ADVERTISEMENT

Stuarts Draft/William Monroe Game Delayed by Rain

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
I only live about 5 minutes from the Draft so my plan tonight was to ride down to the game around halftime, and if it was competitive, I would stand outside and watch the rest. Well on the way down there it poured the rain on me, so I wondered what I would find.

When I got there around 7:15, the stadium was empty but there were cars all around. I found someone to ask and she told me the score had been tied at 7 midway through the second quarter when they cleared the field. So I decided to wait to see what might happen.

About 7:35, I saw players warming up on the field and heard the PA guy say to be careful as you re-entered because the bleachers might be slippery. I was puzzled that they were trying to re-start the game because I was still seeing lightning in the distance.

Within five minutes of his first announcement, he came on again and said "we are again in a lightning delay." So I assumed it was a lost cause and came home. I have heard constant thunder and rain all night and it is now nearly midnight and still rumbling out there, so I assume the game was never completed.

One of my Riverheads sources is now telling me through Facebook that they hope to resume the game Sunday at 1:00 but they may be having trouble finding officials. So if I hear an update, I will pass it along or if anyone else hears if it really is going to be finished, please let us know. Sounds like it was headed down the wire to a great finish.

• Wow
Reactions: Raiders Radio
I only live about 5 minutes from the Draft so my plan tonight was to ride down to the game around halftime, and if it was competitive, I would stand outside and watch the rest. Well on the way down there it poured the rain on me, so I wondered what I would find.

When I got there around 7:15, the stadium was empty but there were cars all around. I found someone to ask and she told me the score had been tied at 7 midway through the second quarter when they cleared the field. So I decided to wait to see what might happen.

About 7:35, I saw players warming up on the field and heard the PA guy say to be careful as you re-entered because the bleachers might be slippery. I was puzzled that they were trying to re-start the game because I was still seeing lightning in the distance.

Within five minutes of his first announcement, he came on again and said "we are again in a lightning delay." So I assumed it was a lost cause and came home. I have heard constant thunder and rain all night and it is now nearly midnight and still rumbling out there, so I assume the game was never completed.

One of my Riverheads sources is now telling me through Facebook that they hope to resume the game Sunday at 1:00 but they may be having trouble finding officials. So if I hear an update, I will pass it along or if anyone else hears if it really is going to be finished, please let us know. Sounds like it was headed down the wire to a great finish.
Mon at 630

Monday at 630, they waited till 930 or later to make the decision and then still was going back and forth with each decision that they was making

I wish them luck because the weather forecast the next few days calls for chances of rain each evening. Reminds me of Riverheads at Page County baseball a few years ago. They got rained out one day before they could even get started, and then got rained out the next day in the top of the first inning. After that they just gave up and never re-played it.

I wish them luck because the weather forecast the next few days calls for chances of rain each evening. Reminds me of Riverheads at Page County baseball a few years ago. They got rained out one day before they could even get started, and then got rained out the next day in the top of the first inning. After that they just gave up and never re-played it.
I seen on Facebook where it will be free,

Cool. I was wondering about that. So all county fans...come on out and see if the Cougars can put this one in the win column. After all we will want them to be unbeaten when the Gladiators come calling in a few weeks.

Reactions: Bama1985
The enemy of good is better. If I'm not mistaken, the game was originally supposed to start at 3pm, not 6 pm. They moved it to 6. In a time with Covid and weird weather phenomenons, it probably isn't a good move to get greedy or picky and choosy with game times. Meaning, play the game as soon as you can get it in. I think Draft should have had a scheduled start time for 12 pm noon. This gives more leadway, shortens the time for a pop up Covid case that could shut everything down instantly, or bad weather. The Monday game is supposed to be in the evening at 630ish. If the kids are not in school yet, make this an 11 AM start on Monday, not a 630 start where there is little margin for error if anything goes wrong. Only my take.

The enemy of goodies better. If I'm not mistaken, the game was originally supposed to start at 3pm, not 6 pm. They moved it to 6. In a time with Covid and weird weather phenomenons, it probably isn't a good move to get greedy or picky and choosy with game times. Meaning, play the game as soon as you can get it in. I think Draft should have had a scheduled start time for 12 pm noon. This gives more leadway, shortens the time for a pop up Covid case that could shut everything down instantly, or bad weather. The Monday game is supposed to be in the evening at 630ish. If the kids are not in school yet, make this an 11 AM start on Monday, not a 630 start where there is little margin for error if anything goes erong Only my take.

With the above, there is much we don't know that goes into scheduling and it's easy to armchair leadership's decisions when not in the situation. Hopefully they get this game in safely and the weather holds up.

The enemy of good is better. If I'm not mistaken, the game was originally supposed to start at 3pm, not 6 pm. They moved it to 6. In a time with Covid and weird weather phenomenons, it probably isn't a good move to get greedy or picky and choosy with game times. Meaning, play the game as soon as you can get it in. I think Draft should have had a scheduled start time for 12 pm noon. This gives more leadway, shortens the time for a pop up Covid case that could shut everything down instantly, or bad weather. The Monday game is supposed to be in the evening at 630ish. If the kids are not in school yet, make this an 11 AM start on Monday, not a 630 start where there is little margin for error if anything goes wrong. Only my take.
Pretty sure heat index was too high to play it earlier in the day. Saw where Covenant in Charlottesville started their game Saturday morning at 10am and was called at halftime due to heat index.

I don't have any first hand information but they did not get that game completed today and with the upcoming weather, not to mention the rest of the schedule, my guess is that they will not try to make it up. But like I said, that is just my hunch. So please if anyone knows differently, post it.

What I seen on Facebook Sunday, someone posted if they did not finish this game that both teams would forfeit and would count as a loss and could hurt them come playoffs, if the game would have made it to halftime then it would have been a official game, so not sure what they will do, or how they will do the outcome, GUNZ 41 where are you at I am sure u know more about this, I know they are moving alot of the jv games to today instead of wed because of all the storms coming in

I'm here. Just tired of everything posted on the site turning into an argument, telling people what they should do, etc.

Anyway, it has not been canceled, just make up is TBD later. And SD JV game is scheduled for tonight

Should have played Friday night. I don't know the rules on how soon Draft could have played when coming off Covid quarantine, but if they were legally able to play Friday night, then they should have. William Monroe isn't beating Draft on a dry field, so Draft could have been rusty from Covid stuff and still have won while forgoing one extra practice.

Draft should have scheduled the game for 10-11 AM on Saturday as the second option in order to avoid the heat index thing. Draft scheduled it Saturday evening and lightening got them leaving them no margin for error to make the game up that same weekend.

What I'm getting at is....there is ZERO margin for error this year with scheduling. Any game can be cancelled literally seconds before kickoff due to Covid and it's a given that many teams are going to have some games dropped due to Covid. The LAST thing you want is to have a game dropped due to some reason other than Covid such as lightening. This is why it's critical to play the games ASAP. If you are scheduled for a Saturday game right now, you should be on the phone and trying to do everything possible to move it to Friday night because COVID can strike easily from Friday night to Saturday AM. Also, if you have to play Saturday, move it to 11AM to give yourself margin for error for lightening in the day, heat index, etc, where you could then possibly get it in Saturday evening.

I think there are some ADs just willy nillying and being more reactive than proactive and some schools are going to get nailed. If you are playing an inferior opponent on a Friday night and the opponent agrees to play Thursday night, then moving that game up by one day is smart because again, Covid can work it's magic easily from Thursday night through Friday afternoon. The Draft thing could have been prevented it sounds, bit complacency and going through the motions, being reactive cost those kids one football game that probably will not be made up.

The last thing you want to do in Virginia is have a Saturday game unless it's unavoidable. If you share a stadium like Bluefield and Graham and are forced to play a game on a day other than a Friday, the first option to look into should be playing that game on a Thursday instead of Saturday, as you decrease the time allowed for Covid to pop up it's evil head, and if weather happens Thursday night, you have some lead way on Saturday.

Should have played Friday night. I don't know the rules on how soon Draft could have played when coming off Covid quarantine, but if they were legally able to play Friday night, then they should have. William Monroe isn't beating Draft on a dry field, so Draft could have been rusty from Covid stuff and still have won while forgoing one extra practice.

Draft should have scheduled the game for 10-11 AM on Saturday as the second option in order to avoid the heat index thing. Draft scheduled it Saturday evening and lightening got them leaving them no margin for error to make the game up that same weekend.

What I'm getting at is....there is ZERO margin for error this year with scheduling. Any game can be cancelled literally seconds before kickoff due to Covid and it's a given that many teams are going to have some games dropped due to Covid. The LAST thing you want is to have a game dropped due to some reason other than Covid such as lightening. This is why it's critical to play the games ASAP. If you are scheduled for a Saturday game right now, you should be on the phone and trying to do everything possible to move it to Friday night because COVID can strike easily from Friday night to Saturday AM. Also, if you have to play Saturday, move it to 11AM to give yourself margin for error for lightening in the day, heat index, etc, where you could then possibly get it in Saturday evening.

I think there are some ADs just willy nillying and being more reactive than proactive and some schools are going to get nailed. If you are playing an inferior opponent on a Friday night and the opponent agrees to play Thursday night, then moving that game up by one day is smart because again, Covid can work it's magic easily from Thursday night through Friday afternoon. The Draft thing could have been prevented it sounds, bit complacency and going through the motions, being reactive cost those kids one football game that probably will not be made up.

The last thing you want to do in Virginia is have a Saturday game unless it's unavoidable. If you share a stadium like Bluefield and Graham and are forced to play a game on a day other than a Friday, the first option to look into should be playing that game on a Thursday instead of Saturday, as you decrease the time allowed for Covid to pop up it's evil head, and if weather happens Thursday night, you have some lead way on Saturday.

You want SD AD phone number??? Seems like you have all the answers for every situation man.

Have a good one

Reactions: schoolboard
Welcome back, and I stand by the post.

Then by all means, go to your local school and tell that AD how to do their job.

Or let someone on here come and do it for you.

You have absolutely ZERO clue on what the reasons were for the game being changed (and SD certainly wasn't the only one btw), yet you want to offer your expert expertise.

Of course, this comes from the same person who spoke negatively about programs and not having high vaccine rates and boasting about another, all the while having incorrect information.

But we can move past that to something even easier. I know of many games that completed this past weekend, so that would be more than the zero you thought.

As for the substance of your post, you can certainly be right. But to speak negatively about ANYONE without having facts is wrong.

So, since I know everyone involved in the conversations that took place from SD, that must mean you were either someone from WM or part of the other contingency behind the scenes.

As for me, I will continue to trust the guy who is dealing with all these issues DIRECTLY over someone on a message board.

Have a good one fella.

Reactions: schoolboard
. If you share a stadium like Bluefield and Graham and are forced to play a game on a day other than a Friday, the first option to look into should be playing that game on a Thursday instead of Saturday, as you decrease the time allowed for Covid to pop up it's evil head, and if weather happens Thursday night, you have some lead way on Saturday.
Actually, that's about their ONLY option, since they play college ball there on Saturdays. I can't rem. a reg. season Sat. game at Mitchell.

Being told, not confirmed, that the Region is only taking 6 teams this season. This could be huge for Draft if they have to take a loss for the Monroe game. Add 2 possible losses to Riverheads and it could keep them out of the playoffs.

At Radford, our AD has/is taking a proactive approach for scheduling. Several other schools around the state are doing this which is why I made the post about Draft and scheduling with William Monroe. Certainly not this old farts idea of how to schedule. I have enough trouble spelling schedule, but I'm aware of our local AD and several in the area that are looking at ways to be proactive, possibly moving games up, taking as many steps as possible to prevent games from being cancelled, but doing so in a safe and effective manner. I wish all safety and good health, and hopefully, an awesome football season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT