ADVERTISEMENT

Sherando @ Liberty (Bealeton)

Will Liberty give Sherando a much needed TEST or not?

Yes. Sherando stalled out in the second quarter against Loudoun Valley, even though they didn't give up any points. I'm unfamiliar with Liberty this year, but if they have speed they'll stand a good chance at staying in the game. Fast teams and dual threat QBs have given Sherando fits over the years, even when the defense has been stout.

Reactions: Tom Potter
I don't many teams or coaches who wouldn't want to be up 27-0 at the half and 43-6 at the end of third with subs in half way through the third quarter against any team. If that is stalling out , I will take it every week! Sherando starters have not played a complete game this year yet, With all that running in the first quarter last week, they could have been a little tired. I agree Liberty is a step up in competition and will give Sherando a good game . If the Warriors go down to Bealton sleeping , they could easily come home losers. I have not seen that kind of mentality in this team this year though. In order for Liberty to stay in this game , they will have to have extremely fast skill players to defend the Sherando speed. I would say Liberty is looking to ground and pound and keep the Sherando O off the field. Should be a great game.

Hard to tell about Liberty. They've played 4 teams and none of them have won a game. Liberty did what they should and beat them all but we'll see what they have this week.

Sherando at Liberty

When: Today, 7 p.m.

Where: Liberty High School in Bealeton.

Records: Sherando Warriors (4-0, 1-0 Class 4 Northwestern District); Liberty Eagles (4-0, 0-0).

Last week: Sherando beat Loudoun Valley 50-20; Liberty beat Chancellor 41-0.

Last year: Did not play.

Players to watch: Sherando — RB/CB T.J. Washington, QB Hunter Entsminger, WR/S Aaron Banks, LB/HB Mike Perry, LB/RB JoJo Doleman. Liberty — RB/DB Markael Gaskins, RB Lester Parker, QB Jacob Chinault, LB Jake Waldo, OG/DT Julian Sams.

Preview: Though Liberty is competing in the Northwestern District for the first time since 2006, Sherando and the Eagles played every year in the regular season from 2009-14. From 2012-14, the two squads met every year in the playoffs, too. The Warriors went 1-2 in the playoffs and 2-1 in the regular season against Liberty during that three-year stretch.

It wouldn’t be a surprise if this winds up being the first of their two meetings this year, too. Sherando (5-5 last year) is unbeaten after four games for the first time since starting 7-0 in 2015, and Liberty (4-6 last year) is 4-0 for the first time since 2014.

This figures to be the toughest test so far for both teams. Led by sixth-year head coach Sean Finnerty, the Eagles have outscored their opponents (combined record of 0-15) 143-25, while Sherando has outscored its opponents (combined record of 3-12) 233-47.

“We’ve always had a good rivalry with those guys, just because they’re well-coached, and we always give each other a really good ball game,” said Sherando coach Bill Hall, now in his 15th year. “We expect the same thing this year. They do a good job, they play hard, and they believe in what they’re doing, and that’s always a recipe for success. We’re going to have to play a good ballgame.”

On offense, Liberty averages 328 yards per game. Hall said the Eagles will show multiple offensive looks, but the main thing is Liberty wants to run the ball behind its sizeable offensive line.

Led by Markael Gaskins (38 carries for 402 yards, six touchdowns) and Lester Parker (51 carries for 287 yards, seven TDs), the Eagles average 227 rushing ypg. Each of their starting offensive linemen is at least 6 feet tall. Led by Old Dominion commit and guard Julian Sams (6-4, 305), each of their tackles and guards weigh between 275 and 305 pounds.

Last year’s starting quarterback, Raymond Morton, has yet to play after being injured in the preseason. Jacob Chinault has completed 27 of 50 passes for 328 yards and four TDs but has thrown six interceptions.

“We’ve got to do a good job on the line of scrimmage, and take advantage of opportunities when they present themselves,” Hall said. “Turnover ratio is a key to success.”

Liberty has forced 11 turnovers in the last two weeks. Hall said the Eagles are a 4-2-5 defense.

“There’s some flexibility there, so we’ll have to do a good job in terms of identifying coverages and things like that when they drop their weak safety down to the box to get a eight-man front,” Hall said. “They do a good job of mixing things up. They’re big on the defensive front too, and athletic on the back end.”

— Compiled by Robert Niedzwiecki

Reactions: CowboyTodd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT