ADVERTISEMENT

SMACKING THE BACKBOARD

Dec 7, 2010
Isn't it a technical foul to smack the backboard just for the sake of smacking the backboard or in an effort to stop a basket? From what I have read, it is not goaltending (not really sure why), but I think it should be a technical foul.

Two years in a row I have seen this happen where a player shoots a layup and a defender just smacks the crap out of the backboard as the ball is on the rim. Both times the ball did not go in, but probably would have had the rattling backboard caused the miss.

I can somewhat understand why it wouldn't be goaltending as it might be impossible to accurately assess. But I also think one of the refs on the floor should be able to distinguish between a player attempting a blocked shot and one who is just smacking the backboard.

Also, I would assume if there is no technical foul, then this must be a change, becuase I have personally been T'd up for this offense, but of course this was when we were still using peach baskets.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

It the smack is an attempt to block a shot then it is nothing. If it is showboating then it is a T. It is a judgement deal. I feel like you in it should be an automatic goaltend if a shot is attempted .

I have seen accidental smacks, but I have seen intentional smacks. any intentional smack should be a "T"

Rule book: 10-3-4 Case Book: 10.3.4 for those of you keeping score
happy.gif

I have called a T once in the last ten years for smacking the backboard, I heard the coach tell the kid, you finally found a ref. that would call the T on you. Now have a seat for a few minutes.

and one..or two

What's tricky (and called differently across the board I'm afraid) is when the board is contacted in an intentional manner by the defense on a made basket. Are you going to count it and call the T?

Re: and one..or two

Unless the rule has changed since I quit blowing the whistle, whether the basket is made or not has no determination in calling the T. The rule, as I remember it states that a player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul. Basket made has no bearing on the call. If the rule has changed please let me know. Thanks

HRef, I don't think anything has changed rule wise since you (and I) quit the whistle, but your comment and bowlingref's is why I said it seems to be called differently across the board. While I can find nothing in a current rule book or case book to back this up, I was always led to believe that we (ref) should not call a T if the shot is made, feeling the punishment too harsh in a possible 6-7 point swing. Maybe it's one of those unwritten interps over the years that's loosely enforced. Having said that, I think I could pass on most backboard contact (basket made), unless it was grossly unsporting, such as well after the shot or simply out of frustration, attention seeking, etc. Might have to whack him for that
happy.gif

I think the bottom line is this. If it's severe enough to draw a T, then the consequences of that T is immaterial. Now don't get me wrong, I think it's a chickensh*t call UNLESS it is VERY flagrant. I maybe have made that call in 25 years of officiating, but I sure dont remember if I did. As I posted on another subject earlier, technical fouls are to be called to improve the game and I always used that as a basis on whether to call a T or not (unless of course there was some rules technicality where it HAD to be called ie 6 players on the floor, improper numbering in the score book, etc.)

Isn't that a technicality? A guys shoots a layup, it is boucing on the rim and a defender smacks the backboard causing the basket to vilently shake and the ball pops away from the rim? It is not goaltending as far as the rule book I read, but it is clearly "something", and from what I am reading here, it isn't really defined. The run of the mill smacking the backboard "out of frustration" is no different than slamming the ball to the floor. Refs make the decision how worthy that is of a technical. If a guy is mad at himself and slams the ball down in wa way that it doesn't go too far away, it usually isn't a tech, in the same way, if a guy gets beat on defense and smacks the board after or while a guy making a layup, again, probably doesn't need a technical, maybe a warning. Those don't seem to be worthy of a gamechanger like a tech. But if a guy is clearly trying to alter a shot on the rim. This guy had no shot at blocking the shot, and the result was no different than if he had just snatched it off the rim. There should be a rule, either it is goaltending or it is a technical foul.... it doesn't need to be both. I understand why a ref would prefer the technical over the goaltending call, but I think there should be more clarification on this situation. It seems guys are bigger and leap higher now and so they allow more of this behavior, but it seemed fine "back in the day" that if you did it, it was a technical, regarless of the situation. Kind of like the way the hanging on the rim rule has devolved.

In your description, you use the words "guy had no shot at blocking the shot" as in he contacts the board well after the shot attempt, such that most refs would view this play NOT an attempt to block the shot. This SHOULD be called a T, but again there is much judgment involved, not unlike most basketball plays the guys in stripes have to decide on. Just curious, did you see such a play recently that leads to your question?

Yeah, I saw it last week, and I saw it late in the season last year. Those two were basket-shaking, obvious shot altering smacks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT