ADVERTISEMENT

Stone Bridge crowned State champs

wgarlick

Writer Virginiapreps.Rivals.Com
Staff
Jul 4, 2006
Stone Bridge scored four runs in the first two innings then held on to defeat George Marshall 9-4 for the 5A State championship. The Bulldogs pounded out 12 hits and broke the game open with five runs in the bottom of the 6th inning. Junior pitcher David Mocabee threw a complete game to earn the win.

John Callahan started the hit parade leading off the bottom half of the 1st inning with a double. Mocabee drove him in with a sacrifice fly and Michael Kuzbel singled to score another run.

George Marshall tied the game at two with senior Will Brooke went deep over the left field fence with a runner on. Brooke also had a solo shot in the 7th inning but the Statemen couldn't reproduce their 5-run 7th inning from a day before.

The Bulldogs regained the lead in the bottom half of the inning. Josh Greenberg and Callahan both singled in the second inning and Stone Bridge loaded the bases after a walk to Eric Johnson. Mocabee grounded into a fielders choice scoring Greenberg from 3rd base. Eli Quiceno then singled to put Stone Bridge in-front 4-2

"We knew they could hit," Stone Bridge head coach Sam Plank said. "I knew going in we had to score a lot of runs. We knew they were going to play the last out.

Stone Bridge put the game away in their final at-bat. Kuzbel cleared the bases with a 2-run single to give the Bulldogs a 6-3 lead. Tanner Karafa scored on a double steal. Greenberg grounded into a fielders choice and Dylan Beck reached on an error allowing the final Stone Bridge run to cross the plate.

They rally possibly helped Mocabee finished the game. They Bulldogs led by only one (4-3) before posting five runs in the 6th inning. Mocabee finished the day going seven innings while allowing nine hits. He had one strikeout and did not allow a bases on balls.

"I was going to stay with him," Plank said. "He wasn't going to let me take him out. We had (Lawton) Riggs ready. I know that 'look' and knew he could finish it."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT