ADVERTISEMENT

Should VHSL just crown LCA 3A state Champs?

LCA is unlikely to have much, if any, more depth than Hopewell. In theory, it's their one weakness but nobody has actually been able to punish them for it yet. If Salem played them late in the season the potential might have been there but Salem's offense hadn't come together yet (QB playing in his first game with a new team, new offense) and Salem wasn't able to really drag them up and down the field enough times for depth to start to matter.

Hopewell's best chance is to try and grind the entire game out. Get 10 plays minimum per drive and just wear them out. Doing that also wins you TOP and keeps Davidson off the field.
Not sure why more teams don't do this especially if they recognize that their opponent can score quickly.

LCA is favored by Calpreps over Lafayette and Brentsville District by 18 points and these 2 are the closest of any two teams in Class 3. They are favored by more than 20 points by Calpreps over Hopewell and Magna Vista. Can never award the trophy yet. Have to win it on the field, but it looks like LCA is not just a favorite, but a huge favorite according to the computers, and the computers still miss, but late in the season, Calpreps missing by 20 points is extremely uncommon. If I were a betting man, I would take LCA vs the Field this year all day long

Reactions: SFUWO
KING GEORGE WILL BE A GAME FOR ABOUT A HALF BEFORE PHOEBUS DEFENSE STARTS TO TAKE OVER. PHOEBUS 35 KING GEORGE 21.

As much as I have heard about this private, recruiting school; LCA since they faced Phoebus I have yet to find their name listed among Virginia state football champions. Have they won a state championship in Virginia? If so, my apologies. They will need to win on the field the same way Riverheads, Salem, Lake Taylor, Lafayette, Westfield and every state champion on that long list. Ask the Stone Bridge Bulldogs about fighting through adversity in order to finger that trophy. At one point they were 1-6 against the East region with a losing state finals record, but today! All they talk about is last second walk off touchdown receptions with Springers and Commodores grasping for air. Let LCA best a team in the finals, on the field, in regulation and let’s hear their head football coach give his opponent some credit for playing a good game when his hometown homer television station sticks the mic his face. And no crying! Crown that.

• Haha
Reactions: VolNation85
As much as I have heard about this private, recruiting school; LCA since they faced Phoebus I have yet to find their name listed among Virginia state football champions. Have they won a state championship in Virginia? If so, my apologies. They will need to win on the field the same way Riverheads, Salem, Lake Taylor, Lafayette, Westfield and every state champion on that long list. Ask the Stone Bridge Bulldogs about fighting through adversity in order to finger that trophy. At one point they were 1-6 against the East region with a losing state finals record, but today! All they talk about is last second walk off touchdown receptions with Springers and Commodores grasping for air. Let LCA best a team in the finals, on the field, in regulation and let’s hear their head football coach give his opponent some credit for playing a good game when his hometown homer television station sticks the mic his face. And no crying! Crown that.
Yep didn't give the Phantoms a bit of credit after that game I remember seeing that on the local news here. He's definitely arrogant as hell but a heck of a coach though.

Reactions: Kenneth Harris
Class 3 championship is all but LCA's to lose since Phoebus moved up to Class 4 this year. I know crazier things have happened but none of the remaining Class 3 teams are within 2 TDs of a full strength LCA team.

Class 3 championship is all but LCA's to lose since Phoebus moved up to Class 4 this year. I know crazier things have happened but none of the remaining Class 3 teams are within 2 TDs of a full strength LCA team.
Even though I love predicting winners I would like to see LCA actually go about the process of winning the Class 3 title after 4 quarters of football on the field. I am certain they haven’t achieved that once since I first heard about them in 2021. Even if Byrd loses they might still soften them up a bit for District or Lafayette. We’ll see how it plays out.

Reactions: VolNation85
Even though I love predicting winners I would like to see LCA actually go about the process of winning the Class 3 title after 4 quarters of football on the field. I am certain they haven’t achieved that once since I first heard about them in 2021. Even if Byrd loses they might still soften them up a bit for District or Lafayette. We’ll see how it plays out.
LCA won several VISAA Championships before they joined VHSL in 2015. They have only made it to 1 VHSL championship game in football when they lost to Phoebus.

In my opinion, LCA was a better team than Phoebus that year but Phoebus was the better team that day, when it mattered most. Which supports your argument that it doesn't matter until they win it on the field.

Last edited:
LCA won several VIAAA Championships before they joined VHSL in 2015. They have only made it to 1 VHSL championship game in football when they lost to Phoebus.

In my opinion, LCA was a better team than Phoebus that year but Phoebus was the better team that day, when it mattered most. Which supports your argument that it doesn't matter until they win it on the field.
As with any team in Virginia I congratulate them on winning championships. It is never easy. I felt like when they played Phoebus that there was some thinking that they had it all wrapped up before the kickoff. Anyone that has been watching Phoebus as long as I have will tell you that since Phoebus started winning titles they treated LCA to the same defense frustrates the offense with a bend but don’t beak policy they used for many of the years when they faced adversity with great opponents but came out on top. I don’t think it was ever going to be easy for LCA to step up to playing our public schools and just win because they are better. Now, if I sound like I don’t like LCA, I did not like the attitude of their coach after they were beaten by the Phantoms. If a team gets multiple interceptions on you I believe you have to give those players a nod during your on air interview or eat your hat.

Reactions: wikki and SFUWO
As with any team in Virginia I congratulate them on winning championships. It is never easy. I felt like when they played Phoebus that there was some thinking that they had it all wrapped up before the kickoff. Anyone that has been watching Phoebus as long as I have will tell you that since Phoebus started winning titles they treated LCA to the same defense frustrates the offense with a bend but don’t beak policy they used for many of the years when they faced adversity with great opponents but came out on top. I don’t think it was ever going to be easy for LCA to step up to playing our public schools and just win because they are better. Now, if I sound like I don’t like LCA, I did not like the attitude of their coach after they were beaten by the Phantoms. If a team gets multiple interceptions on you I believe you have to give those players a nod during your on air interview or eat your hat.
LCA just now became competitive on the state level in the Spring 2020 season. The first 4-5 that they were in VHSL they never won more than 7 games. People just now started complaining about them within the last 3 years because they are having some success at the state level.

LCA just now became competitive on the state level in the Spring 2020 season. The first 4-5 that they were in VHSL they never won more than 7 games. People just now started complaining about them within the last 3 years because they are having some success at the state level.
Hate. That is confusing. If they are following the rules set for them I welcome their challenge and I love the history of Virginia high school football. I think the match between LCA and Phoebus was set up by the elusive football Gods and will be more appreciated as time goes by. Imagine if we could go back to when Julius Jones was busting heads at Powell Valley and get a match up with them and the Hampton Crabbers of the late 90s featuring Ronald Curry! I still was very impressed with former Cleveland Brown; Lee Suggs, but I think William Fleming was overmatched into supreme frustration. I do think that unsportsmanlike behavior emanates from interpersonal relationships with coaching staffs and parents so the postgame interview with the LCA head coach never sat well with me. It’s one or two steps below the blunder of 1996. If LCA is a 2-3 touchdowns above their competition then the competition should take a page from Phoebus, Oscar Smith, Lake Taylor and Maury and start playing like the Crabbers.

There is an important distinction between Lynchburg-area vs state-wide folks, because some locals saw the current state of affairs coming down the tracks years ago & have been complaining about the competitive dynamics in play the whole time.

LCA won several VIAAA Championships before they joined VHSL in 2015. They have only made it to 1 VHSL championship game in football when they lost to Phoebus.

Is a VIAAA championship one of those things you can win playing like 11 games? I swear VES in Lynchburg won it one year playing a total of 10-11 games.

Is a VIAAA championship one of those things you can win playing like 11 games? I swear VES in Lynchburg won it one year playing a total of 10-11 games.

North Cross won their division's state title like two weeks ago. I think it's typically just two wins to nab state.

Yeah. ViSAA is a joke. Too many divisions for so few teams.
There's only two divisions for football now that many of the smaller schools have switched to eight-man. I think the level of play in upper division has improved since the era when LCA was dominating.

There is an important distinction between Lynchburg-area vs state-wide folks, because some locals saw the current state of affairs coming down the tracks years ago & have been complaining about the competitive dynamics in play the whole time.
You are correct. I think those people are more in tune with the competitive dynamics than the average fan. My statement was a generalization about the average fan.

To answer the question posed by this thread. The answer "Yes. Yes they should." Insofar as they are going to yard stomp their next two opponents (sorry Byrd).

LCA is favored by Calpreps over Lafayette and Brentsville District by 18 points and these 2 are the closest of any two teams in Class 3. They are favored by more than 20 points by Calpreps over Hopewell and Magna Vista. Can never award the trophy yet. Have to win it on the field, but it looks like LCA is not just a favorite, but a huge favorite according to the computers, and the computers still miss, but late in the season, Calpreps missing by 20 points is extremely uncommon. If I were a betting man, I would take LCA vs the Field this year all day long
Are we talking the Hopewell Blue Devils that lost at home to the Heritage Hurricanes that lost the Phoebus Phantoms, Warwick Raiders and Hampton Crabbers 129-12 Hopewell Blue Devils?

This is true Hopewell lost to Heritage of Newport News. This is what happens when you under estimate your opponent. Heritage then gets crushed by Lafayette 49-0 the next game. No excuses Hopewell had 4 turnovers in that game but still you have to play like a number 1 seed.

This is true Hopewell lost to Heritage of Newport News. This is what happens when you under estimate your opponent. Heritage then gets crushed by Lafayette 49-0 the next game. No excuses Hopewell had 4 turnovers in that game but still you have to play like a number 1 seed.
Sometimes things happen in the playoffs that are on par with aliens landing on the south lawn of the White House.

Reactions: 10iceiceice
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT