ADVERTISEMENT

Sour grapes,NO,,HOWEVER OFFICIATING LEAVES ME BEING WITH A BIG QUESTION MARK

utkrazy419

VaPreps Varsity
May 12, 2009
After watching the Gretna/Radford game in person i felt morally obligated to post this thread.The officials picked up or waved off more flags than i have ever witnessed in any football game .TWO flags They did not pick up were the 2 holding calls on Gretna when Gretna had scored on a 35 yard run to take a 14 to 7 lead. i am assuming the officiating crew has another full time job other than officiating football games and if they do my advice is don't dare quit your day time job or you will be in trouble.I surely hope the raiders don't have this same crew or they could be in for a long night.........

Reactions: lovethisgame78
After watching the Gretna/Radford game in person i felt morally obligated to post this thread.The officials picked up or waved off more flags than i have ever witnessed in any football game .TWO flags They did not pick up were the 2 holding calls on Gretna when Gretna had scored on a 35 yard run to take a 14 to 7 lead. i am assuming the officiating crew has another full time job other than officiating football games and if they do my advice is don't dare quit your day time job or you will be in trouble.I surely hope the raiders don't have this same crew or they could be in for a long night.........
My favorite thing to yell when I see an obvious bad call is to tell the refs to go back to Footlocker. Shameful, I know.

Ideally refs should be part of the show and not THE show in any sport. Football officiating needs to set the tone early in the 1st quarter and holdfast....ie calling tight,loose whatever. Similar to a homeplate umpire calling balls/strikes. The rule of thumb is suppose to be whether or not the hold or penalty was near the play and did it affect the play. A hold by a receiver away from the play won't or shouldn't be called versus a lineman hold near the RB on a TD run. I'll admit a lot of flags being thrown and then picked up is a bit disheartening. It's understandable that different areas of the state call games different based on what they allow during the regular season but I would love to see neutral refs from different areas for all regional/state play-off games for many reasons.
In 2013 Appo had something like 4 flags in like 4 or 5 consecutive plays on the very last offensive series.The total at the end of the game was like 10 penalties for Appo versus none for Giles. NO flags at all for a run offense...no holds or blocking below the waist for a single wing team. Now Giles had a great team, great lineman, great runners and are always well coached .....this issue has nothing to do with them- they were/ are a classy program producing a great football team year after year. I have the utmost respect for the Giles program. But when you get to the 25 yard line with first down and end up punting because of penalties.......then lose by a field .....many of us then knew the taste of sour grapes. We learned a valuable lesson- try to do anything and everything you can to keep the game from being decided by officials.

I talked with some of the Gretna coaches and they had little to no problem with officiating. They said officials did a good job and the holding call which negated the TD was unfortunate but simply was not a smart play on the Gretna offenders part.

I talked with some of the Gretna coaches and they had little to no problem with officiating. They said officials did a good job and the holding call which negated the TD was unfortunate but simply was not a smart play on the Gretna offenders part.
I didn't see the hold on the TD play but the other calls were legit. Gretna's O-line was having trouble blocking and started holding.

I didn't see the hold on the TD play but the other calls were legit. Gretna's O-line was having trouble blocking and started holding.
Holding call on TD was Hicks on #7 I believe that finished with a little throw down. Not smart. O line has been the achilles heel all year against quality competition.

Reactions: obguthr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT