ADVERTISEMENT

Staunton "Storms" Past Riverheads

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
Most basketball fans here in the Valley are very much aware of the tradition established in Staunton at (then) Robert E Lee High School under the legendary Paul Hatcher. When he retired a decade or so ago, there was a period of adjustment not only about the basketball program but about the school itself in terms of the name change, etc. As a result there were some lean years there for awhile.

But if what we witnessed tonight at Riverheads is any example, The Storm as they are now called under the direction of Coach Terrell Mickens, once again has a very established program with a DEEP well of talent and the Shenandoah District needs to take note of what the forecast looks like for the next few years. To say that The Storm was impressive tonight against the Gladiators would be an understatement.

In both the JV and varsity contests, the visiting Storm rolled out anywhere from 13-15 athletes, each one seeming to be as talented as the one beside him. They had size, they had depth, they had quickness, and last but CERTAINLY not least, they could shoot the lights out. As a result they overwhelmed Riverheads at every position and rolled to easy wins in both contests.

In the JV game, Riverheads at least scored first, as they took a 1-0 lead. But in no time at all, Staunton turned on its pressure defense and surged ahead 9-1 and it only got worse from there as they raced to a 72-27 win. One guy in particular, freshman Anthony Renne, had just an unconscious night from three-point range. The JV Gladiators did the best they could but it was simply a total mismatch.

As the Varsity teams took the floor, the first thing fans noticed was the discrepancy in both numbers and size. Staunton had 14 players to Riverheads nine, and also had a decided height advantage. They too turned on the speed almost from the opening tip and jumped out to a 7-0 lead. Riverheads did rally briefly and by the end of the first quarter the Staunton lead was only 15-10.

But the visitors poured it on in the second quarter to the tune of 22-5 and eventually won 73-44. Just like the JV team, their three point accuracy was uncanny as shots were made by far too many players to list. Not only that but senior Maaliah Cabell threw down a couple of monster dunks that would make a lot of college highlight reels.

In short, the two teams we saw tonight are clearly the class of the district. I personally cannot see how Wilson beat Staunton earlier this season but my money will be on The Storm when that re-match takes place. Not only that but based on tonight, I would give Staunton the best odds for making some serious post-season noise.

As for The Storm JVs, maybe it was RHS' misfortune that this was the night they chose to play their best game of the season, but whatever the case, the team they put on the floor tonight could beat many of the Varsity teams we have seen this year. So yes, Shenandoah District, The Storm was the real deal tonight and most likely will be for the foreseeable future.

But since my job here is to hype up the Gladiators, they have another game Saturday night with Liberty Bedford, so they need to re-focus fast and get ready for that one, especially since they swept the Minutemen down there. So the best thing The Big Red can do, and I suspect the coaches have already covered this, is to put tonight's games in the rear view mirror and just accept the fact that some nights you are going to meet teams that are significantly better than you are. After all, the Gladiators have had three games this year in which they were the ones who rolled to a huge victory over an undermanned opponent. As the old saying goes.......sometimes you are the windshield and sometimes you are the bug.

After the Liberty game, the Gladiators then turn their attention to Stuarts Draft, which will visit Tuesday. Meanwhile, good news from Staunton tonight as the Lady Gladiators hit the road to the Paul Hatcher gym and tamed the Staunton ladies 43-29. That was a much needed win for them as they are still in playoff contention and beating a Class 3-A team is a good way to stay there.

Reactions: pizzzzza
According to the district website, Staunton JV is 13-0 and the closest margin of victory has been 16.

8 Sophomores and no 8th graders on JV roster for Staunton according to website. 6 Seniors on Varsity. That's a lot of older talent on both teams. I believe their boys middle school team is usually the best around also. Still got a real tough region to get out of though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT