ADVERTISEMENT

Strike zones

Hampton Roads 6

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Feb 22, 2003
I have noticed this spring that the strike zones are smaller than ever for most umpires, at every level. I was at a college game recently and the count on almost every batter seemed to reach 3-2. Umpires should read their rule books, and then call game IAW rule book. A pitch does not have to be knee high in middle of plate to be called a strike.

I am not complaining about officials. I am just stating a fact. If anyone disagrees with me, go to several games and sit behind home plate, and observe the strike zone

Sorry, I don't agree with you (imagine) I see and hear just as many folks complaining of the "low strike" or "c'mon ump, he couldn't hit that standing on a ladder". So it is how it's always been, varying degrees of differences, umpire to umpire.

Coaches, players, and spectators are not perfect while playing and participating in sporting events at all levels and make plenty of mistakes during the games. The problem I see at sporting events is people like hr6 expect officials to NEVER miss call, but what makes the games a game is there is room for human error. Officials do not go to games to screw certain teams or schools they officiate because they enjoy the sport and still want to particpate in some fashion. Sorry to get on my soap box and have a little raint but people like hr6 irritate me when they think everytime their team losses it always bad officiating. He doesn't think about the 3 interceptions the quarteback threw in the 2 quarter that resulted in touchdowns for the opposing team, or the coach true to stretch a standing double to a triple with 2 outs in a 1 run ball game and he gets thrown out at third. Sorry again for the raint.

I have always maintained, and will always maintain, the strike zone should be the same for EVERY UMPIRE. No where in rule book says an umpire has authority to establish his own individual zone. The strike zone is defined clearly in rule book.
Now granted every umpire willl miss a strike/ball from time to time. Problem I have is with those who rewrite the rule book.

I do not believe that any umpire CHANGES the strike zone outside of the rule book intentally. It is my opinion that each umpire calls the balls and strikes in their best judgement to what their definition and appearance of the strike zone is, now just because YOU stand behind the catcher watching balls and strikes it may look like a strike to you but that is not always the case, you have several things working against you that the umpire does not: 1st you are farther away from the pitch, 2nd you have 2 people (catcher and umpire) in your way, 3rd and this is in most cases you are wanting a certain outcome in the game. Most of the time the teams that win games are the teams that have the classiest coaches, players, and fans. By classy I mean not ranting and arguing every call that is made. Those are also the most respected teams in all sports.

I do believe that you are the type of person that will always blame and point out mistakes by officials that change the result of the game and to a certain degree I do agree with you, but instead of blaming the official for blowing that call in the 4th quarter or in the last inning, put the blame where it belongs (because each team in high school gets 4 12 minute quarters, or 21 outs per game to try and win) on the coaches and players.

Several years ago I "infiltrated" a NCAA Umpires Clinic. For 2 days the guy giving clinic went over everything an umpire should know..................except strike zone. it was never mentioned, which I found unusual. There's that un-written rule that umpires can set their own strike zone, which isn't good for the game.

HR6, did you learn your spying skills watching Mission Impossible back in the late 60's and early 70's. Maybe Gretna High had a spying class a few years ago. Strike zones are basically an umpires opinion. You know what opinions are like.

Congrats to Altavista winning their second game of the year beating Gretna 10 to 6
and Altavista with out their big slugger Reynolds tonight.

Granted they are umpire's opinion, which is something I have never understood, in that it's defined in every rule book I have ever read.

I have been to several NCAA rules clinics, (INVITED not infiltrated) there is no need to discuss the strike zone at the clinic because the rule book definition has not changed. The only rules that are discussed at these clinics are rule changes.
I think that you make things up as you go along, I have never heard anyone say that it is an unwriiten rule for umpires to have their own strike zone. You
are right when you say that the strike zone is clearly defined. However, the way that I see it may not be the same way you see it when we are looking at different angles, especially when the umpire does not care who wins, but you do.
This post was edited on 4/27 11:37 PM by knightfball11

I've been to one h.s. baseball game and one h.s. softball game this season. I'm sure once playoffs start I will be to many more.

The ones I've seen have had generous strike zones. In the words of a good friend of mine, a well-respected umpire, if you want to walk, buy a dog.

I can't speak to the high or low part of the zone, but it usually extends a few inches off the plate, although consistent for every batter.

I covered a softball regional semifinal doubleheader last year where, for some reason, the same guy had the plate for both games, although the rest of the crew changed. I was told he was the top umpire in the local association. I'm not one to complain, but his zone moved all over the place. Two pitches in the exact same place would be called different things in the same at-bat. It seemed like when a pitch came in, he would flip a coin to decide if it was a ball or strike.

As one who doesn't care who wins a game, I can say that the incredible wandering zone didn't favor or hurt either team, although pitchers and batters on each team had moments of frustration.

But hey, I tried umpiring many years ago. It's very, very hard to do well. I was so bad I even knew it and decided I would not damage the game any further.

Four hour game

I was recently at a college game that lasted over 4 hours, mainly because the plate umpire wanted every strike "down middle of plate".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT