ADVERTISEMENT

State Semifinals: #2 Lake Taylor vs #4 Eastern View

Who wins?

• Lake Taylor

Votes: 37 56.1%
  • Eastern View

Votes: 29 43.9%

• Total voters
This is a tough one to attempt to discuss. Two opposite ends of the state and no history between them what so ever. I assume both teams know nothing about each other on both sides of the ball.

If EV doesn’t pass well it will be difficult for them to win. The LT 9 man box is tough and fast. The LT veer is tough- one assignment missed and lights out. The Qb is very elusive and fast with a nice pass and Newton the Rb is tough and an excellent receiver on the bubble screen. With all their weapons- their offensive was more diverse and well executed than any other I saw this year and it is tough to defend for all 3/4 downs most of the time. Good luck to EV.

Reactions: loyal2thesoil
Lake Taylor is very familiar with the offensive scheme of Eastern View and can spend a lot of time just shoring things up.

EV cannot play their normal defense against the LT veer. EV's offense has the size and talent necessary to challenge/beat LT, but they have to challenge the Titans defensive backs. Have to throw to more than 1 wr though.

LT has the slight edge due to schemes, but I will not count EV out.

Tall order for the Cyclones. 3-hour trip into Norfolk to play a very dangerous/foreign opponent. LT definitely has the edge. Injuries to EV don’t help. Offense needs to keep pace and hope for a couple stops in 2nd half.

LT had one injury to their lineman who was carted off the field. Otherwise they are in fine shape.

Agreed, EV will have to open the playbook up some and pass more than they have in recent games. I think Hatfield has been keeping it simple in recent weeks on purpose and has the weapons to do just that. Lowery will have to adapt to the constant pressure that LT likes to bring with that many in the box and not get frustrated. They have to keep feeding Holmes in a game like this as well because I think EV oline will be up for the challenge. I think the biggest test will be the secondary of EV. They gave up some big plays last game and this time of the year you just can't allow that.

Agreed, EV will have to open the playbook up some and pass more than they have in recent games. I think Hatfield has been keeping it simple in recent weeks on purpose and has the weapons to do just that. Lowery will have to adapt to the constant pressure that LT likes to bring with that many in the box and not get frustrated. They have to keep feeding Holmes in a game like this as well because I think EV oline will be up for the challenge. I think the biggest test will be the secondary of EV. They gave up some big plays last game and this time of the year you just can't allow that.
That’s still the question I have about the LT QB? Is he as illusive as Pope? If so, EV has a problem. Pope made few completions in a “normal” progression (under 5 seconds). All the big plays were those where the DB’s had to cover guys forever due to Pope scrambling. Hard to ask any DB to cover a guy for 10+ seconds.

Reactions: mbonape1
That’s still the question I have about the LT QB? Is he as illusive as Pope? If so, EV has a problem. Pope made few completions in a “normal” progression (under 5 seconds). All the big plays were those where the DB’s had to cover guys forever due to Pope scrambling. Hard to ask any DB to cover a guy for 10+ seconds.
Lafayette’s LB’s all year pursued the Qb well and were very sure tackelers but the LT Qb was very elusive and can flat out run and could pass quickly to avoid the sack. The killer plays were the Qb looking right to pass or run and then quickly pivot to pass for a screen to the left to their big RB Newton who was very difficult to bring down in the open field. Twice on 3 and 10 huge big yardage plays. The diversity of their offense a day later still amazes me on the high school level,

Sad news for EV. O-lineman who was hurt in the Dinwiddie game has broken ankle/torn ligaments. Thoughts out for a speedy recovery. Very classy of all the Generals that individually shook his hand after the game.

Sad news for EV. O-lineman who was hurt in the Dinwiddie game has broken ankle/torn ligaments. Thoughts out for a speedy recovery. Very classy of all the Generals that individually shook his hand after the game.
Anything on the D linemen?

Sending prayers for a speedy recovery. Huge Congratulations to EV!!

Reactions: OCBoy
Lowry is fairly elusive himself and a proven dual threat. It's a toss up in my opinion strictly based on no familiarity. Outside of turnovers I think it will come down to which coach's in-game adjustments work out. Hoping the Cyclones can pull out the win.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
Lowry is fairly elusive himself and a proven dual threat. It's a toss up in my opinion strictly based on no familiarity. Outside of turnovers I think it will come down to which coach's in-game adjustments work out. Hoping the Cyclones can pull out the win.
I think LBDevils99 hit it pretty much on the head: LT defeated Maury, now in class 5 semi final, defeated Freedom (PW), now in semi final of class 6, defeated Phoebus , now in semi final of class 3. That is a resume second to none. Add to that a 3TD win over previously undefeated Lafayette on their home field.
Addendum: let me add LT offense plays a hurry up offense with that veer and does some last minute shifting. On a number of plays the Lafayette defense was barely set for play, and still shifting their own players around.

Last edited:
I think LBDevils99 hit it pretty much on the head: LT defeated Maury, now in class 5 semi final, defeated Freedom (PW), now in semi final of class 6, defeated Phoebus , now in semi final of class 3. That is a resume second to none. Add to that a 3TD win over previously undefeated Lafayette on their home field.

Sounds like EV doesn't stand much of a chance. That's an impressive resume of wins. I'm still gonna hope they win though the odds are stacked against them.

Eastern View beat two sound teams in Louisa and Dinwiddie. Yes, Lowry can cause trouble for LT, but he must utilize all of his receivers and not just Leake. The LT secondary plays man v. man press coverage, so it is always possible to hit receivers. The key is picking up the blitz and finding the open man. You have to keep the LT defense honest with quick hitting dives. If Holmes can get to the second level he could spring one. The LT coaching staff is solid and very familiar with offenses like EV's, so veey few adjustments will be made. They do what they do and stick to it. .

Hatfield, will be a huge key. Can he make the adjustments to LT's high pressure D and veer offense. You can watch it all day long on video, but seeing it live and at full speed is totally different. Coach Mills spent a ton of time preparing for our three games with LT and each was a war. Very few coaches have success against LT the first time around.

Good luck to both teams.

Sounds like EV doesn't stand much of a chance. That's an impressive resume of wins. I'm still gonna hope they win though the odds are stacked against them.
They wouldn't be here if they weren't a solid team. Nice try

Addendum: let me add LT offense plays a hurry up offense with that veer and does some last minute shifting. On a number of plays the Lafayette defense was barely set for play, and still shifting their own players around.
Now you know why I have had LT as my favorite since like week 3

I plan to be there in the stands to watch the Cyclones shock the world. #feelthewind
Of the 4 teams remaining, I don’t see any game with a huge underdog. I think anyone remaining can win. Having said that, I feel like this is Blacksburg’s year. A good QB and speed for days. Can’t wait to see how it turns out.

Reactions: one man
So Norcom and Phoebus were the 2 teams this year that limited LT's offense, and both of those teams basically kept each other from scoring this past weekend. Whatever defense those 2 teams have obviously works pretty well. I've seen none of these teams play. What do they do that limits LT that the other guys don't do?

So Norcom and Phoebus were the 2 teams this year that limited LT's offense, and both of those teams basically kept each other from scoring this past weekend. Whatever defense those 2 teams have obviously works pretty well. I've seen none of these teams play. What do they do that limits LT that the other guys don't do?
Norcom plays sound defense, they don't do their own thing too much on defense. Jones/Powell/White/Dixon are very good players. Powell is one of the best players I've seen on defense in awhile for Norcom. Running the veer against him must have been difficult because I can see him having the ability to play the dive and set the edge at the same time (whoa). Taurus Jones is a great LB for Norcom. He is super tough and once again his ability to play downhill or sideline to sideline must have helped against the veer. They play with a discipline in that they wont get fooled by counters and misdirection and are rarely out of position which is most important in stopping the option plus they are a super athletic defense on all three levels.
Phoebus and LT played a great game this year and it looked as if Phoebus was going to come away with the victory but Foster led the Titans on a game winning drive with 17 seconds left. Phoebus is very athletic and schematically sound. They are not very big but they love to hit and can run. Phoebus can be a little bit undisciplined at times racking up penalty yards at bad times such as the Norcom game when they picked up the Norcom running back and slammed him on the ground on 2 and 26 from inside of Norcom's own 10yd line to get them out of the hole and let them off the hook. They also had a ton of penalties against Lake Taylor which helped Lake Taylor walk away with the victory.
Norcom and Phoebus both have A) great athletes on the edge of their defense. B) aggressive kids that can fly and can really, really hit; Norcom has better LB play than Phoebus and C) Great coaching, these kids are very well prepared to see what they are going to see.

Spread the ball out, keep LT guessing on defense, and take care of the ball and EV can pull this one out. Believe EV's defense can make the few stops they need to win. Do not know much of anything on LT but Coach Hat will have a game plan that will add some wrinkles we have not seen yet and will make LT adjust. At this point in the season every team is very good and just gotta show up and play and anything can happen.

Spread the ball out, keep LT guessing on defense, and take care of the ball and EV can pull this one out. Believe EV's defense can make the few stops they need to win. Do not know much of anything on LT but Coach Hat will have a game plan that will add some wrinkles we have not seen yet and will make LT adjust. At this point in the season every team is very good and just gotta show up and play and anything can happen.
Right....I think a great offense will serve the defense well. They just need to score. EV put up more on Dinwiddie than anybody else had all year and could've had more. Is LT's defense head-and-shoulders above Dinwiddie's?

I am not trying to be rude when I say this, but you guys need to stop guessing. Dinwiddie has played LT three times since 2013 and I know their schemes very well. Sawyer is a very good coach, but I can tell you he will not adapt his offense or defense to what Eastern View does. Defensively he is going to pressure EV from jump street and continue doing it win or lose. Offensively, he will attempt to exploit any weaknesses he believes EV has, but will still run his offense (Veer). I am not saying LT is unbeatable. EV has the talent to get the job done, but the Cyclones are the ones who will have to adjust. Lafayette, thought their base defense would work too, but it didn't happen. You must be able to stop the dive, defend the qb on the edge and have db's that can tackle in space. We have played EV two years in a row and I believe the Cyclones d lineman and lb's can get the job done. My only concern is will the EV db's be able to defend the veer and play pass coverage effectively. LT's defense has weaknesses, but Hatfield must find them. Doing something out of the ordinary (adding a wrinkle) is not the way. The Cyclones just need to be themselves and make LT respect their inside running game and passing attack. If EV can do that they can reduce the pressure and win.

Last edited:
I am not trying to be rude when I say this, but you guys need to keep guessing. Dinwiddie has played LT three times since 2013 and I know their schemes very well. Sawyer is a very good coach, but I can tell you he will not adapt his offense or defense to what Eastern View does. Defensively he is going to pressure EV from jump street and continue doing it win or lose. Offensively, he will attempt to exploit any weaknesses he believes EV has, but will still run his offense (Veer). I am not saying LT is unbeatable. EV has the talent to get the job done, but the Cyclones are the ones who will have to adjust. Lafayette, thought their base defense would work too, but it didn't happen. You must be able to stop the dive, defend the qb on the edge and have db's that can tackle in space. We have played EV two years in a row and I believe the Cyclones d lineman and lb's can get the job done. My only concern is will the EV db's be able to defend the veer and play pass coverage effectively. LT's defense has weaknesses, but Hatfield must find them. Doing something out of the ordinary (adding a wrinkle) is not the way. The Cyclones just need to be themselves and make LT respect their inside running game and passing attack. If EV can do that they can reduce the pressure and win.
Your pretty much on from my viewpoint. LT plays their game, not yours . I Thought Lafayette would run blitz to shut down the Qb veer option early, force an early decision and assign the best LB on the Qb due to his running yards - over 800. Lafayette did not, stayed in their normal defense and let the offense come to them, not the other way around. Fatal mistake.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
I am not trying to be rude when I say this, but you guys need to stop guessing. Dinwiddie has played LT three times since 2013 and I know their schemes very well. Sawyer is a very good coach, but I can tell you he will not adapt his offense or defense to what Eastern View does. Defensively he is going to pressure EV from jump street and continue doing it win or lose. Offensively, he will attempt to exploit any weaknesses he believes EV has, but will still run his offense (Veer). I am not saying LT is unbeatable. EV has the talent to get the job done, but the Cyclones are the ones who will have to adjust. Lafayette, thought their base defense would work too, but it didn't happen. You must be able to stop the dive, defend the qb on the edge and have db's that can tackle in space. We have played EV two years in a row and I believe the Cyclones d lineman and lb's can get the job done. My only concern is will the EV db's be able to defend the veer and play pass coverage effectively. LT's defense has weaknesses, but Hatfield must find them. Doing something out of the ordinary (adding a wrinkle) is not the way. The Cyclones just need to be themselves and make LT respect their inside running game and passing attack. If EV can do that they can reduce the pressure and win.
I wasn't saying LT will need to adjust, just that EV will have some few wrinkles either formations or plays no one have seen yet to maybe at least make the defense a step slower or confused. No doubt Ev's secondary will have to step up big and will be targeted often. From what you are saying LT likes to bring lots of pressure which will open up the field for the quick passes if given time. Not saying you are wrong but at any level of football if things are not going as planned coaches have to adapt/make changes at some point. That is what makes great coaches to another level. I know EV's defense takes a few drives to adjust and make a few changes before they begin really digging in. Hard to say LT won't make changes if this becomes a shootout. At this point in the season Teams have to make plays regardless what the other team does.

They are familiar with each other

I have a bit of a different perspective. It is said that LT does not change and plays their game no matter. That may work for the most part but being stubborn is not always the formula for success.

Different sport but UVA basketball in the first round of the NCAA tourney last year refused to adapt and “played” their game. Cost them big time. IMHO, teams that can’t, or won’t, adapt put themselves in a hole.

I’ve noticed that UVA is a bit more uptempo on offense than in the past. Not running and gunning but will speed up at times. Bennett learned from that loss.

I struggle to believe that if EV comes out and has some success that LT would not try to make adjustments. As an EV fan, I hope that scenario plays out.

But at the end of the day, Mike Tyson said it best,”everybody has a plan until they get hit.” Or something like that.

Gotta add that Saban replaced a star QB with a freshman and won a Natty last year. I’m sure the Alabama faithful are glad he wasn’t hardheaded.

Last edited:
I have a bit of a different perspective. It is said that LT does not change and plays their game no matter. That may work for the most part but being stubborn is not always the formula for success.

Different sport but UVA basketball in the first round of the NCAA tourney last year refused to adapt and “played” their game. Cost them big time. IMHO, teams that can’t, or won’t, adapt put themselves in a hole.

I’ve noticed that UVA is a bit more uptempo on offense than in the past. Not running and gunning but will speed up at times. Bennett learned from that loss.

I struggle to believe that if EV comes out and has some success that LT would not try to make adjustments. As an EV fan, I hope that scenario plays out.

But at the end of the day, Mike Tyson said it best,”everybody has a plan until they get hit.” Or something like that.

Gotta add that Saban replaced a star QB with a freshman and won a Natty last year. I’m sure the Alabama faithful are glad he wasn’t hardheaded.
For sure. I believe in the saying if it ain't broke don't fix it, but if it ain't working, you better do something when you're in the win-or-go-home phase.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
@Marshall-Dillon, 86CulpGrad, and Cpep_greatest, I was not saying LT will not make in game changes, but this defense has worked for years against the best teams and schemes Virginia has to offer. I am not saying LT will stop Eastern View or even beat them. Sawyer is going to play the same way he has for years.

Let me give you an example of the teams Sawyer has lost to or beat in the playoffs and held the team to its lowest total all year: 2012 Stone Bridge 21-14 win, 2013 Dinwiddie 28-0 loss 2014 Salem 41-16 win, 2015 Salem 17-14 loss, 2016 Dinwiddie 29-15 loss, 2017 Smithfield 15-7 loss.

With the exception of Smithfield in 2017 who were a very senior laden team facing a brutally young LT team the Titans losses have come to state finalist or state champs. Please note the diversity of the different offenses these teams run. Wing T, Power I, Spread, and Pistol Read Option. Sawyer pressured and blitz every team the same way.

Again, EV has the weapons to win this game, but they are going to see something they have yet to face in a game situation.

1. In your grill coverage with immediate and ongoing contact. In high school its legal until the ball is in the air.

2. Zero gap blitzes on every play.

3. 7 or 8 guys in the box.

The EV offense must throw quick slants on 1st and 2nd down. Set the edge and get Lowry outside quickly. Chip block mlb and get Holmes to the second level on dives. If the EV line can give Lowry time he can have success on deep 1 v 1 routes.

The Cyclones can do this they just need to not get frustrated early and keep going at the Titans. Good luck to both teams. Going to be a good matchup.

Last edited:
”...Sawyer is a very good coach, but I can tell you he will not adapt his offense or defense to what Eastern View does... the Cyclones are the ones who will have to adjust”.
I guess this statement confused me...sure reads like LT will not make changes regardless and EV will have to! No worries my man! Somebody will win and somebody will lose. This all just speculation anyway.

I guess it just words. You can scorch LT on a deep post. The next series you see the same defense. They believe you cannot beat them consistently and for the most part Sawyer is right.

Its high school. Lets take a deep ball. Line must block and give the qb time, qb must throw the ball on time and on the mark, receiver must beat defender and make the catch. Defense has the edge on every pass play and he knows it thus he stuffs the run and forces you to beat him with the pass.

Lowry is very good and a proven winner. Has he faced any high pressure this season? The three times Dinwiddie put pressure on him he made risky throws. Kudos to him he completed 2-3 and one was for a td. Like the poise I saw.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbonape1
I guess it just words. You can scorch LT on a deep post. The next series you see the same defense. They believe you cannot beat them consistently and for the most part Sawyer is right.

Its high school. Lets take a deep ball. Line must block and give the qb time, qb must throw the ball on time and on the mark, receiver must beat defender and make the catch. Defense has the edge on every pass play and he knows it thus he stuffs the run and forces you to beat him with the pass.

Lowry and very good and a proven winner. Has he faced any high pressure this season? The three times Dinwiddie put pressure on him he made risky throws. Kudos to him he completed 2-3 and one was for a td. Like the poise I saw.
I would expect him to get pressure at this level. Heck, there's only 4 teams left. All great teams. I'm sure there's a plan of action. I would think you just have to have that clock going in your head. After 3-4 seconds you better be getting rid of it or running. I'll make this prediction....if the Cyclones don't turn the ball over, I think they have a great chance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT