all the other teams in our area in the same conversation. call them out the same way . The Warriors are consistently the best team in Northwest VA. It would be Awsome to win Friday night up in Martinsburg, and keep getting better every week. That’s the goal. Not talking about championship yet .

Reactions: 1Gensfan
I hear ya Rev, but nobody else up this way has a trophy either in the last 20 years , no reason to put Sherando up with those expectations without putting all the other teams in our area in the same conversation. call them out the same way . The Warriors are consistently the best team in Northwest VA. It would be Awsome to win Friday night up in Martinsburg, and keep getting better every week. That’s the goal. Not talking about championship yet .
20 years??? Damn I’m old, seems like Handley was competing at a state level just yesterday, and your right, as much as I hate Sherando, it would be awesome to have that title up in the northwest mountains

Reactions: hamspear
After watching some of the Martinsburg vs. Academy Park game on YouTube, Sherando should be able to dominate Martinsburg if they want to be taken seriously. The chance is right here. All Sherando needs are a few early stops, and they should be able to pull away, and make Martinsburg play catch-up for once. The key for them is making 3rd down stops, which has been their Achilles heel.

Last edited:
After watching some of the Martinsburg vs. Academy Park game on YouTube, Sherando should be able to dominate Martinsburg if they want to be taken seriously. The chance is right here. All Sherando needs are a few early stops, and they should be able to pull away, and make Martinsburg play catch-up for once. The key for them is making 3rd down stops, which has been their Achilles heel.
They should be able to dominate a team that they are 1-6 against over the last 7 years? If they're able to squeak out a win I would say they should be ecstatic.

Reactions: SFUWO
@86CulpGrad yes, this is supposed to be Sherando's potential best team ever, and Martinsburg doesn't look quite as sharp as their previous teams, so a possible historically great Sherando should be able to take care of business. This team has taken their lumps over the last couple of seasons, now it's showtime on the big stage while they have the opportunity.

@86CulpGrad yes, this is supposed to be Sherando's potential best team ever, and Martinsburg doesn't look quite as sharp as their previous teams, so a possible historically great Sherando should be able to take care of business. This team has taken their lumps over the last couple of seasons, now it's showtime on the big stage while they have the opportunity.

I know you and hammy have some kind of rivalry, and maybe that plays into this, but I think it's a little overboard saying dominate to be taken seriously, or since its supposed to be their best team ever, etc. The same could be said about quite a few teams that have been talked about on here last few years, and dont remember that talk then or now.

@Gunz41 it's strictly football talk. I know you saw all the posts a few months ago with the Sherando and Martinsburg talk, and I'm saying I watched last week's Martinsburg game on YouTube and they don't look so scary. When I say taken seriously, I mean for state title aspirations. They must do the little things CONSISTENTLY in this game to really make people think "Sherando just might be the champs for real this year". If Sherando does those things, they can make a statement with this game, not just eek out a win.

Quite as sharp? You do realize that was a undefeated 5A school from Pennsylvania that's playing top notch competition that Martinsburg beat by 22 points. This might be one of MARTINSBURGS best teams. They never lose at home but I think its going to be a close game. This could be the Warriors year to win it all. I honestly think after this year the Warriors will take a big step back. I don't think they'll be the best team in the local area for quite a few years.

@Daboyz19 yes I realize who they played, did my research on them and everything. I still came away thinking last year's Martinsburg was better than this one. Sherando had every opportunity to win the last two matchups, now it's time to do it.

As long the coaching staff is in place at Sherando that they have now,I don’t seen the Warriors will never take that big of a step back, they will always be better than respectable.

We will have to have the young players to play big this game , best team we will probably play this year . Including all of Virginia 4A.

I'm sure both teams are very good, but West Virginia High School football is terrible. Martinsburg last year couldn't have beaten the five best teams in 4a Virginia. Obviously they would have struggled big time with the best 5a and 6a teams. Not saying they're not good, just trying to keep it real.

Reactions: OCBoy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT