ADVERTISEMENT

Springers Back 2 Back Champs... Next year?

springer76

VaPreps All District
Nov 21, 2008
Highland Springs, VA
Congratulations to my Springers on a come from behind victory to claim it's spot in Springer history by winning back 2 back State Titles! What an accomplishment! Next year?....
With the graduation of 28 seniors, what will they look like next year? What I know...
They will have a stable of really good RBs, they will have a really good Sophmore QB, They will have really good WRs and they will have lots and lots of speed and talent everywhere.
The Offensive and Defensive lines will be significantly smaller, but much faster. The Special Teams have question marks. Kicker?... The coaching staff at HS has become one of, if not the best around, we will have to wait and see what kind of magic they can work with the very young 2017 Edition of Springer Football!!!

First and foremost, congrats on the win my friend.

It's hard to win three years in a row. Not saying it cannot be done but there's only a few schools who have done it.

I imagine it will be the big three contending next year with your Springers, Bird and Hermitage out of that group. If I had to rank the three right this minute I would go Hermitage, Highland Springs and Bird but that's very premature obviously.

I'm more curious to see how others do, can teams in the 5A Central Region close the gap on the big three?... can Freeman continue moving int he right direct? Does Deep Run make another step? How about Atlee and Patrick Henry who will be moving back into the same region under the new format... How many teams make the playoffs under the new regional format...

Reactions: springer76
Springers' JV schedule and scores this year.

JV
Highland Springs High SchoolSpringers Football
Overall 10-0-0
SCHEDULE
Date Opponent Result
8/257:00p Hermitage
Highland Springs HS
38 - 0Win
9/16:00p @ Norview
POWHATAN FIELD
44 - 0Win
9/87:00p Meadowbrook
Highland Springs HS
38 - 0Win
9/15TBA Armstrong
Win by Forfeit
9/29TBA Atlee
Win by Forfeit
10/67:00p Hanover
Highland Springs HS
50 - 0Win
10/13TBA Lee-Davis
62 - 0Win
10/207:00p Henrico
Highland Springs HS
32 - 6Win
10/27TBA Henry
36 - 14Win
11/37:00p Varina
Highland Springs HS
62 - 0 W Varina

It's hard to win three years in a row. Not saying it cannot be done but there's only a few schools who have done it.

I imagine it will be the big three contending next year with your Springers, Bird and Hermitage out of that group. If I had to rank the three right this minute I would go Hermitage, Highland Springs and Bird but that's very premature obviously.

I'm more curious to see how others do, can teams in the 5A Central Region close the gap on the big three?... can Freeman continue moving int he right direct? Does Deep Run make another step? How about Atlee and Patrick Henry who will be moving back into the same region under the new format... How many teams make the playoffs under the new regional format...

Thanks for the mention! We hope we can take a step or two.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
Springers' JV schedule and scores this year.

JV
Highland Springs High SchoolSpringers Football
Overall 10-0-0
SCHEDULE
Date Opponent Result
8/257:00p Hermitage
Highland Springs HS
38 - 0Win
9/16:00p @ Norview
POWHATAN FIELD
44 - 0Win
9/87:00p Meadowbrook
Highland Springs HS
38 - 0Win
9/15TBA Armstrong
Win by Forfeit
9/29TBA Atlee
Win by Forfeit
10/67:00p Hanover
Highland Springs HS
50 - 0Win
10/13TBA Lee-Davis
62 - 0Win
10/207:00p Henrico
Highland Springs HS
32 - 6Win
10/27TBA Henry
36 - 14Win
11/37:00p Varina
Highland Springs HS
62 - 0 W Varina

Wow! Seems like good things to come.

Let's all agree to keep that title in the 804 regardless of which part of town takes home the hardware.

I'd say it is a 2 horse race with Hermitage and HS being a cut above everyone at this point. Bird lost a lot this year. But who knows.

I also do want to keep that 5A hardware in Richmond so whomever is lucky enough to represent our area, the rest of the 804 needs to jump on board!

Merry Christmas mbonape1 and to all of my new vapreps friends!
This was such a fun and very special high school football season. From August to December, I witnessed some great football, met some good folks in the process and had a ton of fun! I'm glad to call you my friends; DinwiddieProud, Bleeding Navy, mbonape1, CRF4 Dan, Danville and others!...and to end MY season as 2X State Champs, it just doesn't get any better than that!
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

@springer76 yeah it was nice hanging with you and the dinwiddie crew! Now you have a chance to 3 peat like the bulls!

@springer76 yeah it was nice hanging with you and the dinwiddie crew! Now you have a chance to 3 peat like the bulls!
That would be nice. I don't want to speculate on that one yet. I know they will be a different team next year, but they will not be a slouch!! They will have very good athletes all over the field again. the key will be the offensive and defensive lines. If they can come together there, they might make a serious run. They will have a dynamic backfield, another very good quarterback. What the line does for them and the real good receiver corp, will tell. They will be a contedah by seasons end though, I am sure!
New names to watch: David Laney QB, D'Vonte Waller QB (real good JV qb, expect a battle for the starting job between him an Laney) Raquan Smith RB, Shyrie McKeiver RB, Ahman Powell RB, Shamonte Moss RB, Kalii Bradford RB ( this is a freshman stud!), Bobby Dunn RB (this kid is in the 8th grade and will be at HS as a freshman next year He is big, strong and fast) All of these RBs could start for any varsity team now! I think the line is going to be good, just not as big. they may be a step faster ....
Bobby Dunn tape as a 12 year old (7th grader)

Last edited:
I agree, Highland Spring is the team to beat. Very good Coaching and organization. They have an excellent football program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT