ADVERTISEMENT

Spotsylvania will have a new coach

skynard1

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 12, 2009
According to reports from the football banquet at Spotsylvania the Principal announced that Ben Lawrynas will no longer be the football coach at Spotsylvania. As a lot of you on this board may know I have said some things on here that were a little harsh about the football staff at Spotsy. As a Spotsy graduate and alumni I was upset that the team could not win football games and when that happens you point the finger at the coach. With that said I would like to state that I never meant anything personal against Coach Lawrynas. I realize that he is a human being and was only doing what he felt was best. I wish him luck in the future.

Does anyone really want this job? What's the promise in the new coach that they will have the support to win etc? Any front runners?

there is some up sides at spotsy believe it or not. there are excellent facilities. a practice field better than a lot of game fields. there is talent in the school even though a lot didn't come out because of all the losing seasons. before the last coach was hired we in the boosters has over 30 coaches that applied but none interviewed. so I would think maybe some of these will re apply again. had some excellent experienced coaches apply then so if any luck they might re apply.
in my opinion they can't afford to hire another young inexperienced coach. that was the problem after tim coleman as both the coaches were totally green with no experience on how to build a program. we need a experienced coach that has experience in building a program and playoff experience that can get the kids in the halls enthused and come out for football. the students have been beat down since coleman left 12 years ago that they felt they had no chance to win so they didn't play.if the new coach has a record of winning and playoff experience those kids will want to be a part of the team once again. no one want's to lose as they want to be a part of winners. so there is some things that will attract a good coach and I hope a good one is hired! if a couple that I talked to and applied for the job back then re applies they will be a perfect fit. three had playoff experience and one even is a master of the single wing that spotsy runs. they hope to hire the new coach by February! STAND BY!

You had nothing to do with the Coach change. The record and performance had everything to do with it.

When a Spotsy team plays with heart, the Coach will have a long tenure, win or lose.

please explain? where did I post I had something to do with the coaching change?

Talked to a friend with a kid playing at spotsy last night. He made it sound like the front runner for the job may come from the old staff.

I have always seen a lot of talent at Spotsy. As noted, you see more walking the halls than on the field. That being said, I believe that whoever takes the spot as head coach will have to concentrate on changing the culture in every aspect. Starting with the faculty within the school, the student body and the parents. I have been in a couple "spats" over the years with parents and teachers over this issue. If those two bodies of folks don't support the coaching staff and the effort, that negativity is transmitted to the players and no one believes!

Believe it or not, I was at Spotsy watching a game, standing next to a group of players and a couple of teachers ... and one of the teachers told the other, loud enough for the players to hear, "Unless we get Coach ????? back, we won't ever have a winning season!" Yep ... couldn't keep my mouth shut and the result was one of those "spats."

The bottom line is the faculty, parents and players need to get on board with the program and support it 100%. Fail to do that, and Nick Sabin could be the coach and the results wouldn't be much better.

All that being said, I can't wait for Spotsy to step up to the plate and get r dun! Fact is, they can!

no one on that staff is qualified imo. the superintendent has told the parents a complete change in staff will happen! if they don't hire a experienced coach in building a program they will do nothing but tread water and be like they have been for 12 yrs losers!

skynard1, have you heard of any names interested in applying?

I hear the inside track, is the coach who left Orange County and is now at Spotsy. PURELY rumor, and take it for what it's worth........

this is just my opinion. no one on that staff is qualified. the guy you are referring too is the father of this years starting QB. he was a senior so I would doubt he would take the job. we can't afford another rookie coach. if the school board and the principal has any sense they will hire a experienced playoff tested coach that has experience building a program. I hope some of the 30 0r so that applied before the last coach was hired re applies. there were some excellent experienced coaches that applied then and maybe they will apply again.

ADVERTISEMENT