ADVERTISEMENT

State of Hermitage Football

Aug 12, 2011
I was going to hold off until after the Henrico game this week, but honestly I expect more of what we saw against Highland Springs this past Friday night.
I would like to start with, Highland Springs was a machine...I do not see them losing this year. No matter who coached Herm Friday night, HS was going to win.
Now, Herm had 6 unsportsmanlike penalties and probably 10 illegal procedure penalties. They looked like a team that had not practiced together at all.
Things got a little chippy late in the game and the HS players refused to get involved and showed the type of coaching they were getting. It was impressive...kudos Laren Johnson!
It is not fair to judge Derrick Johnson after one game, but his kids were not prepared and showed NONE of the training that has occurred over the last 17 years at Hermitage. At first I was embarrassed by the performance but became sad at the state of affairs as the game wore on. Hearsay in the stands was not what I would call positive from the parents about how practices are run and the type of coaching received. When three top players leave after a coaching change, you have to wonder if they saw what was coming.
And the last observation - what in the heck was he thinking about moving the home team to the opposite side of the field!!!!!! One of the thing teams have complained about for many years is coming to Herm and having no fans on their side line. The Herm coach made this a home game for the Springers!

I was going to hold off until after the Henrico game this week, but honestly I expect more of what we saw against Highland Springs this past Friday night.
I would like to start with, Highland Springs was a machine...I do not see them losing this year. No matter who coached Herm Friday night, HS was going to win.
Now, Herm had 6 unsportsmanlike penalties and probably 10 illegal procedure penalties. They looked like a team that had not practiced together at all.
Things got a little chippy late in the game and the HS players refused to get involved and showed the type of coaching they were getting. It was impressive...kudos Laren Johnson!
It is not fair to judge Derrick Johnson after one game, but his kids were not prepared and showed NONE of the training that has occurred over the last 17 years at Hermitage. At first I was embarrassed by the performance but became sad at the state of affairs as the game wore on. Hearsay in the stands was not what I would call positive from the parents about how practices are run and the type of coaching received. When three top players leave after a coaching change, you have to wonder if they saw what was coming.
And the last observation - what in the heck was he thinking about moving the home team to the opposite side of the field!!!!!! One of the thing teams have complained about for many years is coming to Herm and having no fans on their side line. The Herm coach made this a home game for the Springers!
I read some posts on Hermitage Football's Facebook Page and clearly the Herm fan base, etc. are not happy about, not only the nature of that game's outcome, but the way it is being coached. I would say, if things don't change quick, fast and in a hurry, there's going to be an outrage kver on Hungry Spring Rd!

I tried to tell you. I don't know the Coach from Adam. He may be a wonderful man, but after watching him work at Matoaca I could not see him maintaining the Hermitage tradition. Hell, its just one game, so I may be totally wrong. The views and concerns expressed from Hermitage fans are the same ones expressed by Matoaca faithful last year. Being a good assistant doesn't always translate to the head coaching realm. Organization and discipline are two major keys. Oops!

You definitely tried to tell us, but I was hoping there was enough talent on the field to help him through the learning curve. It appears he is so anxious to put his stamp on the team that he has thrown out all tradition. I understand wanting to have an impression, but my gosh he sure didn't accomplish that. I am not as close to the team as I was in the past, but I expected to come see CJ Jackson carry the ball many times. Either he is injured, not on the team, or the coach decided he wasn't one of the best ball carriers in the district.

You definitely tried to tell us, but I was hoping there was enough talent on the field to help him through the learning curve. It appears he is so anxious to put his stamp on the team that he has thrown out all tradition. I understand wanting to have an impression, but my gosh he sure didn't accomplish that. I am not as close to the team as I was in the past, but I expected to come see CJ Jackson carry the ball many times. Either he is injured, not on the team, or the coach decided he wasn't one of the best ball carriers in the district.
I heard in a video of the Hermitage/Green Run Scrimmage that CJ was injured and could miss 3 to 4 weeks.. So, I am pretty sure he didn't play.

I neither, would know Coach Johnson if he walked in the door right now. And I certainly have no axe to grind. But, based on what I witnessed from the performance of the Matoaca Warriors during his time at the helm, I was shocked that Hermitage decided that he would be the best choice for their program.

To his defense, it is difficult at best, to replace a legend. There is an old saying. "You never want to be the man to replace the MAN!"

With this said, I don't focus my criticism on Coach Johnson, but instead I point to the Administrators that made the decision to place him into a job that he is probably not suited for.

Yes, I know, it's only one game. But, the fact is that every piece of evidence we are seeing is pointing to an experiment that is destined to fail.

I hope I'm wrong for the kids sake.

Reactions: Senex and CRF4Dan
I said my piece in the Herm/HSHS thread
but will not be a prisoner of the moment
I am reserving judgement until I see more.

I was at the game and yes it does look bad to say the least. Like you however I am taking a wait and see approach. I want to see what they look like over the next couple of weeks... How do they fare against Henrico, Thomas Dale and of course Varina.

If we see improvement then obviously it's just a bump in the road and maybe Coach Johnson and the Panthers need a full season together. If we don't see improvement, then things will get mighty restless.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Anyone taking a stance based on one game vs. HS, I don’t agree. Others making more informed statements about his time at previous coaching stops, at least you have some basis for your comments.

Who makes the final call on hiring a football coach? The Principal? Was the Principal who hired Kane good for the school as a whole? I’ve heard the current Hermitage Principal is miles & miles better at the job than his predecessor. Not sure if that’s who hired Kane, but you can see what I’m getting at...

I neither, would know Coach Johnson if he walked in the door right now. And I certainly have no axe to grind. But, based on what I witnessed from the performance of the Matoaca Warriors during his time at the helm, I was shocked that Hermitage decided that he would be the best choice for their program.

To his defense, it is difficult at best, to replace a legend. There is an old saying. "You never want to be the man to replace the MAN!"

With this said, I don't focus my criticism on Coach Johnson, but instead I point to the Administrators that made the decision to place him into a job that he is probably not suited for.

Yes, I know, it's only one game. But, the fact is that every piece of evidence we are seeing is pointing to an experiment that is destined to fail.

I hope I'm wrong for the kids sake.

Here's something to think about referencing what you said... How many great or legendary coaches have been succeeded by a successful coach?

Irby replaced Marshall Parker at Hopewell and has done well.
Tucker replaced Vic Williams at Thomas Dale and has done well.

Patrick Henry still has not found anyone that comes close to Ray Long.
Petersburg has never found anyone that came close to Norman Jenkins.

Here's something to think about too...

What happens in your neck of the woods when Mills is no longer at Dinwiddie?
Or when Loren Johnson is no longer at Highland Springs?

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
You know that we have wondered/worried about Coach Mills leaving. We try the best we can to provide him with as much support as is possible. He may leave one day, but it won't be because the community doesn't give him 100% of their support.

You know that the Springer faithful feel the same way about Coach Johnson.

Before your time, I know, but Coach Jenkins followed a pretty darn good and successful coach at Petersburg, Coach Bobby Tyler. (Coach Jenkins was his assistant). Proud to say I knew them both.

I always forget his name, but the Coach that left Huguenot a few years ago, left a void they are still trying to fill. I understand he was full of "tough love" for his kids, but he scared the hell out of me. I would hated to have missed an assignment if I had played for him. He is still around in the Richmond area, isn't he?

When Ray Long retired, his successor made a poor decision and forced out a lot of the coaching staff that had been a long term part of the success PH had enjoyed. It reminds me of a restaurant in Petersburg that had been extremely successful for several decades. The owner and his wife had reached the age that it was time to retire. The guy that bought the place changed the menu, changed the decor, and worst of all, cleared out a seating area and started bringing in bands at night. He was belly up in no time.

Reactions: 1Gensfan
You know that we have wondered/worried about Coach Mills leaving. We try the best we can to provide him with as much support as is possible. He may leave one day, but it won't be because the community doesn't give him 100% of their support.

Before your time, I know, but Coach Jenkins followed a pretty darn good and successful coach at Petersburg, Coach Bobby Tyler. (Coach Jenkins was his assistant). Proud to say I knew them both.

I always forget his name, but the Coach that left Huguenot a few years ago, left a void they are still trying to fill. I understand he was full of "tough love" for his kids, but he scared the hell out of me. I would hated to have missed an assignment if I had played for him. He is still around in the Richmond area, isn't he?

When Ray Long retired, his successor made a poor decision and forced out a lot of the coaching staff that had been a long term part of the success PH had enjoyed. It reminds me of a restaurant in Petersburg that had been extremely successful for several decades. The owner and his wife had reached the age that it was time to retire. The guy that bought the place changed the menu, changed the decor, and worst of all, cleared out a seating area and started bringing in bands at night. He was belly up in no time.

That coach you are referring to at Huguenot was Coach Richard McFee. Led the Falcons from 1988 to 2007 and only left then because of health problems. He was unable to finish out the 2007 season.

He's still involved in football however, I've seen him around here and there. I think a few years ago when Coach Roscoe Johnson was at Atlee he was involved with the program there.

Richard McFee.
God forbid Loren Johnson leave! I don't think that will happen any time soon. HS has a VERY tight knit staff, they are all on the same page. I do believe when it is his time though, his successor could possibly be from within and continue the legacy! HS has been a football power since the 70's and I can't see that changing yet!

Richard McFee.
God forbid Loren Johnson leave! I don't think that will happen any time soon. HS has a VERY tight knit staff, they are all on the same page. I do believe when it is his time though, his successor could possibly be from within and continue the legacy! HS has been a football power since the 70's and I can't see that changing yet!

Yeah but even you must admit there was a time in the late 90's/early 2000's when Highland Springs was a non-factor. Coach Burton made them relevant in the mid-2000's again but there were some lean years mixed in.

Reactions: mbonape1
Yeah but even you must admit there was a time in the late 90's/early 2000's when Highland Springs was a non-factor. Coach Burton made them relevant in the mid-2000's again but there were some lean years mixed in.
True! The funny thing is: Everybody loved Scott Burton, he was a good coach. Couldn't win the "big games" though! When Johnson came, first year, the team was very talented! Lots of the Springer faithful weren't real happy with his style. His staff changed yearly, some leaving for other Head Coaching jobs. When this current staff was assembled and EVERYBODY started to buy into his system, it all changed! Now, this staff is as tight as any I've ever seen. Not only football will do for these kids. They are all actively involved with their studies, their moral compasses, manners and grooming them to be above average MEN in this crazy world we live in today! Not to mention the Community involvement that is taking place too! I have heard Coach Johnson say, "I am from Miami Florida, but Highland Springs is my home. I love it here!"
Myself and our community have grown to love and respect this man and his staff! The are 1st Class citizens and we all want them all right here at home!

Anyone taking a stance based on one game vs. HS, I don’t agree. Others making more informed statements about his time at previous coaching stops, at least you have some basis for your comments.

Who makes the final call on hiring a football coach? The Principal? Was the Principal who hired Kane good for the school as a whole? I’ve heard the current Hermitage Principal is miles & miles better at the job than his predecessor. Not sure if that’s who hired Kane, but you can see what I’m getting at...
That's why I wanted to wait until after Henrico, but my fingers got itchy

If you lose by 67 to a super team that is one thing... but if you look unorganized and mentally overwhelmed that is something different. We will chalk it up as a perfect storm of an amazing HSHS team, new coach, a few odd decisions and maybe some first time Jitters. But if it doesn't get better fast Oooo boy! It should not be that hard to find wins in Colonial district play. They need better showings against their upcoming capital district foes and to be at least 75% in the Colonial play. At this point I don't even want to think about what Manchester might do with that offense they have against Herm. Yikes! I am rooting for them to turn it around. Good news is the only way you can go at this point is up.

If you lose by 67 to a super team that is one thing... but if you look unorganized and mentally overwhelmed that is something different. We will chalk it up as a perfect storm of an amazing HSHS team, new coach, a few odd decisions and maybe some first time Jitters. But if it doesn't get better fast Oooo boy! It should not be that hard to find wins in Colonial district play. They need better showings against their upcoming capital district foes and to be at least 75% in the Colonial play. At this point I don't even want to think about what Manchester might do with that offense they have against Herm. Yikes! I am rooting for them to turn it around. Good news is the only way you can go at this point is up.
HAHA, agree with all thoughts!

Reactions: springer76
Things are already very, very ugly guys. Parents, fans, most of the Hermitage base is calling for his head. Many have been calling for it since March. Most of the transfers, left because of this, and no other reason. Hermitage was bombarded by calls on Monday and a lot of folks are talking about taking it to the school board. Players are telling their parents the coaches don't give a F***, the coaches are late to practices, some don't show up, there's zero communication, and the HC has a downright nasty attitude toward the players. He took our team to the visitors sideline Friday night, in OUR stadium. I said in another post, this isn't the dark before the dawn, its the twilight before the dark. Things will get worse, and I would not be shocked if some players just leave the team. The way it is now, this team won't win a game this year. Being close to the program, I'll continue to provide information when I can and/or it is merited. Congrats to Highland Springs on a dominating win!

Sounds bad. Don’t understand why people care about the sideline change, though. Makes way more sense to put the away team on the stands side to be distracted by bands/student section/fans. I get that it wasn’t like that before, but I think complaining about that little thing shows how emotional fans are being rather than focusing on valid (critical) points.

Reactions: falcettik
Honestly, any parent that goes to a Henrico County School Board member to complain about the Hermitage football coach is an idiot. Turpin can hire whoever he wants. If that parent wants to complain about Turpin, at least that is logical, although I imagine that would get laughed out of the room because there’s MORE to that job than hiring a FB coach.

Sounds bad. Don’t understand why people care about the sideline change, though. Makes way more sense to put the away team on the stands side to be distracted by bands/student section/fans. I get that it wasn’t like that before, but I think complaining about that little thing shows how emotional fans are being rather than focusing on valid (critical) points.
We are definitely emotional as any fan would be with this type of leadership occurring at their school.

Richard McFee.
The thing about the Springers is they have had a winning tradition for years. I think Al Rinaldi set that standard back in the day.

I was at the game and yes it does look bad to say the least. Like you however I am taking a wait and see approach. I want to see what they look like over the next couple of weeks... How do they fare against Henrico, Thomas Dale and of course Varina.

If we see improvement then obviously it's just a bump in the road and maybe Coach Johnson and the Panthers need a full season together. If we don't see improvement, then things will get mighty restless.
I agree. But you have to admit, that 67-0 result was a pretty big bump in the road. If not careful, that thing could split your axle right in two.

Coaching does make a definite difference though. I currently live in Charlotte, NC. Coach Tommy Knotts took Independence high school in Charlotte to 106 straight wins and 6 straight 4A state titles during his time there. He left to coach Dutch Fork high schook in Irmo SC, just outside of Columbia. DF had no tradition and finished 4-7 the year before Knotts arrived. They're now looking for their fourth straight 4A title in SC. I'm also not one to bash coaches but give them time, but when I saw the hire Hermitage made and saw his record at Matoaca, I said to myself "uh oh". Time will tell though. But one has to admit, 67-0 is a pretty big drop, suddenly. As a 1970 graduate of Hermitage, I was expecting a drop but not a drop that big. Like I've heard it said, don't be the one who follows the legend. Be the one who follows the one who followed the legend.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Things are already very, very ugly guys. Parents, fans, most of the Hermitage base is calling for his head. Many have been calling for it since March. Most of the transfers, left because of this, and no other reason. Hermitage was bombarded by calls on Monday and a lot of folks are talking about taking it to the school board. Players are telling their parents the coaches don't give a F***, the coaches are late to practices, some don't show up, there's zero communication, and the HC has a downright nasty attitude toward the players. He took our team to the visitors sideline Friday night, in OUR stadium. I said in another post, this isn't the dark before the dawn, its the twilight before the dark. Things will get worse, and I would not be shocked if some players just leave the team. The way it is now, this team won't win a game this year. Being close to the program, I'll continue to provide information when I can and/or it is merited. Congrats to Highland Springs on a dominating win!

This is certainly a wow factor and speaks to the concern of those associated with the Hermitage program... Obviously Friday night was not a good showing but I do think you have to gauge more than one game... You almost have to wait and see if there is progress from now till say week five... or even the season as a whole.

Hermitage however is in a tough spot... You want to be patient and see what happens but you also cannot let a program fall apart either. I remember attending Hermitage games in the late 90's before Kane arrived... Fan turnout was not great to say the least. Now you have a program that draws fans not just Hermitage fans but fans of football around the region. There were fans at the Hermitge-Highland Springs game that were not a fan of either but came because of the reputation of both teams. If you let the program fall apart you risk the loss of ticket sales and although football clearly is in a battle right now as far as participation, it is without a doubt the big moneymaker as far as athletics at schools and you cannot afford to lose that. I hate that money drives everything in this world but facts are facts, even at the high school level.

We have rarely seen a top notch program just fall completely on their face like Hermitage did Friday night. This is certainly a rarity.

This is certainly a wow factor and speaks to the concern of those associated with the Hermitage program... Obviously Friday night was not a good showing but I do think you have to gauge more than one game... You almost have to wait and see if there is progress from now till say week five... or even the season as a whole.

Hermitage however is in a tough spot... You want to be patient and see what happens but you also cannot let a program fall apart either. I remember attending Hermitage games in the late 90's before Kane arrived... Fan turnout was not great to say the least. Now you have a program that draws fans not just Hermitage fans but fans of football around the region. There were fans at the Hermitge-Highland Springs game that were not a fan of either but came because of the reputation of both teams. If you let the program fall apart you risk the loss of ticket sales and although football clearly is in a battle right now as far as participation, it is without a doubt the big moneymaker as far as athletics at schools and you cannot afford to lose that. I hate that money drives everything in this world but facts are facts, even at the high school level.

We have rarely seen a top notch program just fall completely on their face like Hermitage did Friday night. This is certainly a rarity.
Very well put!

The Hermitage posters are closest to the situation... you guys saw my earlier post and that is me from the outside trying to be level headed... these insiders are telling us that there has been a fire before the season started all the way back from March. Part of the job - taking any new job, whether it be a new coaching role or a sales job with an “existing territory” or “team / personnel” is to not drive the bus in the ditch. That comes before everything else. Our friends “in the know” at Hermitage are saying the bus already hit the ditch and is on the verge of going over the guard rail. I will wait and see as an outsider, but I think they are closer to the situation than we are.

@ Dan and Mbonape1, very well put, you both said a mouthful. As far as waiting, I guess we will see if the team can attempt to be competitive against Henrico and or Varina, though right now I doubt it. Thomas Dale will be somewhere close to as ugly as HSHS as will Manchester at the end of the season. Other than what I report here, I have remained silent. I certainly have not called Hermitage and am not on board with attempted school board involvement. I'm simply reporting what I know are the facts.

The Hermitage posters are closest to the situation... you guys saw my earlier post and that is me from the outside trying to be level headed... these insiders are telling us that there has been a fire before the season started all the way back from March. Part of the job - taking any new job, whether it be a new coaching role or a sales job with an “existing territory” or “team / personnel” is to not drive the bus in the ditch. That comes before everything else. Our friends “in the know” at Hermitage are saying the bus already hit the ditch and is on the verge of going over the guard rail. I will wait and see as an outsider, but I think they are closer to the situation than we are.

Love the analogy!

This is what I wrote verbatim on the 'Hermitage Football' FB page in response to the outrage.

"I’ve read each and every comment on this thread; and, as a former player under Kane in 2001 (7-2 record - first winning record in YEARS, Kane’s first season) and 2002 (10-1 record - first district title in YEARS, first round loss to Dale, I feel qualified to weigh in.

Supporters who are shocked and upset by this loss are justified. We do not lose 67-0 to ANYONE under ANY circumstances. Hermitage had an opportunity to get this right by hiring Justin (Fitzgerald). Justin was right there with us in 2001 when we reluctantly welcomed Coach Kane to the family, not knowing anything about him. It made THE MOST SENSE to hire Justin as winning is in his blood and he was there when the Hermitage winning tradition began. It would have been a seamless transition.

So I’m with everyone on this one. Putting us on the visitor’s side of the field was a mistake. Not hiring Justin was a mistake, not hiring someone, ANYONE from within the program was a mistake. And I’m afraid these mistakes will cause long-term harm to our program’s recent winning traditions. This makes me sad. I hope that I’m wrong."

2a90ec41ace5.gif

Wow this is the hardest fall from Grace I have ever seen on the high school football level. I feel for the Hermitage Folks!

I was thinking the same thing... It is the worst imaginable start for any team... It's one thing to give up 121 points, it's another to not score points... it's a nightmare when you combine the two.

I was thinking the same thing... It is the worst imaginable start for any team... It's one thing to give up 121 points, it's another to not score points... it's a nightmare when you combine the two.
and the beat goes on
next week @ Thomas Dale then @ Varina

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT