ADVERTISEMENT

States Question

I’d like for the formats to change every year. I got a feeling we’ll be seeing a yearly Salem vs. whoever comes out of the East, who has a much much harder path to the state championship. The brutal truth.

Reactions: OCBoy
On the one hand it would be nice to see it switch up, but I guess the way it's currently setup is less travel? If not then they should definitely rotate.

The North in 4A hasn't been as strong since the 2008-2012 era of Broad Run and Briar Woods. Sherando 2013 was very strong, but Dinwiddie was just on a different level .

I think it should switch up personally, but no idea what they'll end up doing. Seems unfair for it to be the same regions playing each other every year. Most of the state contenders from the northern part of the state in 4A have since moved to 5A (Briar Woods, Broad Run, Tuscarora, and so on).

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
From a purely selfish standpoint, I would like to see it rotate. As a fan, I enjoy going to new places.

Trying to see it from the eyes of VHSL member's position, it probably is better to leave it like it was last year.

The one single thing that I truly don't like is the fact that some regions play one less playoff game than the others. I don't know if I can quantify that this is an advantage, but it just adds a factor to the playoffs that taints it in my book.

Hey we have to go through Danville.
Danville is in very good hands for the next 4-5 years...Thing is, Salem has a formula that has not been duplicated. They win when it matters and I doubt they stop winning when it matters anytime soon. If Salem goes 9-1/10-0 every year, nobody in the West (4C or 4D) will beat them in the playoffs, especially if it’s in Salem. I like the rotating regions for the state semi’s. Let A play D and C play B then rotate it the next year...B play D and A play C. So what if you have to travel a little bit, the 3A teams don’t seem to mind.

Hoos, I’m going to call your boys out! They played Courtland, goes on the road and beats undefeated Monacan and Dinwiddie in back to back weeks and then plays the best defensive team in the state in Lafayette in the state semi’s. Their path was wayyy harder than Salem’s, who we all knew whoever won the Salem/Blacksburg game would go on to the state championship from the West. We would not have been able to make that judgement had we seen a Lafayette/Salem and Louisa/Sherando semifinal. Gimme 3A’s setup. If two East teams play for the championship...SO WHAT! If two West teams play..THEY EARNED IT... If a 5 loss team makes it..Who doesn’t love a Cinderella run? Rotate the regions!

I like the idea that the playoffs, aside from the regional championship to state tournament, is a big single elimination bracket like March Madness. I understand you have the same regions every year, and I understand if it's A-B and C-D every year then it's less traveling, but I wish it got changed up a bit. Let's see Region 4D powers like Salem or GW or Blacksburg take on the Richmond powers in 4B like Monacan, Dinwiddie or Louisa in the state semis instead of the championship.

Danville is in very good hands for the next 4-5 years...Thing is, Salem has a formula that has not been duplicated. They win when it matters and I doubt they stop winning when it matters anytime soon. If Salem goes 9-1/10-0 every year, nobody in the West (4C or 4D) will beat them in the playoffs, especially if it’s in Salem. I like the rotating regions for the state semi’s. Let A play D and C play B then rotate it the next year...B play D and A play C. So what if you have to travel a little bit, the 3A teams don’t seem to mind.

I am going to have to disagree with that Danville. While Salem is Salem and they win most of their games every year the last 4 years have been especially good and most of that is attributable to the kids and their committment. We had a large supply of those. Somebody got hurt someone else stepped up. Back ups played their minds out. Someone who had not been a key player makes a special play during a key time on special teams. Another factor is the kicking game. Salem went from 2005 till 2015 until they won another one. They had their chances but did not get it done. They are a program built for the long term but that doesn't mean they will win in the playoffs every year.

Hoos, I’m going to call your boys out! They played Courtland, goes on the road and beats undefeated Monacan and Dinwiddie in back to back weeks and then plays the best defensive team in the state in Lafayette in the state semi’s. Their path was wayyy harder than Salem’s, who we all knew whoever won the Salem/Blacksburg game would go on to the state championship from the West. We would not have been able to make that judgement had we seen a Lafayette/Salem and Louisa/Sherando semifinal. Gimme 3A’s setup. If two East teams play for the championship...SO WHAT! If two West teams play..THEY EARNED IT... If a 5 loss team makes it..Who doesn’t love a Cinderella run? Rotate the regions!

I don't think everyone believed that at all in the West . Salem had lost in the regular season to Dinwiddie and was clobbered by Blacksburg. Danville knocked out Amherst in convincing fashion. Amherst had led Salem earlier in the season during the first half. Glass gave Blacksburg a great game. Danville was jelling at the right time. Oh yeah BTW Louisa had beat Dinwiddie, came back to beat Monacan and toughed it out against Lafayette. Most people thought that Louisa was too big and tough. I hear this every year but the truth is you don't play the same team every year even if you have the same schedule. Salem has played some very tough Brookville teams under Woody when Logan Thomas was there, physical and speedy Amherst teams, Northside when they won two championships and when they were in it every year , and Byrd of 2016 had the best team they ever had. Now we are playing Dinwiddie. This is what I think. There is this perception that if you are Richmond East you play a tougher schedule but that is not necessarily the case every year. Dinwiddie has tried to go out of their way to schedule tougher competition. Monacan plays tougher teams. Not all the teams in the east are tough. Lafayette has sometimes had an easy schedule. It is what it is. Why is everyone trying to figure out why Salem has won three in a row. Maybe they just deserved it. There is always this angle of they played an easy schedule even though we played Dinwiddie, Blacksburg and Amherst not to mention the other teams up top.

I know there is another new high school coming in Loudoun County. I believe it is Independence High school

Loudoun has Independence High School opening in 2019 and Lightridge High School opening in 2020.

I don't think everyone believed that at all in the West . Salem had lost in the regular season to Dinwiddie and was clobbered by Blacksburg. Danville knocked out Amherst in convincing fashion. Amherst had led Salem earlier in the season during the first half. Glass gave Blacksburg a great game. Danville was jelling at the right time. Oh yeah BTW Louisa had beat Dinwiddie, came back to beat Monacan and toughed it out against Lafayette. Most people thought that Louisa was too big and tough. I hear this every year but the truth is you don't play the same team every year even if you have the same schedule. Salem has played some very tough Brookville teams under Woody when Logan Thomas was there, physical and speedy Amherst teams, Northside when they won two championships and when they were in it every year , and Byrd of 2016 had the best team they ever had. Now we are playing Dinwiddie. This is what I think. There is this perception that if you are Richmond East you play a tougher schedule but that is not necessarily the case every year. Dinwiddie has tried to go out of their way to schedule tougher competition. Monacan plays tougher teams. Not all the teams in the east are tough. Lafayette has sometimes had an easy schedule. It is what it is. Why is everyone trying to figure out why Salem has won three in a row. Maybe they just deserved it. There is always this angle of they played an easy schedule even though we played Dinwiddie, Blacksburg and Amherst not to mention the other teams up top.
I don't think @DanvilleSportsHead was saying Salem's schedule was soft, but comparing playoffs, Louisa had the tougher road overall. (That might not always be the case)

I think Salem played a tougher reg season schedule than did Louisa, but Louisa had a tougher playoff route.

I don't think @DanvilleSportsHead was saying Salem's schedule was soft, but comparing playoffs, Louisa had the tougher road overall. (That might not always be the case)

I think Salem played a tougher reg season schedule than did Louisa, but Louisa had a tougher playoff route.
Definitely Mike. That’s no knock against Salem at all.

Reactions: freeatlast2013
Definitely Mike. That’s no knock against Salem at all.
Louisa's run to the championship game was as tough as I've seen in a while. It was similar to Salem in 2015- beating undefeated Champe and JF on the road to make it to the finals. (Louisa had a 3rd tough game in Monacan, Dinwiddie, and Lafayette to make it to the finals- no byes either)

Louisa's run to the championship game was as tough as I've seen in a while. It was similar to Salem in 2015- beating undefeated Champe and JF on the road to make it to the finals. (Louisa had a 3rd tough game in Monacan, Dinwiddie, and Lafayette to make it to the finals- no byes either)
Not to mention Courtland taking it to Louisa for much of the game, and led at halftime. The Lions had to get their heads together and make a bunch of clutch plays.

I did not take it as a swipe at Salem at all. I probably got into areas I did not have to but he was actually doing the opposite and I understand that but before you make wholesale changes you should consider some other things. One is the earlier games, or regional matchups, the way the setup is now will have better attendance at the games.

I did not take it as a swipe at Salem at all. I probably got into areas I did not have to but he was actually doing the opposite and I understand that but before you make wholesale changes you should consider some other things. One is the earlier games, or regional matchups, the way the setup is now will have better attendance at the games.
I'm fine with the regional format we've had in place the last couple of years. It makes more sense travel and gate wise.

There are arguments for and against cross bracketing at the Semifinal level. I don't mind it either way I just didn't like the set host rotation they previously used. I think the team with the higher points rating should host.

ADVERTISEMENT