ADVERTISEMENT

State championship venues

OCBoy

VaPreps All Region
Nov 12, 2001
Do the championships remain where they are this year or when is it voted on to be switched?

Probably ca
Do the championships remain where they are this year or when is it voted on to be switched?
Probably can come soon enough. I remember a lot of complaints about venue, parking an traffic. Which i can believe i avoid east of Richmond because of I-64 amlone

I think 6-4A should be at UVA and 3-1A at Liberty. But I have a feeling JMU will be back in play the next time the sites change.
6/5A Richmond 4/3A JMU 2/1A Salem

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Big venues just doesn’t have the same atmosphere as LU
I agree... However, when 6 teams are playing at 1 location it increases the number of fans and makes for a better atmosphere. Lots of stats do it and it works great!

I think 6-4A should be at UVA and 3-1A at Liberty. But I have a feeling JMU will be back in play the next time the sites change.
6/5A Richmond 4/3A JMU 2/1A Salem
UR would be perfect to host some games. Believe it or not, it’s just as nice as Liberty. Maybe rotate em like they do in basketball. Keep 1a and 2a in Salem and rotate UVA, UR, and W&M for 5a/6a and JMU/Liberty, UR, and W&M for 3a/4a.

Reactions: OCBoy
VHSL should buy some land along I-64 between Charlottesville and Richmond and built a small stadium that would seat between 6,000 and 8,000 with a turf playing field.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
VHSL should buy some land along I-64 between Charlottesville and Richmond and built a small stadium that would seat between 6,000 and 8,000 with a turf playing field.
Lol, that would be right smack in Louisa or Goochland. That sure would boost the two schools' programs even more!

This shouldn't be very difficult, yet whomever votes on this continues to screw things up. Make it easy and put the D1-D3 championship games at VT or Salem and put the D4-D6 games at UVA. Play the games at 12pm, 3:30pm and 7pm.

Not saying it is a bad idea, but the average game is about 2-2 1/2 hours? So where do the 2nd and 3rd game teams warm up? Every team has a routine they go through each game, more than he prior to game. It's not as easy as game start at this time, etc. Been to many a state game, have trophy presentations and then warm ups for teams in between games.

Games in Class 1&2 Thursday 3&4 Friday and 5&6 Saturday. Have start times at maybe 1:00 and 6:00. Nothing is going to satisfy everybody but you got to start somewhere.

Games in Class 1&2 Thursday 3&4 Friday and 5&6 Saturday. Have start times at maybe 1:00 and 6:00. Nothing is going to satisfy everybody but you got to start somewhere.

That would certainly not be a good answer. Whether fair or not, you are propping up the bigger schools. So those schools get to not miss anything, while the others have to change their routine, miss school, fans miss work or not be able to attend at home.

I am not understanding everyone's complaint every year or a lot that all games should be at 1 location. The only people that benefits is fans who want to see all the games. It certainly doesn't benefit the ones that are important, the players and coaches. In fact, for every group lower it is a disadvantage. Thursday games gives you hardly any time to prepare.

Everyone remember it's about the PLAYERS, not the fans

Let me give it a try...

Classes 1, 3, and 5 at one location.
Classes 2, 4, and 6 at another location.

Game 1 Friday night at 7:00
Game 2 Saturday afternoon at 1:00
Game 3 Saturday night at 7:00

Rotate who plays when. Let all interested venues bid each year. Whoever can offer the KIDS the best Championship experience wins the bidding!

Problem Solved!

Let me give it a try...

Rotate who plays when. Let all interested venues bid each year. Whoever can offer the KIDS the best Championship experience wins the bidding!

Problem Solved!

This is a better option than the last, but I can't see how rotating will help some of the problems. Sure it may with times, but the issue seems to be locations for travel.

Let me give it a try...

Problem Solved!
That’s what NC does. Make the games all one day. 11am/3pm/7pm on a turf field.

Does everyone think the state universities are the best venues to hold the games?
VT, UVA, etc are just so big that I think it takes away from the true feel of a HS game where I think crowd noise, packed house, etc are a non-factor.

Are there stadiums, D3 schools, etc in the state that could accommodate such environment?

If you are going to put three at a location you need turf. Last team could very well have a tore up field if the weather is not good if it is on grass.

Don't like the idea of any team getting a short week, even if it is only one day. Plus Friday games will kill fan support if team has to drive any distance.

Reactions: wikki
Its like its one step forward and two steps back when were taking about this.

If you ask the kids where they'd like to play, I bet all of them would say a college stadium. No one wants to play at Westfield or Centerville. That's NOT an "experience." Making it to a state championship game is a major accomplishment and it should be treated as such! Criteria should be: Turf playing surface, seating capacity around 10,000, and the willingness to make it a special event for the teams JMU, ODU, VMI, Richmond, Salem, Liberty, William and Mary, Hampton, etc.

New Jersey is big into HS football. The bigger divisions - our 4,5 & 6 play at NFL Stadium the Giants/jets play and the Smaller divisions at several different college stadiums. It is a reward to play at these sites. Too bad Virginia turned the Redskins down for a Stadium in Loudoun county a number of years ago!

If you ask the kids where they'd like to play, I bet all of them would say a college stadium. No one wants to play at Westfield or Centerville. That's NOT an "experience." Making it to a state championship game is a major accomplishment and it should be treated as such! Criteria should be: Turf playing surface, seating capacity around 10,000, and the willingness to make it a special event for the teams JMU, ODU, VMI, Richmond, Salem, Liberty, William and Mary, Hampton, etc.
I agree but I was answering a question in reference to what fields could hold that capacity for a state championship

Westfield or Centreville could host on their fields
Not large enough stadiums and/or parking for a state game. WF officially holds about 6K (I have personally seen about 8K in the stadium, but that was years ago) and has potential overflow parking at nearby office complexes (if on weekends). Centreville holds more, but could never come close to the parking for a crowd like that. When they come close to a sellout (maybe 75%) cars are parked all over on the side streets. And VHSL wants money for parking, which means they lose out.....

Reactions: OCBoy
Contracts up after this year, but don't know when everything else is done
And lets hope things get a bit better when the next contracts are signed, but I am at a loss to see how. One administrator told me several places (i.e., UR) don't want the VHSL because they are, let's say, difficult. HU wanted the games so they could showcase their university to a large group of potential students-one reason Class 5 & Class 6 have been there the past two years. I am guessing here, but UVA was probably dropped because of the cost (and the VHSL has lost money overall the past two years). JMU is often playing in the FBS playoffs at this time of year. No facility north of Richmond can handle the crowds expected for a championship game. The distribution of schools within each class is, on the whole, not conducive to many locations.

Not a whole lot of options.......

And lets hope things get a bit better when the next contracts are signed, but I am at a loss to see how. One administrator told me several places (i.e., UR) don't want the VHSL because they are, let's say, difficult. HU wanted the games so they could showcase their university to a large group of potential students-one reason Class 5 & Class 6 have been there the past two years. I am guessing here, but UVA was probably dropped because of the cost (and the VHSL has lost money overall the past two years). JMU is often playing in the FBS playoffs at this time of year. No facility north of Richmond can handle the crowds expected for a championship game. The distribution of schools within each class is, on the whole, not conducive to many locations.

Not a whole lot of options.......
It’s easy to get around the JMU thing. Play two on a Friday. They play during the week for basketball

It’s easy to get around the JMU thing. Play two on a Friday. They play during the week for basketball
I disagree. It's a logistical nightmare I'm sure for a team that's hosting the playoffs more often than not. They need the field for walk throughs, opposing team to use the field, along with parking and having a mass influx of people during finals week for most universities can't be easy.

I disagree. It's a logistical nightmare I'm sure for a team that's hosting the playoffs more often than not. They need the field for walk throughs, opposing team to use the field, along with parking and having a mass influx of people during finals week for most universities can't be easy.
Same problem could arise at Liberty or WM now if they were to make the postseason

BREAKING NEWS!!!! The city of Salem has approved the budget to place a roof over Salem Stadium. I have heard from a trusted unnamed source that this is being done with the intention of bringing all 6 divisional VHSL state championships to a single location. Problem solved!

TIC... #FakeNews

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT