ADVERTISEMENT

So who is the team to beat??

BigHokieFan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Apr 26, 2009
There wasnt anything unexpected friday night from either the east or the west. Looking at the East it appears that there will be some major battles to move on.

-Brunswick seems to really be clicking now that they are finally healthy and are playing much better than there record indicates. They really have the capability to win out

-Riverheads is staying the coarse doing what they do, smack people in the teeth and keep on wearing teams out with their physical play. I can see Riverheads back in the semi's

-Goochland may be a team that noone really wants to play because of the how well other teams know each other. Seems they are always giving other teams all they can handle. Could they be the ones repping the East?

-Clark is the one I dont know much about. Although I dont see Nottoway giving them much of a fight. Hearsay is that they didnt play some of the top teams like Wilson and Riverheads did. Not sure if thats the case or not.

- Wilson is arguably one of the toughest outs of anyone. Battle tested and very consistant at what they do. That makes for a very good football program and not sure who would be the team to take them down.

As for the west to me it doesnt appear to be as loaded top to bottom like the east. Only a couple of teams really stand out to me. The others im not sure about at this point. I know anyone can be beat on a given night but it just has the look that there is a big dropoff after Gate City and Giles.

-Marion could be the sleeper in this. Marion has beat some very good teams and is looking as if they are gaining momentum down this strech.

-Union is a very good football team but it looks like the Lonesome Pine was not as tough as it once was. So i am not sure how stroing they really are. That alone scares me though because its usually the quiet ones that sneak up on ya and beat ya.

- Gate City held the #1 spot for a while in the west until they had a bye week at the end of the season. They beat everyone and appear to be fully loaded. Scary scary team in my opinion

-Giles seems to be clicking pretty good on all cylinders and are the defending champs. It will be a tough out for sure. The thing that i see is they havent really been tested all season. It can go 1 of 2 ways. 1) they are well rested or 2) how will they respond to adversity and are they prepared for that. Top seed and looking very very tough.

-Buckingham to me could be the team that burns ya. Gate city better be ready or Buckingham will move on. To me Buckingham might be playing better ball than most. Whoever wins this weekend could possibly rep the West in the finals

-Richlands seem to have come on here recently. Started off slow but appear to have things working good for them. Thats what teams hopefor when they get to the playoffs. I dont see them as a darkhorse though.

My opinion only best teams out there are:

East: Wilson, Goochland, Riverheads, Brunswick, Clarke (no order) rnd 3 should be very very very interesting
West Giles, Gate City, I dont see either getting tested till semi's then look the hell out.

So who is the top dawg????

I'm not up on the East teams but I can offer a few comments on the West. I agree, Giles is the top until someone proves otherwise but here's a few observations:

Union... Union is not in the Lonesome Pine District. Actually there is no LPD any longer. Union does play one of the toughest schedules around including Mountain District games against Gate City, Lee High, and Wise Central. Also, non-conference wins against Richlands, Middlesboro (KY), and Sullivan North (TN) are a big boost. Union struggles against a physical running game, like Marion hit them with late in the regular season. The Union/Glenvar game will be a good one this week.

Gate City... GC is a strong team and could very well make a run at a championship. All around a good team. I think they have the toughest draw of the playoffs with looking at Buckingham and Marion in back to back weeks.

Marion...I agree that Marion is a team to watch!

My sleeper pick is Lee High. They are really a team that could sneak up on a team like Giles. I'm not saying they will win, but they are a good, solid football team that could shake things up!

Don't know much about Clarke but to say they won't have much trouble with Nottoway is a statement I don't agree with. Nottoway has already beaten Goochland, Buckingham and Lunenburg. Plus they battled 3A Heritage Lynchburg to the wire. They had a close one last week but Amelia was also an improving team. Not ready to give a score but I am going with Nottoway in this one

I agree. I know nothing about Clarke, but the word at both McDonald's & Hardee's is they have played an easier schedule than most teams.

I dont think Clarke have a clue about what their up against. Nottoway wins big.

Also left are Gladiators and Green hornets. People at burger king think they have a shot as well.

This post was edited on 11/18 8:57 PM by rhsgrad

well, as long as people at burger king say they have a shot, that is good enough for me.

I was told today by a parent of a player from Graham who knows football and knows Giles Football that Gate City had 3 Ricky Cooks and for those that don't remember he (along with others led Giles to the 2005 Championship). I'll take 3 of them on my team and roll the dice. I think there are a lot of good teams left and when two good teams play, a turnover, penalty or bounce of the ball can change the outcome. That said, Giles has more team speed on defense than they have ever had and their pass defense has improved tremendously since the beginning of the season. They hit hard and swarm to the ball but like I said there are a lot of good teams left in the mix. Lee is one point and one bad call from being undefeated.

Gladiators/Green Hornets

I went to a game between those 2 teams several years ago. It was the 2nd most boring game I have ever watched.

Nottoway may win this game but expect a VERY physical Clarke team. May be that Nottoway wins this game but the "physicality" of Clarke negatively affects them the next week.

I seen Nottoway up close and personal and dont think they play 2 hand touch. Their big fast and plays with an attitude, but if Clarke can rattle them early they will fight amongst each other and you must make em pay for it.If not than get ready for basketball.

Re: Gladiators/Green Hornets

A few years ago has nothing to do with today..a few years ago gretna was actually good

Apparently judging by what I read on this board, nothing as changed with the 2 teams.

Boring football is boring football, whether it be 2005 or 2014. I did see both teams in 2011, but not against each other. I saw Wilson play Goochland but I cannot recall who RH played.

3 of the last 4 games between the two have come down to the final minute. Been 3 of the best games you'd ever see in your life

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT