• Salem

Votes: 53 74.6%
  • Sherando

Votes: 18 25.4%

• Total voters

OCBoy

VaPreps All Region
Nov 12, 2001
Salem is trying to make it a 3peat. The last team to stop them from getting to the championship is none other than Sherando itself.

Reactions: mbfiveguys
At that god awful atlanta braves chop bullshit... Even the home fans would not come Into the stadium..... Salem rolls......

Most on here thought it would be these two when the season began. And here we are. Gonna be a fun day, glad to see a new team in Salem Stadium. Welcome to all Sherando fans, come on down. Easy place to find, plenty parking and great seating. Bring 3000 and no problems at all.

At that god awful atlanta braves chop bullshit... Even the home fans would not come Into the stadium..... Salem rolls......
But it is their chant and a little annoying. The state game in 2007 when Amherst beat Sherando, the chant was ongoing and when Amherst got the big lead, the Amherst fans took over the chant. It was very loud but kind of fun

Everyone in Salem remembers the last trip to SHEEE RAN DOH! We probably won't play anything annoying (dum dum dum dum...dum dum dum dum...) over the sound system like we were treated to! Good luck to both teams. Hoping for a great game! Based on our last meeting, I expect Sherando to be physical.

Everyone in Salem remembers the last trip to SHEEE RAN DOH! We probably won't play anything annoying (dum dum dum dum...dum dum dum dum...) over the sound system like we were treated to! Good luck to both teams. Hoping for a great game! Based on our last meeting, I expect Sherando to be physical.
Blacksburg announcer is annoying also

Reactions: SpartanForce
It’s annoying because they won. Hadn’t Salem lost, we’d be hearing none of it right ;)

He's hands down the worst PA guy I've ever heard and there isn't even a close second. It came off like sour grapes during the regular season but he's honestly terrible and I've been a ton of road games at this point and never heard our fans really talk about a PA guy and certainly not with anywhere near as much vitriol as this one. I think you can ask anyone who's been to Blacksburg and get a similar response.

Every single thing they do that gains like 8 yards or more requires his color commentary and then he just opens up a bag with little paper slips on them with the most generic color commentary phrases on them like we're back in the 90s when annoying color commentary was a thing and picks one out and shouts it at you. The phrase "they call him ____" followed by "because ____" is a mainstay of his and there are no good versions of that phrase ever. I'm not opposed to a home crowd PA guy that does the usual rah-rah stuff to get fans fired up, I'm saying this guy was a whole other level beyond that and it was all bad.

I'd be curious to know if he's been their PA guy for awhile or was hired in the last 2 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: salemfan32
Have you guys ever heard Louisa or Dinwiddie's announcer?I cant believe there is worse.
Also when did the PA announcer become a cheerleader? Bush League if you ask me. A PA announcer is to address the public without bias. What we are seeing now across the state with cheer announcers is a joke IMO.

Salem pa announcer only does two bias things. When Salem makes a first down. He says "and that's enough for a Spartan first down" the crowd joins in when he says first down. The other thing he does is right before kickoff he says " it's football time in Salem". Other than that he is matter of fact with his announcements. Pretty dog gone professional

Have you guys ever heard Louisa or Dinwiddie's announcer?I cant believe there is worse.
Also when did the PA announcer become a cheerleader? Bush League if you ask me. A PA announcer is to address the public without bias. What we are seeing now across the state with cheer announcers is a joke IMO.
Dinwiddies announcer is the old Louisa announcer. Are you referring to the current Louisa announcer?

Both. You are right. when i got to Dinwiddie Friday and heard I was like oh no. we have to hear him again. And make no mistake about it. I don't like it regardless if my team is home or not. Its unsportsman like and Bush.

Reactions: OCBoy
BTW Orange has a bad one too. as did King George. but they were not as bad as the Louisa and DInwiddie ones.

Reactions: OCBoy
Orange's is hilarious to me sometimes. He's just up there having a ball. They're down by 40 in the 4th quarter and he cracks jokes like "it's time to start our magical comeback! We've always been a second half team!"

Here are two examples of Blacksburg PA announcer: pushing the concession stand about their chicken wings and then hearing him lick his fingers and when the Blacksburg qb made a nice throw comparing him to Michael Vick.

Every school has things they do, and all have. issues and opportunity’s . And sometimes it’s just the way it is, and what that school does. I hope for a solid clean hard hitting game Saturday . Speaking from a sherando stand point , I hope both sides leave the game healthy and with respect like the last time up at Arrowhead. The young Warriors will give it there all. They have already surpassed what many thought they would be this year. This is a great learning experience for them. Good luck to both teams.

Bauer sparks Warriors’ defense with big plays
NOV 27, 2017

TOMMY KEELER JR.
tkeeler@nvdaily.com

BEALETON — Sherando had to play without Northwestern District Defensive Player of the Year JoJo Doleman due to injury on Friday night — and the Warriors’ defense didn’t miss a beat.

Sherando sophomore linebacker Payne Bauer had a team-best 13 tackles in the Warriors’ 33-21 Region 4C football final over Liberty.

“The (defensive) line they made me get every tackle, because they just do their job,” Bauer said. “And McKinley (Dean), the other inside linebackers that played (Friday), we just communicate because communication is key. And that’s why we won (Friday).”

Dean, a sophomore, and senior Michael Perry combined to fill in for Doleman’s inside linebacker spot. Sherando coach Bill Hall said he was very happy with how they filled in.

However, it was Bauer who came up with several big plays throughout the game.

Perhaps the biggest play Bauer made came on the final play of the first half. Liberty was facing a fourth-and-goal from the Sherando 4-yard line and the Warriors leading 20-7.

The Eagles tried to run wide receiver Markael Gaskins out of the wildcat formation. Bauer, who also had a sack in the game, stuffed Gaskins for a three-yard loss to end the half.

“I just saw an open hole, and I just ran through it,” Bauer said. “And I made the play when (Gaskins) cut back. It felt pretty good.”

Hall said Bauer, who leads the team in tackles this season, does a great job of being aggressive.

“The thing about him is he just pulls the trigger and goes,” Hall said of Bauer. “He didn’t play last year, so it’s kind of like he was so raw. So what you teach him is what he does. He’s just a blank canvas. And he’s done a great job being coached, coachable. And then he just does a great job executing.”

Bauer wasn’t the only linebacker making big plays for the Warriors in the win. Sherando senior Joe Kelliher recovered a Liberty fumble in the first half, which led to a Sherando touchdown.

“We talk about responding to adversity all the time, and that was an adverse situation,” Kelliher said. “And we were just trying to make a play — all of us. And it just ended up bouncing my way.”

The Warriors held Liberty to 288 total yards, and perhaps more importantly they limited the number of big plays the Eagles had.

Sherando had two goal-line stands in the game, both in the first half. Bauer said it showed how much heart the defense had.

“We played pretty good defense,” Bauer said. “Defense wins championships. Two goal-line stands — that’s pretty big. We got it done today.”

Over the top PA Announcers just don't get it. They think they are the show. You're anything but that. Fans are there to watch a game not listen to you. First of all don't do the play by play of the game. Fans can see what's going on. I've heard a PA guy call a reverse before it actually happened on the field! So much for catching the defense off guard. Let the play run it's course then give who ran/caught the ball, who made the tackle and maybe down and distance needed for a first down. No need for personal commentary and let's lose the music between the plays as well (Liberty Bealeton). Here's hoping the PAA's at the state semis and finals will be professional and not think they are the show.

Over the top PA Announcers just don't get it. They think they are the show. You're anything but that. Fans are there to watch a game not listen to you. First of all don't do the play by play of the game. Fans can see what's going on. I've heard a PA guy call a reverse before it actually happened on the field! So much for catching the defense off guard. Let the play run it's course then give who ran/caught the ball, who made the tackle and maybe down and distance needed for a first down. No need for personal commentary and let's lose the music between the plays as well (Liberty Bealeton). Here's hoping the PAA's at the state semis and finals will be professional and not think they are the show.
U must not have been to a finals before because that’s all the guy did in Williamsburg last year was talk talk talk

Amen

Motivated Banks makes impact for Sherando
  • By ROBERT NIEDZWIECKI THE WINCHESTER STAR | The Winchester Star
  • Dec 1, 2017

• 5a20e8a115efd.image.jpg
Sherando’s Aaron Banks has grabbed 55 passes for 960 yards and 12 touchdowns, while also recording 67 tackles and seven interceptions on defense. The receiver/safety will play a key role in Saturday’s Class 4 semifinal against Salem

Ginger Perry/The Winchester Star

STEPHENS CITY — In 2016, Sherando football player Aaron Banks led the area in receptions, ranked second in receiving yards, ranked fourth in interceptions, and was named to the All-Conference 21 West first team on offense and second team on defense.

Banks wasn’t the least bit satisfied.

“I realized that I had been slacking off a lot,” Banks said Tuesday night. “I never really went out and put the extra work in. I did a little bit, but not as much as I could.

“This past year, with my senior year coming up, I came to the realization that I had to do something more to be the player that I wanted to be.”

Based on what Banks has done this year, a lot of current and future Warriors football players are going to want to aspire to be like him.

Motivated by a desire to be a college scholarship athlete, the 5-foot-11, 165-pound Banks has turned in a season for the ages for Sherando.

As a wide receiver, the senior (22 catches, 354 yards and one TD in 2016) has 55 receptions for 960 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2017. The receptions and yards rank second in Sherando’s 25-year school history only to the 58 catches for 1,130 yards that Bo Arthur had in 1996.

As a free safety, Banks has 67 tackles and seven interceptions. That interception total is tied for the fourth-best mark in school history.

The University of Richmond — with defensive coordinator and 1997 Handley High School graduate Adam Braithwaite handling the recruiting — was heavily interested in Banks before he even played a down this season.

Banks has justified that interest, and then some, by playing some of his best football after the Spiders expressed just how much they wanted him. With a full scholarship offer in his possession, Banks is showing just how driven he is to help his team when it needs him the most.

On Nov. 17 — the day after Richmond offered Banks a full scholarship to play defense for the NCAA Division I school — Banks recorded a season-high in catches (10), yards (130) and tackles (16) while also adding a touchdown catch in a 35-32 Region 4C semifinal win over Millbrook.

Then last Friday — two days after Banks told Richmond he was accepting its scholarship offer — Banks set a new career-high with 157 yards (tied for fifth-best in school history) on eight catches. He also caught two TD passes in a game for the third time this season as Sherando defeated Liberty 33-21 for its first region championship in four years.

The Warriors (11-2) will play two-time defending state champion Salem (11-2) at 2 p.m. on Saturday at Salem Stadium for the right to play in the state championship game.

“I’m just so proud of my team,” said Banks of a Sherando team that has won seven straight games since losing to Martinsburg (W.Va.) on Oct. 6 for its second straight defeat. “When we lost to Liberty [on Sept. 22] that was a hard loss, then we lost to Martinsburg. After that we got it in our heads that we couldn’t lose anymore.

“Now everyone’s grinding ever practice. Everyone on the field is going hard. Everyone’s come a long way.”

Banks’ journey began last year with Sherando’s annual goal meetings that Sherando coach Bill Hall has with each player at the end of the season.

“He’s grown in so many different ways,” Hall said. “He’s grown as a person with his commitment level to developing himself. He had some goals that he wanted to achieve, and in order to do that he needed to have greater commitment to his nutrition, his strength and conditioning, his speed, his agility, all those things. He did that, and as a result he’s been very successful.”

A three-sport athlete who plays basketball in the winter, Banks joined the track team this year after previously playing baseball to work on his speed and explosiveness.

But one of the biggest changes that Banks made to improve was teaming up with Conquer & Defeat Training in Winchester. Banks works with Lloyd Phillips, a former NCAA Division II defensive back at Malone University in Canton, Ohio. Banks said he first started working with Phillips in January.

Starting in June, they picked up the intensity of their workouts, meeting three times a week to prepare for summer college camp season.

“He really helped me with my defense and footwork,” said Banks of Phillips. “We’d be on the track, work out for an hour and a half, two hours. We just went hard at everything I did to make sure I was ready for the next level. He would tell me, ‘Once you get to the next level, people aren’t going to take it easy. You’ve got to go hard every time.’”

Banks started the summer with a camp in which he said he ran a 4.34 40-yard dash at Old Dominion University, and from there Banks also went to camps at James Madison, Richmond and William & Mary.

Banks felt he improved over the course of the summer through his experiences against good competition, and Banks came into the Sherando season ready for a bigger role.

On offense, Banks wasn’t needed much in the first three games as Sherando rolled to victories (two total catches — both against James Wood — for a total of 28 yards).

But against 2016 playoff participant Loudoun Valley on Sept. 15, Sherando quarterback Hunter Entsminger knew Banks would have to be involved. Banks had five catches for 127 yards and two TDs in a 50-20 win. (Banks also chipped in TDs on an 55-yard interception return and 88-yard kickoff return for a four-TD game.)

In a 10-game stretch starting with that Loudoun Valley game, Banks has had at least three catches, 57 yards and one TD in every game except the Region 4C quarterfinal game against Dominion, and his lone catch went for 48 yards in that contest.

What makes Banks so difficult to defend is that he can hurt the defense whether the play calls for a short, intermediate or deep throw because of his speed and increased strength (he improved his bench press 20 pounds to 205 this summer) and precise route-running.

“If you play him too tight, he can beat you over the top,” Hall said. “If you don’t play him tight enough, he can hurt you in quick game. From a defensive perspective, it’s hard to game plan for him.”

Banks put on a clinic against Liberty last week.

He took a couple of short passes in space near the line of scrimmage and made multiple defenders grasp at air while he recorded big gains (47 and 37 yards, though he fumbled on the 37-yarder).

“We have a bunch of plays, run-pass options that are centered around him,” Entsminger said. “I can either give it to [running back] T.J. [Washington], or I can give it to Aaron.

“I know that if I give to Aaron we’re going to get at least three, four yards, if not 20. You’ve seen it the last couple of games, just little smoke routes that we throw, him getting big yards. That sets the tone for our pass game and just really adds another dimension to [our offense].”

Banks also beat defenders with his route running off the line of scrimmage for touchdowns, scoring from 22 yards out on a post pattern and reaching high to haul in a eight-yard TD pass on a slant as part of his night.

“I like when [defenders] press me,” Banks said. “It makes it a lot easier for me to just make one move and get past them. My speed helps out. And if they’re sagging off, then it’s still good. I just get on top of them and make my move.”

Banks’ defensive importance to the Warriors can’t be emphasized enough.

Banks played cornerback for Sherando his sophomore and junior years, and Hall said that’s where he’ll likely play in college.

But the Warriors needed him to play safety this year, and he’s thrived. Banks has 20 more tackles than last year, and the Loudoun Valley game is one of three in which he has two interceptions this year, with Martinsburg and Dominion as the others.

“It was what was best for Sherando football,” Hall said. “When you build your defense, you build it down the middle of the field. He can cover so much space, he can cover sideline to sideline, and he does a good job of playing downhill.”

Banks said it’s actually been easier for him to play safety, because he can use his knowledge of the game to read how plays are developing, then use his speed and athleticism to react to what’s happening.

While Banks is having one of the greatest receiving seasons in Sherando history this season, it fills him with immense pride to see what the Warriors are doing on defense. Sherando has forced 35 turnovers and given up 17.6 points per game (down from 22.0 last year) and 242.6 yards per game (down from 289.3 last year).

“I just love when it’s a close game and you’ve got to rely on the defense,” Banks said. “Against Liberty, when they got down to the 1 right before the half and [made them turn it over on downs], that was crazy. Those are the moments I live for on defense. I love defense.”

Banks is looking forward to playing defense at the college level, too.

Banks doesn’t have a major in mind yet, but his commitment to football is giving him a great place to sort out his options.

“I was just looking for a way to get college paid for,” said Banks when asked what pushed him to work harder at football. “When I was at [the Spiders’] last game against William & Mary, they said they focus on academics, football, then more academics. I’m all about that. You definitely need to get an education first.”

— Contact Robert Niedzwiecki at rniedzwiecki@winchesterstar.com Follow on Twitter @WinStarSports1

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT