ADVERTISEMENT

State Championship History

17Bluebird

VaPreps Rookie
Apr 22, 2021
I was looking thru Four Seasons football and found some state champions that are not listed in the VHSL reference. This list is not complete but I have a good start. Can someone add these to the VHSL Reference and also if you see anything that you can add go ahead and do that.

State Champions pre 1920

1914 John Marshall Richmond
1916 John Marshall Richmond
1917 Salem (Andrew Lewis)
1919 Jefferson Roanoke

Next is Class B champions

1925 Norton
1926 Virginia
1927 Charlottesville Lane
1928 Alexandria defeated C H Friend (South Boston)
1929 Washington and Lee tied Big Stone Gap 12 - 12
1930 Marion defeated Clifton Forge
1931 William Byrd defeated Norton Class B playoff
1932 From what I understand there was no State Championship in class B for 1932 but I did list the undefeated teams for that year.
9-0 Lane
9-0 Appalachia
6-0 Crewe
1933 From what I understand there was no State Championship in Class B for 1933 but I did list the undefeated teams for that year.
12-0 Petersburg
11-0 Virginia High
8-0 Clifton Forge
7-0 William Bird
1934 Suffolk
1934 Clifton Forge Half State Championship
1935 Suffolk
1936 Fredericksburg defeated Big Stone Gap
1938 Fredericksburg
1938 Culpeper defeated Churchland
1939 James Monroe
1939 Clifton Forge tied Big Stone Gap 0-0 Half State Championship
1940 Appalachia
1940 Suffolk defeated Lexington
1941 Appalachia
1942 Covington defeated Martinsville
1943 Harrisonburg
1944 Harrisonburg
1945 Suffolk tied Covington 6-6
1945 William Flemming
1946 Lexington
1948 William Byrd defeated Handley
1948 Glen Allen defeated Suffolk
1949 Glen Allen defeated Suffolk
1949 William Fleming tied Handley 14 - 14
1952 William Fleming

Next is class C Champions

1939 Narrows defeated Bedford
1939 Warrenton defeated Blackstone
1940 Bedford
1941 Culpeper

Finally Im not sure what classification these are.

1925 South Norfolk Defeated Fredericksburg
1937 Covington Half State Champions
1937 Abington defeated Galax postseason game
1941 Clifton Forge defeated Suffolk
1946 Covington Half State Champions
1947 George Wythe Whythville Regional Champions
1947 Tazewell Regional Champions
1947 Blackstone
1948 Virginia Regional Championship
1948 Emporia defeated Schoolfield Regional Playoff
1949 Appalachia Regional Champions
1949 Covington defeated Highland Springs postseason
1950 Coeburn Regional Championship
1951 Bedford playoff win
1951 Richlands Regional Champion
1951 Pulaski defeated Lexington Blue Ridge Regional Championship
1952 Norton defeated Abington regional playoff

Last edited:
I made some edits and corrections. I also added 1925 Norton, 1949 Virginia, 1950 Coeburn, 1951 Liberty Bedford, and 1951 Richlands. If you know of anything I have left out let me know.

I wanted to chime in here with the results of my research over the years on state championships in Virginia.

Pre-1920
First, in many cases, playoff game were simply arranged. Everything was unofficial since there was no statewide governing body for football. The Virginia Literary and Athletic League didn't start overseeing football until 1920. And there were arguments, sometimes very heated arguments, over which teams had legitimate claims to championships.

>The Richmond Times-Dispatch on Nov. 24 says John Marshall claimed the Eastern State championship. JM then beat Roanoke 7-6 in an East-West game. JM lost only to Raleigh, N.C. and was 7-0 against Virginia schools before beating Roanoke.

>On Nov. 27, the Virginian-Pilot of Norfolk reported that Roanoke chose to play John Marshall (7-0-1) for the championship, rather than Maury, which was 8-0-1. Because of that Maury challenged the winner, but the Dec. 5 Times-Dispatch said JM would not play Maury, that the team had disbanded despite an offer from Virginia Tech for an expense-paid trip to Blacksburg to play Maury. So the Virginian-Pilot reported Maury won the Tidewater championship and tied John Marshall for the state championship.

1919 Jefferson Roanoke
>On Dec. 7, 1919, the Richmond Times-Dispatch printed that Roanoke’s 8-0 victory over John Marshall secured the state championship, but in the same newspaper, unbeaten Newport News issued a challenge to the winner. And two days later, Lynchburg disputed Roanoke’s championship. The Newport News Daily Press then said Newport News claimed the championship since it reported Roanoke declined to play the Typhoon, despite an offer from Virginia Tech to play host to the game. Newport News and John Marshall had played a scoreless tie early in the season.

1925 Norton
> According to newspapers, Norton and South Norfolk (now Oscar Smith) won half-state championships. The Newport News newspaper said Norton forfeited to South Norfolk, setting up an overall title game between Newport News and South Norfolk (more on that later)

1928 South Boston defeated Big Stone Gap
1928 Alexandria defeated Oceana
> The Virginian-Pilot said Alexandria beat Boston 31-12 for the Class B championship. In the semifinals, Alexandria beat Clifton Forge and South Boston beat Big Stone Gap. In the first round, Big Stone Gap beat Christiansburg and Alexandria beat Oceana.

> In the semifinals, Big Stone Gap and Saltville played to a 0-0 tie. The Big Stone Gap Post reported the Virginia Literary and Athletic League declared, because of the two ties, the three teams involved would share the title. Left out was Suffolk, which lost to Washington-Lee 20-0 in the other semifinal.

> The VLAL did away with Class B state championships in favor of half-state championships. William Byrd won the West, Suffolk in the East.

1934 Suffolk
> Suffolk and Clifton Forge were half-state champions.

1935 Suffolk
> Since Fredericksburg forfeited to Suffolk in the East and Narrows forfeited to Clifton Forge in the West, the VLAL let the teams play each other. Suffolk won 12-0.

1936 Fredericksburg
> Fredericksburg won in the East, Big Stone Gap in the West

1938 Fredericksburg
> Fredericksburg won in the East, Clifton Forge won in the West

1939 Fredericksburg
> Half-state champs. Fredericksburg beat Cradock 25-0

1940 Appalachia
> Half-state again, Appalachia in the West, Suffolk in the East.

1941 Appalachia
> Clifton Forge and Appalachia won their half-state titles, but decided not to play a state championship game.

1942 Martinsville
> Covington won the East, Martinsville the West. Covington beat Martinsville 26-0 in the championship game.

1943 Harrisonburg
> Harrisonburg in the East, William Fleming in the West

1944 Harrisonburg
> Harrisonburg in the East, Wytheville in the West

These are not state championship games. Class B schools could play regional championships, District 1 vs. 2, 3 vs 4, 5 vs 6 and 7 vs 8. They were not mandatory and there were no games past the regional games.
1946 Lexington
1952 William Fleming

1939 Narrows Class C playoff
> I'm missing some information here. I have Narrows winning the West, and Warrenton in the East, but I have no record of a championship game.

1941 Culpeper
> Culpeper beat Deep Creek 30-0 in the East, East Stone Gap beat Bedford by forfeit in the West because the Bedford coach died of a heart attack the week before the game.

1930 Marion
> Class B state championship game

1936 Big Stone Gap
> Half-state champion in the West. See 1936 above.

> Covington and Fredericksburg won half-state championship, but didn't play a championship game because they couldn't agree on a site.

1939 Warrenton
1939 Narrows
> See Class C above

> See Class B above

1942 Covington Half State Champions
> See Class B above

1945 Covington tied Suffolk 6-6 playoff
> Covington tied Suffolk in the Class B East, William Fleming won the West

See explanation of regional championship games above
1947 Blackstone
1951 Liberty Bedford playoff win
1951 Richlands Regional Champions

Final note: After the VLAL started Class B playoffs in 1925, it allowed the Class B champion to challenge the Class A champion for the overall title.

1925: Newport News pulled ahead in the second half and beat South Norfolk 47-6
1926: Bristol forfeited the overall championship game to Wilson, saying the Portsmouth school wouldn’t offer a guarantee that would cover Bristol’s expenses to come to Portsmouth

That was it. Beginning in 1927, Class A schools determined the state championship only by the regular season, something that didn't change until 1965.

Hope this helps .....

That is a great summary. The only thing I would add is that the word forfeit is often used when the word we would use today is "passed" or "declined". These games were not mandatory. Most of the time it was because the team that declined or passed could not raise the funds to make the trip and the host team could not guarantee expenses. Generally speaking the sites were alternated from year to year from district to district and east and west.

Reactions: Lynn Burke
I was looking thru Four Seasons football and found some state champions that are not listed in the VHSL reference. This list is not complete but I have a good start. Can someone add these to the VHSL Reference and also if you see anything that you can add go ahead and do that.

State Champions pre 1920

1917 Andrew Lewis
1919 Jefferson Roanoke

1925 Norton
1926 Virginia
1927 Charlottesville Lane
1934 Suffolk
1935 Suffolk
1936 Fredericksburg
1938 Fredericksburg
1939 Fredericksburg
1940 Appalachia
1941 Appalachia
1942 Martinsville
1943 Harrisonburg
1944 Harrisonburg
1945 Suffolk tied Covington 6-6
1945 William Flemming
1946 Lexington
1952 William Fleming

1940 Bedford
1941 Culpeper

1930 Marion
1936 Big Stone Gap
1939 Warrenton
1939 Narrows
1947 Blackstone
Some of the listed games are wrong for fourseasonsfootball EX) Andrew Lewis was not built until 1932. The 1917 title was won by the original Salem High School that caught on fire in 1931. The building was rebuilt and is the current City Hall building. So everything prior to 1932 for Andrew Lewis is the Original Salem High teams.

Reactions: mike salem
Added Class B William Byrd

No classification added these 1937 Abington, 1949 Covington, and 1952 Norton.

1928 I am not sure if Alexandria beat South Boston or C H Friend. fourseasons had South Boston but now has C H Friend listed as the opponent.

Thank you Lynn Burke for your input.

Some of the listed games are wrong for fourseasonsfootball EX) Andrew Lewis was not built until 1932. The 1917 title was won by the original Salem High School that caught on fire in 1931. The building was rebuilt and is the current City Hall building. So everything prior to 1932 for Andrew Lewis is the Original Salem High teams.
Do you happen to know what the original Salem teams were known as?

C. H. Friend was in South Boston. They are one and the same. It was custom back in the day to list a school by the city instead of its true name if the two differed. The post about Andrew Lewis and Salem is correct but they are listed together because Salem High became Andrew Lewis with no change in attendance area or consolidation. Andrew Lewis was just a continuation of the old Salem High. Same can be said for Roanoke High and Jefferson, Sr. and a handful of other schools throughout history.

Reactions: SFUWO
That is a great summary. The only thing I would add is that the word forfeit is often used when the word we would use today is "passed" or "declined". These games were not mandatory. Most of the time it was because the team that declined or passed could not raise the funds to make the trip and the host team could not guarantee expenses. Generally speaking the sites were alternated from year to year from district to district and east and we

Do you happen to know what the original Salem teams were known as?
I think they just went by the name of the town. The Salem museum and VHSL groups the 2 schools together for historical record purposes. The team colors on an old baseball uniform that was saved from the fire appears to be dark gray lettering on a light gray shirt.

If you find anything that needs to be updated send an email to the owner of fourseasonsfootball.com so that he can make corrections. That is what I am getting my information from.

According to the Salem High 1923 yearbook the colors were Blue and White. There is no sign that there was a mascot or nickname yet. This is not uncommon for that era.

Last edited:
Reactions: SFUWO
I added 1948 Emporia defeated Schoolfield Regional Playoff

Emporia is now Greensville County
Glen Allen is now Hermitage
Norton is now J I Burton
Fredericksburg is now James Monroe effective 1939
Bedford is now Liberty Bedford effective 1964
South Norfolk is now Oscar Smith

Last edited:
Lol I believe it was Glen Allens/Hermitage's coach back in the late 40's/early 50's who managed to tick off all his opposing coaches. Apparently leading up to games he would downplay his own team saying there was no way they were going to win, other team was so much better, etc.. And then when the Panthers would blow out said opponent he would then start talking to the papers about how everyone underestimated his team, opponent underestimated them, etc.. and he'd do this every week when it was clear the Panthers were far superior to any of their opponents before the games. I remember reading where some of the schools around Fredericksburg were calling him out for it.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
small title correction
This is the VHSL State Championship History.

According to the Salem High 1923 yearbook the colors were Blue and White. There is no sign that there was a mascot or nickname yet. This is not uncommon for that era.
Looks like all they did was change from Salem to Andrew Lewis.

Changed 1939 Fredericksburg to James Monroe as they changed the name of the High School in 1939.

I noticed on FSF that Liberty of Bedford was mentioned in the 1950's. I believe they were Bedford High up until 1964-65ish? I dont recall which teams data I was looking at when I saw that.

I have added a few teams and did some corrections over the past week. Still can't find anything for 1932 and 1933. If anyone finds anything add a comment and let the owner of four seasons know. Thank you.

Last edited:
I noticed on FSF that Liberty of Bedford was mentioned in the 1950's. I believe they were Bedford High up until 1964-65ish? I dont recall which teams data I was looking at when I saw that.
This is true. In the early days of my Virginia research I was learning. I also put Bedford down as Liberty just to keep things sorted out as I consider it one football program. You may find others like this such as Appomattox / Appomattox County.

I am still not finding anything for the 1932 and 1933 playoffs but I did find some undefeated teams from those years. They are listed below.

9-0 Appalachia
9-0 Charlottesville Lane
6-0 Crewe

11-0 Virginia High
8-0 Clifton Forge
7-0 William Byrd

I also am going to list Petersburg at 12-0. I am not sure if they played in the top level or lower level back then. If they did play in the top level you would think they would be state champions but they were not. The state champion for that year was E C Glass with a record of 4-4-2.

Games out of state and out of class did NOT count. Ties were NOT a black mark. Games vs Private schools did not count. E. C. Glass was 3-0-2 in class in 1933. You have to remember that the Class A system was designed by sports writers from the major cities: Richmond, Newport News, Hampton, Portsmouth, Lynchburg, and Roanoke. Eventually Alexandria. The smaller schools were controlled by the district arrangements.

For years the big schools resisted playoffs due to the Thanksgiving Day payoff rivalry games. The Maury-Granby game and the Thomas Jefferson-John Marshall game and the Hampton-Newport News game regularly drew over 20,000 fans. In 1969 the Maggie Walker - Armstrong game on Thanksgiving weekend drew about 26,000 fans. In 1975 Maggie Walker self eliminated themselves from the VHSL playoffs by refusing to end their regular season before the Thanksgiving Day game with Armstrong.

Last edited:
I am still not finding anything for the 1932 and 1933 playoffs but I did find some undefeated teams from those years. They are listed below.

9-0 Appalachia
9-0 Charlottesville Lane
6-0 Crewe

11-0 Virginia High
8-0 Clifton Forge
7-0 William Byrd

I also am going to list Petersburg at 12-0. I am not sure if they played in the top level or lower level back then. If they did play in the top level you would think they would be state champions but they were not. The state champion for that year was E C Glass with a record
There were no Class B playoffs in 1932 or 1933. The powers that be limited Class B schools to district championships only, according to what I've seen. It has been a while, but I think this information came from VLAL handbooks I found in the state library in Richmond. Also, Petersburg did not play in Class A in 1933. There were 9 Class A schools according to the standings the newspapers published: E.C. Glass, Newport News, John Marshall, Maury, GW-Danville, Wilson, Jefferson Senior, Hampton and Thomas Jefferson.

That is a great summary. The only thing I would add is that the word forfeit is often used when the word we would use today is "passed" or "declined". These games were not mandatory. Most of the time it was because the team that declined or passed could not raise the funds to make the trip and the host team could not guarantee expenses. Generally speaking the sites were alternated from year to year from district to district and east and west.
Hey, off topic... the coach at Washington and Lee is now John Pierce, not Joe Taylor for the 2021 season.

I wanted to chime in here with the results of my research over the years on state championships in Virginia.

Pre-1920
First, in many cases, playoff game were simply arranged. Everything was unofficial since there was no statewide governing body for football. The Virginia Literary and Athletic League didn't start overseeing football until 1920. And there were arguments, sometimes very heated arguments, over which teams had legitimate claims to championships.

>The Richmond Times-Dispatch on Nov. 24 says John Marshall claimed the Eastern State championship. JM then beat Roanoke 7-6 in an East-West game. JM lost only to Raleigh, N.C. and was 7-0 against Virginia schools before beating Roanoke.

>On Nov. 27, the Virginian-Pilot of Norfolk reported that Roanoke chose to play John Marshall (7-0-1) for the championship, rather than Maury, which was 8-0-1. Because of that Maury challenged the winner, but the Dec. 5 Times-Dispatch said JM would not play Maury, that the team had disbanded despite an offer from Virginia Tech for an expense-paid trip to Blacksburg to play Maury. So the Virginian-Pilot reported Maury won the Tidewater championship and tied John Marshall for the state championship.

1919 Jefferson Roanoke
>On Dec. 7, 1919, the Richmond Times-Dispatch printed that Roanoke’s 8-0 victory over John Marshall secured the state championship, but in the same newspaper, unbeaten Newport News issued a challenge to the winner. And two days later, Lynchburg disputed Roanoke’s championship. The Newport News Daily Press then said Newport News claimed the championship since it reported Roanoke declined to play the Typhoon, despite an offer from Virginia Tech to play host to the game. Newport News and John Marshall had played a scoreless tie early in the season.

1925 Norton
> According to newspapers, Norton and South Norfolk (now Oscar Smith) won half-state championships. The Newport News newspaper said Norton forfeited to South Norfolk, setting up an overall title game between Newport News and South Norfolk (more on that later)

> The Virginian-Pilot said Alexandria beat Boston 31-12 for the Class B championship. In the semifinals, Alexandria beat Clifton Forge and South Boston beat Big Stone Gap. In the first round, Big Stone Gap beat Christiansburg and Alexandria beat Oceana.

> In the semifinals, Big Stone Gap and Saltville played to a 0-0 tie. The Big Stone Gap Post reported the Virginia Literary and Athletic League declared, because of the two ties, the three teams involved would share the title. Left out was Suffolk, which lost to Washington-Lee 20-0 in the other semifinal.

> The VLAL did away with Class B state championships in favor of half-state championships. William Byrd won the West, Suffolk in the East.

1934 Suffolk

1935 Suffolk
> Since Fredericksburg forfeited to Suffolk in the East and Narrows forfeited to Clifton Forge in the West, the VLAL let the teams play each other. Suffolk won 12-0.

1936 Fredericksburg

1938 Fredericksburg

1939 Fredericksburg

1940 Appalachia

1941 Appalachia
> Clifton Forge and Appalachia won their half-state titles, but decided not to play a state championship game.

1942 Martinsville
> Covington won the East, Martinsville the West. Covington beat Martinsville 26-0 in the championship game.

1943 Harrisonburg

1944 Harrisonburg

These are not state championship games. Class B schools could play regional championships, District 1 vs. 2, 3 vs 4, 5 vs 6 and 7 vs 8. They were not mandatory and there were no games past the regional games.
1946 Lexington
1952 William Fleming

> I'm missing some information here. I have Narrows winning the West, and Warrenton in the East, but I have no record of a championship game.

1941 Culpeper
> Culpeper beat Deep Creek 30-0 in the East, East Stone Gap beat Bedford by forfeit in the West because the Bedford coach died of a heart attack the week before the game.

1930 Marion

1936 Big Stone Gap

> Covington and Fredericksburg won half-state championship, but didn't play a championship game because they couldn't agree on a site.

1939 Warrenton
1939 Narrows
> See Class C above

> See Class B above

> See Class B above

1947 Blackstone

Final note: After the VLAL started Class B playoffs in 1925, it allowed the Class B champion to challenge the Class A champion for the overall title.
1925: Newport News pulled in the second half and beat South Norfolk 47-6
1926: Bristol forfeited the overall championship game to Wilson, saying the Portsmouth school wouldn’t offer a guarantee that would cover Bristol’s expenses to come to Portsmouth

That was it. Beginning in 1927, Class A schools determined the state championship only by the regular season, something that didn't change until 1965.

Hope this helps .....
Lynn were you able to get any of these championships updated in http://fourseasonsfootball.com/

Reminder if any of you have any updates to these champions please contact the admin on fourseasonsfootball.com so he can update them. Thank you.

Lol I believe it was Glen Allens/Hermitage's coach back in the late 40's/early 50's who managed to tick off all his opposing coaches. Apparently leading up to games he would downplay his own team saying there was no way they were going to win, other team was so much better, etc.. And then when the Panthers would blow out said opponent he would then start talking to the papers about how everyone underestimated his team, opponent underestimated them, etc.. and he'd do this every week when it was clear the Panthers were far superior to any of their opponents before the games. I remember reading where some of the schools around Fredericksburg were calling him out for it.
Sounds like Tom Turner from Appalachia. Always poor mouthing his own team leading up to the game and then brag, brag, brag after a win.

Sounds like Tom Turner from Appalachia. Always poor mouthing his own team leading up to the game and then brag, brag, brag after a win.
I read stories on swva sports about Appalachia way back in the day arriving to Gate City by school bus with 30 kids in full pads and getting off the bus 5 minutes before kickoff, smacked GC around, and immediately went back on the bus in full pads, and pulled away within 10 minutes of the game ending. If true, that is pretty bad as%.

Pre-1920

1919 Jefferson Roanoke

1925 Norton

1934 Suffolk

1935 Suffolk

1936 Fredericksburg

1938 Fredericksburg

1939 Fredericksburg

1940 Appalachia

1941 Appalachia

1942 Martinsville

1943 Harrisonburg

1944 Harrisonburg

1946 Lexington
1952 William Fleming

1941 Culpeper

1930 Marion

1936 Big Stone Gap

1939 Warrenton
1939 Narrows
> See Class C above

> See Class B above

> See Class B above

1947 Blackstone

1925: Newport News pulled ahead in the second half and beat South Norfolk 47-6

Hope this helps .....
I see that Manchester beat Thomas Dale for the Group II District 2 Championship in 1952. Did that differ from Class A and B? Some of the championships get a tad fuzzy back in the day. Did Manchester or Dale have a chance at a state title? Also, were there final state rankings released by AP during any of these times?

I see that Manchester beat Thomas Dale for the Group II District 2 Championship in 1952. Did that differ from Class A and B? Some of the championships get a tad fuzzy back in the day. Did Manchester or Dale have a chance at a state title? Also, were there final state rankings released by AP during any of these times?

Until the mid-40s, large schools were in Class A, medium-sized schools were in Class B and the smallest county schools were in Class C. (And for a couple of years, there was a Class D for the really tiny schools).

The VHSL renamed classes to groups in the mid-40s, making large schools Group I, mid-sized schools Group II and the smallest schools Group III. So Group II was the equivalent of the old Group AA that we're most familiar with.

To confuse the issue, around 1960, some of the smaller Group Is school and larger Group II schools formed Group I-B. Group I then became Group I-A. But i-B schools only played for district championships.

Back then, there were no state playoffs. Basically, the Class A/Group I winner was determined on a statewide percentage basis, later a points system. Newspapers carried the standings usually on Mondays and there could be 45 or 50 schools in the list. The first statewide playoffs as we know today began in 1970, though the large schools - by then known as Group AAA - didn't start until 1971. Until then, any non-Class A/Group I school could only play for a district championship (see at the end).

However, at some point in the early 1960s, the VHSL said if the top two Group I-A teams tied on a points system, there would be a playoff. Off the top of my head, the first one was 1965 or so when Annandale beat Granby. (My wife went to Granby and recalls going to the game). Until the
Some notes off the top of my head:

From 1967 to 1970, Group I-A schools held four regional championships and the team or teams with the best percentage record was declared state champion.

And to confuse the issue even more, in the late 1940s and early 1950s, Group II schools could play for a regional championship, District 1 (Tidewater schools) against District 2 (Richmond to Fredericsburg), 3 vs. 4, 5 vs. 6 and, in western Virginia, 7 vs. 8. However, these were not mandatory, only suggested. Some were played, most, it seems, weren't.

Hope this helps. If I have confused anyone, I'll try to clarify.

I read stories on swva sports about Appalachia way back in the day arriving to Gate City by school bus with 30 kids in full pads and getting off the bus 5 minutes before kickoff, smacked GC around, and immediately went back on the bus in full pads, and pulled away within 10 minutes of the game ending. If true, that is pretty bad as%.
It’s true. Was quiet the rivalry. Dated back to the days of Ed Clarke vs Jeff Baker era. Heck just dated myself. I remember one year GC gave up only 6 points. Yelp to the Stonega Stallion on the old GC field. GC went 10-0 I believe. No playoffs then.

Until the mid-40s, large schools were in Class A, medium-sized schools were in Class B and the smallest county schools were in Class C. (And for a couple of years, there was a Class D for the really tiny schools).

The VHSL renamed classes to groups in the mid-40s, making large schools Group I, mid-sized schools Group II and the smallest schools Group III. So Group II was the equivalent of the old Group AA that we're most familiar with.

To confuse the issue, around 1960, some of the smaller Group Is school and larger Group II schools formed Group I-B. Group I then became Group I-A. But i-B schools only played for district championships.

Back then, there were no state playoffs. Basically, the Class A/Group I winner was determined on a statewide percentage basis, later a points system. Newspapers carried the standings usually on Mondays and there could be 45 or 50 schools in the list. The first statewide playoffs as we know today began in 1970, though the large schools - by then known as Group AAA - didn't start until 1971. Until then, any non-Class A/Group I school could only play for a district championship (see at the end).

However, at some point in the early 1960s, the VHSL said if the top two Group I-A teams tied on a points system, there would be a playoff. Off the top of my head, the first one was 1965 or so when Annandale beat Granby. (My wife went to Granby and recalls going to the game). Until the
Some notes off the top of my head:

From 1967 to 1970, Group I-A schools held four regional championships and the team or teams with the best percentage record was declared state champion.

And to confuse the issue even more, in the late 1940s and early 1950s, Group II schools could play for a regional championship, District 1 (Tidewater schools) against District 2 (Richmond to Fredericsburg), 3 vs. 4, 5 vs. 6 and, in western Virginia, 7 vs. 8. However, these were not mandatory, only suggested. Some were played, most, it seems, weren't.

Hope this helps. If I have confused anyone, I'll try to clarify.
This really helps. I was looking up some historical games for my alma mater followed by the newspaper articles about those games. Made me a tad dizzy trying to understand that from the articles I read, but I appreciate you breaking it down for me.

Oh their stories are indeed legendary. Appalachia did this in 1989 (I went to Blacksburg at Courtland that day) when they played at Madison County and won a state title.

If you go to http://fourseasonsfootball.com and email them about the championship in 1952 they will update it on their site. That is where I am getting my information.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT