ADVERTISEMENT

SOFTBALL: David Crockett, TN 3, Lebanon 1

swva_havok_fan

VaPreps Varsity
Feb 23, 2016
KINGSPORT, Tenn. – The softball teams at Lebanon and David Crockett share more than just the same nickname. Quality play is another trait they have in common.

“We are kind of similar,” said Lebanon coach Dennis Price.

It was Crockett prevailing in a showdown of teams that are evenly-matched and equally talented.

Matty McKee and Alyssa Suits connected for back-to-back home runs to begin the fifth inning as the David Crockett Pioneers posted a 3-1 triumph over the Lebanon Pioneers on Friday at Domtar Park in an Eastman Invitational marquee matchup.

Both squads relied on college-bound ace pitchers – Lebanon’s Morgan Hamm has signed with Carson-Newman University, while David Crockett’s Kara Weems has committed to Milligan College.

Flawless defense was also exhibited by both sets of Pioneers.

In the end, Lebanon (2-2) just came up short.

“It was a great game,” Price said. “Games like that make you better. Things didn’t go our way, but our team battled till the end. We had opportunities, but that’s the way this game goes sometimes.”

Crockett took control in the fifth when McKee stepped in and broke a 1-1 deadlock by smacking a solo home run. She was 0-for-2 before delivering the game’s biggest knock.

“I had never seen [Hamm] before this game,” McKee said. “I knew she had a good change-up. She can throw the ball and has movement. I was told to crowd the plate, so I got on the plate and I saw the ball and made contact and that’s all you can do in that situation.”

One pitch later, Suits smacked a homer of her own.

“Before the at-bat she goes, ‘Man, how I am supposed to follow that up?’ ” McKee said. “Exactly like that, I told her.”

David Crockett won the TSSAA District 1-AAA tournament last season and still has one of Northeast Tennessee’s top squads.

“Going into this year we had the same talent from last season and some new talent coming up,” McKee said. “I think it’s going to be a solid year like last year.”

Lebanon is one of Southwest Virginia’s elite teams and the Pioneers have made three straight trips to the state tournament, winning the VHSL 2A championship in 2016.

The Pioneers pounded their way to a 10-0 win over Happy Valley on Friday before succumbing to Crockett.

Sophomore Maggie Lampkin’s RBI single in the second inning drove in Haley Finney for Lebanon’s lone run in the loss to Crockett.

“We’ve got a good group of girls that know what it takes to win,” Price said. “The good thing about being in this tournament is you play really, really good teams and see good pitching and I think that’s what makes you better. That’s what we’re all about – we want to be our best. If not right now, at the end of the year we want to be rocking and rolling.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT