ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Football ? Fall Baseball ?

trutiger16

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Jun 10, 2014
As I been stating since March , spring football maybe in play, there is escalating talk by VHSL to move baseball to fall and football to spring to lessen the risk of COVID , this move also buys time for a vaccination to be in play. With COVID spiking again this is the best move to make.

As I been stating since March , spring football maybe in play, there is escalating talk by VHSL to move baseball to fall and football to spring to lessen the risk of COVID , this move also buys time for a vaccination to be in play. With COVID spiking again this is the best move to make.

its not spiking. there are 10;s of thousands more test being done daily so of course the positives will rise. pay attention to the percent of positives to the number of test given, hospitalizations, and death. all three have all pretty much stayed the same or have dropped.

Reactions: trutiger16

also pay attention to philly, Minnesota, new york etc..... all the cities that have had riots and pay attention to their positives it may surprise you. how come they haven't had a spike and they have been out the last two weeks doing what they have been doing. so theirs another example.crazy

also pay attention to philly, Minnesota, new york etc..... all the cities that have had riots and pay attention to their positives it may surprise you. how come they haven't had a spike and they have been out the last two weeks doing what they have been doing. so theirs another example.crazy
Ok

Unfortunately I agree that’s the way it appears to be heading. I am not in favor of spring football at all but we all know that football is the engine that drives a high school athletic budget. The majority of schools will not be able to meet criteria for what scenarios are being thrown out. Heck the NFL is talking about using the NBA “bubble” model. We can all agree that would never happen at the HS level so unless a major reversal of policy takes place it’s all over but the announcement itself.

Reactions: aw19752
Unfortunately I agree that’s the way it appears to be heading. I am not in favor of spring football at all but we all know that football is the engine that drives a high school athletic budget. The majority of schools will not be able to meet criteria for what scenarios are being thrown out. Heck the NFL is talking about using the NBA “bubble” model. We can all agree that would never happen at the HS level so unless a major reversal of policy takes place it’s all over but the announcement itself.

that was facui who said nfl should but they wont nfl wants no part of that and facui has no credibility

If this idea (fall baseball and spring football) turns out to be true, I think it would be a better option than trying to play football in the fall (which let's face it would only be a little over two months away) if it meant having to play without fans or with players having their temps taken before every game, or having all fans wear masks, or any other number of restrictive conditions. I for one would be willing to wait to enjoy football if it means playing it under "normal' conditions.

Unless the Executive Committee has reversed course, there's not going to be spring football and fall baseball. I'm holding out hope that the season starts the last Friday in September or the first Friday in October with a 4-week postseason. Basically, I'm hoping for a 6-game regular season with each region determining what teams qualify for post-season play. At this point (June 19), I think it's the best we can hope for.

VHSL will not move football to the Spring and spring sports to the fall. They would not put the Spring sports at risk of losing out on a second year of athletics. This possibility has been discussed, but has been shot down. Another major hurdle is having football players play in the Spring and then play again in the fall...That isn't logical from a recovery standpoint and lets not forget the craziness that is going on right now with getting equipment ordered and reconditioned products returned. I don't know what escalated talks you have been hearing about, but I've been told this is not happening. There won't be a football season before this happens.

VHSL will not move football to the Spring and spring sports to the fall. They would not put the Spring sports at risk of losing out on a second year of athletics. This possibility has been discussed, but has been shot down. Another major hurdle is having football players play in the Spring and then play again in the fall...That isn't logical from a recovery standpoint and lets not forget the craziness that is going on right now with getting equipment ordered and reconditioned products returned. I don't know what escalated talks you have been hearing about, but I've been told this is not happening. There won't be a football season before this happens.
Ok we will see , I hope you are right but I don’t see football happening this fall , football can be played in the spring , you speak of recovery ? ask the kids in Florida, Texas , and California about year round football ,spring football is the norm in those places wonder why those states lead in sending kids to the next level. I’m not the only one hearing this info coming out of VHSL

Look I agree the good Dr is just suggesting that to the NFL but I can’t see a scenario where there are patrons in stadiums for pro sports. There are too many credible people stating otherwise. Personally I would love to see a return to normalcy but there are way yonder too many people screaming that it’s not possible for it to happen quickly. It’s ingrained in all of our minds that this will be catastrophic so overcoming that hurdle alone will be monumental. Like @longtimerhsfan, I don’t want to come back with half capacity, or so many restrictions it becomes prohibited to the vast majority of teams and fans. Not to sound callous but we are talking about a virus that has a 99+% survival rate. The world economy and infrastructure has been forever altered and I don’t think that’s even debatable.

Ok we will see , I hope you are right but I don’t see football happening this fall , football can be played in the spring , you speak of recovery ? ask the kids in Florida, Texas , and California about year round football ,spring football is the norm in those places wonder why those states lead in sending kids to the next level. I’m not the only one hearing this info coming out of VHSL
They do play spring football in other states but that is usually only 15 practices max and then a spring game or scrimmage. Not a full regular season and then playoffs.

But I like that the VHSL discussed it and is thinking outside the box for a way to let the kids play. The latest rumor I have heard is that there is a discussion of a two month fall season, two month winter season and then two month spring season with it starting in January. It's not ideal, but I would rather them shorten all the seasons than complete completely cancel one.

VHSL catches a lot of crap. Sometimes it might be warranted, but usually, it's not. But make no mistake, the folks at the VHSL office are in it for the right reasons and are intelligent folks who want the best for kids and the member schools. I trust that they will come up with the best plan they can given the situation. Will everybody like it. Heck no, but they will put something together that takes into consideration the best interests of kids whether they live in Hampton, Bristol, Danville, Fairfax, Lynchburg, Va Beach, or Richmond.

I don't envy their task.

Reactions: oldfool2
If there is no football this fall, I doubt any sport will be played this school year. Maybe Spring sports if there is a vaccine the first of the year. Maybe...

This is by no means official but I overheard a local AD talking in public recently to what appeared to be a former player. All I heard were two phrases.........."we will start about two weeks late".......and "the bad part is that at the end of the season, only the top four will go to the playoffs."

Like everyone is saying, you will hear a little bit of everything until we hear something official.

Maybe you don’t know this but I’m a HS AD and I’m telling you that what I posted is from my talks with VHSL staff. There has been the idea of Spring football floated but it’s the least possible option so if it has a 1% chance then I guess you’re right it’s a possibility.
The recovery I speak of is about the kids and their bodies. No way a kid plays a full season in the spring then does it in the fall all over again. Liability and doctors won’t allow that. I know football can make or break athletic programs, but I don’t see the VHSL jeopardizing children’s safety for some football games. Best case scenario is a shorten season with a shorten playoffs maybe 16 teams per class. Best case scenario.

This is by no means official but I overheard a local AD talking in public recently to what appeared to be a former player. All I heard were two phrases.........."we will start about two weeks late".......and "the bad part is that at the end of the season, only the top four will go to the playoffs."

Like everyone is saying, you will hear a little bit of everything until we hear something official.
Eavesdropping? Really? Then post it lol.

Maybe you don’t know this but I’m a HS AD and I’m telling you that what I posted is from my talks with VHSL staff. There has been the idea of Spring football floated but it’s the least possible option so if it has a 1% chance then I guess you’re right it’s a possibility.
The recovery I speak of is about the kids and their bodies. No way a kid plays a full season in the spring then does it in the fall all over again. Liability and doctors won’t allow that. I know football can make or break athletic programs, but I don’t see the VHSL jeopardizing children’s safety for some football games. Best case scenario is a shorten season with a shorten playoffs maybe 16 teams per class. Best case scenario.
Thanks Devils for actual official information.

This particular AD has a big, booming presence and voice and the conversation took place in Wal Mart. Everyone within 30 feet heard him so I was not exactly eavesdropping. As I said those were the only two statements that I heard before I went on about my business.

@DEVILSLB99, I sort of heard the shortened season and playoffs scenario third person from someone very close to those in the know in this area today. I was also told it may be district games only which kind of makes sense but there is still way too many obstacles to be but so optimistic that any semblance of a season will take place.

@DEVILSLB99, I sort of heard the shortened season and playoffs scenario third person from someone very close to those in the know in this area today. I was also told it may be district games only which kind of makes sense but there is still way too many obstacles to be but so optimistic that any semblance of a season will take place.
Man I’m not in favor of a water down season at all I would rather have spring ball if we can get going the right way, I’m so looking forward to a visit back to Staunton and have your crazy fanatic environment in place as my Tigers aim to end the run or host you guys in Peanut Country , I want things back to norm !

This particular AD has a big, booming presence and voice and the conversation took place in Wal Mart. Everyone within 30 feet heard him so I was not exactly eavesdropping. As I said those were the only two statements that I heard before I went on about my business.
I gave you a "like" because you just basically said it's official because the comments were made in Walmart lol. Walmart Official?

@trutiger16, good deal man, we are done with football signups but still are trying to sandwich a rec baseball season in before we give it a go in August. Gotta get these kids out the house and using up some of that energy. I suppose the good thing is that any of the baseball kids switching over will have a little jump on conditioning.

its not spiking. there are 10;s of thousands more test being done daily so of course the positives will rise. pay attention to the percent of positives to the number of test given, hospitalizations, and death. all three have all pretty much stayed the same or have dropped.
You still stand by this statement ?

By Marc Davis | July 27, 2020 at 10:37 AM EDT - Updated

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (WWBT) - High school sports in public schools will not start in the fall, but all three athletic seasons are scheduled to happen.The Virginia High School League voted on Monday morning to adopt Model 3 of its sports calendar options, which is to delay the start of activities until mid-December, then each season holding an abbreviated schedule. The vote was passed with a 34-1 tally.This option, which was heavily favored by coaches and athletic directors across the state, will see high school sports begin in mid-December and run through late June.The seasons will be scheduled as follows:
Season 1 (Winter) December 14 – February 20 (First Contest Date – December 28)
Season 2 (Fall) February 15 – May 1 (First Contest Date – March 1)
Season 3 (Spring) April 12 – June 26 (First Contest Date – April 2
6)

How that crow taste ?

I am still not sold this will happen. I hope it does, but a lot has to change between now and December for any sports to be played.

How that crow taste ?
I can tell you like this it was a big push because the smaller schools were stating their athletics budgets were going to fail without football. Just showed how the VHSL caved and proves football is king no matter what. I still have the same concerns and that is players opting out which some around Tidewater and the Richmond area have already done. Still not a done deal still have to make it past Phase 3 and the spiking numbers in Hampton Roads isn’t helping. No football state champions either. Season still in jeopardy.

Be surprised if spring football season played than 3 months back to fall season. On college note, Nebraska parents sent letter for any minutes of any vote or meeting concerning Big Ten fall season. Probably will lead to lawsuit. Other schools in Big Ten to follow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT