ADVERTISEMENT

Snow surprises first three Augusta County games

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
It started to snow here in the 4:00 range, and even though the news says that nobody got more than an inch and a half, it looked worse than that at all three of the streamed games. I juggled back and forth and based on what I could see, Rockbridge's home game had the least amount of snow whereas Waynesboro and Stuarts Draft's games, being only five miles apart, seemed about the same.

The players probably enjoyed it immensely and judging by some of the highlights on the news, it did not appear to slow down the offenses very much as there were some big-play scores of 60 or more yards. In case you have not already read, Rockbridge and Stuarts Draft posted shutouts, knocking off Fort Defiance and Glenvar respectively by scores of 15-0 and 27-0. The losing teams to their credit put up a fight as the Indians had a long run down to the three yard line but could not punch it in and Glenvar had a long touchdown called back on a block in the back penalty.

In the remaining game, Wilson broke away from an 8-8 tie, scoring with 11 seconds before the break, and then poured it on the second half to whip Waynesboro 35-8. The story behind the story of that game was each team breaking in a new coach so Drew Bugden (sp.?) got his first victory as the Hornet coach. They will try to build on that win with a trip to Riverheads next week for each team's Shenandoah opener.

As for the livestreams tonight, I would be curious to find out how they looked for other viewers. I personally had the same problem I had for the entire basketball season, as my computer feed froze up constantly, to the point that I gave up and used my cell phone to watch the games. I was pleased to see that each of the three host schools had a good PA announcer that helped things along. That was important because only the Rockbridge game showed a scoreboard superimposed on the screen. For the other two games you had to wait for the announcer to give the score.

I also found it odd that all three games were in black and white. Yet you could see flashes of color such as on signs rimming the field. How do those observations compare to what the rest of you saw, so I can start to wonder if maybe my computer is at fault?

Three more games tomorrow and hopefully I have done a better job of picking those winners, as I only got one of these three right tonight. So hopefully my Gladiators will come through with a win over Tazewell, and Buffalo Gap can topple Luray and East Rock will bounce back to handle Staunton.

To show you what a weird season we are having, there will also be the usual array of college basketball on the tube Saturday and UVa is in Chapel Hill this weekend for the season-opening ACC series on the baseball diamond. Only during a pandemic could you have all three major sports going on at the same time!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT