ADVERTISEMENT

Spartan Odds 'n Ends

SpartanOfYore

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 15, 2009
I offer the following bits of information in the wake of Salem's 56-14 win over Pulaski County:

~The 56 points are the most points Salem has ever scored in a single game against PC, eclipsing the 49 points scored in 2014.
~Salem also won in Kenneth J. Dobson Stadium in 2012 and 2014, making this the first time ever that Salem has won in three consecutive appearances at Pulaski County. The Spartans are now 8-13 all-time when visiting PC.
~The win was Salem's eighth consecutive against Pulaski Co., the Spartans longest winning streak in the series. This matches the eight straight wins in the series posted by the Cougars between 1978 and 1985.
~Salem has won sixteen of the past nineteen games against Pulaski County.
~With the victory, Salem secured its fifth consecutive outright River Ridge District football title - a new school record. The Spartans won six consecutive Blue Ridge District crowns in football from 1994 to 1999, but the 1996 championship was shared with Northside (and possibly LB - I don't remember if LB had one or two district losses).
~The win over Pulaski County was Salem's 35th consecutive victory in the regular season over River Ridge District opponents, dating back to 2011. Including playoff wins over PC in 2011 and 2012, and Christiansburg in 2012, the Spartans have a 38-game winning streak against the rest of the RRD.

Congratulations to Salem's players and coaches on another district championship - the school's twenty-second out of forty seasons of football!

Mags is 15-3 all-time against Pulaski, that's outrageous. Not only that but the games are rarely (won by 7 points or less only 3 times) close. This is also the 4th time in a row Salem has scored 40 or more against Pulaski. There was never a point in this rivalry where either team even scored 30 for 3 years in a row.

Also kudos to CougarDave for keeping his site up to date. I really wish the Salem site was still maintained but that stopped in 2012 I believe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT