ADVERTISEMENT

Some Tazewell Information Please?

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
When we played down there the first time, I took 81 to 77, and followed it north to Rocky Gap, then took Rt. 61 into Tazewell. This time I have conducted a Mapquest search and it tells me to only stay on 77 for 17 miles, and then get on US 52. But I would only stay on that for less than a mile and then take a Rt. 614 called Grapefield Road. I am told to then stay on that for 13 miles and it will bring me out on 61 about 8-10 miles east of Tazewell. It sounds like more of a diagonal cut whereas the route I used the first time was a case of going due north, then due west. So would you folks down there concur with Mapquest on this?

And my second question.........what are gas prices like in Tazewell? I am trying to decide whether to fill up here at home and make it down and back all on one tank or plan to leave here with half a tank and then fill up down there before heading back if it is cheaper. That question stems from our trip to Galax a few years ago. I don't remember the specifics but I was shocked that day at how cheap their gas was as compared to ours.

You would probably be better off to go to swvafootball-swsports.com, join the group and ask there. It's a nice little group that's informative about the area and is usually quick to respond.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
I always take 81 to 77, then 61 when I go down there. Honestly there are a couple of ways. You could take 81 to Blacksburg then take 460 as well, if you want a more scenic route. I'm not sure about gas prices.
You can always take 81 to Abingdon. Then take 19 back into Tazewell County. Four lanes 90-95% of the way. Now you have to deal with 81 traffic. Blacksburg via route 460 is a nice drive. Either way keeps you off backroads. I live in East Tennessee and just visited a friend up in the Shenandoah Valley. Gas price down this way somewhat cheaper. Especially around the route 220 exit near Troutville and even better in my woods or over immediately across the state line. All have a safe trip down this way.

If you want to avoid getting motion sickness, do not take route 61, instead go through the 2nd mountain tunnel and take the first right out of the tunnel (exit 1) as you enter West Virginia -Turn right at the end of the exit to take route 52 (John Nash Boulevard) about 5 miles to 460 West, continue on 460 West for about 20 miles to Tazewell. This is the way I prefer to go to Tazewell. - I drive it every just about every day. Going to Abingdon and then backtracking will add another 45 minutes to an hour on your commute from the direction you are coming from. (Exit 1 is just a few miles past the exit you would take to get on 61).

Gas was $3.45 a gallon in Bluefield (about 25 minutes from Tazewell) and $3.54 in Tazewell today.

If you want to avoid getting motion sickness, do not take route 61, instead go through the 2nd mountain tunnel and take the first right out of the tunnel (exit 1) as you enter West Virginia -Turn right at the end of the exit to take route 52 (John Nash Boulevard) about 5 miles to 460 West, continue on 460 West for about 20 miles to Tazewell. This is the way I prefer to go to Tazewell. - I drive it every just about every day. Going to Abingdon and then backtracking will add another 45 minutes to an hour on your commute from the direction you are coming from. (Exit 1 is just a few miles past the exit you would take to get on 61).
This is what I do too...I got confused earlier, I've never taken 61. I either take 81, 77, 460, or 81 right to 460 from Blacksburg.

For Riverheads Fan, do exactly what 19GH87 said and no offense to anyone else but don't pay any attention to any other post in this thread other than what 19GHS87 wrote. Trust me, someone who lives in Tazewell County my whole life and works in Tazewell, but lives in Bluefield, VA. Cut, paste, and print his post and disregard every post you have read on here including this one. The route he gave is not just the safest, it is also the fastest, and in your trip, you got a situation where you are lucky that the fastest route is also the safest route.

Thanks for all your responses. I double checked Mapquest and out of the three options given, 19GHS87's is not one of them. But I do like the sound of being on major roads the whole way. Looks like my Grapefield Road is not getting any love at all!

Gas was $3.45 a gallon in Bluefield (about 25 minutes from Tazewell) and $3.54 in Tazewell today.
#this
Never take Grapefield if you can avoid it. I used to work in Wytheville and live near Tazewell. I always went through 2nd tunnel home. Only way I ever took Grapefield was if traffic was backed up at a standstill. Ignore Mapquest on this one.

From all the years that I lived in Virginia - it was a total of 40 - I always followed these two rules:

Rule 1 - Always listen to the locals for ANY type of local information
Rule 2 - Always follow Rule 1

#this
Never take Grapefield if you can avoid it. I used to work in Wytheville and live near Tazewell. I always went through 2nd tunnel home. Only way I ever took Grapefield was if traffic was backed up at a standstill. Ignore Mapquest on this one.
That GPS isn't saying a word about the 30 mph tractor or 35 mph logging truck in the 55 mph zone that is automatic when going Grapefield. Also, it's double the danger. Many killed on that road.

That GPS isn't saying a word about the 30 mph tractor or 35 mph logging truck in the 55 mph zone that is automatic when going Grapefield. Also, it's double the danger. Many killed on that road.
It’s awful! I like the scenic route on some trips but not when it’s a curvy dangerous mountain road like that.

Taking 460 thru the 'burgs is about 5-10 faster thhan 81-77-460.
Tech kicks @ 8:00, so that's not a problem.
If you want to do scenic, take 64 thru Covington to Beckley... it might add 30 minutes. (I'd do it just to avoid 81 thru Rockbridge twice.)
If I were making the trip, I'd go back thru Wytheville, just so I could stop in Radford & have dinner at Sal's Italian.
GasBuddy shows lowest gas @ 3.23 at Daleville/Exit 150, 3.35 just this side of Wytheville. Nothing showing for Tazewell County... but it was 3.49 in Richlands Saturday.

Going 64 over to Beckley and down 77 into Bluefield adds exactly 37 minutes driving 6 miles over the speed limit compared to 81 South/77 North. I've done it probably 20 times. I worked in DC part time and traveled to and from 2 times a month for 20 years.

You best option, fastest and safest, 81 South/77 North at Wytheville/go into WV barely, take exit 1, the first exit inside the state of West VA, and pick up 460 west to Tazewell. Good food? Stop at Double Gates Grocery in Bluefield, VA, across from Graham High School and get the hot dogs. This place is known by locals and has been around for decades and is famous for its homemade chili, and the meat comes from a local farm. People come there from miles away just for the hotdogs, plus you may be able to spy on the GMen who may be doing a quick Saturday AM workout which is across the main road from Double Gates grocery and this place is one minute off of 460, so you aren't going out of the way to eat there.

Thanks again guys! You all know your stuff even if you do have different suggestions! But based on the consensus opinion, I think I will follow this most recent route and head into WV and then down 460. Not sure about the hot dog idea however. Does Tazewell have a Golden Corral or Woodgrill or anything of that nature? You know the kind of place where you can stuff yourself at a buffet and feel miserable?

Reactions: 19GHS87
Don't discount Double Gates. When we played Graham years ago, I would go there in late 80's/early 90's, and stopped in again on the way to Gate City a couple of years ago and the place is still the same after 30 years. Probably the best hotdog I've ever had. Ask the locals about this place. There are people that come from 200 miles to this place. For teams that have played Graham over the years on a regular basis, their fans are well aware of it. Tazewell I don't think has any buffets. Bluefield, VA off 460 (about 19 miles from Tazewell) has Applebees, Macado's, and Bob Evans. Macado's is really good. I think there is a Macado's in Lexington, VA, also.

Thanks again guys! You all know your stuff even if you do have different suggestions! But based on the consensus opinion, I think I will follow this most recent route and head into WV and then down 460. Not sure about the hot dog idea however. Does Tazewell have a Golden Corral or Woodgrill or anything of that nature? You know the kind of place where you can stuff yourself at a buffet and feel miserable?
Eat in Bluefield, they have lots of options. The Macadoo's is usually good.

Yes there is a Macado's in Lexington and also Harrisonburg. The first one I ever saw was in Roanoke and I guess it still exists. Not sure about any others.

Woodgrill? What do you think this is... California??
All of RadCats places are within site of each other and only about 100 yards off 460.

Tazewell has the usual stuff, McDonalds, Hardees, Wendy's, KFC, Sonic... they have some restaurants on Main St. that are pretty good, but more like stuff you would see on a main street, quirky type restaurants. Best bet is to stop in Bluefield, VA and as Fairlawn Cat suggested, go to McAdo's, AppleBees or Bob Evans, a couple of Mexican restaurants, a Japanese Restaurant and they are all in close proximity to each other. Right off of 460, so easy on and off on your way to the game. If you stopped in Wytheville on the way, you would have a little more variety, but not much more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT