ADVERTISEMENT

So who will make a run at the title next year????

Bo Bob

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 1, 2016
I think St. Draft will be back in the mix next year. That team was talented and I don't think they were losing many.

Appomattox, if they fill some spots along the line will make noise again. Lots of talent at the skills positions. Special teams will be a question mark as well.

How will Glenvar be next year?

Radford will get their talent back from injury.

Not sure if we will "make a run" per se, but this will be Ridgeview's last shot at a run for a good while... Wise Central should be the odds on favorite in Region D though considering they have EVERYONE back from the region finalists this season.

Ridgeview coach Rick Mullins resigned today. This could change everything and not necessarily in a bad way either, depending on who gets the helm.

Reactions: Bo Bob
I will jump in with my opinion.

Region A-The usual suspects in King William and Poquoson with Thomas Jefferson continuing the new tradition of playoff runs.

Region B-As mentioned Stuarts Draft should be back in contention but Buckingham will be heard from barring the injury bug. Outside shot for ER and Luray to be in the mix.

Region C-Appomattox is a contender as long at the QB is there. Was Gretna young? Could they be a little more prolific on O to challenge Appo? Glenvar has some pieces and a QB I happen to like but losing their WR may impact their ability to be at the head of the class next year. What does Radford have coming back? And truthfully can anyone play with the speed that the Raiders have?

Region D-Wise has to be odds on favorites. Graham, Union, Ridgeview, and Richlands all have claims on why they will be representing the region but none are as complete on both sides of the ball as Wise.

We cant get to August fast enough......

Region A-The usual suspects in King William and Poquoson with Thomas Jefferson continuing the new tradition of playoff runs.

Region B-As mentioned Stuarts Draft should be back in contention but Buckingham will be heard from barring the injury bug. Outside shot for ER and Luray to be in the mix.

Region C-Appomattox is a contender as long at the QB is there. Was Gretna young? Could they be a little more prolific on O to challenge Appo? Glenvar has some pieces and a QB I happen to like but losing their WR may impact their ability to be at the head of the class next year. What does Radford have coming back? And truthfully can anyone play with the speed that the Raiders have?

Region D-Wise has to be odds on favorites. Graham, Union, Ridgeview, and Richlands all have claims on why they will be representing the region but none are as complete on both sides of the ball as Wise.

Yea, I know nothing about A

B. Draft will be in the mix. Buckingham I expect to be VERY good.

C. I think Gretna was heavy with seniors I think but they generally always have talent.
Radford could be really good if they didn't lose all their blockers.
Glenvar QB was talented. Will be a junior I think. Threw the ball well.

D. Agree with ya

Gretna was not young but will be next year. They lost 16 seniors and most contributed. Gretna should drop off next year the question is how much.

All good points and thanks for letting me know about Gretna. I didn't hear what they were losing but they have had moderate success the last few years so it makes sense that they may have had a more senior team.

Now out onto the limb I go. I would put even money on Buckingham hoisting the trophy and that's knowing that Draft brings back a lot. The early season matchup for Bucktown with Appomattox and Goochland will likely tell whether they host or not through out. I honestly don't think someone from Region A can beat either of them unless they have home field on the "East" side of the bracket. I would also go out on a limb and say Wise will be the team they play in Salem. I am well aware of how potent the Appomattox team should be but I have a sneaking suspicion that Wise will have a phenomenal D this year. I think they will be good for the next two years actually and the fellas in SWVA know it too.

On to my apology if you will. I know you guys are Raider supporters and I am in no way trying to stir the pot. Your QB is a stud for sure and I respect what the coach is doing with the program. I watched the state game and came away really impressed with the athleticism of the QB and game management of the coach. To me that game turned on a 4 minute stretch at the end of the third. Credit given on great D and exceptional clock management making Draft punt into the wind to end up with wonderful field position on back to back possessions. Then the back breaker on the long break away run early in the fourth where the QB showed his speed. Now my point in going back over all of that was to say that on a windless day, I am not so sure that 14 points happens in quite that manner since Draft had held their own up until then. All that said I believe Appo lost a few contributing players so that is the only reason I am willing to pick against them. It would not surprise me to see them win again but like those that "hate" on the Gladiators, lol, I have to pick someone different if for no other reason than to have something to talk about.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldfool2
KW returns their top 6 linemen, plus all state RB Demond Claiborne, three wide receivers, plus defensively they return 3 starters on the line, all of their linebackers and three members of the secondary, plus they welcome an undefeated jv team, which the rising freshmen on that team made it to nationals in California in 2018. They should be in the mix for the foreseeable future.

That could make it interesting for sure. Can they maintain their advantage on Poquoson and challenge newcomer TJ to represent the region? On paper it sounds like it and kudos to them on the development of their younger players coming in. And for the record I am still butt hurt about the missed extra point game against the Cavaliers in the playoffs, lol.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
I think the first game of the year for the Raiders against Buckingham has the potential to end up just like it did this year.
The Raiders will be developing some new guys at spots and Buckingham will return a veteran roster.
Will be an interesting game!!

That could make it interesting for sure. Can they maintain their advantage on Poquoson and challenge newcomer TJ to represent the region? On paper it sounds like it and kudos to them on the development of their younger players coming in. And for the record I am still butt hurt about the missed extra point game against the Cavaliers in the playoffs, lol.
They only lose around 7 seniors and most of their top skill guys last season were sophomores, including Claiborne who had 37 total touchdowns. Also 3 of the starting linemen were sophomores and their top linebacker, who was 1st team all region, was only a freshman.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT