ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Sports Not A Given Due to Pandemic

trutiger16

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Jun 10, 2014
I hope all is well with you all , I’m hearing chatter at the executive levels of VHSL that spring sports including football may not happen. What are your thoughts ?

I don't see a blanket decision to cancel so much as I see any decisions left up to local school divisions. There's no reason for the VHSL to take another beating when they can let school boards make the call. It was one thing to cancel spring sports in Va especially when coaches, players, parents etc didn't have a chance to push back. Canceling fall-winter or spring for a 2nd year in a row when people have had the chance to organize and plan a response? Mind you Im not getting into the science, health or safety of this Im just saying that VA is a football-basketball state and if even one football game is played there is no way baseball is getting canceled again.

Today the Governor just announced all gatherings public and private will be limited to 25 persons down from 250. Restaurants, breweries, closed at 10:00 pm. Folks, in my humble old person thoughts, doesn’t look good for sports. Anyone team can take up the 25 person gathering. Now if vaccine/vaccines become available, then we’ll play games.

Reactions: trutiger16
Today the Governor just announced all gatherings public and private will be limited to 25 persons down from 250. Restaurants, breweries, closed at 10:00 pm. Folks, in my humble old person thoughts, doesn’t look good for sports. Anyone team can take up the 25 person gathering. Now if vaccine/vaccines become available, then we’ll play games.

The 25 does not apply to participating athletes, just spectators.

I understand why they are making these rules, but let's be real here, being inside at a basketball game vs outside at a football game are such drastically different things. The blanket statements are easy to make...I get it...but football facilities in general should be able to accomodate more than 25 people safely.

..but football facilities in general should be able to accomodate more than 25 people safely.
No kidding!!!!!!!! That's stupid. Lets that a stadium that holds 2-3 thousand and say that only 25 people can be in safely..... Or better yet the college stadiums that hold 25,000 + and say on 25 are OK.

Governor is a horses tail!

Reactions: oldfool2
Saw on WSET Lynchburg last night that Halifax County is going virtual till January. The question regarding winter sports was asked. The superintendent replied that winter sports not even being considered at this time. Richmond City schools are not participating in winter sports. Heard that last week on a Zoom meeting for VHSL basketball officials.

ADVERTISEMENT