ADVERTISEMENT

State Finals: Lake Taylor vs Woodgrove

Who wins?

• Woodgrove

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • Lake Taylor

Votes: 46 60.5%

• Total voters
If they pass well and slow up LT s little, Woodgrove in a squeaker. You can pass on LT. You just have to slow down that Veer.

If they pass well and slow up LT s little, Woodgrove in a squeaker. You can pass on LT. You just have to slow down that Veer.
I have the utmost confidence in our Coaches to prepare the lads for Lake Taylor.

We can pass when we need to.

Should be a GREAT Game!!!

I thank God Rt. 81 is tame tonight!

That’s always the issue. Can’t play zone and take away the veer unless you just have studs. So playing man to man leaves a lot of one on one battles that LT usually wins. Von Harvey 5 catches for 211 including the catch down to the EV 6 for the go ahead TD. LT got the run game going later in the game when they wore on the EV defense.

Today it was the opposite. EV slowed down the veer but gave up way too many passing yards
True- we pretty much stopped LTs WR passes but couldn’t contain the Qb keepers and screen passes to the RB - accounted for 4/5 TDs. Today was the opposite- LTs offense is very diverse, the most I saw this year. Next week what does Woodgrove concentrate on?

Woodgrove will have to force turnovers in this game. If they don’t I feel that they won’t have enough offense to keep the veer off of the field. Granted Broad Run is a good Div 5 school. They were able to rack up a lot of rushing yards vs Woodgrove. From the video that I watched a lot of that was right up the middle of the field. So watch out for the dive. LT likes to run the dive then faking the dive with the QB running the option. LT is of the caliber if not better than the 2 teams Woodgrove lost to by multiple scores. I predict LT 42 woodgrove 14.

Woodgrove will have to force turnovers in this game. If they don’t I feel that they won’t have enough offense to keep the veer off of the field. Granted Broad Run is a good Div 5 school. They were able to rack up a lot of rushing yards vs Woodgrove. From the video that I watched a lot of that was right up the middle of the field. So watch out for the dive. LT likes to run the dive then faking the dive with the QB running the option. LT is of the caliber if not better than the 2 teams Woodgrove lost to by multiple scores. I predict LT 42 woodgrove 14.
Coach Skinner will have a similar game plan as EV did. Can Woodgrove sustain drives to keep the LT offense off the field? My prediction 34-24 Lake Taylor

Reactions: Lafayette and SFUWO
Coach Skinner will have a similar game plan as EV did. Can Woodgrove sustain drives to keep the LT offense off the field? My prediction 34-24 Lake Taylor
Sure that film will be passed around. Looks like the same plan ICN had against LT.

Reactions: OCBoy
Problem isn’t with LT Offense , “ oh it’s the Veer,:oops:o_O”. Problem is the Defense. And I think Woodgrove is bet
Norcom.

I dont quite understand some people's logic. Before yesterday, I think the majority opinion was that undefeated Blacksburg was the favorite for the championship. Woodgrove beats them, and now Woodgrove is worse than multiple teams, including 3a team who is out, and will be beat by at least double digits?

I realize different styles, but I think the team deserves respect for the turnaround it seems like they had, for holding Blacksburg like they did, for the Sherando win, and to not be expected to get blown out

I dont quite understand some people's logic. Before yesterday, I think the majority opinion was that undefeated Blacksburg was the favorite for the championship. Woodgrove beats them, and now Woodgrove is worse than multiple teams, including 3a team who is out, and will be beat by at least double digits?

I realize different styles, but I think the team deserves respect for the turnaround it seems like they had, for holding Blacksburg like they did, for the Sherando win, and to not be expected to get blown out

No worries Gunz!

Woodgrove's Shock & Maul 2018 Tour concludes Saturday @ 4:30 @ Liberty University!
See ya there!

Reactions: ClarkeFan83

I have had LT as my favorite to win since about week 3. I’m pretty sure that I have not stated Blacksburg as being my favorite to win state. I had Glass as the favorite to go to state. Winning a tough game in the semi vs Sherando. At least I was wrong with those 2 games. Don’t get bent out of shape because I think a team is going to win. I don’t determine who wins the game. That’s up to the kids.

Reactions: CavsGrad
Two totally different teams in multiple ways. Maybe interesting for both teams. I assume they have never played each other before?

Norcom was playing really good football at the end of the season. Losing to Phoebus in 2 OT. I’m pretty sure they would definitely be in a tight game with Woodgrove.

Two totally different teams in multiple ways. Maybe interesting for both teams. I assume they have never played each other before?
I agree it will be interesting. They have never played each other. Turnovers and penalties have been LT’s achellies hill

I agree it will be interesting. They have never played each other. Turnovers and penalties have been LT’s achellies hill

When you have never seen someone it makes things interesting. If Woodgrove gets into a shoot out with LT then I think they will lose. I saw some brief footage of Woodgrove and they look to have a few bigger ball carriers and a good sized TE. If LT can stop the Woodgrove run I think they win. However, If Woodgrove can grind it out and slip in some well timed pass routes... tht may frusterated LT a bit. I do not think Woodgrove will be able to stop LT with consistency... Woodgrove is a smart team and won’t beat themselves but I still think LT has the best prospect in class 4 in Malik Newton. I’ll take LT 33-26

Reactions: SFUWO
I have had LT as my favorite to win since about week 3. I’m pretty sure that I have not stated Blacksburg as being my favorite to win state. I had Glass as the favorite to go to state. Winning a tough game in the semi vs Sherando. At least I was wrong with those 2 games. Don’t get bent out of shape because I think a team is going to win. I don’t determine who wins the game. That’s up to the kids.

I didn't say you or everyone had them as favorite, but it seemed like a bunch did.

I have no affiliation to either team, don't care who wins. Just seems like they are getting little respect.

Look at it this way, and I don't know if you were one or not, but there were long arguments on here over the last year from all angles not about who was the best team, but people thinking different teams were 2nd best team. I believe I even saw in the past week or 2 that because of what Blacksburg has done THIS year that it proved they were 2nd best team last year.

Majority of people may pick LT. Maybe they are by far the better team, but to expect them to get blown out just doesn't seem right to me.

Reactions: mbonape1
I didn't say you or everyone had them as favorite, but it seemed like a bunch did.

I have no affiliation to either team, don't care who wins. Just seems like they are getting little respect.

Look at it this way, and I don't know if you were one or not, but there were long arguments on here over the last year from all angles not about who was the best team, but people thinking different teams were 2nd best team. I believe I even saw in the past week or 2 that because of what Blacksburg has done THIS year that it proved they were 2nd best team last year.

Majority of people may pick LT. Maybe they are by far the better team, but to expect them to get blown out just doesn't seem right to me.
I saw where someone said that Blacksburg was the second best team last yr. they were a tough matchup for Salem last yr but Lions were the 2nd best team. Woodgrove is a solid team and could prove me wrong. If they win Div 4 will have a new champ next yr because they are moving up.

Lake Taylor has a unique system executed by excellent athletes. Playing them for the first time usually causes some problems. Woodgrove will attempt to do the same thing they did to Blacksburg----ground and pound--ball control. I thought the front four of Blacksburg would prevent Woodgrove from controlling the ball--- they did not. Lake Taylor's style of Defense, 9 in the box, will prevent Woodgrove from controlling the ball. I was very surprised that Woodgrove controlled Blacksburgs speed, but Blacksburg never established a running game and Woodgrove was able to control the game. Lake Taylor 28 .Woodgrove 14
Bad weather will help Woodgrove allowing the game to be a toss up 14-13

More of a surprise passing game. Big good receivers but they are used most of the time when you over commit to stop the run and they catch you with play action. However, they butter their bread with the power run game. I would be even more certain about this game but Woodgrove showed they could control speed when they beat Blacksburg. Blacksburg never established an inside running game against Woodgrove. We all know that Lake Taylor will not give up on the interior run game. Therefore, I look for Lake Taylor to have more success. However, bad weather plays into the hands of Woodgrove. Bad weather brings a greater chance of turnovers into the equation and that has always been a bug a boo for Lake Taylor.

I’ll take Woodgrove. I don’t know much about them but I think they’re well coached. Hopefully they use a short passing game over the middle. If there defense has sure tacklers they’ll be ok. Just don’t try to tackle #3 high...not smart. LT’s QB is the weak link in that offence if you ask me. Not a great passer and loose with the ball on pitches.

I’ll take Woodgrove. I don’t know much about them but I think they’re well coached. Hopefully they use a short passing game over the middle. If there defense has sure tacklers they’ll be ok. Just don’t try to tackle #3 high...not smart. LT’s QB is the weak link in that offence if you ask me. Not a great passer and loose with the ball on pitches.
Man EV should be ashamed of themselves letting a weak link throw for over 300 yards. Granted it wasn't his best day running the option, but it had a lot to do with how EV defended it. You have been down on LT the whole time so your pick is expected. Great season by the EV team and coaches they played their hearts out.

Reactions: 1Gensfan and OCBoy
Man EV should be ashamed of themselves letting a weak link throw for over 300 yards. Granted it wasn't his best day running the option, but it had a lot to do with how EV defended it. You have been down on LT the whole time so your pick is expected. Great season by the EV team and coaches they played their hearts out.
Hey they got guys that can catch and run. No doubt about that. You can’t tell me he’s a great passer of the ball. Not much debate there. My guess is 90% of that 300 yards were YAC.

Hey they got guys that can catch and run. No doubt about that. You can’t tell me he’s a great passer of the ball. Not much debate there. My guess is 90% of that 300 yards were YAC.

Sounds like there is a possibility of a debate. And IF you haven't seen the young man play every game, there is no way you can say he isnt, just that he wasn't in game you saw. Besides, no reason to talk negatively about a KID on here, even if you are correct.

Not throwing the ball much down field also doesn't exclude someone from not being a good thrower of the ball. A lot of QBs now throw a lot underneath.

Are you that upset about the loss that you have to resort to downing the team that just beat you?

Reactions: DEVILSLB99
Sounds like there is a possibility of a debate. And IF you haven't seen the young man play every game, there is no way you can say he isnt, just that he wasn't in game you saw. Besides, no reason to talk negatively about a KID on here, even if you are correct.

Not throwing the ball much down field also doesn't exclude someone from not being a good thrower of the ball. A lot of QBs now throw a lot underneath.

Are you that upset about the loss that you have to resort to downing the team that just beat you?
Good grief you all sure have some thin skin. Who’s talking negative? I know nothing about the kids character. If you can’t comment on performance then wtf. Ok...he didn’t pass it well downfield on Saturday. I’ve never seen him play other than that. IMO, if you keep #3 in check, they are very beatable.

Lake Taylor won that game and good luck to them. EV held the veer under 100 yards in rushing but couldn’t contain that same screen that was working all game. The Lake Taylor QB got the ball to Harvey and he couldn’t be stopped. Eastern View had its chances to win but failed to convert on 4th and inches as well as many other things. Lake Taylor had its chances of blowing EV out too. Very good game and again good luck to Lake Taylor.

Good grief you all sure have some thin skin. Who’s talking negative? I know nothing about the kids character. If you can’t comment on performance then wtf. Ok...he didn’t pass it well downfield on Saturday. I’ve never seen him play other than that. IMO, if you keep #3 in check, they are very beatable.

If you think I care who won, you are very mistaken. Just don't like to see ANY kid talked negatively about. You know, the ones that actually matter, the ones who are playing the games.

It just gets bad when everywhere you look, news, sports, etc that what seems to rule the day is arguments and negativity. Sure it was probably about the same 30 years ago, but there wasn't as much exposure to it, whereas now it seems like 90 % of the time people are looking at the negative or trying to explain away when something doesn't go their way.

And this certainly isn't directed just at you, this game, or this season.

It seems that nowadays that we just want to jump to the negative. We have to tell it exactly how it is, instead of saying so and so just isn't as good as the other, its they suck. Instead of being outmatched its they got stomped or that they need to work harder so they dont suffer the same fate.

Just seems to me that we all need to remember the reason we are here, for a love of high school sports, and the kids that are out on the playing surface competing. They are doing what they can because they love what they are doing, none of them deserve to have all the negativity directed towards them.

Rant over. God Bless

Lake Taylor won that game and good luck to them. EV held the veer under 100 yards in rushing but couldn’t contain that same screen that was working all game. The Lake Taylor QB got the ball to Harvey and he couldn’t be stopped. Eastern View had its chances to win but failed to convert on 4th and inches as well as many other things. Lake Taylor had its chances of blowing EV out too. Very good game and again good luck to Lake Taylor.
EV sold out to take away the veer which they did early. When LT needed to run it late they got some things going. Some missed reads out there but that’s part of the game. EV played man on the back end and it burned them. Great offensive gameplan by EV.

The Qb an LT a weak link?? IMO not at all. I saw a Qb that throws well, runs the veer very well and is super dangerous on the run. He is one of LT strong links- ,

The Qb an LT a weak link?? IMO not at all. I saw a Qb that throws well, runs the veer very well and is super dangerous on the run. He is one of LT strong links- ,
You saw the game Saturday? He is a good QB. As far as dealing with that team, all I’m saying is making them throw to beat you is the better option, and deeper the throw, the better your chances. They will kill you with the slant/shorter routes. Weak link = lesser of a few evils.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT