ADVERTISEMENT

State tournament

Feb 19, 2018
Why is Region C hosting the semifinal game again? They hosted last year and according to the bracket, they are again this year. Is the other side the same way too? I assumed it was an every other year thing but is it every two years or just an error by the VHSL?

Why is Region C hosting the semifinal game again? They hosted last year and according to the bracket, they are again this year. Is the other side the same way too? I assumed it was an every other year thing but is it every two years or just an error by the VHSL?

I was wondering the same thing... Thankfully I don't have to worry about it this year since Ridgeview girls are out, but I know the folks in far SWVA who do have a team in the race aren't happy about this.

So if it’s an error I wonder if the VHSL will correct it or just say oops and screw over the Region D winners. Of course they have to win first for it to even become an issue but dang. Did they mess up Region A and B too or is that right?

No, their regions are correct, so if East Rockingham and JM win, then East Rock would "host" the semi which is what it should be based on it being Region B's turn.

This deserves to be addressed. Fairness should be the goal, and if one side rotates, why isn't the other side?

That’s outrageous that they would have that big of a screw up in my opinion. If they don’t fix it then there has to be some kind of release as to explain why and how they plan to make it right. To me, this is a big deal.

Reactions: BigWinners
Well hopefully all the Region D teams win in Class 1 and 2 and it will be a moot point anyway.

I think both Gate City and Union girls will win. Gate City boys will definitely win assuming they play Glenvar. I don't like Wise Central's chances assuming they play Radford (even though T. J. has guaranteed that it will be Wise Central and Gate City V in the semifinals).

As for Class 1, I think PH girls win considering they are playing literally across the road from their school at Emory and Henry. I don't like Honaker's chances at G-Dub. And G-Dub may even be the favorite to win it all. Class 1 boys I think both Eastside and Grundy loses.

i have seen radford play and WC def has a chance, radford shoots well but their D is suspect, going to radford will be the biggest drawback for WC

i have seen radford play and WC def has a chance, radford shoots well but their D is suspect, going to radford will be the biggest drawback for WC
I would disagree on the defense part. Radford held Glenvar to 33 points and held Martinsville to 10-15 below their season average. Yes, they have lapses within the game but overall they are very solid.

This not a VHSL mistake, the rotation of the brackets is decided at the Class level at the Regional meetings. Class 3 & 4 voted to rotate matchups and Class 1 & 2 left It that A&B and C&D meet in the quarters and semi’s. I think that might change next year

This not a VHSL mistake, the rotation of the brackets is decided at the Class level at the Regional meetings. Class 3 & 4 voted to rotate matchups and Class 1 & 2 left It that A&B and C&D meet in the quarters and semi’s. I think that might change next year

Everyone expected C and D to still play but that the sites would rotate to D after being at C sites last year but apparently it's C sites again this year which doesn't seem fair.

I’m not meaning about who meets rather who gets to host for the semifinal. Last year, the Region C champion hosted the neutral site for the semifinal game and this year is supposed to be Region D. Unfortunately, the rotation only occurred for Regions A&B but Region C gets to host again if it’s Radford and Gate City that advance. How is that fair and why has nothing been done yet to fix it is what I was curious about. If Gate City doesn’t win Friday then it means nothing but if they do and so does Radford, then what Gate City earned the right to do will be taken away by the VHSL.

Really doesn’t matter no one is beating JM in 2a IMO

it absolutely matters and that's a dumb take. Regardless of anyone's chances of winning a state title, why should 2C get to host two years in a row while everyone else rotates? There has still been no reasoning released behind this and the schools deserve an answer.

I was just informed that it could be a two year deal in C&D, with 2C hosting two years then 2D the next two. That would explain why 2C hosts again.

If that’s the case then ok. I don’t understand why they wouldn’t just rotate it every year but as long as D gets it the next two.

If that’s the case then ok. I don’t understand why they wouldn’t just rotate it every year but as long as D gets it the next two.
Completely agree. Radford got the short end in our region this year. Seems like nothing makes sense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT