ADVERTISEMENT

Sherando vs. Fort Hill (MD)

Shruikan

VaPreps Varsity
Nov 2, 2010
This Friday the Warriors face the 2-time defending state champions out of Cumberland, Maryland. Coming into this season, the Sentinels (5-1) had won 30 straight games over 3 seasons. That streak was snapped in the second week of the season in a narrow loss against a top 5 Keyser team out of West Virginia.

Two weeks ago, Sherando had a tougher-than-expected against James Wood, but even with five starters out the Warriors came away with the win. They followed it up with a 51-0 massacre of winless Handley.

Fort Hill has a powerful offense, having put up an average of 51.2 points on their opponents this year. Meanwhile, the Sherando defense has been smothering teams all year, giving up just 8.4 points a game.

I don't think Fort Hill is going to be held to under 10 points, but I also don't think they'll be getting anywhere near the half century mark. If Sherando wants to win this game, they're going to have to come out on offense and put up some big numbers while doing what they've done all year on defense.

I'll take Sherando winning 28-21.

They were two-time state champions in the smallest classification with now current Maryland running back Ty Johnson. Still a good team, but real Sherando beats them. The team that played James Wood would lose, though.

How many of the linemen that missed the Wood game will be back and healthy this week?

Ok this is a mistake, Sherando wasn't missing 5 linemen. 2 linemen were missing that play both ways. another linemen (2 way)! played but really shouldn't was injured. One LB/FB who plays both ways was missing. Another LB/TE was used sparingly becuase of injury . As far the James wood game goes, it was wet, Sherando didn't play inspired football and they almost payed for it, I don't think that one game has much affect on this at all now, hopefully it was a wake up call. These are kids, and when you demolish the same team almost every year. They can get complacent in easy district games. James wood played inspired football, hats off to them. But it's still a W for Sherando in the end. all players as far as I know have returned and they know who is coming to Arrowhead . If they lose its on them. I expect a great game , very physical just like we like it and Sherando will wear em down late. I will go with 34-28 Sherando. This Fort hill is not like your average 800 student team in Virginia. If I was to compare them to a team , they would be the Phoebus of Maryland. Most West Virginia teams won't play them, even Martinsburg and Fort Hill haven't played in a while. In that series, Forthill has a decisive victory advantage. Can't wait to see this game, it's going to be maybe one of the largest crowds ever a Arrowhead stadium.

Good post. I am just asking Sherando to take out their frustrations on Fort Hill, and not on Skyline the next week. Another word of warning, the field was just as wet when Millbrook ran circles(sometimes literally) around Skyline.

If Fort Hill is to lose this is the year to get them... They're a very young team with some good skill kids.... Brown will probably be the fastest kid Sherando sees all year... Their defense concerns me... Next year they should be a top 5 Maryland team public or private regardless of classification.... And I don't see anyone coming close.

..... . If they lose its on them. I expect a great game , very physical just like we like it and Sherando will wear em down late. I will go with 34-28 Sherando. This Fort hill is not like your average 800 student team in Virginia. If I was to compare them to a team , they would be the Phoebus of Maryland. Most West Virginia teams won't play them, even Martinsburg and Fort Hill haven't played in a while. In that series, Forthill has a decisive victory advantage. Can't wait to see this game, it's going to be maybe one of the largest crowds ever a Arrowhead stadium.

Dang, now I have a conundrum...Watch my Clarke team beat up on a first year team, or hop over the county line to watch a potential barn burner. Even though I didn't go to Clarke, my daughter, my wife and most of her family went to Clarke, so I gotta support the fam...but DANG!!! (Ooops, no pun intended!!) :)

Ok this is a mistake, Sherando wasn't missing 5 linemen. 2 linemen were missing that play both ways. another linemen (2 way)! played but really shouldn't was injured. One LB/FB who plays both ways was missing. Another LB/TE was used sparingly becuase of injury . As far the James wood game goes, it was wet, Sherando didn't play inspired football and they almost payed for it, I don't think that one game has much affect on this at all now, hopefully it was a wake up call. These are kids, and when you demolish the same team almost every year. They can get complacent in easy district games. James wood played inspired football, hats off to them. But it's still a W for Sherando in the end. all players as far as I know have returned and they know who is coming to Arrowhead . If they lose its on them. I expect a great game , very physical just like we like it and Sherando will wear em down late. I will go with 34-28 Sherando. This Fort hill is not like your average 800 student team in Virginia. If I was to compare them to a team , they would be the Phoebus of Maryland. Most West Virginia teams won't play them, even Martinsburg and Fort Hill haven't played in a while. In that series, Forthill has a decisive victory advantage. Can't wait to see this game, it's going to be maybe one of the largest crowds ever a Arrowhead stadium.

Two observations;

That kid does not run a 4.29 forty. Get real, he got hawked a few times in his junior highlight film. Don't get me wrong, he appears to be a fine player, probably scholarship level talent, but no way he's 4.29 fast.

Fort Hill & Phoebus are not comparable. Different schemes, different demographics, different opponents, different skill levels in their respective areas.

If Sherando plays the way they are capable of playing, I'll take them by two scores or more.

Two observations;

That kid does not run a 4.29 forty. Get real, he got hawked a few times in his junior highlight film. Don't get me wrong, he appears to be a fine player, probably scholarship level talent, but no way he's 4.29 fast.

Fort Hill & Phoebus are not comparable. Different schemes, different demographics, different opponents, different skill levels in their respective areas.

If Sherando plays the way they are capable of playing, I'll take them by two scores or more.
Ran 4.29 at Tennessee summer camp and a 4.31 at WVU summer camp. If FH plays the way they are capable, FH by 3 scores. Let me know after the game Friday how fast you think he is.

Reactions: FortHillFan89
Ran 4.29 at Tennessee summer camp and a 4.31 at WVU summer camp. If FH plays the way they are capable, FH by 3 scores. Let me know after the game Friday how fast you think he is.

This game has the potential to be a much better game than you would believe. Win or lose it will be a great one.

How good is the Sentinel defense? I haven't seen them play before and am unfamiliar with the strength of their opponents. Glad to have FH fans around so it's not all speculation.

Well coached, young, strong, and quick. What they give up in size they make up in strength and speed. It is going to be a challenge make no mistake. They will be ready and hungry. What they learn here should help them post season for a title run.

I'm not saying he is not fast. I've said he's likely a scholarship player. I'm saying I don't see 4.29 speed on his highlight tape. You guys realize a lot of these camps they hand time the 40s right? We've had a handful of 4.2ish 40s in the NFL combine. No way do I believe this HS kid is that fast. Again I'm not trying to downplay this kid as he is clearly talented without a doubt but more trying to get you guys to be realistic and not over hype his speed. Good Luck to Fort Hill and Mr. Brown in college. With another year of high school he's going to go somewhere Power 5.

How good is the Sentinel defense? I haven't seen them play before and am unfamiliar with the strength of their opponents. Glad to have FH fans around so it's not all speculation.
4 seniors on defense the rest underclassman with 2 0r 3 sophmores starting. The only thing that worries me is they are very young and have only been tested twice this year. Good luck. looking forward to coming down.

I don't know if Sherando has ever played a team like this. From everything I can find, it's kind of like playing TCU. They will put up points. It's whether or not they can take the pounding Sherando will bring on every play. If the Warriors can keep them from running away quickly, I feel they can wear FH down.

I won't predict a winner but I sure wish I could go to this one. GL to both.

4 seniors on defense the rest underclassman with 2 0r 3 sophmores starting. The only thing that worries me is they are very young and have only been tested twice this year. Good luck. looking forward to coming down.
I've been around high school football in a number of states over the years, from Texas to Georgia and on up here to Virginia, and several points in between. One constant I've noticed everywhere is the tendency of fans to lie (or believe what they hear) about the 40 times of the players on the teams they support.

Both teams I'm sure have been scouted heavily so no real reason to lie about anything.
Not saying it's a lie, just that people exaggerate a lot.
BTW, have you ever noticed how elite college players, more often than not at NFL combines, don't come close to their fastest reported times? Just sayin'.

I heard one was laser timed. Does that sound correct? It doesn't matter. We will see what each other are about Friday night and conclusions can be drawn from there.

I guess my response to the whole forty time is even if it is 4.59 it is still fast. I guarantee you most every high school program has misleading height and weight attached to the players. I know this is kind of off topic but Lonny Baxter from the Maryland NCAA basketball championship team was listed at 6'9. His pro day came and he was measured at 6'5". Exaggerating stuff is what makes arguments regarding sports so much fun.

Agreed. Like I said it is what it is. I didn't come up with times. The kid just wants to go to college somewhere and better himself. What they clock him at is on them. Peace.

What type of offense does FH play. Do they feature a tendency to get this young man to the outside? Or do they like to have him hit a hole quickly? I don't see this having much success, if otrying to move Sherando's interior linemen out the way for quick hitters.

Hey ClarkeFan, it looks like you are using good judgement on your travel choices.:(:(:( Maybe not the best game, but the best choice in the long term. (I commend you)!

I feel this should be a great game. Since living in Virginia I have never seen Sherando play but they are a quality football program. At one time I lived in Cumberland and I know first hand that if Fort Hill is what they were 20 years ago then Sherando better be ready to play. If not they will get beat. Those Cumberland teams were always well coached, disciplined and played with that tradition or pride in their school. I actually miss watching them and Allegany play. Do they still play on that last Saturday of the season at Greenway? What a spectacle for high school football. I think everybody in Cumberland goes to that game and there were times when both were undefeated. It has all the feel of some state championship games. Just wondering if their enrollment has dropped. I noticed that they no longer play Martinsburg or some of the other West Virginia schools. Best of luck to Fort Hill.

Yeah our population has plummeted. While still a larger 1a school in MD it is continually dropping in enrollment. Good jobs are scarce.

Not saying it's a lie, just that people exaggerate a lot.
BTW, have you ever noticed how elite college players, more often than not at NFL combines, don't come close to their fastest reported times? Just sayin'.
A simple formula: Alabama Crimson Tide + New Eng Patriots = Fort Hill Sentinels LOL...

Hey ClarkeFan, it looks like you are using good judgement on your travel choices.:(:(:( Maybe not the best game, but the best choice in the long term. (I commend you)!

Well...it is homecoming, so there's that. I went to Osbourn, graduated in '83. Wife graduated from Clarke in '83. Both mascots are Eagles, so technically, I'm not cheating!

Okay, time for the hip waders! It's getting deep!
Funny... I played @ Fort Hill, and have lived in NOVA since '83. Son is a head coach at a FFX high school, so I'm familiar with both FH and Sherando. I'm not going to my son's game to go to the FH / Sherando game. That's how good I believe this game will be, IMHO...

I'm not saying he is not fast. I've said he's likely a scholarship player. I'm saying I don't see 4.29 speed on his highlight tape. You guys realize a lot of these camps they hand time the 40s right? We've had a handful of 4.2ish 40s in the NFL combine. No way do I believe this HS kid is that fast. Again I'm not trying to downplay this kid as he is clearly talented without a doubt but more trying to get you guys to be realistic and not over hype his speed. Good Luck to Fort Hill and Mr. Brown in college. With another year of high school he's going to go somewhere Power 5.
I really don't pay too much attention to these 40 times. In HS, they're not close to actuals.

Here's the deal to give you perspective. I'm sure this guy is fast. Not saying otherwise but here is a video of a HS player I've put up more than once. He did go D1 and did well. His best NFL combine time was 4.42. If you think he's faster than Stevie, you've really got something at FH.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT