ADVERTISEMENT

Sideline warning during timeout

spartan2005

VaPreps Rookie
Dec 11, 2004
in a game Friday night, coach calls time out and walks onto the field obviously upset with officials for some reason and is having a heated discussion with them from a distance of at least 10 yards. Don't know what was said or why. Officials were standing together on the field but not huddled discussing a play. One throws a flag and when timeout is over, the call is dead ball sideline warning on the team who called the time out. How do you get a sideline warning during a timeout?

I'm anxious to hear the replies to this. Which begs the question..., "what has to occur for a sideline warning penalty?"

9-8-3: A nonplayer shall not be outside his team box unless to become a player or to return as a replaced player. A maximum of three coaches may be in the restricted area. No player, nonplayer or coach shall be in the restricted area when the ball is live.

First offense – warning,
Second offense – 5 yards,
Each subsequent offense – 15 yard unsportsmanlike foul charged to the offender

Coaches are nonplayers by definition. This is the rule book’s wording for a sideline warning (first offense). In order to avoid giving the coach an unsportsmanlike for poor behavior, some officials decide to use the sideline warning foul to send the same message that he is walking on thin ice. Usually they go this route if he just barely crosses “the line” with what he’s saying or doing. Egregious unsportsmanlike behavior will warrant a 15 yarder every time. Coaches know when they get a sideline warning for antics like this that they could’ve gotten 15 yards. Whether you think the sideline warning rule can’t be stretched to fit this or whether you think it’s a valuable tool to send a much needed message to a coach stepping out of line without necessarily affecting the game, is up to your interpretation.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
That is why I asked you for some insight. I figured that the rule about a sideline warning could be stretched a little for exactly the reasons you stated. That is simply using good common sense to accomplish what you are trying to accomplish.

I got pulled by a police officer in Prince George County for speeding years ago. No argument that I was speeding, and was ready for a ticket. Instead, he told me why the speed limit was lowered down that road, (curvy with lots of school bus stops), and just asked me to slow down so that the kids would be safe. That is the best ticket I never got. It taught me to think a little more when driving. And it reminded me that the rules are not arbitrary, but proffered for a reason.

When you officials get that same opportunity, it's a better message than a yardage penalty. I commend you.

Thinking back on it, there could have been more than 3 coaches in the restricted area. Head coach was on the field and there may have been 3 others on the field talking to players. Everybody thought it was going to be an unsportsmanlike foul and was surprised at the sideline warning but the explanation makes sense. Any way the call had gone would have made zero difference in the game. Thanks for the explanation!

The only reason to call a sideline warning during a timeout is for just the exact reason above. It's a way to avoid an unsportsmanlike flag when, realistically, that's what could be called. It's a case of an official using the rules to apply discretion, yet send a message.

I had one this season for the same reason (although not during a timeout) where a coach was upset and came stomping on the field to voice his displeasure. My decision to make it a sideline warning came in the interval between the time the flag hit the ground and I had to give the signal to the pressbox.

Earlier this season I was told that Henrico received a penalty before the opening KO. I heard that the visiting Henrico Warriors stuck their spear in the center of the Highland Springs field when they initially took the field.

What possible penalty would have been called, and what yardage would have been marked off?

That's unsportsmanlike contact, all day long. It's an intent to provoke hostilities. It has no football purpose, It's obviously disrespectful and can be considered taunting. I wonder if this was charged to the player or the head coach.

The yardage is marked off on the opening kickoff.

The officials assume control of a contest 20 minutes before kickoff. In this time there could be penalties for unsportsmanlike on the field -- even ejections are possible. If there is a fight, or even contact that is deemed a personal foul, it can all be penalized.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Have you personally ever had to take any of these actions in that 20 minute pre-game period?

Is there a period at the conclusion of the game that it's still in your control?

Never had a fight or anything like that well before the game, but I had a unsportsmanlike at a coin toss -- actually as the captains broke back toward their sidelines on shouted a very profane threat at the other team. That was about 20 years ago.

Also sometime about the same time we started a game with a delay of game penalty, although it could've (should've) been an unsportsmanlike conduct foul. It was a case of a very good team was on the road playing a struggling team. It was cold and rainy and the visitors were not given much of a place to go so they were out there in the weather after warm-ups waiting in the rain. The home coach decided to play some gamesmanship and kept his team inside. The captains finally came out, but no team. It was time to kick off but the home team hadn't showed up yet. The visitors were most unhappy. Not sure the hoped-for result, but the visiting team took out its anger by thrashing the home team, as was expected all along.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT